One Day Soon you’re Gonna Reach Sixteen

It felt like a very long week at the Scheu abode for yours truly; however, I’m sure it flew by for the young ones since this was their Spring Break. It felt more like Summer Break! The kids enjoyed staying home and sleeping in this week. It was nearly a complete break as we only had dance activities this week, which is a very nice change of pace for us…and one that we know won’t last long, as the kids are all signed up for spring sports – but for the time being it was nice to catch our breaths.
On Monday, the kids stayed home for a gorgeous first day of Spring Break in the 80s! Is this Florida?? Actually, in a strange twist of fate, it was actually warmer at our home for a few days than it was at Mom & Dad B’s. We came home to find nine kids running around the front yard. Mom had her first chemo treatment. I caught some form of stomach bug and ended up in bed all day. Well, I tried to go to work but only lasted a couple hours. Ann was kind enough to put me up in her doctor’s office couch until it was time to go home. I slept there until she took me home and I went back to bed. Mom & Sandy made it safely to Buffalo for Megan’s 10th birthday. She looks so big. I’m sure Sandy has a lot more photos to share from their visit, but I have one to share today. Abby had tap dance class that evening, so I’m told. ;0)
Mom did well on her 2nd day of chemotherapy. It was another gorgeous day for the kids at home up in the mid 80s. I had to run the lawnmower over to another shop that specializes in Snappers to get all the right parts. I hope I get it back soon – we need to mow! Ann had Shawna and her girls over for drinks on the patio that evening. It was still in the 70s when I picked Bu up from jazz dance class at 9 that night. The elementary wrestling program had more photos uploaded to the site. There were a few more of Luke and a couple of Matt.

mstbp12.4 mtyo12.1 mew1.12.1 mew1.12.2 mew1.12.3 mew1.12.4 mew1.12.5 mew1.12.6 mew1.12.7 mew1.12.8 mew1.12.9 mew1.12.10 mew1.12.11 mew1.12.12 mew1.12.13 mew1.12.14 mew1.12.15

On Wednesday, Ann stayed home with the kids and took them shopping in Indy for Matt’s 16th birthday. I remember fondly sixteen years ago to this day. I was at work on the RTC unit when the call came through that I needed to go to the hospital – Ann was on her way there now!! I remember my coworkers giving me a hard time about it. While in labor, the Bulls were on TV that evening and just as Matt came in to the world – Michael Jordan made a big bucket to help seal another win on their way to yet another title that year. Matt got a new pair of shoes, a new pair of wrestling shoes, several shirts and some shorts (the boy never asks for anything). They stopped at Ruby Tuesday’s for lunch. That night Ann made a wonderful dinner of chicken fettuccini Alfredo and invited Mom & Gigi over for dinner, cake & cards. We played a couple games of euchre and Matt enjoyed his new PSVita! This had to be the warmest birthday Matt has ever had. It was 85 by the time Grandma & Gigi got to our home. I want to say there was a snow emergency back in 1996…

msbdp12.1 msbdp12.2 msbdp12.3 msbdp12.4 msbdp12.5 msbdp12.6 msbdp12.7 msbdp12.8 msbdp12.9 msbdp12.10 msbdp12.11 msbpd12.12

Thursday was more of the same with temps around 80 all day. Ann was home again as she received the first of two shipments of new kitchen appliances! Today, she received her new dishwasher and range hood (both stainless steel). The kids and I walked the neighborhood again as we have each night this week and man does it feel good to finally be getting some exercise again on a regular basis. I can already feel the difference and finally seeing a small amount of weight loss (I need a LOT more!!). Matt stayed the night at Joel’s house and Ann made popcorn for American Idol night. Friday was the final day of Spring Break for the kiddos…and it was a rainy one. The kids were stuck indoors as it rained the entire day and most of the night, bringing with it some seriously dangerous storms. Thankfully there were no tornadoes this time around, but man was there a lot of lightning. There was a small break in the weather about the time I got home and Luke had fun riding through the mud puddles while Bu & I played catch as we walked. Matt spent the night at Joel’s house again. Ann made one of our faves for dinner – breakfast! Everyone was focused on the big game that night – IU vs. KY. This time, the Wildcats took the game and eliminated the Hoosiers from the Big Dance.
Luke & I were up early on Saturday as we headed to the hardware store and purchased a replacement set of handles/ lock sets for the front door – finally!! It was not an easy task but we figured it out with only minimal shouting and cursing. ;0) We worked on it for about 3 hours, including a coat of touch-up paint. I think it turned out pretty good and God knows we needed it! Ann tried to get Abby’s glasses fixed, but the optometrist was closed. She did run Molly over to the vet and we’re glad she did – Molly requires surgery on her right ear on Monday to alleviate a hematoma the poor thing has on it. Matt finally made a brief appearance – enough for him to enjoy his birthday party where we had cake & ice cream and presents. Dee & Jamie were in attendance, as were Phyllis & Dick, Maryann & Sandy and even Dad & Barb Scheu! It was their first time down in several years. We ended up singing the death march version of the birthday song for him. Everyone left early – even Mom & Sandy who were supposed to be playing the rubber match in our euchre tourney. Matt went back out with his buddies to play airsoft guns and ended up spending the night at Joel’s house again.

mstbp12.1 mstbp12.2 mstbp12.3 mstbp12.4 mstbp12.5 mstbp12.6 mstbp12.7 mstbp12.8 mstbp12.9 mstbp12.10 mstbp12.11 mstbp12.12 mstbp12.13 mstbp12.14 mstbp12.15 mstbp12.16 mstbp12.17 mstbp12.18 mstbp12.19 mstbp12.20 mstbp12.21 mstbp12.22 mstbp12.23 mstbp12.24 mstbp12.25 mstbp12.26 mstbp12.27 mstbp12.28 mstbp12.29 mstbp12.30 mstbp12.31 mstbp12.32 mstbp12.33 mstbp12.34 mstbp12.35

On Sunday, we were Matt-less as we headed out of the house early and traveled north to Warren Central in Indy for the Applause Talent dance competition. It was a very large and very nice (but aged) facility where attendance was poor (likely due to being on a Sunday?). There were no cameras allowed, so we were at the mercy of the host’s pix & flix – of which we bought, of course – as we do every competition. Abby danced with her recreational tap group in the small group competition. They danced to an updated version of the old Bangle’s hit, “Manic Monday.” The girls looked great with their big hair, bold colors and large earrings! …and they nailed it! They had a great rendition of the dance and earned a high gold and 8th overall in a class that had both competition and recreation (like Abby, a recreational entry practices an hour or so each week vs. 20+ hours of a competition group). Not too bad. They have two more competitions this spring as well. Ann & I thought they could’ve / should’ve had more, but we may be biased. Anyhow, we will have video and pictures next week to share. We celebrated her success by taking her to Outback steakhouse where I think everyone had big hunk of meat! Luke came home and went bike riding with Oakley and then went to Alex’s house for a while. Matt came home late and Bu & I exercised and then went to Dairy Point for a couple chocolate malts! Yum!! Later, we all took a nap and relaxed on the couches, watching NASCAR, basketball and of course the Simpsons & Family Guy.
Here are this week’s videos – two of which are family movies of Matt’s 16th birthday and the rest are miscellaneous from around the internet…

Next, let’s take a look at a few Waybac photos that we have this week. Leading off, we have a couple more wedding photos from April of 1968 in Lafayette for Grandma & Grandpa Scheu. Also included in these photos are Uncle Chuck & Aunt Judy, Uncle Hank & Aunt Sue, Grandpa Bryan & Rick Gray, Aunt Brenda & “Little” Vickie Albrights, Aunt Sally and Aunt Mary, cousins Billy & Vicky, Uncle John, my Granny & Grandpa Scheu, and cousins David & Cathy. …And then several from a decade later in the same city during June of 1978 for more wedding photos – this time for Grandma & Grandpa Bryan, which also includes Vickie Crum, Uncle Dan, me, and a couple of old friends of Grandpa B’s.

Waybac.1968.04.madsw102 Waybac.1968.04.madsw103 Waybac.1978.06.madbw57 Waybac.1978.06.madbw58 Waybac.1978.06.madbw59 Waybac.1978.06.madbw60 Waybac.1978.06.madbw61 Waybac.1978.06.madbw62

In the next section, we have a picture of my brother Robby’s first day at our home in California and then several of him at 6 days old in November of 1979 and then 4 years old in 1983.

Waybac.1979.10.rfdhfh Waybac.1979.11.02.rsdo1 Waybac.1979.11.02.rsdo2 Waybac.1979.11.02.rsdo3 Waybac.1979.11.02.rsdo4 Waybac.1979.11.02.rsdo5 Waybac.1983.r4yop

And finally, we end with our Shit that Luke Says section – On our way home from dance competition today, Luke looked at his new headphones and said, “Dad! Why did you get me a pair of large headphones?” I asked him how he knew they were large-sized. He answered, “It has an ‘L’ on one side!” To which, I told him, “That is the left side of your headphones.” 😉
And that wraps up another episode of the Scheu Family Blog. As always, thanks for keeping up with us this week and we’ll catch up with you next time. Until then, have a good one.
Later, Scheu

1 comment to One Day Soon you’re Gonna Reach Sixteen

  • sharon

    Hello Tom, the oldercouple with Ron and Sandy are Uncle Buck and Aunt Ethel Virden. Uncle Buck was Mary Bryan (my mom)’s brother. Both have passed. Please know you are in my prayers daily.Love, Aunt Sharon.

Leave a Reply