I Thank You, Mr. Miracle…

The big news this week was the investigation in to the big explosion in Indy has been deemed a homicide plot instead of an accident and is now a murder investigation. Led Zeppelin finally released new material, albeit live material from five years ago at their reunion at the O2 Theatre in London. I’ve had this show on bootleg video since the day after the show, but the audio alone has blown me away. It is unfortunate that the movie didn’t show in any of the local cinemas but at least now it is out on Blue Ray…now I need a BR player for Christmas! Jimmy Page promises new solo material in 2013 (but I’ve heard that all before). I’ll believe it when I see it. It was a short work week due to the Thanksgiving holiday where we got to celebrate with Ann’s side of the family – in fact we had another Thanxmas this year. And my cousin Lindsay announced her engagement to her long-time beau, Jack. We wish them both the best of luck!! Sadly, King’s Island tore down one of my old favorite roller coasters – Son of Beast – which had been out of operation for years…and Larry Hagman (better known as JR Ewing or Major Nelson) passed away this week.
On Monday, it finally started to warm up a little. Matt had wrestling and Abby had dance team practice. When I got home, I was surprised to find a quiet home. Abby had taken Luke to the junior high school basketball game…and they didn’t fight!
Tuesday was another nice day. Luke had basketball practice and Matt had wrestling. Matt is already down to within about 10 lbs of his weight class! That night, Ann & I took Abby and Luke to the home opener of the men’s varsity basketball team as they faced off against North Decatur. Our boys are the preseason #1 in division 3A basketball!! We have reserved season tickets in the lower portion of the gym this year and let me tell you – the seats are very small! Abby rode home with Matt as the rest of us left shortly after halftime – our kiddos are growing up… Matt had to work at the game. He taped the first quarter as a part of his class with Coach Moore. Before the game as he was setting up the camera stuff, he actually fell down the stairs and put a nasty gash on his ankle. It was pretty swollen when he got back home. I saw on Sports Center that a kid named Jack Taylor scored an amazing 138 points for Grinnell, an NCAA DIII school – Wow! …And Luke was thrilled to get his new Kindle Fire in the mail today (it is a replacement for his first one that stopped working recently). Matt brought home his 1st place ribbons from his wrestling matches this past weekend and he was in the paper that night as well.
Matt had wrestling on Wednesday. Abby’s dance class was cancelled as was the boys’ haircuts. Brayton got his license today, the last of the three amigos (Darby, Matt and he). On my way home, I stopped and picked up food from our favorite carry-out joint – Koch’s – for dinner. It was a relaxing evening on the couch, spent watching Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving and then the Wizard of Oz. Luke continued to spend large amounts of free time creating new artwork.

lbgc12.55 laje12.1 laje12.2 laje12.3 fbp12.11.39 fbp12.11.40 fbp12.11.41 fbp12.11.42 fbp12.11.43 fbp12.11.44 fbp12.11.45 fbp12.11.46 fbp12.11.47 fbp12.11.48 gpbnd12.1 gpbnd12.2 gpbnd12.3 gpbnd12.4 gpbnd12.5 gpbnd12.6 mwri12.35 mwri12.36 lap12.14 lap12.15 lap12.16 lsvp12.1 lsvp12.2

Ann went with Gigi on Thanksgiving Day morning for their annual AM shopping outing. It was one of the nicest Thanksgiving Days that I could remember! Luke & I also went out that morning, Hot Wheels hunting. We talked to Rob and Dad on the phone. They had a big meal planned for the day. This is our first Thanksgiving without Mom. Although Mom & I hadn’t spent a Thanksgiving together in a few years, it was hard not hearing her voice that morning… We came home and watched the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade followed by lunch at Mom & Sandy’s house w/ Dee, Jamie, Grace & Jamie’s Mom. “Grandpa” Joe stopped in to say hi then left just as quickly. As usual, MaryAnn went all out – turkey, ham, noodles, mashed potatoes, stuffing, green bean casserole, rolls & salad (Ann) and more. For dessert, she made different pies and cupcakes – needless to say, we were all stuffed as usual! Family and food are only two of the three things this holiday is all about – the third is obviously football! The boys enjoyed having 12 hours of pigskin to watch on the TV. In the opener, the Texans edged out the Lions in overtime. During halftime, Luke & I played football out in the side street at Gma’s. A little later, Luke talked Jamie in to taking him out to play again. We went home and watched the late afternoon game, which had my Cowboys against their archrivals – the Redskins. Washington jumped out to a big 1st half lead – 28-3. Dallas came roaring back in the 4th quarter after we went back to Memaw & Gigi’s for dinner. After a couple of cold turkey sandwiches, the Cowboys came up just short of a comeback victory, 38-31. We went back to our house after Ann refused to play euchre just as the game ended. Jamie came over and had a cold beverage and watched the game with me. It was ugly from the get go as the Patriots put an absolute shellacking on the Jets. I felt awful as I actually fell asleep a couple times during the game with him here – how lame is that? We played around and found our annual Jib Jab video to share with Grandma Owens and the family during Thanxmas this weekend. Matt stayed the night with Andy and some of his other football buddies that night. They went shopping in Columbus, Greenwood and Indianapolis.
Ann & Amy were up early and out the door for Black Friday shopping! Again this year, they had matching horrible head gear and necklaces…those other shoppers didn’t know what they were in for! They had their pictures taken a couple times. They were gone all day and most of the night, finally pulling in to harbor after 1 in the morning on Saturday – not quite their record, but commendable just the same…talk about shop till you drop! Matt returned from his shopping outing much earlier. Abby went to the movies with her buddies and we did our weekly chores around the house in between naps. We enjoyed Thanksgiving leftovers that Memaw sent home with us and watched a bunch of stuff we had saved on the DVR. It was colder and we finally had to turn the heat back up in the house. Brr…

darth12.1 td12.1 td12.2 td12.3 td12.4 td12.5 td12.6 td12.7 td12.8 td12.9 td12.10 td12.11 td12.12 td12.13 bf12.1 bf12.2 bf12.3

We celebrated Thanxmas on Saturday as Keith, Rosie & Megan made their way in from NY by way of my old home town, LaPorte where Rosie’s mom and family still reside. Ann made olive dip (I need to get that back from Gigi!) and spinach / artichoke dip which were both hits. Gigi made her sausage balls, Dee had some really good chocolate/peanut butter pilgrim hats that didn’t last long and Jamie had baked beans. Mom made everything under the sun, including “Spanish” hamburger, turkey, ham, homemade mac & cheese, 3 kinds of potato salad, corn casserole, and pies/cupcakes among lots of other munchies. We had Captain & Cokes and some Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale over a Gigi’s bingo and a few games of euchre (Ann & Sandy beat Jamie & I 2-1). We gave the kiddos their Thanxmas presents and the adults had a fun “Dirty Santa” exchange, centered on the theme of “sticky.” Ann & I came away with some cash and schnapps – pretty good night! 😉

thxm12.1 thxm12.2 thxm12.3 thxm12.4 thxm12.5 thxm12.6 thxm12.7 thxm12.8 thxm12.9 thxm12.10 thxm12.11 thxm12.12 thxm12.13 thxm12.14 thxm12.15 thxm12.16 thxm12.17 thxm12.18 thxm12.19 thxm12.20 thxm12.21 thxm12.22 thxm21.23 thxm12.24 thxm12.25 thxm12.26 thxm12.27 thxm12.28 thxm12.29 thxm12.30 thxm12.31 thxm12.32 thxm12.33 thxm12.34 thxm12.35 thxm12.36 thxm12.37 thxm12.38 thxm12.39 thxm12.40 thxm12.41 thxm12.42 thxm12.43 thxm12.44 thxm12.45 thxm12.46 thxm12.47 thxm12.48 thxm12.49 thxm12.50 thxm12.51 thxm12.52 thxm12.53 thxm12.54 thxm12.55 thxm12.56 thxm12.57 thxm12.58 thxm12.59 thxm12.60 thxm12.61 thxm12.62 thxm12.63 thxm12.64 thxm12.65 thxm12.66 thxm12.67 thxm12.68 thxm12.69

We got to sleep in on Sunday morning. Around lunchtime, instead of eating and watching football with the Owens family, we were headed up to Connersville with Luke for his travel basketball team. In their first game, they faced Tri High. Luke wore his new shoes and his #1 uniform (I don’t think he’s ever been that number before). He was 2 of 4 from the field with his first two baskets of the year! Congrats, kiddo!! He also had an assist, 3 rebounds, a steal, two forced turnovers with no turnovers himself, a blocked shot and one foul during a pick that shouldn’t have been called (see for yourself below and you make the call). The Pirates were in control from the get go and in fact they had a shutout until just a few minutes were left in the game when the Titans finally made a free throw and moments later finally made a field goal. The game ended 25-7 to run their early-season record to 3-0. In their 2nd game, they faced the Lincoln Eagles. Luke was 1-5 from the field with 3 rebounds, a steal, a foul and two blocked shots. The Pirates were again in complete control and led from the very get-go by a very large margin, blowing out their opponent easily, 38-2! We took Luke out to celebrate at Taco Bell. We tried a couple other places, but he insisted on making a run for the border. Meanwhile, Matt & Abby had gone over to Gma & Gigi’s house to see Keith & Rosie. I came home and Ann went on to Mom’s house to see her brother. I tried to pay bills and watch football, but our internet was down and I spent a half hour working on it and then finally called Com-crap. They tried to address the issue but were unsuccessful. I will try to get Mom or Sandy to come over on Tuesday. Hopefully it will correct itself over night and I can cancel the call. I helped Abby with her Science Fair graphs and chilled on the couch while watching what was left of the football games this evening.

lbgc12.1 lbgc12.2 lbgc12.3 lbgc12.4 lbgc12.5 lbgc12.6 lbgc12.7 lbgc12.8 lbgc12.9 lbgc12.10 lbgc12.11 lbgc12.12 lbgc12.13 lbgc12.14 lbgc12.15 lbgc12.16 lbgc12.17 lbgc12.18 lbgc12.19 lbgc12.20 lbgc12.21 lbgc12.22 lbgc12.23 lbgc12.24 lbgc12.25 lbgc12.26 lbgc12.27 lbgc12.28 lbgc12.29 lbgc12.30 lbgc12.31 lbgc12.32 lbgc12.33 lbgc12.34 lbgc12.35 lbgc12.36 lbgc12.37 lbgc12.38 lbgc12.39 lbgc12.40 lbgc12.41 lbgc12.42 lbgc12.43 lbgc12.44 lbgc12.45 lbgc12.46 lbgc12.47 lbgc12.48 lbgc12.49 lbgc12.50 lbgc12.51 lbgc12.52 lbgc12.53 lbgc12.54 lbgc12.55 lbgc12.56 lbgc12.57

Next up is our video section, including three new home movies and several from around the internet…

Our Waybac section continues to feature the photography of Gil Hutton of Lafayette. We still have a couple months worth to go before we get in to the next box of photos that Mom gave me. But we lead off this section with a couple of crops of a great picture from April of ’61, the morning of Sue & Hank’s wedding at the Highland house with Grandpa Scheu and what I believe is my Dad as well; newborn Cathy in October of ’63; Aunt Judy in early ’63; Cathy in March of ’64; Cathy in April of ’64 and Cathy in September of ’64.

Waybac.1961.04.15.sahw76 Waybac.1961.04.15.sahw77 Waybac.1963.10.nbc4 Waybac.1963-1964.jas13 Waybac.1964.03.25.c5mo5 Waybac.1964.03.25.c5mo6 Waybac.1964.04.c3mo18 Waybac.1964.04.c3mo19 Waybac.1964.04.c3mo20 Waybac.1964.09.03c11mo29 Waybac.1964.09.03c11mo30 Waybac.1964.cs15

Next up is David in September of 1965; David & Cathy in December of 1965; John & June’s wedding in December of 1968; and Cathy & David in June of 1970.

Waybac.1965.09.d3mo14 Waybac.1965.09.d3mo15 Waybac.1965.09.d3mo16 Waybac.1965.12.27.d6m5 Waybac.1965.12.27.d6m6 Waybac.1965.12.27.d6m7 Waybac.1965.12.cs2y3m5 Waybac.1965.12.cs2y3m6 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw104 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw105 Waybac.1970.06.15.c6.5yo57 Waybac.1970.06.15.c6.5yo58 Waybac.1970.06.15.d5yo9

Well that does it for this entry of the Scheu Family Blog. As always, thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply