I was Burned in the Heat of the Moment…

First things first, my God! …it’s been incredibly hot here in south-central Indiana. As I type today’s blog entry, we have officially set a new record for this area – going 21 straight days with 90+ degree weather. As you might imagine, not much in the way of green is growing outside and most of it is brown by this point. To top it off, the heat index has been near 120 most of this time span with the humidity being nearly unbearable outside. Now, secondly, for Matt’s benefit (and let’s see if I can get this right…). Last week I failed to mention one of the biggest on-going inside jokes during our vacations. While we were gone, Abby earned a few nicknames that Matt was only happy to mention a hundred or so times while we were in Florida or traveling…and I quote, “Abigail Food-Showing, Gum-Stretching, Booger-Eating Snot-Licking, Special-Chocolate-Butt, Double-Bubble-Knee, Loser-Jerky-Fish, Queen-of-Seaweed Goose.” And yes, each one of those loving adjectives has a story behind it that I just don’t want to get it to at this time. If interested in learning more, please see Matt on Facebook… And now on to new stuff…On the Monday that we returned from vacation (this will be another 2-week entry), Matt returned to the morning and afternoon football practices. As you might imagine, he nearly wilted in the heat. In fact, Ann said that 3 high school boys from around the country had died during this week due to the high temps. Abby had her first fast pitch tourney game that night. They faced the number one team in the league – a team that had lost only one game this year. So, we were expecting to get blown out. However, someone forgot to tell the girls that! They came out and played great defense, got good pitching and the ace pitcher on the other team really struggled, walking a few dozen of our girls. As it turns out, they had played a game earlier out in this heat and so when they came back out to play the second game, they were just pooped. The girls won, knocking off the #1 seed! It was their first victory of the year. After going 0-10 during the regular season, Abby finally got her first fast pitch victory ever that night! She went 0-1 with a strikeout and played in right center where the most action she got was an overthrown ball once. The heat was intense and everyone, from the players to the spectators was glad to get home afterwards… We also had some extra photos left over from the month, including a picture of my boss, Kelly’s new son with her (now) oldest son. Also, we have a picture of my cousin Barney and his family, including his daughter Haley who recently gave birth to a baby boy herself. Also included are his sisters and John & June’s new Florida house…as well as an old one I found of Luke playing against his friend Brendan (Ann’s friend, Cecelia’s boy).

lbtc11.131 astc11.0 astc11.1 astc11.2 astc11.3 astc11.4 astc11.5 astc11.6 astc11.7 astc11.8 astc11.9 astc11.10 astc11.11 astc11.12 astc11.13 astc11.14 astc11.15 scp11.1 scp11.2 scp11.3 scp11.4 scp11.5 scp11.6 knb11.1 lbtvrlp afbp11.07a afbp11.07b

Tuesday was Gigi’s 54th birthday. She actually took the whole week off to celebrate, it seemed. 😉 Matt again struggled to get back in to form at football practice – remember, he was off for two weeks due to his knee injury and then had a week off for us to go on vacation, so this has been a good challenge for him to get back in to playing shape. Ann registered the kids for school. Luke came home with several bumps and bruises from Brandy’s house today, after wrecking Oakley’s bike pretty good. Both knees and elbows are pretty torn up. That evening, we received official notification that summer was ending…the cicadas are back in full force. They are so loud! Matt had Wednesday off and watched Bu & Luke for us, though Abby ended up over at Sandy & Maryann’s house eventually. Abby learned how to sew from Grandma today. Abby actually enjoyed these two weeks more than I think she did vacation. She has gone to Mom & Gigi’s house everyday and has enjoyed spending time with Mom O, especially, learning about sewing, cooking, cleaning, etc. We enjoyed a rare night off that evening and focused on staying cool as the heat index again was up in the 115-120 degree range all day and well in to the night. This humidity has got to give. Even Nathan took the night off from working on our house due to how stinkin’ hot it was today. Matt watched his siblings again on Thursday, as he only went to the evening practice. The kids ended up at Mom & Sandy’s house for about an hour while Matt practiced. It was the hottest day of the year as we hit triple digits in temperature and neared 125 in heat index. Nathan and his crew again took the day off. Matt was involved in what was termed a weightlifting championship at football practice. Luke and his baseball coach convinced me today that Luke needed to play football this year. Their annual combine was being held at Washington Park. Although I thought he should stick with soccer for this year, Derrick told me that he would like me to help him coach as well as Matthew. He further said he wanted to put Luke at quarterback. So, I reconsidered and hurried out to the park after work. Luke knew all the guys at the workout and he absolutely dominated the drills. About a half hour in to it, Derrick approached me and asked me to confirm Luke’s birthdate. When I told him that Luke had just turned 8 a couple months ago, it occurred to him that Luke would not be of the correct age to play with his friends and teammates, but rather would have to bump up to a different league. Well, that didn’t set well with him or I and we thanked everyone and decided to leave. Looks like its back to soccer for the Dukester. Ah, but what might have been… Abby played in the fast-pitch softball tournament championship that night. They played against a better team but again no one told them that and just like earlier in the week, their defense and pitching were outstanding. It was a tight game, but time ran out and just like that the gals went from worst to first! They were dead last in the league and undefeated in the tourney! It was an incredible turn around and Abby was so excited. She went 0-0 with a walk in her only at-bat. She played right and right centerfield and again had no balls come her way, save for an overthrow. But that didn’t matter to her. We were glad that she saw some success in this sport – this might just keep her interested enough to come back out again next summer. I took the kids to El Chile Poblano for a victory dinner afterward as Ann’s good friend Shawna (we played her daughter in the finale tonight) came over for drinks on the back porch…only it was too hot to sit on the back porch, so they sat in the air conditioning and had a cocktail.

astc11.16 astc11.17 astc11.18 astc11.19 astc11.20 astc11.21 astc11.22 astc11.23 astc11.24 astc11.25 astc11.26 astc11.27 astc11.28 astc11.29 astc11.30 astc11.31 astc11.32 astc11.33 astc11.34 astc11.35 astc11.36 astc11.37 astc11.38 astc11.39 astc11.40 astc11.41 astc11.42 astc11.43 astc11.44 aasdb11.1

Friday was another hot day. Matt watched the kids again until his weightlifting championship. I ended up working pretty late due to losing an air conditioning unit on a patient wing. Megan stayed the night with Abby that evening. Ann made some outstanding Fiesta Chicken for dinner that evening. I ended up falling asleep early on the couch. Ann was concerned and confused after receiving a subpoena to appear in a court case in Danville! As it turns out, it is the wrong person; but it freaked her out initially – just the same. She would end up spending the next week trying to communicate with the court system to get it straightened out, which meant she had to make several phone calls and spent way more time on this than she really needed to… On Saturday, Ann and Bu signed up for more fun this year at the Dixon Dance Studios. It looks like she will again be involved in two dances, though I don’t know the specifics of it all just yet. Luke had his final all-star baseball tourney of the year. He played two games today. In the opener, they played the Noblesville Cats. He looked really rusty (after all, it was his first action in nearly 3 weeks himself). He went 0-4 at the plate with a couple of strikeouts and two long fly outs to leftfield that the same kid made good plays on both times. He caught the only fly ball hit his way in right centerfield. His team won the game easily. We went out for lunch at Burger King and enjoyed the A/C break. In game two of the day, we played the Noblesville Black team. He went 2-4 with a single and a double (hitting the grass, of course). He made a nice defensive play, sliding to catch a ball – but it popped out. His only other action came when a ball got past him and the right fielder and rolled to the fence. To his credit though, he hustled back on the ball and got it back in, keeping the hitter at first and keeping another runner at third base. We went for ice cream afterward at Dairy Point, where we caught up with Heather (Alex’s big sister). Matt rode his bike out to the ball diamonds, only to blow a tire as he entered the parking lot. Ann took Megan home after the ball games and then the gals went to Batesville to shop for gifts for Gigi and Grace. Once they returned, we headed over to Mom & Sandy’s house for a snacky-type of dinner, cupcakes and ice cream and presents. Afterwards, Jamie & I took on Ann & Sandy in a few games of euchre. The gals were on it today, putting the hurting on us in two straight games, but it was Gigi’s special day, so it was cool.

lbtc11.1 lbtc11.2 lbtc11.3 lbtc11.4 lbtc11.5 lbtc11.6 lbtc11.7 lbtc11.8 lbtc11.9 lbtc11.10 lbtc11.11 lbtc11.12 lbtc11.13 lbtc11.14 lbtc11.15 lbtc11.16 lbtc11.17 lbtc11.18 lbtc11.19 lbtc11.20 lbtc11.21 lbtc11.22 lbtc11.23 lbtc11.24 lbtc11.25 lbtc11.26 lbtc11.27 lbtc11.28 lbtc11.29 lbtc11.30 lbtc11.31 lbtc11.32 lbtc11.33 lbtc11.34 lbtc11.35 lbtc11.36 lbtc11.37 lbtc11.38 lbtc11.39 lbtc11.40 lbtc11.41 lbtc11.42 lbtc11.43 lbtc11.44 lbtc11.45 lbtc11.46 lbtc11.47 lbtc11.48 lbtc11.49 lbtc11.50 lbtc11.51 lbtc11.52 lbtc11.53 lbtc11.54 lbtc11.55 lbtc11.56 lbtc11.57 lbtc11.58 lbtc11.59 lbtc11.60 lbtc11.61 lbtc11.62 lbtc11.63 lbtc11.64 lbtc11.65 lbtc11.66 lbtc11.67 lbtc11.68 lbtc11.69 lbtc11.70 lbtc11.71 lbtc11.72 lbtc11.73 lbtc11.74 lbtc11.75 lbtc11.76 lbtc11.77 lbtc11.78 lbtc11.79 ggbd11.1 ggbd11.2 ggbd11.3 ggbd11.4 ggbd11.5 ggbd11.6 ggbd11.7 ggbd11.8 ggbd11.9 ggbd11.10 ggbd11.11 ggbd11.12 ggbd11.13 ggbd11.14 ggbd11.15 ggbd11.16 ggbd11.17 ggbd11.18 ggbd11.19 ggbd11.20 ggbd11.21

Sunday brought about another sweaty day out at the ball diamonds, but would prove to be our final one of the season. We brought out the portable gazebo which was instrumental in keeping as cool as we could. We were joined by our neighbor and Ann’s friend Cecilia (whose son is Luke’s friend and teammate) in the shade of the gazebo. Their first game was another victory (over Greenfield) and they won big time – by 10 run rule! Luke went 1-3 with a single and a pair of strikeouts. He scored a run and caught a ball out in right centerfield. His best play, however; was the one where he ran up on a line drive that one-hopped him. Instead of dodging the ball or trying to catch it on his side, he charged it and took it off his leg – saving two runs and stopping a rally by Greenfield. That victory put them in to the championship game after lunch McDonald’s. When we returned, we again faced the Noblesville Cats. The kids pulled a big win by another 10-run rule to win the city tourney championship! Luke was 2-3 with a single and a double that one-hopped the fence! It was a blast!! He scored two runs and had at least 1 RBI. He had another couple good plays in right centerfield – stopping a line drive off his chest and chased down a ball that got past a sliding right fielder. He chased it to the fence and threw a perfect strike to second base for an out! The kids went wild when the game was called (so did the parents!). NASCAR was in Indy over the weekend. It was a really good race that Jeff almost came all the way back to win, but came up one position and about 1 second short.

lbtc11.80 lbtc11.81 lbtc11.82 lbtc11.83 lbtc11.84 lbtc11.85 lbtc11.86 lbtc11.87 lbtc11.88 lbtc11.89 lbtc11.90 lbtc11.91 lbtc11.92 lbtc11.93 lbtc11.94 lbtc11.95 lbtc11.96 lbtc11.97 lbtc11.98 lbtc11.99 lbtc11.100 lbtc11.101 lbtc11.102 lbtc11.103 lbtc11.104 lbtc11.105 lbtc11.106 lbtc11.107 lbtc11.108 lbtc11.109 lbtc11.110 lbtc11.111 lbtc11.112 lbtc11.113 lbtc11.114 lbtc11.115 lbtc11.116 lbtc11.117 lbtc11.118 lbtc11.119 lbtc11.120 lbtc11.121 lbtc11.122 lbtc11.123 lbtc11.124 lbtc11.125 lbtc11.126 lbtc11.127 lbtc11.128 lbtc11.129 lbtc11.130 lbtc11.131

This past Monday, Luke was back at Brandy’s house. Abby stayed with Gma. Matt began two-a-day, football camp. His knees were swollen and sore that first evening, but was otherwise fine despite a heat index of 115! Luke took his bike to Brandy’s house and we finally got it out at home as well afterwards as he got me back out (finally) to do some exercising. We walked, rode bikes and rode on the go-kart for the first time since the 4th of July. Ann made a delicious parmesan crusted tilapia that even Luke ate – in fact; he’s been eating a lot more fish lately. Tuesday was yet another scorcher with temps near 100! Matt was back over at the high school early for two-a-days. Abby returned to Mom & Sandy’s house to be with Gracie. Luke & I exercised again – not only did we get the go-kart out, but we also played a little basketball afterwards. Nathan has really made a lot of progress on our home, which is really starting to look good. We have replaced the roof, the siding, flashing, trim, gutters, downspouts, storm door, screens, fixed ceilings and walls, painted walls and ceilings and much, much more. Although we’re not done yet, we can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. What a difference a couple months make. It’s been an unusual summer. I have a few pictures that I haven’t published yet that go from the aftermath of the storm through a few different phases of the restoration process.

hr11.1 hr11.2 hr11.3 hr11.4 hr11.5 hr11.6 hr11.7 hr11.8 hr11.9 hr11.10 hr11.11 hr11.12 hr11.13 hr11.14 hr11.15 hr11.16 hr11.17 hr11.18 hr11.19 hr11.20 hr11.21 hr11.22 hr11.23 hr11.24 hr11.25 hr11.26 hr11.27 hr11.28 hr11.29 hr11.30 hr11.31

Heavy storms greeted us Wednesday morning. I dropped Abby off at WTRE and ran Luke to Brandy’s house. On our way to football practice afterwards, Matt & I were caught in a downpour that caused a transformer to blow up right in front of us! It was wild. There was an extremely bright blue ball that looked like a damn UFO for a moment. It then sent sparks cascading down upon the traffic in front of us. I got him to the high school and made my way back across town only to find that Main St. was completely flooded. It took me at least 10 minutes to get back out to the bypass due to all the water on the road. Although it was cooler after the rain, it quickly warmed back up in to the lower 90s but we were all thrilled to find that the humidity finally subsided a bit. Luke started soccer practice that night. He is entering his third year and first at U-10, which means a bigger ball and a bigger field, so it will be interesting to see how he is able to adjust. He is paired with the coach from his first year, so that helped with his comfort level. As it turns out, he is on an all-boys team. Back at the house, Nathan and his father-in-law (“Grandpa” as Maryann calls him) worked late on the house that night. Matt’s football camp continued on Thursday. Abby, Ann and I toured the Junior High School so that she will know what’s up next week. Luke and I exercised back home again with walking, biking, go-karting, basketball). Grace came home with us and stayed the night with Abby. We had Pizza King for dinner that finally woke Matt up (he was out after he got home from practice). Matt & I watched Scarface as a part of Mob Week on AMC. We have enjoyed mob movies all week, in fact. Matt was back out for all-day football practices on Friday morning. Luke had soccer practice and Ann went out with Shawna to the casino in Shelbyville. Luke and I went out to Mancino’s for dinner and came home and watched Rio (well Abby & I fell asleep on the couch, but Lukey liked the movie!). I finally got out and mowed at Mom & Sandy’s house on Saturday. It was the first time the truck had run in nearly a month. Everything ran fine – well everything except for the darn weed eater again. I am so over that stupid Poulan Pro and will never own another one. I need to take it in to work to have JT look at it again (3rd time this year). Luke and I came home and removed the chain link fence on our property line with the Walters’. Abby went with Grace and her grandparents to the YMCA for swimming for the entire afternoon. We officially set a record today for 20 straight days of 90+ degrees – it is the longest in recorded history for this area. Matt had an early football practice and then we had to have him back out there again in the late afternoon in preparation for the annual Blue / White scrimmage at the high school. Matt was the starting center on the Blue team and in fact took every offensive snap at that position! He will wear # 63 this year. He had a couple pancakes during run blocking and provided great pass protection all night. Matt also saw action in the kickoff return team and even had a handful of snaps at defensive tackle. It was a close game, but blue won 16-12. Mom & Sandy also came out to watch the game. To celebrate Matt’s success, we all went out to Buffalo Wings & Rings, where I dominated the evening’s Buzztime Trivia (which focused more on music this evening) and watched a WILD ending to the NASCAR race on their big screen TV. Everyone slept in Sunday morning…aaahhh… We eventually got up and did our weekly chores around the house. Ann shopped all day. Abby joined her as they did back-to-school shopping for several hours and came home with lots of goodies!

mfbaw11.1 mfbaw11.2 mfbaw11.3 mfbaw11.4 mfbaw11.5 mfbaw11.6 mfbaw11.7 mfbaw11.8 mfbaw11.9 mfbaw11.10 mfbaw11.11 mfbaw11.12 mfbaw11.13 mfbaw11.14 mfbaw11.15 mfbaw11.16 mfbaw11.17 mfbaw11.18 mfbaw11.19 mfbaw11.20 mfbaw11.21 mfbaw11.22 mfbaw11.23 mfbaw11.24 mfbaw11.25 mfbaw11.26 mfbaw11.27 mfbaw11.28 mfbaw11.29 mfbaw11.30 mfbaw11.31 mfbaw11.32 mfbaw11.33 mfbaw11.34 mfbaw11.35 mfbaw11.36 mfbaw11.37 mfbaw11.38 mfbaw11.39 mfbaw11.40 mfbaw11.41 mfbaw11.42 mfbaw11.43 mfbaw11.44 mfbaw11.45 mfbaw11.46 mfbaw11.47 mfbaw11.48 mfbaw11.49 mfbaw11.50 mfbaw11.51 mfbaw11.52 mfbaw11.53 mfbaw11.54 mfbaw11.55 mfbaw11.56 mfbaw11.57 mfbaw11.58 mfbaw11.59 mfbaw11.60 mfbaw11.61 mfbaw11.62 mfbaw11.63 mfbaw11.64

On top of the four family videos we have for this two-week period, I also had a whole bunch of miscellaneous videos to catch up on and wanted to share them with you this week…

Next up, as promised, let’s check out this week’s Waybac feature. Leading off, we start with an oldie of Ann and her danced partner from the late 70s at Dixon Dance Studios; next we have several from December of ’89 in LaPorte – Dad & Rob building a snowman in the front yard at our Rockwood St home and Grandpaw Brown unloading his Olds 88, playing euchre and opening presents and playing with Peanuts.

Waybac.1978.awpadd Waybac.1989.12.ctilp1 Waybac.1989.12.ctilp2 Waybac.1989.12.ctilp3 Waybac.1989.12.ctilp4 Waybac.1989.12.ctilp5

Then we go to May of ’95 in Florida at the Sand Pebble in Treasure Island during Week 19 on the porch of the condo and at the tiki bar in May of ‘95; Matt with his mommy and grandma Scheu in Columbus for his 1st birthday in March of ‘97; and finally Matt and Abby during her 1st Christmas at our first home in Greensburg in ‘99

Waybac.1995.05.vatsp1 Waybac.1995.05.vatsp2 Waybac.1995.05.vatsp3 Waybac.1995.05.vatsp4 Waybac.1995.05.vatsp5 Waybac.1997.03.mfb1 Waybac.1997.03.mfb2 Waybac.1997.03.mfb3 Waybac.1997.03.mfb4 Waybac.1999.12.25.afc11 Waybac.1999.12.25.afc12 Waybac.1999.12.25.afc13 Waybac.1999.12.25.afc14

And we end with Matt and Abby on Christmas morning on Main St. in Y2K; and then Matt and Abby in the kiddy pool, back at the Sand Pebble in Treasure Island in 2002.

Waybac.2000.12.25.asc1 Waybac.2000.12.25.asc2 Waybac.2000.12.25.asc3 Waybac.2000.12.25.asc4 Waybac.2002.05.12.satsp1 Waybac.2002.05.12.satsp2 Waybac.2002.05.12.satsp3 Waybac.2002.05.12.satsp4

Well that does it for this episode of the Scheu Family Blog. We hope you enjoyed this double edition and thank you for keeping up with us and we’ll catch up with you again next time out. Until then, have a good one.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply