When it Rains and Shines…it’s just a State of Mind

Well another week is in the rearview mirror, here at the Scheu abode. Matt enjoyed the week off, spending time with Taylor and coordinating things to get his summer job at Aspen Place transferred up to a facility near his apartment. Abby worked at Wings & Rings, spent time with us and her friends and even got in some Garrett time. Luke was a three-sport athlete…well sort of, anyhow. His week was filled with baseball games, football practices and basketball workouts. He enjoyed one of his best games in a long time, which was cool to see. Ann continued to work hard at rehabbing her knees but her thighs were so stiff this week that it kept her from doing much of anything else but recline and nap whenever she had the chance. She struggled getting up and down and walking – it’s painful to watch at times, but she’s meeting the challenge head-on. Admittedly, she’s a little concerned that she isn’t seeing more progress at this point in her rehabilitation… With the help of fasting while at work, I managed to drop twelve pounds this week while hitting my weekly workout goal of fifteen miles. The rain continues to be problematic in our neck of the woods. In talking with our friend Shawn, he said that at this time last year the Indiana farmers had planted about 92% of their crops (still had about 600,000 acres yet to plant). This year, however, they are only at 22% (still have over 4.5 million acres left to plant). That being said, we did see more farm machinery on the road this week than we have all year so hopefully they can start making some headway. It again rained more days than it didn’t this week as our soggy spring continues. I know in a month from now, we’ll be begging for relief from the heat and humidity; but right now, we could use a few dry days in a row – at least until baseball season ends. Hello again and welcome back to the Scheu Family Blog.

Luke & I were up early for football practice on Monday morning. Abby & Megan slept in, enjoying the day off from work. After football, he was supposed to go to basketball practice, but said he was unaware of it until after it had ended. He also missed football practice that night due to baseball. Ann & I went into work a little early for Ann’s meeting at the hospital. When I got in to work, I immediately began work on our planned electrical outage. We took the power down to the building in order to work on our generator and transfer switch. We have been working on this issue for about a year now. We finally think we have it figured out, but now we’ll have to get Cummins involved again. Ann had several meetings that day while I walked about three miles on a lovely afternoon. We left Columbus a shade early to come home, pick up Bu and pack Barney so we could head down to Brookville again for Luke’s next baseball game. Lucas enjoyed the pretty day, hanging out with Drayden and other buddies in the area and managed to stay out of trouble. He said he slept until after noon. Due to our work schedules, we couldn’t get home soon enough to get Luke to the game in time for warm-ups, so Luke caught a ride with Coach Mitch and Addison. The girls and I got to the game just as it was starting. Luke and the Cubs faced the Franklin County Zimmer team which was huge – we estimated they had about 20 kids on that team! Luke started at first base and recorded five assisted putouts along with two that he took himself. He batted fourth and went 0-1 with a K and a pair of walks. He stole five bases – including home – scoring two runs. The pitching let the Cubs down in the second, where they gave up nine runs and ended up coming up just short, 10-12. We stopped for dinner at El Rep in Brookville on our way back and got home late. We were ready to be home that evening that we didn’t stay up too long – we got cleaned-up, put our stuff put away and we all went on to bed, wiped-out from our long day. Here are scans from Abby’s senior yearbook, which we recently received.

lp19.06.02 ayb19.01 ayb19.02 ayb19.03 ayb19.04 ayb19.05 ayb19.06 ayb19.07 ayb19.08 ayb19.09 ayb19.10 ayb19.11 ayb19.12 ayb19.13 ayb19.14 ayb19.15 ayb19.16 ayb19.17 ayb19.18 ayb19.19 ayb19.20 ayb19.21 ayb19.22 ayb19.23 ayb19.24 ayb19.25 ayb19.26 ayb19.27 ayb19.28 ayb19.29 ayb19.30 ayb19.31 ayb19.32 ayb19.33 ayb19.34 ayb19.35 ayb19.36 ayb19.37 ayb19.38 ayb19.39 ayb19.40 ayb19.41 ayb19.42 ayb19.43 ayb19.44 ayb19.45 ayb19.46

On Tuesday, Luke & Bu slept in while Ann & I headed into work. Ann had a long day while mine, thankfully, went by quickly. I walked three miles after work on a beautiful afternoon. Luke slept in then went to football practice. Abby worked at Wings & Rings that day. Ann & I came home, turned on the air and watched some DVR’d shows, relaxing and being thankful that we had the night off. I received my next two hot sauces from Matt & Taylor (thanks again guys!!). I can’t wait to try them – I have quite the collection going right now…woo-hoo! ????

Luke stayed at Dray’s house overnight and ended up sleeping through his basketball practice on Wednesday morning. We told him he will not be allowed to stay the night anywhere when he has practice the next morning for the rest of the summer. I did make him text his coach to let him know what had happened. Ann had a fast day while mine was a bit hectic with a couple contractors in-house doing projects for us. We left early to take her to physical therapy as I walked three miles at the cemetery. We stopped by Best Buy where I had my new (fourth now) screen protector installed. We came home and Luke & I ran out to BWR, where Abby was working, for dinner. She had requested we come out there because it was so dead and she wasn’t making any money. We sat in her section where we enjoyed excellent 1:1 customer service! After a brew and a some wings (with lots of celery & bleu cheese), Luke drove us home and had his buddies over till late. Abs ended up being sent home early and was thankful was had come as we were her only customers the entire night. Ann went to Batesville with her scrapping friends to eat at Cricket Ridge. It stormed throughout the state but most of it missed us, thankfully. We still got a ton of rain, but none of the rough stuff. I finished up watching season two of Jessica Jones on Netflix and now eagerly await the release of the third season next week! Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis19.06.36 sis19.06.37 sis19.06.38 sis19.06.39 sis19.06.40 sis19.06.41 sis19.06.42 sis19.06.43 sis19.06.44 sis19.06.45 sis19.06.46 sis19.06.47 sis19.06.48 sis19.06.49 sis19.06.50 sis19.06.51 sis19.06.52 sis19.06.53 sis19.06.54 sis19.06.55 sis19.06.56 sis19.06.57 sis19.06.58 sis19.06.59 sis19.06.60 sis19.06.61 sis19.06.62 sis19.06.63 sis19.06.64 sis19.06.65 sis19.06.66 sis19.06.67 sis19.06.68 sis19.06.69 sis19.06.70 sis19.06.71 sis19.06.72 sis19.06.73 sis19.06.74 sis19.06.75 sis19.06.76 sis19.06.77

We had a foggy start to our Thursday. Luke slept through his alarm and I set my alarm for Monday…which is great for next week, but didn’t help that morning. When I finally woke up, it was already time for him to be there and Luke had missed football practice. The way he explained it, though, was that the kids have the option of going to the 6 AM or the 430 PM practice but not both. Since he already has a ride to the later practice, he will just start going to the later ones and skip the early sessions. It was another hot, hazy day for the kids. In the late afternoon, Abby went to work at Buffalo Wings & Rings while Luke went to football practice for several hours. Ann & I had good days at work. I ended up skipping my workout to come get one of Ann’s old DVD recorders working after it got unplugged for cleaning. After I got it running correctly and showed the staff how to hook it back up properly, I ran to Best Buy to try and get Abby’s AirPods replaced but they weren’t able to help and recommended we take them up to their store in Greenwood. We left Columbus a little early and came home where I walked a couple miles around the neighborhood in the 90-degree heat and humidity while Ann got in a good nap in her recliner.

Friday was another hot, beautiful day. Luke and enjoyed an easy day, sleeping in and running around with his buddies. Abby worked first shift at BWR. It was a fast day at work for Ann & I. We ended up leaving a little early, after her meeting finished up at the hospital. We stopped at Five Guys for a late lunch before leaving town. It was outstanding as always. We both agree that they are nearly as good as Redamak’s, up in New Buffalo. The kids were just getting back from Wal-Mart when we arrived home. Ann took a nap while I walked two miles in the neighborhood. That evening, Luke and the Cubs had a baseball game, facing the Greensburg Reds on diamond 1. This was a make-up game that was rained-out last week. Bu joined Ann & I out behind the right field fence in the second inning. Luke was the starting pitcher that evening (his first of the year!), going two hitless innings. He did give up three runs with none of them earned. He had one strikeout to go with seven walks, earning his first win of the season. It could’ve been worse, but he made two fantastic putouts at the plate. In both cases, he had thrown a wild pitch (go figure!). But Nate hustled to the backstop and made a perfect throw to Luke, who tagged the runners out at the plate. He also played leftfield in the third inning, after Coach Mitch drew names from a hat to decide where everyone was playing! He didn’t get much action out there, but on the one ball that was hit his way – he very nearly threw a guy out at home, with the runner barely sliding in under the tag. Offensively; he batted clean-up, going 3-3 with a sacrifice. He had a pair of doubles and a triple that hit that two-hopped the fence near us! He had six RBIs, stole four bases and scored three runs. After being up 16-3 when Luke left the game, the Cubs held on to win 19-12, raising their record to 5-2 on the year. Angie stopped by at one point, thinking that Bryan & Drew were there playing us. However her boys were at South Decatur, so she couldn’t stay. We do hope to play the Red Sox, but it will have to be in the post season. We celebrated Luke’s huge game afterward by going out to ElRep for dinner. Luke was hoping to go to Dray’s house but we got home too late so the kids wound up heading on to bed early. Ann & I finished up watching the rest of season 5 of Bosch on Amazon Prime and are now hoping there is a sixth season soon. Ann went to bed, allowing me to watch a couple hours of Ancient Aliens before calling it a night myself. Here are the latest additions to my Hot Wheels collection.

hwc19.06.18 hwc19.06.19 hwc19.06.20 hwc19.06.21 hwc19.06.22 hwc19.06.23 hwc19.06.24 hwc19.06.25 hwc19.06.26 hwc19.06.27 hwc19.06.28 hwc19.06.29 hwc19.06.30 hwc19.06.31 hwc19.06.32 hwc19.06.33 hwc19.06.34 hwc19.06.35 hwc19.06.36 hwc19.06.37 hwc19.06.38 hwc19.06.39 hwc19.06.40 hwc19.06.41 hwc19.06.42 hwc19.06.43 hwc19.06.44 hwc19.06.45

We enjoyed a slow Saturday morning, taking our time doing a few things around the house and checking all the fluids in the vehicles in the used car lot that has become our driveway. Once Luke got up, we mowed and trimmed in the yard on a cooler, overcast day that was perfect for working outside. Later, we loaded up Betty White and Luke drove us around town. First, we stopped in at Mom & Sandy’s where we mowed and trimmed. While Luke finished up in the yard, I visited with Gma. She picked some onions and radishes from their garden for me. We moved inside and as Maryann cleaned the veggies, Sandy returned from a remote WTRE broadcast event at the Westport Covered Bridge Festival. She came baring a large veggie pizza from Pizzalicious that was really good. After we visited for a while, Luke drove us to Taco Bell for lunch then downtown where we did some Hot Wheels hunting at Square Deals as well as a new shop called Storage Locker Finds. We came home and Luke went to bed while I showered and began the weekly household chores that we normally do on Sunday. Garrett was at the house when we got back. He had come down to spend the weekend with Abs again. We got home just in time before it started raining. Abby wasn’t able to find a replacement, so she had to go into work at BWR that evening. We had a lazy afternoon as everyone napped on and off. Ann & I watched a SVU marathon – what is it with that program? Once we start watching it, we can’t turn it off! That evening, we took the boys out to Wings & Rings see Bu and eat some wings. We ran to Walmart afterwards before heading home and wrapped up our chores as we continued watching the SVU marathon until the wee hours of the morning. We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp19.06.40 smp19.06.41 smp19.06.42 smp19.06.43 smp19.06.44 smp19.06.45 smp19.06.46 smp19.06.47 smp19.06.48 smp19.06.49 smp19.06.50 smp19.06.51 smp19.06.52 smp19.06.53 smp19.06.54 smp19.06.55 smp19.06.56 smp19.06.57 smp19.06.58 smp19.06.59 smp19.06.60 smp19.06.61 smp19.06.62 smp19.06.63 smp19.06.64 smp19.06.65 smp19.06.67 smp19.06.68 smp19.06.69 smp19.06.70 smp19.06.71 smp19.06.72 smp19.06.73 smp19.06.74 smp19.06.75 smp19.06.76 smp19.06.77 smp19.06.78 smp19.06.79 smp19.06.80 smp19.06.81 smp19.06.82 smp19.06.83 smp19.06.84 smp19.06.85 smp19.06.86 smp19.06.87 smp19.06.88 smp19.06.89 smp19.06.90 smp19.06.91 smp19.06.92 smp19.06.93 smp19.06.94 smp19.06.95 smp19.06.96 smp19.06.97 smp19.06.98 smp19.06.99

We enjoyed sleeping in on Sunday morning. It rained overnight and was still coming down when we got out of bed. We slowly got cleaned-up and dressed to head up to Megan’s graduation party. It’s hard to believe that she’s old enough to graduate high school. In fact, I’ve been feeling older this season as all these kids that I still think of as being little are going through commencements and these grad parties are just a stark reminder of those achievements. It is both exciting and a little sad all at the same time. Garrett headed back up to New Castle for his sister’s birthday party as we headed to Bargersville in Tonya. We decided to leave Black Betty home when I discovered how worn her rear tires were yesterday while doing my preventive maintenance. After she gets out of Jerry’s shop next week, I’ll need to get a new pair of shoes on her. The party was held up at The Sycamore at Mallow Run winery. It was really pretty out there. We accidentally drove into the wrong area where they were having their Strawberry Festival, which had drawn a large crowd. We could hear the live music from next door when we were outside. It was good to see Julie and John, along with Chrystie & Terry and Mallory & Heather. We enjoyed a few glasses of wine and visited for a couple hours. I enjoyed the rhubarb wine as well as the picnic red. The time flew by and before we knew it, the party was over and Luke was driving us to Greenwood. We took Abby’s AirPods to Best Buy, where they kept them and will send them into Apple for replacement. Next, we decided to go eat. No one could make up their mind, so I had Luke just drive over to Shallo’s. We tried to get Matt to join us, but he was up at Taylor’s. We had their chips and dip and I had a Strawberry Blonde with my early dinner – two must-haves in my book when visiting that establishment. Afterwards, Luke drove us home in the rain. It poured pretty hard in spots, but he did great. It continued raining after we got home and rained the rest of the evening. Luke walked over to his buddy’s house in the rain. Abby went to her room and watched her shows while I watched races and Ancient Alien / UFO shows until the new Fear the Walking Dead, NOS4A2 & Talking Dead shows aired and then we called it a week…

Next up is our Waybac segment which continues to feature photos from our #17 album, containing all the pix from our Walt Disney World vacation in June 2004. We lead off this week again in Fantasyland, inside the Magic Kingdom at Cinderella’s castle for more pictures from the Cinderella’s Royal Table character meal. Next, we head to Animal Kingdom to see the Tree of Life and the show entitled, “Pocahontas and her Forest Friends.??? We were able to be seated early so the kids could sit up on the front row for the show. Then we head to MGM Studios for the amazing nighttime spectacular show called, “Fantasmic!??? And finally, we head back to Animal Kingdom where we caught up with Amy, Rob & Baili and watched the Mickey’s Jammin’ Jungle parade.

Waybac.2004.06.wdw532 Waybac.2004.06.wdw533 Waybac.2004.06.wdw534 Waybac.2004.06.wdw535 Waybac.2004.06.wdw536 Waybac.2004.06.wdw537 Waybac.2004.06.wdw538 Waybac.2004.06.wdw539 Waybac.2004.06.wdw540 Waybac.2004.06.wdw541 Waybac.2004.06.wdw542 Waybac.2004.06.wdw543 Waybac.2004.06.wdw544 Waybac.2004.06.wdw545 Waybac.2004.06.wdw546 Waybac.2004.06.wdw547

And finally, we rap up with our video segment which features only one short home movie and several from around the internet.

And that does it for this episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Momma…
Later, Scheu

Comments are closed.