Come on…You don’t Fight Fair

It was another hot week that saw the fair return to town…which means it rained every day! In fact, we got so much rain that there were more than one flash flood warnings. We must be getting old as we no longer enjoy the fair week. It increases traffic to and from the house – not to mention in town where we had to endure major construction on Main St that really screwed up everything. But I think the biggest thing is that we must put up with stupid people that don’t know how to act out in public. These are fringe folks that we never see…or only see at this time of year. And I hate that too because it is a 4H fair, so we enjoy seeing the kids doing all the animals and going to the booths…it’s just that it draws a certain type of people that we just can no longer tolerate at our age. We haven’t been to a demo derby in several years now… Outside of that, it was a fast week – Matt racked up the miles as he travelled between two classes, a volunteer “job” and his regular job; Abby worked and then spent a 3-day weekend with Kuyhlia and her bridesmaids; Luke enjoyed the week off, focusing on working out with his new weight set; Ann worked late a few days as she prepares her office to move to a new EMR; and I managed to get in a little over 15 miles of walking this week. During those walks, I saw the season’s first grasshoppers, butterflies and moths as well as the first lightning bugs of the year back home. Hello again and welcome back to the Scheu Family Blog.
Matt up and out the door for work before anyone else on Monday morning and then headed to U Indy for night school, where he ended up staying. It was Abby’s first day of her 2nd summer break. Luke got back from Tyler’s house that morning and thten he and Abs went junking in the afternoon. Ann returned to work for first time in a week and had a long day. I had a fast day then walked 3 miles in the rain and thunder. On our way home, we saw that the fair had come back to town and they were setting up the rides – Luke was thrilled but you already know how Ann & I felt about it. That evening, it was great to see Ann & Bu take the dogs on a walk around the neighborhood. Luke went to Tyler’s house again to play basketball and swim till dark. I went out to see Bryan at the new Sunken Boat Bar and enjoyed a cocktail or two. It really looks nice; they’ve worked really hard on it, obviously. As promised, here are pictures from last weekend for Gracie’s 17th bday party.

sis17.07.58 gbdp17.01 gbdp17.02 gbdp17.03 gbpd17.04 gbdp17.05 gbdp17.06 gbdp17.07 gbpd17.08 gbpd17.09 gbdp17.10 gbdp17.11 gbdp17.12 gbdp17.13 gbdp17.14 gbdp17.15 gbdp17.16 gbdp17.17 gbdp17.18 gbdp17.19 gbdp17.20 gbdp17.21 gbdp17.22 gbdp17.23 gbdp17.24 gbdp17.25

Ann & I drove in to work on a stormy Tuesday morning. There were severe thunderstorm and flash flood warnings for most of the day. I walked 3 miles in a light rain after the storms had passed. It was a wee bit muggy, I admit. Matt had school in Muncie then came home to nap before going out with friends. Abby & Luke went to ElRep for lunch then Abby worked that evening at BWR. Luke did not have football practice due to it being fair week. Ann & I fell asleep early and little Lola was feeling better after being off her game for the last couple days.
Matt was back in to Aspen for work in the early hours of Wednesday then had night class at U Indy, where he stayed at his apartment that night. Abby worked at Wings & Rings again. Luke somehow messed up his iPhone while trying to update the OS and we worked on it when I got home. He was bummed but VZW had it replaced by Friday night, thankfully. His sissy bailed him out by letting him borrow her old iPhone 6. I walked another 3 miles with Justin after work on a very hot and muggy afternoon (man, it felt like a sauna that was as thick as pea soup). We actually jogged about 1/10 of a mile and had to stop because of my ankle. I had tried to do that on Monday as well and had to stop after like 30 steps. I had a sweaty ride home in Barney – I really have to get that air fixed! Ann worked at all three of her offices that day and then stayed late for a meeting after work. The fairgrounds were already really busy when I drove past it on the way home even though the actual county fair doesn’t start till tomorrow.
Matt had classes at U Indy on Thursday and just stayed up at school again that night. Abby & Luke came over to Columbus to shop and do lunch – stopping in to see Ann a couple times. Ann had more meetings about her new computer system as they speed ever closer to their deadline. I got in another 3 miles after work on another hot, humid day in the 90s. I don’t think we had a day this week that wasn’t around 90. We really missed the pool this week. The water would’ve felt like getting in the bath tub, which is right up Ann’s alley. We couldn’t keep Luke away from the fair on opening night. With all the kids out of the house and Gigi at the fair, Ann & I picked up Memaw and we went out to dinner at BWR and to give Bu a hard time. Here are some random pictures from this week’s adventures.

sis17.07.28 sis17.07.29 sis17.07.30 sis17.07.31 sis17.07.32 sis17.07.33 sis17.07.34 sis17.07.35 sis17.07.36 sis17.07.37 sis17.07.38 sis17.07.39 sis17.07.40 sis17.07.41 sis17.07.42 sis17.07.43 sis17.07.44 sis17.07.45 sis17.07.46 sis17.07.47 sis17.07.48 sis17.07.49 sis17.07.50 sis17.07.51 sis17.07.52 sis17.07.53 sis17.07.54 sis17.07.55 sis17.07.56 sis17.07.57 sis17.07.58

Matt stayed up in Indy again on Friday as he had to go back to Muncie to volunteer at the Y preschool again. I think he has to do it like one or two more times. Abby went to Brookville to hang out at the lake for a couple days with Kuyhlia and her bridesmaids for her bachelorette party. Luke ended up out at the fair again with Tyler. I managed to meet my goal by getting in my 15th mile this week with three more miles after work with Justin. Matt went to a concert up in Indy where his friend was in one of the opening bands, which was pretty cool. But that quickly ended when there was a bomb threat and they had to evacuate the entire block! There were reports of a small riot afterward, but Matt said it was really nothing and it was blown out of proportion. With the kids out again, Ann & I enjoyed a quiet evening.
Matt came home briefly from Indy on Saturday morning after being gone for a few days then ran off to work. Abby stayed in Brookville all day with Kuyhlia and got a sunburn after being out on the water all day! Ouch! I got up early and ran a couple errands and wrote out bills. I got Luke up and we went out in the yard to trim bushes, mow & trim the grass. Then we did our normal Saturday routine of lunch at the Bell, doing some junking for HWs, practiced driving the truck and then instead of flopping on the couch, he decided we needed to do a project. We built a shoe shelf for his closet (he is a self-proclaimed “sneaker head”). He had the design and we measured everything out and went out and got our supplies. We worked out front with our tools and the tailgate of the truck. It took us about 4 or 5 hours, but we had fun a lot of fun doing it. He ended up back out at the fair that night with his buddy Oakley to walk around, go on rides and talk to girls. Matt went out with his buddies so Ann & I ordered Pizza King & enjoyed another quiet evening… Here are some social media pictures from this week.

smp17.07.64 smp17.07.65 smp17.07.66 smp17.07.67 smp17.07.68 smp17.07.69 smp17.07.70 smp17.07.71 smp17.07.72 smp17.07.73 smp17.07.74 smp17.07.75 smp17.07.76 smpl17.07.77 smp17.07.78 smp17.07.79 smp17.07.80 smp17.07.81 smp17.07.82 smp17.07.83 smp17.07.84 smp17.07.85 smp17.07.86 smp17.07.87 smp17.07.88 smp17.07.89 smp17.07.90 smp17.07.91

We enjoyed sleeping in on Sunday morning. Matt went to work at Aspen Place. Ann went out for breakfast with Shawna at Stacks. Luke helped me set up the truck at our normal spot in the front yard of the station in preparation of the annual fair parade (we’ve been there for as long as I can remember…). Abby came back to town but had a meeting at work and ran around with friends. We did our weekly household chores and kept cool in the A/C while watching racing and catching up on the DVR…well I say we but as Ms. Ann pointed out, that really means I watched TV and she read and napped. In the early evening, we walked over to WTRE to watch the fair parade, which featured Abby for the final time. She marched with the Pirateers, performing the same routine as last week during the Independence Day parade. They marched with the county band (I assume they don’t have enough kids for three different bands), which included Drew & Hannah (Luke enjoyed throwing candy at Drew and actually hit his drum once and the back of his head once – LOL). Sandy drove the Crossfire for the WTRE entry again this year. Maryann joined Luke, Ann & I in the back of the truck. We had it covered with the gazebo again this year, which helped to keep us cool. We got lots of positive comments from the sweaty participants. There was some kind of medical incident on the parade route (not a participant), which caused a 20-minute delay. We scored another full Walmart bag-full of candy from the event. Bryan & Angie, Rick & Lynn and Rich & Jenny were in the parade again this year for the Jimmy John’s entry. There were about 60 entries altogether, which made for a great parade. We’ll have video and pictures next week. After work, Matt came home to get cleaned up and then he & Luke braved the fairgrounds…but only to pick up dinner – Smyrna pork burgers, Lett’s fish sandwiches, Smyrna-burgers…but we somehow missed out on those fresh church donuts! Ann made corn on the cob and tater tots to complete our gourmet dinner. Abby stayed out with her friends and went to dinner with them, missing out on our special meal that only comes around once a year. It was nice to sit at the kitchen table with Matt and talk. It was a great way to wind down the week and relax before we start it all up again tomorrow.
Next up is our Waybac section which has a few more of our young family at the turn of the century during our time at the Main St home. We only have a few left, so please enjoy these classic photos from our second set of six photo albums. We lead off with a real throwback – back to our college days for the “Long Hair Picture” at the Phi Delt Spring Formal in 1989 in Indy, I think; then another oldie – Ann & Stacy at our Columbus townhouse with their first-borns in 1996; a couple of Jeff Gordon (Rainbow Warrior-era) at the Speedway in Indy for the 4th Brickyard 400 (next week with be the 23rd NASCAR race there!) in August 1997; then we have Abby meeting the family in Columbus on the day of her birth in September 1999; then Abby comes home a day or so later in September 1999; next we are visiting Gma & Gigi in Ryle for Bu’s first Halloween in October 1999; Bu’s first Thanksgiving on Main St in November 1999; several of Abby’s first big Scheu family Christmas at J & J’s Lingle Ave home in December 1999; and finally, Abby meets Santa for the first time out at WTRE in December 1999.

Waybac.1989.pdtsf.lhp Waybac.1996.asfb Waybac.1997.08.byfjg01 Waybac.1997.08.byfjg02 Waybac.1999.09.amtf54 Waybac.1999.09.amtf55 Waybac.1999.09.amtf56 Waybac.1999.09.amtf57 Waybac.1999.09.amtf58 Waybac.1999.09.amtf59 Waybac.1999.09.amtf60 Waybac.1999.09.amtf61 Waybac.1999.09.amtf62 Waybac.1999.09.amtf63 Waybac.1999.09.amtf64 Waybac.1999.09.amtf65 Waybac.1999.10.afh55 Waybac.1999.10.afh56 Waybac.1999.10.afh57 Waybac.1999.10.afh58 Waybac.1999.11.amkr01 Waybac.1999.11.amkr02 Waybac.1999.11.amkr03 Waybac.1999.11.amkr04 Waybac.1999.11.amkr05 Waybac.1999.11.amkr06 Waybac.1999.11.amkr07 Waybac.1999.11.amkr08 Waybac.1999.11.amkr09 Waybac.1999.12.afsc101 Waybac.1999.12.afsc102 Waybac.1999.12.afsc103 Waybac.1999.12.afsc104 Waybac.1999.12.afsc05 Waybac.1999.12.afsc06 Waybac.1999.12.afsc07 Waybac.1999.12.afsc08 Waybac.1999.12.afsc09 Waybac.1999.12.afsc10 Waybac.1999.12.afsc11 Waybac.1999.12.afsc12 Waybac.1999.12.ams00 Waybac.1999.12.ams01 Waybac.1999.12.ams02 Waybac.1999.12.ams03 Waybac.1999.12.ams04 Waybac.1999.12.ams05 Waybac.1999.12.ams06 Waybac.1999.12.ams07

Next up is our video section which includes one new home movie this week as well as several videos from around the internet.

And that does it for this week’s entry of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply