…Just in Case I Blow Out

We enjoyed more of the lovely fall weather here in Indiana this week. We saw nearly everything this week – we went from no humidity and 70s to high humidity and almost 90 at the middle of the week before heavy rains brought in much colder temps and our first freeze warning of the season. Matt had a full week of college classes. Abby had her typically busy week in high school as her class president. And Luke focused on football at the elementary school, enjoying a blow-out game for once, having fun with his friends and talking to his girlfriend. We lead off with images of last weekend when we celebrated Abby’s 15th birthday with our family.

lfr14.115 afbp14.1 afbp14.2 afbp14.3 afbp14.4 afbp14.5 afbp14.6 afbp14.7 afbp14.8 afbp14.9 afbp14.10 afbp14.11 afbp14.12 afbp14.13 afbp14.14 afbp14.15 afbp14.16 afbp14.17 afbp14.18 afbp14.19 afbp14.20 afbp14.21 afbp14.22 afbp14.23 afbp14.24 afbp14.25 afbp14.26 afbp14.27

On Monday, Abby had Pirateers and jazz class where Ann found out that the Pirateers coach would be resigning before the end of the year. Meanwhile Luke and I went to football where we scrimmaged the 6th graders and looked pretty good doing it.
I was in early for our annual 12 hour generator test and had to leave early for football practice. It was a long day… Bu was in early on Tuesday for Student Council. She went out with her friends after school before Pirateers. Abby’s iPhone came in and she could barely wait to get home – thanks to Memaw for coming to our house early to receive it for her. Luke had football practice again where this time we scrimmaged the 4th graders. One of the key members of our offensive/defensive line returned to the team after being gone for nearly a week for an unknown reason. He is notoriously late and has several no show/ no call practices, despite the offer from the coaching staff to pick him up / drop him off whenever needed via text/phone call. He was about a half hour late and missed warm-ups, so we had him jog a couple laps to get warmed up for live contact drills. After his 2nd lap, his father came on to the field and began yelling incoherently, cussing, gesturing and threw equipment. Thankfully, the helmet didn’t hit anyone but Bryan was once again given the moniker of the Worst Coach Ever. Bryan had no idea what was even going on, since he was working with the backs and ends while Terry and I had the linemen. We all tried to talk with the parent, but he was in too much of a rage to hear anything and grabbed his child and sped away, throwing gravel on vehicles as he sped away. I will assume the player will not return. Unfortunately, this isn’t the first time behavior such as this has been displayed with this child’s family. The mother was belligerent and cussed at Bryan during weigh-ins two years ago. The father had a verbal tirade at an away game last year and was asked to leave the school. This year his outburst was witnessed by not only all our children but all the children at practice that day (1st graders, 4th graders and 6th graders). The child is a very good player but I don’t think he’ll be allowed to return to the league due to the parental involvement. Naturally there were lots of questions by the children and so we had to end practice early to process what had occurred.
Abby did not go in early for a SADD meeting on Wednesday. Luke had a field trip to learn about the birds and the bees and specifically puberty. It was a gorgeous day. Luke & I went for a long walk in the neighborhood after work/school. Ann made soup for dinner, which meant Bu had her friends over for a study session. Brittney, Cam, Kirsten and Ty all came over and stayed for soup. We have lots of new social media pictures to share this week: lots of Abby with mom, dad and friends; lots of Lynz with Jack and friends; Barney’s oldest that looks so much like her grandma June; Rosie, Nathan’s girls; Wendy’s daughter; Pat & wife; Michelle at Disney; Mark running for office in LP; Kiwanis Field and the Slicer logo; Aca Y Ala roller rink in Lafayette; Burger Chef & Jeff; Snoopy welcoming my favorite month; Family Guy visits Springfield for the famous crossover episode; the two new Zeppelin releases will be out on my birthday; Bu & Brit; Nate & Steph at the ND game; Lyndz and her work out crew; Chris’ oldest; Pat w/ friends/family; The Big Dipper at Columbian Park in Lafayette; a great Calvin & Hobbes panel; more Snoopy; Rush has a big auction going on right now; and our best buddies, Bryan & Angie at the Colts game, working at their new house and relaxing at their pond.

smp14.10.01 smp14.10.02 smp14.10.03 smp14.10.04 smp14.10.05 smp14.10.06 smp14.10.07 smp14.10.08 smp14.10.09 smp14.10.10 smp14.10.11 smp14.10.12 smp14.10.13 smp14.10.14 smp14.10.15 smp14.10.16 smp14.10.17 smp14.10.18 smp14.10.19 smp14.10.20 smp14.10.21 smp14.10.22 smp14.10.23 smp14.10.24 smp14.10.25 smp14.10.26 smp14.10.27 smp14.10.28 smp14.10.29 smp14.10.30 smp14.10.31 smp14.10.32 smp14.10.33 smp14.10.34 smp14.10.35 smp14.10.36 smp14.10.37 smp14.10.38 smp14.10.39 smp14.10.40 smp14.10.41 smp14.10.42

Abby had Pirateers practice on Thursday evening and then had tap class at Dixon later that night. Luke and I had football again. He & Drew were sad that their friend and teammate, Dalton, will soon be moving to KY and so they enjoyed one last truck ride together on the way home after practice.
Friday had an early start as Bu had Junior Optimist club. Bryan & I took the boys to Batesville after school for the varsity game where we kept stats. Due to space constraints, we were unable to go up on the press box and instead walked the sidelines with Coach Moore. We were both tired afterwards and blamed our wives who likely bribed Coach to make us exercise! I was supposed to catch up with Drake, but never did see or hear from him. To be honest, it was really cold that night and it eventually rained really hard. That forced us in to the press box (we didn’t care what they said). The boys went on to the car and waited for the game to end…which couldn’t come soon enough. As if the rain and the cold weren’t enough, the varsity boys got roughed up and lost by 40 points. We went to Steak n Shake for dinner after the game. Meanwhile, Abby had a Pirateers party/bonfire/sleepover that evening which meant Ann had the house to herself. They are really making progress with the building of a new 100-bed dorm next door to our facility – the first thing to built on our side of the street in the 20 years since I’ve been there…

afn14.1 afn14.2 afn14.3 ahbp14.1 cbcsc14.1 cbcsc14.2 cbcsc14.3 ldd14.1 ldd14.2 ldd14.3 ldd14.4 ldd14.5 ldd14.6 ldd14.7 tbsb14.1 tbsb14.2 tbsb14.3 tbsb14.4 tbsb14.5 tbsb14.6 tbsb14.7

Luke & I were up early on Saturday morning to get outside and work in the yard. When the mowers were grudgingly fired up, it was so cold we could see our breath. Luke and I headed out an hour later for our final game of the regular season and likely the last home game of the year. It was a cold, windy day at North Park. We had zero fans when we started the game due to the conditions. We faced Rushville who we hadn’t ever faced before and although they had several more kids and many stripers up front, we weren’t sure what to expect. We only had 11 kids for the game, but it was all we would need on this day. We came out fired up and took it to them. Luke set the tone for the day with the opening kickoff which went all the way to the 10 yard line and we covered it from there. After forcing a three-and-out, we came right down the field and scored. Luke ran the ball a couple times and then kicked the extra point. After another good kickoff and subsequent tackle, Luke had a key QB sack as we forced another three-and-out. We again came right down the field and scored again with Luke running another couple balls and then kicked the extra point again to take a 14-0 lead after only a few minutes in to the 1st quarter. Luke’s 3rd kickoff was an onside kick that we recovered but were not awarded. We forced a fumble and again came down and scored. Luke missed the extra point so we kicked off with a 20-0 lead. Luke kicked a deep one and made the tackle again. After we forced another punt, we were able to score for a 4th time in the 1st half. Luke dropped a pass that would’ve likely gone for a TD and we had a reverse that went for a TD called back for holding before we drove down the field and had a long pass from Drew for a TD. We went for 2 to try and invoke the 28-point mercy rule but didn’t get in and we went to the half, up 26-0. We received the 2nd half kick and drove down the field for another score to extend it to a 32-0 lead. We started to have some fun on defense and experimented with different looks and stunts up front. We forced a pick-six that Grayson ran back (his 3rd score of the day) for another score to run it up to 38-0. Our defense then forced another turnover and we methodically drove down the field and scored on a pass play to Oakley to go up 44-0. Our defense was so dominant that I would be hard pressed to say that they even got a first down the entire game. After forcing a turnover on downs, for the 2nd time of the quarter, we let some of our linemen run the ball. It was fun to see Joe, Conner, Gavin and Caleb all take a turn at running the ball. The boys were all smiles after the game and we will enjoy this win for a couple weeks before we start the playoffs. We won’t know who we face or where we play for another week or so yet. In addition, we began making plans for the 2nd post-season tournament that we will host. Unfortunately, we have 7 that will play for the 10 and under team and 4 that will bump up to the 12 and over team. Luke, Drew and I went out to eat at BK after the game for some of our favorite grub and talk about the big victory. Drew spent the night with us and the boys had fun watching movies, building a fort, getting a kite stuck in the power lines out back and tormenting Abby of course. It was freaking cold that night and we actually turned the heat on just a little to take the chill out of the air. There was a freeze warning during the overnight.
Bryan & Angie came over to pick up Drew early on Sunday morning on their way to Kings Island. While the kids and I did our weekly chores, Ann went to Brown County with Shawna for the day. It was football day – the Colts pulled out a big victory. The Cowboys won in overtime. The Broncos won big and Payton had 4 TD passes, which puts him at 503 and is now only 5 away from the all-time record held by Favre. We taped the race and will watch it back later in the week.

lfr14.1 lfr14.2 lfr14.3 lfr14.4 lfr14.5 lfr14.6 lfr14.7 lfr14.8 lfr14.9 lfr14.10 lfr14.11 lfr14.12 lfr14.13 lfr14.14 lfr14.15 lfr14.16 lfr14.17 lfr14.18 lfr14.19 lfr14.20 lfr14.21 lfr14.22 lfr14.23 lfr14.24 lfr14.25 lfr14.26 lfr14.27 lfr14.28 lfr14.29 lfr14.30 lfr14.31 lfr14.32 lfr14.33 lfr14.34 lfr14.35 lfr14.36 lfr14.37 lfr14.38 lfr14.39 lfr14.40 lfr14.41 lfr14.42 lfr14.43 lfr14.44 lfr14.45 lfr14.46 lfr14.47 lfr14.48 lfr14.49 lfr14.50 lfr14.51 lfr14.52 lfr14.53 lfr14.54 lfr14.55 lfr14.56 lfr14.57 lfr14.58 lfr14.59 lfr14.60 lfr14.61 lfr14.62 lfr14.63 lfr14.64 lfr14.65 lfr14.66 lfr14.67 lfr14.68 lfr14.69 lfr14.70 lfr14.71 lfr14.72 lfr14.73 lfr14.74 lfr14.75 lfr14.76 lfr14.77 lfr14.78 lfr14.79 lfr14.80 lfr14.81 lfr14.82 lfr14.83 lfr14.84 lfr14.85 lfr14.86 lfr14.87 lfr14.88 lfr14.89 lfr14.90 lfr14.91 lfr14.92 lfr14.93 lfr14.94 lfr14.95 lfr14.96 lfr14.97 lfr14.98 lfr14.99 lfr14.100 lfr14.101 lfr14.102 lfr14.103 lfr14.104 lfr14.105 lfr14.106 lfr14.107 lfr14.108 lfr14.109 lfr14.110 lfr14.111 lfr14.112 lfr14.113 lfr14.114 lfr14.115 lfr14.116 lfr14.117 lfr14.118 lfr14.119 lfr14.120 lfr14.121 lfr14.122 lfr14.123 lfr14.124 lfr14.125 lfr14.126 lfr14.127 lfr14.128 lfr14.129 lfr14.130 lfr14.131 lfr14.132 lfr14.133 lfr14.134 lfr14.135

Next up is our Waybac section, which features 8 more precious photos of my late, sweet mother. Leading off this week is one of Grandpaw Bob Brown in the 1940s with his car, which appears to maybe be a ’34 Ford (?); a very rare photo of Great Grandpa Elmer Brown at his funeral in October ’53; Great Grandma Margret Morgan’s funeral and obit in November of ’78; Grandpaw “RL” Brown with his mustache and before/after photos of his sidewalk / porch in Aug/Sept ’79; Great Grandpa Bob Morgan in his basement in October ’79; Mom & Rob in Lafayette in January ’80; Grandmaw Bob Brown at Uncle Ralph & Aunt Norma’s house in February ’80; Mom holding Robby with Grandmaw Connie Brown and Aunt Lou Atha at Lou’s house in April ’80; Rob sitting on the Davenport at Grandmaw & Grandpaw’s house in April ’80; Mom with her birthday cake with Rob & Nathan looking on in Kokomo in June ’81; Rob at Uncle Kenny & Aunt Marilou’s house in Rossville for a fish fry reunion in August ’81; me hitting for Allis-Chalmers baseball team in August ’81; another annual fish fry at Kenny & Marilou’s house with Uncle Kenny, Uncle Timmie, Grandpaw Brown, Peggy, Rob, me, Great Grandma Mary Brown, and I think Debbie in September ’82; Rob & I’s cakes in October ’82; Great Grandpa Bob Morgan in his basement in January ’83; our house on Rockwood in LP in March ’83: Mom in her kitchen, me in her recliner and Rob & Grandpaw lounging on the old couch; Rob at Grandmaw & Grandpaw’s house for Easter in April ’83; Grandpaw & Grandmaw at a friend’s basement bar on New Year’s Eve in December ’83; Rob at home for Easter in April ’84; Grandpaw at a graduation party in June ’84; Rob and Mom with Grandpaw on his birthday in July ’84; Rob & I at Christmas in Lafayette in December ’84 then at home with Grandmaw Connie and Castle Greyskull on Christmas morning in ’84; Rob and I on vacation at Wet & Wild in Orlando in April ’86; Rob on Christmas morning in ’86; Paul & I in about ’91: in Brown County State Park, in his apartment in Franklin and with our good friends Tom & Tina Jobe also in Franklin.

Waybac.1940s.rlbfc1 Waybac.1953.10.ebf6 Waybac.1978.11.mtmf6 Waybac.1978.11.mtmf7 Waybac.1978.11.mtmf8 Waybac.1978.11.mtmf9 Waybac.1979.08.os1 Waybac.1979.09.gm1 Waybac.1979.09.ns1 Waybac.1979.10.28.gm2 Waybac.1979.10.28.gm3 Waybac.1979.10.28.gmb1 Waybac.1980.01.mar1 Waybac.1980.02.ggnr2 Waybac.1980.02.ggrn1 Waybac.1980.04.06.lrsc1 Waybac.1980.04.06.lrsc2 Waybac.1980.04.reb1 Waybac.1980.04.reb2 Waybac.1981.06.ssbb1 Waybac.1981.06.ssbb2 Waybac.1981.06.ssbb3 Waybac.1981.06.ssbb4 Waybac.1981.08.bfr10 Waybac.1981.08.tacb1 Waybac.1982.09.bff1 Waybac.1982.09.bff2 Waybac.1982.09.bff3 Waybac.1982.09.bff4 Waybac.1982.09.bff5 Waybac.1982.10.rtbc1 Waybac.1983.01.06.gmb2 Waybac.1983.01.06.gmb3 Waybac.1983.03.05.ggv1 Waybac.1983.03.05.ggv2 Waybac.1983.03.05.ggv3 Waybac.1983.04.03.eil8 Waybac.1983.12.31.ggbnye1 Waybac.1983.12.31.ggbnye2 Waybac.1984.04.22.eilp4 Waybac.1984.06.03.tdg1 Waybac.1984.07.29.gbb7 Waybac.1984.07.29.gbb8 Waybac.1984.12.cil1 Waybac.1984.12.cilp7 Waybac.1985.04.07.eilp1 Waybac.1985.04.09.eilp2 Waybac.1985.05.wsim1 Waybac.1986.04.dsb44 Waybac.1986.04.dsb45 Waybac.1986.04.dsb46 Waybac.1986.12.cilp16 Waybac.1991.patfc25 Waybac.1991.patfc26 Waybac.1991.patfc27 Waybac.1991.patfc28 Waybac.1991.patfc29 Waybac.1991.patfc30

I actually remembered to write down an entry for our Shit that Luke Says corner. After his field trip on Wednesday where he learned about puberty, Luke came home from football practice on Thursday and was getting ready for his shower when he looks at Ann & I and says, “I now have fuzzy balls…”  In fact, on Saturday night, when Ann was addressing the boys, they answered back that they were men. When Ann mistakenly questioned why they felt they were men, they both responded instantly, “We have fuzzy balls!”

Finally, we present our weekly video segment. We have two new family videos as well as several from around the internet this week.

Well that does it for this entry of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya Momma.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply