That Little Part of Me that used to be so Strong, is Stumbling over now that I know you’re Moving On

This was a very busy week for us here at the Scheu abode. Summer returned as we experienced the hottest and most humid days of the entire summer…and it lasted the whole week. Abby continued with her normal hectic schedule. Luke and I worked hard all week in practice and had our first game of the year. But the big news of the week was taking Matt to college…
On Monday, Luke had football. It was so muggy that night that we had to take extra precautions to ensure the boys stayed properly hydrated. Abby had jazz dance class at Dixon Dance. Matt took the day off from work to start organizing his stuff. Memaw & Gigi left on their trip to Buffalo to see Keith & Rosie. Rosie was scheduled to go to the cath lab to get things checked out. Thankfully, things turned out great for her. …Not so much for Mom though. She fell in their house and bruised some ribs. She got knocked around so much that she had to go to the hospital to get it checked out. She is still sore as I type this on Sunday night…and we were sad to hear the 3rd big celebrity to pass in the past week – announcer Don Pardo (best known for his voice opening SNL for 40 some years) passed away. I was up very late that night getting my USA Football coaching certification. We have a few miscellaneous photos to share from Ann’s phone of Luke from the past couple weeks…

mui14.48 amp14.2 amp14.3 amp14.4 amp14.5 amp14.6 amp14.7 amp14.8 amp14.9 amp14.10 amp14.11

Tuesday started off very, very foggy. Abby was in early for a Student Council meeting. Luke and I had football and again had to wash our stuff because we came home drenched in sweat. The boys worked really hard that night in preparation of our opening day later that week. Abby had Pirateers practice after school. Ann made the final big “last supper” for Matthew. It was the 3rd night in a row for him – his picks: cheeseburgers on Sunday, garlic chicken on Monday and then chicken fettuccini alfredo tonight. Afterwards, Matt & Ann began packing up while I loaded the car. I also found some miscellaneous pictures on my phone of Luke from the past week or so as well…

top14.1 top14.2 top14.3 top14.4 top14.5 top14.6 top14.7 top14.8

Ann & I took off on Wednesday. I ran the kids to school and then we left for the big ride up to the University of Indianapolis. It was Matt’s move-in day. As we came up to the school, we passed by off-campus student housing. There was one house in particular that stuck out – the one that had a dozen or so co-eds out on the lawn, drinking beer at 9:30 and cheering the new recruits, encouraging us to honk our horns. It was cute. I could envision Matt & Colten there in four years… Matt’s sharing a dorm room with his good buddy Colten (from football & wrestling). They have a nice dorm room…a whole lot nicer than I had when I was a freshman! They have A/C, cable TV and wifi! As Matt got the key to his room, Ann & I unloaded the car and stacked up his stuff behind the car. Two very nice men hauled everything away to his dorm for us and I later found out it was the University President as well as the President of the Board of Trustees – wow!! The Prez encouraged Matt to try his hand at sports here at U Indy. We got his room set up and then grabbed lunch, got his parking pass and attended a welcoming ceremony before heading back home. We were sad and there were tears, but thankfully it was quick ride home which reassured us that he was still nearby. Like a good boy, we have talked to him each day since then as well. He and Colten have attended many events for the freshmen to get acquainted to the school, including a couple parties, an Indians game, midnight madness at the local Target store where they opened up the store for the kids and gave them 20% off on the entire store and even a scavenger hunt downtown. We are so proud of him and know he will do well. Later, Luke had basketball practice at the high school. And it was Robert Plant’s 66th birthday.

mui14.1 mui14.2 mui14.3 mui14.4 mui14.5 mui14.6 mui14.7 mui14.8 mui14.9 mui14.10 mui14.11 mui14.12 mui14.13 mui14.14 mui14.15 mui14.16 mui14.17 mui14.18 mui14.19 mui14.20 mui14.21 mui14.22 mui14.23 mui14.24 mui14.25 mui14.26 mui14.27 mui14.28 mui14.29 mui14.30 mui14.31 mui14.32 mui14.33 mui14.34 mui14.35 mui14.36 mui14.37 mui14.38 mui14.39 mui14.40 mui14.41 mui14.42 mui14.43 mui14.44 mui14.45 mui14.46 mui14.47 mui14.48 mui14.49 mui14.50 mui14.51

On Thursday, Luke returned to football. It was even hotter that evening and had rained earlier so it was super-muggy out there again. We had the kids take breaks about every 10 minutes or so. Abby had Pirateers practice and then had tap dance class at Dixon. I later went out to Bryan’s house for a coaches meeting and had a couple beverages. We ended up helping out a woman who hit & killed a deer next to Bryan’s house. She was down in a little valley and was in a very dangerous place. So we let oncoming traffic know of her presence. And it was Glenn Hughes 63rd birthday. I received a very sweet card from my Cardiac Rehab team in Columbus – both Traci & Katie were instrumental in my quick recovery.

tcr14.10 tcr14.11 tcr14.12

Luke & went with Bryan & Drew to Shelbyville on Friday night. Bryan & I kept stats up on top of the booth. It was a cool view of the field. The game was pretty good, but we ended up losing by 1 point. As for the stats, we tried out a new electronic version of stat keeping on an iPad. We had mixed results. We screwed it up twice, once losing the entire 1st quarter. The program has many bugs that need to be worked out yet. We went out to B-dubs for wings and a brew afterwards. Meanwhile, Abby went out a date to the movies with her new boyfriend. Although he did not come and meet me (which is our rule), Ann was able to do a quick “reference check” before she left the house. We have several new social media pictures to share this week: Matt and U of Indy; Chris & Trish’s son; Wendy’s daughter; Barney at baseball game; Daniel & Kels on vacation; Nathan’s girls; Allen; Grace Potter; the Cowboys have a lot to prove this year; Don Pardo; I have enjoyed the Simpsons marathon on the new FXX channel – they are playing “Every. Episode. Ever.”; the two birthday boys; Metallica wrapped up their summer “By Request” tour; a Calvin & Hobbes panel; Lynz; Barney & the Mackenzie boys at Uncle John’s Coyote Crossing; Matt & Colten at an Indians game with U-Indy freshmen; more pix of the Nathan’s girls; and my cousin Brent with his new ride.

smp14.08.161 smp14.08.162 smp14.08.163 smp14.08.164 smp14.08.165 smp14.08.166 smp14.08.167 smp14.08.168 smp14.08.169 smp14.08.170 smp14.08.171 smp14.08.172 smp14.08.173 smp14.08.174 smp14.08.175 smp14.08.176 smp14.08.177 smp14.08.178 smp14.08.179 smp14.08.180 smp14.08.181 smp14.08.182 smp14.08.183 smp14.08.185 smp14.08.186 smp14.08.187 smp14.08.188 smp14.08.189 smp14.08.190 smp14.08.191 smp14.08.192 smp14.08.193 smp14.08.194

We finally got to sleep-in on Saturday morning. It was the first time in quite a while. I ran to the store for a few things (first of three trips on the day) before Luke & I drove out to Coach Messer’s house. The new house is really coming along and is looking fabulous. I can’t wait to have that first coaches meeting at the new Messer’s Bar! The girls drove up a couple hours later. We had trouble putting together enough kids to even play the game, but we got it all worked out and ended up having 13 kids suited up. We also had one in street clothes (our best defensive player) and we may have even picked up one that had quit earlier. We travelled to Connersville again this week. It was the hottest day of the week and we played at the hottest time of the day (kickoff was about 2:30 in full sunshine). The heat completely zapped our boys in the 2nd half. The refs were good about taking extra water breaks, which helped us and kept the kids safe. Luke played the entire game without a break. On offense, he played center. He hadn’t made a single snap all year until about 30 minutes before the game, when Coach Messer made a game-time decision to move him from tackle to center. He did this in part to allow the offense to do shotgun formations and call audibles. He did great, considering he hasn’t hiked the ball in a couple years. He did not have any bad snaps and did a great job of blocking. I was very happy with his efforts on the offensive line. He later moved back to tackle for the final series so we could protect the quarterback a little better on his back side. On defense, he played end and linebacker. He had a few really good tackles, including a QB sack! However, he also got sucked in on a couple plays and lost outside contain to allow big gainers – one going for a score. He also played all special teams – on kickoff team, he kicked the ball very well. He had two kicks that averaged about 40 yards each! On kickoff return, he played in the 2nd line but they did onside kicks the whole game. Offensively, we never really got going. Our kids came out flat and we gave up touchdowns on their first two drives. We made several mistakes. In fact, I had to go out onto the field to coach after the 2nd drive because we were out of place so frequently. We have to start a couple boys that we really wanted to have sub at different positions. But with such a limited amount of kids, we have to make due. We did a little better at first in the 2nd half, getting a stop and then the offense put the ball in the endzone. However, our kids began to wilt in the heat. I had several of them giving up and not wanting to play any longer. They were hot, tired, sore and several of them were crying…crying while playing on the field! Several boys played all three ways and many of them had to go off the field for a few plays to rest and that hurt us. Twice I had to send out starters due to these elements and twice we got burned because of it. That is on me and I swore to the kids after the game and swore it would not happen again. We came home after losing the game 8-24 and I began work on creating diagrams for the defense to study. We will have to have different kids learn different positions so that we don’t get in the binds that we were in today. I thought the boys were good with our defenses and we obviously aren’t. I didn’t realize how many starters we lost from last year until I started looking at game notes from a year ago. We will have to work hard to win next week against our rivals, Batesville. I taped the big NASCAR night race at Bristol (a race on my bucket list!) as well as the long-awaited debut of the 12th doctor on the season premier of Dr. Who. Meanwhile, Abby watched her boyfriend’s soccer game and then attended a big overnight Pirateers party out in the boondocks. We were supposed to meet up with Bryan & Angie at the St Mary’s Festival where he was playing with his band Skeeter McGee. But we couldn’t see going out in that heat, humidity and thunderstorm and instead had date night and watched a couple movies on the couch in the A/C. I worked all night on the defense handouts that I probably should’ve made a couple months ago for the boys.

lfc14.1 lfc14.2 lfc14.3 lfc14.4 lfc14.5 lfc14.6 lfc14.7 lfc14.8 lfc14.9 lfc14.10 lfc14.11 lfc14.12 lfc14.13 lfc14.14 lfc14.15 lfc14.16 lfc14.17 lfc14.18 lfc14.19 lfc14.20 lfc14.21 lfc14.22 lfc14.23 lfc14.24 lfc14.25 lfc14.26 lfc14.27 lfc14.28 lfc14.29 lfc14.30 lfc14.31 lfc14.32 lfc14.33 lfc14.34 lfc14.35 lfc14.36 lfc14.37 lfc14.38 lfc14.39 lfc14.40 lfc14.41 lfc14.42 lfc14.43 lfc14.44 lfc14.45 lfc14.46 lfc14.47 lfc14.48 lfc14.49 lfc14.50 lfc14.51 lfc14.52 lfc14.53 lfc14.54 lfc14.55 lfc14.56 lfc14.57 lfc14.58 lfc14.59 lfc14.60 lfc14.61 lfc14.62 lfc14.63 lfc14.64 lfc14.65 lfc14.66 lfc14.67

We slept in again on Sunday before getting up and doing our weekly as well as our monthly household chores. Ann picked up Abby and I ran Luke to basketball practice. Ann & I enjoyed cheesy popcorn for lunch and then grilled chicken on salad for dinner while we watched the taped race and Dr Who show as well as a pair of NFL games. I got the bad regulator off the grill and will return it to Lowe’s (thanks, Jason!) on Monday so we can start grilling out more to continue our move to healthier diets. I HAVE to get better with exercising this coming week as well as cut back on my intake if I want to see more weight loss…but on a brighter note, I made it through another week being smoke-free! :0)

Black Black.Slant.Left Black.Slant.Right Black.Trojan Orange White

Next up is our Waybac section which features five pictures of Mom. We start off this week in 1980: in January we have a great picture of our young family at Grandmaw & Grandpaw’s house on a davenport that I would later have in the apartment in Franklin, Nathan holding Rob and sitting next to me with the back of Aunt Sharon’s head; and Aunt Marilou with Great Grandma Brown in her kitchen; then on to June for Aunt Kathy’s high school graduation with classic photos of (among others) Uncle Keith, Great Grandpa Morgan, Aunt Karen, Brent & Emily; and then Grandpaw Brown working on his old mower. Next we move on to one photo from1981 with Dad B and Robby asleep on the living room floor in the Kenwood St home in LP. Next is 1982: in February we have Dad & Sharon in Kokomo and then Robby running around the new house on Rockwood St in October (Rob, I can see your doodle!) ;-). In 1985 we have Grandmaw & Grandpaw camping with Aunt Norma & Uncle Ralph in their camper in Michigan in May as well as Rob & I opening birthday presents in our living room in LP – Rob, my friend Julie, Mom, Dad & Peanuts. Next up is 1986: our April vacation to Florida has Rob & I in the Magic Kingdom at Orlando’s Disney World and then Rob’s birthday in October with Dad and his neighborhood buddies in our backyard. Then Grandmaw Connie’s unexpected funeral in September of 1988 with Mom, Rob, Grandmaw Bob and I in Lafayette. A couple from the stack of Paul & I in college – the two of us returning from a trail in Brown Co National Park and our friend Justin at a party. Then we wind up with a fury: Mom, Dad & Matt in the Dream House in Rossville in November of ’96; Bub & Boo in December of 1999; Abby & Matt again…this time spreading reindeer dust in the front lawn in 2002 on Christmas Eve and me opening my Hot Wheels a short while earlier back at Memaw & Gigi’s house; and finally Matt playing flag football (the first year I coached football) at the YMCA for the Bengals in October of 2003.

Waybac.1980.01.cil32 Waybac.1980.01.cil34 Waybac.1980.01.mbmh1 Waybac.1980.06.18.ksg9 Waybac.1980.06.18.ksg11 Waybac.1980.06.gwm1 Waybac.1981.06.drs0 Waybac.1982.02.cik2 Waybac.1982.02.cik4 Waybac.1982.10.rsp1 Waybac.1985.05.23.vim1 Waybac.1985.05.23.vim3 Waybac.1985.10.rtb1 Waybac.1985.10.trb3 Waybac.1985.10.trb5 Waybac.1986.04.dsb22 Waybac.1986.04.dsb24 Waybac.1986.04.dsb26 Waybac.1986.04.dsb28 Waybac.1986.10.rbp1 Waybac.1986.10.rbp3 Waybac.1988.09.cjmbf8 Waybac.1988.09.cjmbf10 Waybac.1988.09.cjmbf12 Waybac.1991.patfc6 Waybac.1991.patfc8 Waybac.1996.11.tir1 Waybac.1999.12.macp1 Waybac.2002.12.cig41 Waybac.2002.12.cig43 Waybac.2003.10.myf1 Waybac.2003.10.myf3

Next up is our video section which includes one (our 770th!) new family video and several from around the internet this week.

And that does it for this week’s episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss you, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply