Well, I’m Tore Down…I’m Almost Level with The Ground

It’s been a really long week. I haven’t been this worn out in a while – and it’s not that it’s been physical, but rather mentally exhausting. I spent my week feverishly prepping our computer systems to rejoin the corporate network while still trying to help find solutions to keep our business working without the use of the vast majority of our PCs. We attended Uncle John’s funeral this week, which was just heartbreaking. I still can’t believe both he and Uncle Chuck are gone. I’m sort of numb about it, so I don’t think the idea has quite set in that I won’t ever see either of them again. Matt continued spending his days teaching in Zionsville and his evenings cooking in Carmel. That is coming to a quick end, though, as wrestling season starts very soon – maybe next week? We enjoyed spending a little time with him this weekend. Abby had online classes as Franklin decided to do virtual learning as there was a spike in COVID cases on campus. We enjoyed seeing her as for a while this weekend as well. Luke enjoyed the week off for Fall Break, doing as little as possible – though he did land a new job! Granted, he hasn’t actually worked yet, but he got it… We were thrilled to be able to go watch him play football this week, but even that got pretty ugly. I didn’t have much time for exercise this week, again missing my walking goal with only 6 miles. I did get in a few rounds of frisbee golf this week and actually scored a new PB from the back tees on the Greensburg course. The weather rebounded as we had our Indian Summer this week with temps reaching into the 80s again. I was actually in short sleeves and shorts at the game on Friday night. It was a real crapper of a week, but we made the best of it. I sure hope this next week is a better one… Hello again and welcome back to the Scheu Family Blog.

It was back to work for Ann & I on Monday morning while Luke slept in, enjoying the start to his Fall Break week. It was a cold, foggy commute to Columbus with temps in the 30s and a few frost warnings in the area. There was still remnants of the toilet papering we received late last night. I heard something outside and when I checked the Ring camera, I could see the kids out there in the front yard. I went out and confronted them and they took off running. I called for Lucas, who threw on some pants, hopped in his car and took off after them. He found them and of course, they were a bunch of his friends from school. He brought them back and they cleaned most of it up, but they did a hell of a job and some of it is going to be there for quite a while… Luke had football practice that afternoon then worked in the concession stand at the JV football game that evening with the wrestling team as part of a fundraiser for the program. Luke was hoping to hear something from Hibbett’s but still doesn’t know if he got the job yet or not. I continued working on IT systems all day, making decent progress. I had to go back and install a couple more things on all the computers, so that kept me busy all day. My overall completion is right about 50%, but that should change dramatically if everything goes well tomorrow. I was just too busy to leave early and walk that afternoon. In fact, I stayed a little longer than I actually wanted. The varsity volleyball team had a game that night. Both Bryan and Bob have daughters on the team (Hannah and Josie, respectively), so we wanted to support those guys and see the #2 ranked team in the state. Well…they were ranked #2 but fell in the poll because they didn’t play while they were quarantined last month after a player tested positive. The girls looked very good and easily beat Batesville. Franklin did move to a virtual learning environment for this week due to a small COVID outbreak on the football team. Abby decided to stay on campus and do classes from her dorm room (and Gary’s, of course – LOL). It’s always a good day when they beat their rival (Batesville) in three straight sets! We came home and Ann made hot ham & cheeses with the sourdough bread she bought at Wildflour…they were yummy! We put on the MNF doubleheader and Ann read while I napped. I went on to bed early – like Mom & Dad early (dammit!). I missed Luke coming home from Pizza King with Brayden, Oakley and Ethen. They visited with Ann and she loved it. While Brayden would end up going home late that night, Oak & Ethan both spent the night. Here are pictures from Luke’s football game last week at Batesville.

lp20.10.02 lfbb20.01 lfbb20.02 lfbb20.03 lfbb20.04 lfbb20.05 lfbb20.06 lfbb20.07 lfbb20.08 lfbb20.09 lfbb20.10 lfbb20.11 lfbb20.12 lfbb20.13 lfbb20.14 lfbb20.15 lfbb20.16 lfbb20.17 lfbb20.18 lfbb20.19 lfbb20.20 lfbb20.21 lfbb20.22 lfbb20.23 lfbb20.24 lfbb20.25 lfbb20.26 lfbb20.27 lfbb20.28 lfbb20.29 lfbb20.30 lfbb20.31 lfbb20.32 lfbb20.33 lfbb20.34 lfbb20.35 lfbb20.36 lfbb20.37 lfbb20.38 lfbb20.39 lfbb20.40 lfbb20.41 lfbb20.42 lfbb20.43 lfbb20.44 lfbb20.45 lfbb20.46 lfbb20.47 lfbb20.48 lfbb20.49 lfbb20.50 lfbb20.51 lfbb20.52 lfbb20.53 lfbb20.54 lfbb20.55

Tuesday had another cool start in the 30s. I let Black Betty warm up a little before we left for work. Luke got up and had a doctor appointment via Zoom that morning then went back to sleep. Later, he made a video call with me just to say he was out cruising in Betty White with his buddy Alex. I can remember those to little kids riding in the back of the truck as we came home from youth football practices – LOL. 😊 Lukey enjoyed hanging out with his buddies on the second day of Fall Break. Ann had a crazy, busy day that flew by, Equally, I had another busy day of reimaging and prepping computers to go back on our network when they get it back working again. I got out of work pretty late and did not have a chance to walk that night. When we came home, we saw Luke briefly when he came home from football practice and then went back out to the school to watch the girls’ soccer game. It was their Sectional game and they won, 7-2! After resting my elbow for about two weeks, I decided it was time to go play some twilight frisbee golf. I started off a little rusty and had a bogey on 1 and 3, but there was a strong breeze that I was able to adapt to and use to my advantage. I parred 5, which is tough to do and followed it up with birdies on 7 and 9 to salvage a one-under 26. I was encouraged with the way I was throwing and my elbow felt better than it has in months, so I decided to play a second round. I’m glad I did because I wound up with four birdies and it could’ve been better! As it was, I threw a new personal best four-under 23! No hole-in-ones, but I almost hit one on 4 – with the disc bouncing off front of the goal! I birdied 2 for the first time and also had birds on 4, 7 and 9. I came close to birdieing three other holes, so I’m hopeful I can get back out there this week and see if I can improve even more! When I came home, Delilah was barking up a storm. Come to find out, she had gotten her chain tangled and was stuck, unable to move more than about six inches – which was really pissing her off. Molly begged me not to free her, but she was so pitiful that I couldn’t leave her. It turned out to be a gorgeous day in the 70s and I was able to open up the house again. I hear we’re supposed to get some warmer weather as the week progresses. We took it easy that evening. Ann read (she’s reading the Outlander series of books now). I watched the Indy car races on the DVR from this past weekend. They raced at IMS with no fans on the road course, which I absolutely love. They ran a pair of 75-lap races on back-to-back days this past weekend. I watched the first half of the Talladega cup race from last Sunday before we flipped over and watched the next episode of LA’s Finest with Jessica Alba and then when Ann fell asleep, I watched the rest of the NASCAR race before heading on to bed – wow; what an ending! Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis20.10.76 sis20.10.77 sis20.10.78 sis20.10.79 sis20.10.80 sis20.10.81 sis20.10.82 sis20.10.83 sis20.10.84 sis20.10.85 sis20.10.86 sis20.10.87 sis20.10.88 sis20.10.89 sis20.10.90 sis20.10.91 sis20.10.92 sis20.10.93 sis20.10.94 sis20.10.95 sis20.10.96 sis20.10.97 sis20.10.98 sis20.10.99 sis20.10.100 sis20.10.101 sis20.10.102 sis20.10.103 sis20.10.104 sis20.10.105

We returned to work on a much warmer day on Humpday. It was more of the same for me, as I continued to remediate our computer systems. It was a long day but one that was also very busy and as such absolutely flew by. Justin and Vic got me lunch as I didn’t have time to stop and Justin even pitched in and helped out, later in the evening (thanks bud!). I got out of work late again but still managed to walk about a mile and a half for the first time in about a week on a hot afternoon. I thought we were done with this summer-like weather. When we got home that evening, Ann went out to dinner with her friends. I thought about going to the park for a round of disc but I was worn-out from the week and just wanted to finish editing pictures for this week’s blog. Luke came home from football practice and was so excited that he got the job at Hibbett’s! The vice-presidential debate was much more civil than the last week’s presidential one. I got caught up on my DVR’d shows while Ann was out and just chilled all night.

We slept in a little on Thursday morning, as we had the day off to attend Uncle John’s funeral. Abby was exposed to the COVID, so she got tested…but the test results weren’t back yet and she made the tough choice to stay home. I know it broke her heart, but she made the right decision because she didn’t want to get the entire family sick. Matt & Taylor drove separately and met us up in Lafayette at the Country Club, which sits right behind John & June’s house. We took Luke’s Hot Rod Lincoln so he could drive us home afterward. We got up there a little early, so we tooled around town, visiting my old stomping grounds. They looked a little rougher than I remembered – especially over on Shortridge. We ran past John & June’s old home right by there on LaRue St. That’s where they were living when we moved to California. There were a lot more people there than I expected – all family or very, very close personal friends. I’d say there were a couple hundred. As far as Scheu’s go, we had almost everyone; Sue, Vicky, Daniel & Kels, Billy & Blancha, Jackie & Jace; Cindy, Kathy & Tom; Dad & Barb, Ann & I, Matt & Taylor and Luke; June, Barney, Steph, Haley, Ryan, Parker & Lila, Nick & Connor, Ryan & Emmett, Kimmy, Chuck, Braden & Gavin, Lindsay & Jack (I think their two kiddos, Walter & Bruce, were somewhere else though because I didn’t see them); Sally, Scottie, Chris, Trish, Jack & Joey, Jason and Mary. We stayed later afterward and got caught up with everyone and enjoyed a few cocktails. They wanted us to come back to John & June’s house but we had to head back – it was already after 7 by that time. Luke did a good job driving home. We stopped at a gas station on the way home – I don’t even remember where – and he was comparing sound systems with some of the locals who pulled up, jamming-out. We made it home and pretty much went on to bed, worn-out from the long day. I still can’t believe Uncle John is gone. I think the last time I saw him was at one of the Christmas parties… He always made the best Bloody Mar ys… Here are pictures of the recent additions to my Hot Wheels collection.

hwc20.10.01 hwc20.10.02 hwc20.10.03 hwc20.10.04 hwc20.10.05 hwc20.10.06 hwc20.10.07 hwc20.10.08 hwc20.10.09 hwc20.10.10 hwc20.10.11 hwc20.10.12

Originally, I was supposed to work from home on Friday to get caught up on my reports and purchasing responsibilities that have been put on hold the past couple weeks. But things are very fluid right now at work, as we continue to rebuild our computer network and infrastructure that was destroyed in the cyberattack. I dropped Ann off uptown, had a good dentist appointment and then headed into work with the idea that I would work with corporate early that morning to bring up our network, go to lunch with Dennis and leave by noon. As it turned out, I ran around like a chicken with my head cut-off, never did hear from anyone at the corporate office and worked a whole day. By the time I got home I was pretty tired, but it was time to get dressed and prep for Luke’s final regular season home football game of his junior year. When Abby got home, we headed on over and met up with Matt & Taylor as well as Mom, Sandy & Pixie. We sat with the Wests and an old friend of Keith’s that had moved back to town. The Pirates faced the Trojans of East Central. It is always a bloodbath because it gets chippy once they start running the score up. It is one of the reasons we are dropping them from our future schedules. This year was no different. After the first quarter, we were already down by a couple touchdowns. We fought back a little and actually scored a TD but it would be the only one and we would lose, 7-50. Luke had a memorable moment when one of the Trajan’s extra point attempts went awry and the kicker tried to throw the ball and he lambasted her – yes, that’s right…the kicker was a girl. He didn’t care but the visiting team and crowd weren’t happy. He was flagged for a helmet-to-helmet hit even though it was facemask to the chest. …But whatever; it didn’t even matter at that point in the game. But what really ground my gears that night was that EC had a chance to just run the clock out. The mercy rule was already in effect which meant the clock was running constantly. Instead, they called two time-outs and refused to take a knee – mind you, they were up by 36 points at the time with less than two minutes to play. So, they ended up scoring yet another TD with like 10 seconds to play. How classy is that? And that – right here – is why we are dropping these douchebags from our schedule. Luke’s game stats: Defensively from his middle linebacker position, he recorded a whopping 16 tackles – 10 solos and 6 assists – 2 QB hurries and a forced fumble. Offensively, he started at left guard again and recorded 3 de-cleaters. We talked with Luke afterward (he was really sweaty and smelly). He hates to lose, but he was trying to be positive. He went out with Brayden while the rest of us went to Wings & Rings for drinks and dinner. We came home and enjoyed a little porch time with cigars and Amaretto Sours before calling it a night. We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp20.10.39 smp20.10.31 smp20.10.32 smp20.10.33 smp20.10.34 smp20.10.35 smp20.10.36 smp20.10.37 smp20.10.38 smp20.10.40 smp20.10.41 smp20.10.42 smp20.10.43 smp20.10.44 smp20.10.45 smp20.10.46 smp20.10.47 smp20.10.48 smp20.10.49 smp20.10.50 smp20.10.51 smp20.10.52 smp20.10.53 smp20.10.54 smp20.10.55 smp20.10.56 smp20.10.57 smp20.10.58 smp20.10.59 smp20.10.60 smp20.10.61 smp20.10.62 smp20.10.63 smp20.10.64 smp20.10.65 smp20.10.66 smp20.10.67 smp20.10.68 smp20.10.69 smp20.10.70 smp20.10.71 smp20.10.72 smp20.10.73 smp20.10.74 smp20.10.75 smp20.10.76

I was up early and out the door before the dawn on Saturday morning. I met a contracted vendor at work so he could install a new networking piece to our infrastructure. Unfortunately, it doesn’t play nice with our older equipment. We tried like hell to create a work around. It just wouldn’t go so we are now getting another new piece of hardware sometime on Monday or Tuesday. We were supposed to be put back into the system that afternoon, but now we’ve had to reschedule for some time next week or later. By the time I got home, Matt & Taylor were long gone, headed back up to Carmel. Ann & Abby passed me on Park Rd as they went to Kuyhlia’s house to pickup clothes to take with her back to school. I grabbed something to eat and then ran out to the park to play 18 holes of frisbee golf, throwing a pair of 1-under-par 26es. It was hotter than I thought it would be with temps in the mid-seventies but the humidity returned. When I got back, Ann was making supper called Forgotten Chicken. She had closed up the house due to the humidity. Abby rode with Luke and Delilah up to Franklin where they enjoyed the day on and off campus. Delilah enjoyed her big day out and didn’t get into any trouble! She’s so weird though, she didn’t use the bathroom the entire time she was gone. She has always been like that; but boy, when she got home, she went straight to the backyard and did her business. Abby stuck around for a bit before heading back up to campus. Luke went to a sleepover with his buddies. That left Ann & I with a quiet evening alone with the dogs. We put on a show to watch and I promptly fell asleep on the couch and just went on to bed. Ann may be right – I’m becoming my mother…

Having gone to bed early last night, I was up early on Sunday morning. The dogs and I enjoyed some porch time before the sun came up. I edited videos and did stats for Luke’s EC game. I watched last night’s SNL, which was pretty good then the Xfinity race at the Charlotte Roval where it rained. I like road courses and I love it in the rain! It was great – wrecks everywhere! Unfortunately, just like last week, NBC cut off the end of the race and I had to find out who won via the internet. I wish they would stop airing the races on the regular network station with the expectation that they will switch channels to air the local news. Instead, I wonder why they don’t air it on their sports network to start with so they don’t have to cut it. When they do that, my DVR doesn’t know to switch the channel. I missed the last 90 minutes of this race and all three OTs last week. I finally got around to watching my favorite animated shows, including the debuts of: South Park (season 24), The Simpsons (season 32) and Family Guy (season 19). We slowly got around to our weekly household chores. That afternoon, Ann made Fireworks popcorn for lunch and while she napped, I watched some football and the cup race from the Roval. I was horrified to see Cowboys’ QB Dak Prescott go down with a season-ending injury. They took him to the local hospital for emergency ankle surgery. Maybe the team can rally around that injury and turn their season around. Luke came home from his sleepover and promptly went to his room and slept for most of the day. He eventually got up and went out running around on his final day of Fall Break. The dogs caught a kitten out in the backyard after dark. Molly tried to play with it, but it wasn’t too happy with that choice. It was fine and we were able to get the dogs inside and I got it out of the yard. When Luke came back, we watched the Cowboys win in dramatic fashion then the season 6 debut of Fear the Walking Dead, followed by the new TWD series called World Beyond. I got a call from the UHS corporate IT folks, who want me in to work early tomorrow to work on my network. Hopefully we can get it going and we can return to some sense of normalcy. 2020…the year of the turd…

Next up is our Waybac section. It features another batch of Uncle Goon pix (I think next week will be the last of them), a batch of Uncle John pix that Barney, Kimmy & Lindsay posted this week and then we have another round of Dee pix from 2003. We lead off in the 1940s – Chuck at St. Marys and then with the fam…2 on 9th St and a great one on Highland of the boys & Granny; 1950s – 3 Uncle Chuck pix with a great one of most of the fam on Highland; 1960s – a couple sports pix then a bunch of great John & June pix; the 1970s – a fun Disney one and then a few of me with Barney then Kimmy, which I think were taken at their home in Anderson; 1980s – great on of the Scheu boys as well as a couple Uncle John pix with his kids; 1990s – Uncle Chuck with Cindy and then over a dozen great ones of Uncle John; 2000s – Chuck & Cindy and then a trio of UJ pix – that one of him golfing is outstanding!; then 2003 pix: the girls at Mom & Sandy’s house while Luke was being born in June; a slew of 4th of July pix, Gigi’s bday in July, and Christmas Eve at house in December, of course, and then we wrap up in the 2010s – Chuck & Cindy and then a bunch of great Uncle John pictures from the last few years…

Waybac.1940s.ucp143 Waybac.1940s.ucp145 Waybac.1940s.ucp149 Waybac.1940s.ucp152 Waybac.1950s.ucp141 Waybac.1950s.ucp147 Waybac.1960s.ucp144 Waybac.1960s.ujp13 Waybac.1960s.ujp22 Waybac.1960s.ujp23 Waybac.1960s.ujp27 Waybac.1960s.ujp30 Waybac.1968.ucp148 Waybac.1970s.ujp09 Waybac.1971.tabia1 Waybac.1974.takia1 Waybac.1974.takia2 Waybac.1980s.ucp142 Waybac.1980s.ujp26 Waybac.1980s.ujp32 Waybac.1990s.ucp150 Waybac.1990s.ujp01 Waybac.1990s.ujp02 Waybac.1990s.ujp04 Waybac.1990s.ujp05 Waybac.1990s.ujp14 Waybac.1990s.ujp15 Waybac.1990s.ujp16 Waybac.1990s.ujp17 Waybac.1990s.ujp18 Waybac.1990s.ujp19 Waybac.1990s.ujp20 Waybac.1990s.ujp21 Waybac.1990s.ujp28 Waybac.1990s.ujp31 Waybac.2000s.ucp146 Waybac.2000s.ujp10 Waybac.2000s.ujp24 Waybac.2000s.ujp33 Waybac.2003.06.lbd39 Waybac.2003.07.foj153 Waybac.2003.07.foj154 Waybac.2003.07.foj155 Waybac.2003.07.foj156 Waybac.2003.07.foj157 Waybac.2003.07.gbd34 Waybac.2003.07.gbd35 Waybac.2003.07.gbd36 Waybac.2003.07.gbd37 Waybac.2003.07.gbd38 Waybac.2003.12.oce45 Waybac.2003.12.oce46 Waybac.2003.12.oce47 Waybac.2010s.ucp151 Waybac.2010s.ujp03 Waybac.2010s.ujp06 Waybac.2010s.ujp07 Waybac.2010s.ujp08 Waybac.2010s.ujp11 Waybac.2010s.ujp12 Waybac.2010s.ujp25 Waybac.2010s.ujp29 lp20.10.02

Next up is our video segment which features one new home movie this week as well as several from around the internet.

And that does it for this week’s edition of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one and stay safe out there. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply