Don’t get Back 14 years in Just One Day

Our landscape continues to change as we enter in to Summer. During our commute to work through the country, the corn really grew this week and who can blame it with all the rain and sun. It’s definitely knee-high by the 4th of July. In town, all the usual pop-up fireworks stores have returned, including our favorite – the Black Cat tent! Ann & I took turns doing good deeds this week. Our bodies continued to remind us that getting gold sucks. I did manage to get in twelve-plus miles of walking this week. Matt continued to work when not attending summer school. Abby danced, worked and went to summer school. Luke & I attended the big, annual downtown event. Luke was again a three-sport athlete this week and he had more games cancelled than he got to play in – due to Tropical Storm Cindy. Here are Father’s Day pictures from last weekend.

lbd17.02 fd17.01 fd17.02 fd17.03 fd17.04 fd17.05 fd17.06 fd17.07 fd17.08 fd17.09 fd17.10 fd17.11 fd17.12 fd17.13 fd17.14

On Monday, Matt worked at Aspen Place then ran 5 miles. Abby had school then cleaned her room (finally) but dragged poor Trevin in to help her. Later, she worked at Wings & Rings until late. Luke had basketball camp then played baseball for the Cubs with Drew because they were down a couple guys. Offensively, he went 1-2 with single, walk and foul-tipped K. He stole 3 bases, scored a run and had an RBI. Defensively he played 3rd, 1st & center. Ann went back to work today in Abe Lincoln but still heard no work on Black Betty. I had the day off to rest my aching body. I’ve noticed that I don’t usually feel sore the day after a big strain / workout…but rather it’s the second day that I feel it. That day was no exception and I was glad I’d taken it off. It also allowed me to do my weekly household chores and set up my new laptop. At the game, Bryan & I sat down the 1st base line, catching up when the boys were in the field and taking turns coaching 1st base when they were at-bat. After the game, we took the boys to Dairy Point for ice cream after Luke hit the grass again – LOL. I enjoyed watching Joe Bonamassa on Conan that night and sadly we learned that Stephen Furst (Flounder from Animal House) passed away.
Tuesday was a gorgeous day. It was back to work for me. I hate taking Mondays off because the rest of the week is filled with Mondays as you try to play catch-up. I walked 3 miles afterward without Justin, who couldn’t get away from work. Matt and Abby had school then both kids came with Ann & Trevin out to the ballpark to root on the Marlins. Luke, who had basketball camp earlier this morning, was out at the ball diamonds again. This time he faced off against Waldron again. He played RF, CF & 1B in the field, where he made a couple errors (in left – his first time playing that position) on one play. He went 1-2 at plate with single, walk & K on a nasty curveball that we gave him hell about the rest of the night. He also reached on a dropped 3rd strike. He had 6 stolen bases, scored 3 runs and had an RBI. We won 14-4 in 5th inning due to the 10-run-rule! After the game, Bryan joined us for a celebratory dinner at BWR on wings & beer night!

lpwc17.01 lpwc17.02 lbww17.01 lbww17.02 lbww17.03 lbww17.04 lbww17.05 lbww17.06 lbww17.07 lbww17.08 lbww17.09 lbww17.10 lbww17.11 lbww17.12 lbww17.13 lbww17.14 lbww17.15 lbww17.16 lbww17.17 lbww17.18 lbww17.19 lbww17.20 lbww17.21 lbww17.22 lbww17.23 lbww17.24 lbww17.25 lbww17.26 lbww17.27 lbww17.28 lbww17.29 lbww17.30 lbww17.31 lbww17.32 lbww17.33 lbww17.34 lbww17.35 lbww17.36 lbww17.37 lbww17.38

We had a hot and humid summer solstice on Wednesday. Justin & I walked 2 ½ miles after work. We had to stop short of our three-mile goal due to overheating. It was really cooking that afternoon! Before work, I picked up our new A/C that we had to special-order from Lowe’s. Abby had summer school then technique class that evening. Matt worked at Aspen then went to Andy’s house for the evening. Luke had basketball camp. When I got home, Luke & I went to ball diamonds to play the other undefeated team in the league, FC Remaxx. Ann had to work late that night. We were down a player so I spent about an hour trying to find a replacement and we ended up with a very competitive lineup. We took the field for warmups and it started to rain, which was no problem. In fact, it was going to be fun. But as we finished and the umpire called for the first batter, it thundered loudly and we were pulled off the field for 20 minutes. Unfortunately, it rained harder and harder, flooding the field and after about 30 minutes, they cancelled the game. We had to wait for another 15 minutes or so before it calmed down enough to leave the facility. We took advantage of our extra free time by going out to pick-up Luke’s birthday presents that he helped pick out (he’s no fun). On the way back, we stopped to help a guy who had dumped a load of folding 8’ tables in the middle of the US421 / HWY3 intersection by BWR. Abby happened to be driving by while we were in the middle of the street, getting stuff off to the side and she was worried that something had happened to us but it was just a good Samaritan story. :0) We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp17.06.209 smp17.06.210 smp17.06.211 smp17.06.212 smp17.06.213 smp17.06.214 smp17.06.215 smp17.06.216 smp17.06.217 smp17.06.218 smp17.06.219 smp17.06.220 smp17.06.221 smp17.06.222 smp17.06.223 smp17.06.224 smp17.06.225 smp17.06.226 smp17.06.227 smp17.06.228 smp17.06.229 smp17.06.230 smp17.06.231 smp17.06.232 smp17.06.233 smp17.06.234 smp17.06.235 smp17.06.236 smp17.06.237 smp17.06.238 smp17.06.239 smp17.06.240 smp17.06.241 smp17.06.242 smp17.06.243 smp17.06.244 smp17.06.245 smp17.06.246 smp17.06.247 smp17.06.248 smp17.06.249 smp17.06.250

Matt was up early and off to Muncie for school on Thursday. Abby had school and then Pirateers that afternoon. Luke had basketball camp at the Fieldhouse again that morning. Luke & Matt helped me install the A/C in our bedroom after work while Ann visited with the neighbors. Man, did I sleep like a baby that night! Luke sold a pair of shoes (he will be a good salesman one day!) before heading off to football practice in the rain at the junior high school. Ann made cheeseburgers for dinner while Matt & I watched the NBA draft. We were thrilled to see former Boilermaker, Caleb “Biggie” Swanigan, get drafted #26 by the Portland Trailblazers.
We woke up to a rainy Friday commute in to work. It kept raining all day and with it, the flash-flood warnings started rolling in on our phones. Matt had school in Muncie again but this time it was a practicum at daycare center. He wasn’t happy as he spent nearly 4 hours outside in the rain. Abby had school then drove up to Megan’s house. Luke had basketball camp. A couple hours after camp, we learned that his baseball game that evening, vs. FC Zimmer, had been cancelled due to rain. We got about 4” due to the remnants of Tropical Storm Cindy. It also cancelled Abby & Megan’s concert at Deer Creek – which would’ve been a good one – Nickelback and Daughtry. I’m sure it will be rescheduled, but the whole front parking lot was under water…and I’ll bet that lawn seating would’ve been a mess. Since she was already up there when the announcement came, Bu spent the night at Megan’s house. Ann cooked ham and au gratin potatoes for dinner and we watched the return of the Gong Show with Mike Myers…with mixed feelings. It was pretty good at times, so we’ll see how it does the rest of the summer. Here are some random pictures from this week.

sis17.06.115 sis17.06.116 sis17.06.117 sis17.06.118 sis17.06.119 sis17.06.120 sis17.06.121 sis17.06.122 sis17.06.122a sis17.06.123 sis17.06.124 sis17.06.125 sis17.06.126 sis17.06.127 sis17.06.128 sis17.06.129 sis17.06.130 sis17.06.131 sis17.06.132 sis17.06.133 sis17.06.134 sis17.06.135 sis17.06.136 sis17.06.137 sis17.06.138 sis17.06.139 sis17.06.140 sis17.06.141 sis17.06.142 sis17.06.143 sis17.06.144 sis17.06.145 sis17.06.146 sis17.06.147 sis17.06.148 sis17.06.149 sis17.06.150 sis17.06.151 sis17.06.152 sis17.06.153 sis17.06.154 sis17.06.155 sis17.06.156 sis17.06.157 sis17.06.158 sis17.06.159 sis17.06.160 sis17.06.161 sis17.06.162 sis17.06.163 sis17.06.164 sis17.06.165 sis17.06.166 sis17.06.167 sis17.06.168 sis17.06.169 sis17.06.170

By the time we work up on Saturday morning, the clouds had blown through and the sun returned. It was a beautiful day. I ran Black Betty out to Acra’s so they could finish up the repair from earlier this week. Abby came home from spending the night with Megan, took a nap and then went to work at BWR. She came home with Trevin and commandeered the family room until very late in the morning. It was Luke’s 14th birthday! It’s hard to believe that our baby will be an 8th grader next year. He & I enjoyed our weekly Saturday routine. We mowed and trimmed the yard. Then we did lunch uptown at the Tenderloin Throwdown on the square. We got to eat eight different tenderloins (our faves were from Links from here in Greensburg, The Willard from Franklin and Nick’s Kitchen out of Ft. Wayne). We ended up voting for Nick’s who had a tasty, crunchy outer breading and a moist, soft inner pork. We walked around the square, listening to live music by three different bands at the same time (spread out around the square), taking in the sites (there was a beer garden, an ice cream social, sidewalk chalk artwork and Luke even rode a mechanical boar! Afterwards we grabbed a couple tacos at the Bell, did some HW hunting at the new indoor flea market in town and then practiced driving in Betty White around the neighborhood. Ann always makes a custom dinner and this year Luke’s requested birthday dinner consisted of taquitos with homemade cheesy gordita crunches. They were really good! We ended it with her homemade ice cream cake…yum! We chilled out the rest of the night watching movies until late in to the night.
We enjoyed sleeping in on Sunday morning…. except Matt, who had to go in to work at Aspen. In fact, we were still in bed when Mary brought by Luke’s bday cake. It was another gorgeous day and we opened the house to enjoy a phenomenal breeze. We got up and did our weekly household chores. Poor Molly wasn’t feeling well and isn’t eating or acting normal – she’s very lethargic. In the early afternoon, we had Luke’s birthday party. This year, Mom & Sandy, Dee, Jamie & Grace and Phyllis & Dick attended the event. Luke had fun with a treasure hunt to get his presents, which was a big weight set. We sang the bday song and enjoyed cake and ice cream while we visited with our friends and family. That afternoon, the boys put together the weight bench and went shoe shopping in Columbus while Abby went to work at BWR. Meanwhile, Ann and I watched racing on the big screen…which is code for we took naps. I do love road racing and all three races we watched were of this nature. I only wished they had more NASCAR races where they turned both ways other than just the two in the series. Ann made popcorn for dinner and we watched the new Fear the Walking Dead and the season premiere of Preacher…and of course, Talking Dead to finish up the night.

lbd17.01 lbd17.02 lbd17.03 lbd17.04 lbd17.05 lbd17.06 lbd17.07 lbd17.08 lbd17.09 lbd17.10 lbd17.11 lbd17.12 lbd17.13 lbd17.14 lbd17.15 lbd17.16 lbd17.17 lbd17.18 lbd17.19 lbd17.20 lbd17.21 lbd17.22 lbd17.23 lbd17.24 lbd17.25 lbd17.26 lbd17.27 lbd17.28 lbd17.29 lbd17.30 lbd17.31 lbd17.32 lbd17.33 lbd17.34 lbd17.35 lbd17.36 lbd17.37 lbd17.38 lbd17.39 lbd17.40 lbd17.41 lbd17.42 lbd17.43 lbd17.44 lbd17.45 lbd17.46 lbd17.47 lbd17.48 lbd17.49 lbd17.50 lbd17.51 lbd17.52 lbd17.53 lbd17.54 lbd17.55 lbd17.56 lbd17.57 lbd17.58 lbd17.59 lbd17.60 lbd17.61 lbd17.62 lbd17.63 lbd17.64 lbd17.65 lbd17.66 lbd17.67 lbd17.68 lbd17.69 lbd17.70 lbd17.71 lbd17.72 lbd17.73 lbd17.74 lbd17.75 lbd17.76 lbd17.77 lbd17.78 lbd17.79 lbd17.80 lbd17.81 lbd17.82 lbd17.83 lbd17.84 lbd17.85 lbd17.86 lbd17.87 lbd17.88 lbd17.89 lbd17.90

Next up is our Waybac section, which continues to feature our young family at the turn of the century, during our time in the Main St home. We lead off this week with Abby coming home to meet the family in September, 1999; then we go to Abby’s first Halloween in October 1999; Matt having some toilet time in October, 1999; Abby’s first trip up to Dad & Barb’s cabin in November, 1999 – including a great 4-generation picture of the Scheu ladies with Bu, Ann, Barb & Granny; Abby’s first Christmas – first at the station then back at the Main St home – in December, 1999; Abby’s first Easter in April, 2004 – with a great picture of Matt & Poppy; and we end with a slew of pictures from Abby’s first visit to the Sand Pebble during Week 19 where Abby loved the gulf.

Waybac.1999.09.achtms22 Waybac.1999.09.achtms23 Waybac.1999.09.achtms24 Waybac.1999.09.achtms25 Waybac.1999.10.homs10 Waybac.1999.10.homs11 Waybac.1999.10.homs12 Waybac.1999.10.homs13 Waybac.1999.10.homs14 Waybac.1999.11.afttc22 Waybac.1999.11.afttc23 Waybac.1999.11.afttc24 Waybac.1999.11.afttc25 Waybac.1999.11.afttc26 Waybac.1999.11.afttc27 Waybac.1999.11.afttc28 Waybac.1999.11.afttc29 Waybac.1999.11.afttc30 Waybac.1999.12.afcars22 Waybac.1999.12.afcars23 Waybac.1999.12.afcars24 Waybac.1999.12.afcars25 Waybac.1999.12.afcoms22 Waybac.1999.12.afcoms23 Waybac.1999.12.afcoms24 Waybac.1999.12.afcoms25 Waybac.2000.04.afeoms22 Waybac.2000.04.afeoms23 Waybac.2000.04.afeoms24 Waybac.2000.05.afttsp21 Waybac.2000.05.afttsp22 Waybac.2000.05.afttsp23 Waybac.2000.05.afttsp24 Waybac.2000.05.afttsp25 Waybac.2000.05.afttsp26 Waybac.2000.05.afttsp27 Waybac.2000.05.afttsp28 Waybac.2000.05.afttsp29 Waybac.2000.05.afttsp30 Waybac.2000.05.afttsp31 Waybac.2000.05.afttsp32 Waybac.2000.05.afttsp33 Waybac.2000.05.afttsp34 Waybac.2000.05.afttsp35 Waybac.2000.05.afttsp36 Waybac.2000.05.afttsp37 Waybac.2000.05.afttsp38 Waybac.2000.05.afttsp39 Waybac.2000.05.afttsp40 Waybac.2000.05.afttsp41

And we end with our video segment. This week we have two new home movies as well as several vids from around the internet.

Well that does it for this week’s episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply