Goodbye to Friends, I Tell You…

As Ann says, “Burr, burr, burr…I wish I had fur!” We endured an unseasonably cold week that saw an end to our fall lifestyle and a hello to all things winter – snow, frost, scraping windshields, warming up vehicles, flat landscapes, leafless trees, coats & hats, and attending lots of basketball games. Hello and welcome to another installment of the Scheu Family Blog…let’s get to it –
Just like the past two weeks, Monday was the warmest day of the week and it got colder and colder as the week went along. Luke missed both basketball and football practice to go with us to a party for Alan and the rest of the Chinese exchange student participants and host families out at Mrs. Burkhart’s farm. They had a camp fire where they made s’mores and had hot dogs. They went on a hayride and lots of socializing of course. It was chilly out there but the time passed quickly. Ann and Abby dropped us off and headed off to jazz class later that night. While the boys got showered, I fell asleep on the couch. And Hannah was on the front page of the newspaper that night.

lft14.12 agb14.1 agb14.2 agb14.3 agb14.4 agb14.5 agb14.6 agb14.7 agb14.8 agb14.9 agb14.10 hip14.1 hip14.2 hip14.3 lap14.6 lap14.7 lap14.8 lap14.9 lap14.10

Tuesday was Veteran’s Day and it was much colder and…wet. It was a cold, miserable night at North Park as we practiced football – the kids were crying because their fingers were stinging, only half the team showed up and we had to cut it short due to darkness. Ann took Abby to Pirateers and then took Alan shopping (they enjoyed “smelling” the vegetables!) and came home and made spaghetti and meatballs for dinner. Later, Ann got all the kernels off the corn from the Meyer field that the boys got off the ground and popped it for a late snack – it was really good! And Metallica headlined a free show at the mall in Washington DC to honor our vets, called Concert for Valor. Abby brought home Matt’s yearbook and we got to see several new pictures of Matt…here are the ones of him as well as his junior year yearbook as well.

myb14.1 myb14.2 myb14.3 myb14.4 myb14.5 myb14.6 myb14.7 myb14.8 myb14.9 myb14.10 myb14.11 myb14.12 myb14.13 myb14.14 myb14.15 myb14.16 myb14.17 myb14.18 myb14.19 myb14.20 myb14.21 myb14.22

Wednesday was study club night at the Scheu Abode. It was also Soup Night, as has become the recent tradition this year. Abby had Britney over as well as a couple of her boy friends. Ann made a nice big bowl of chowder (pronounced chow-duh, LOL). The kids had a good time with a lot of laughing, but we’re not sure how much homework was accomplished. It was Alan’s last night with us and after he and Luke had dinner and a shower, he discovered he liked ice cream! We have a bunch of new social media pictures to share this week: Abby & friend; Chris & boys at Pacers game; Trish at work; Haley & kids; Bryan, Angie & kids with exchange students; Slicers win Regionals!!; Barney in Mexico on vaca; my buddy Mark in a throwback; Abby at dance with a hoodie booty; Zep, Rush & Metallica new music; it’s almost time for Ann’s favorite TV special; a spacecraft landed on a Comet this week!; Calvin & Hobbes panel; and GPN is still working in the studio for the next follow-up…

smp14.11.96 smp14.11.97 smp14.11.98 smp14.11.99 smp14.11.100 smp14.11.101 smp14.11.102 smp14.11.103 smp14.11.104 smp14.11.105 smp14.11.106 smp14.11.107 smp14.11.108 smp14.11.109 smp14.11.110 smp14.11.111 smp14.11.112 smp14.11.113 smp14.11.114 smp14.11.115 smp14.11.116 smp14.11.117 smp14.11.118 smp14.11.119 smp14.11.120 smp14.11.121 smp14.11.122 smp14.11.123 smp14.11.124 smp14.11.125 smp14.11.126 smp14.11.127 smp14.11.128 smp14.11.129

It was frigid on Thursday morning. It started off in the mid-20s and started snowing. We said goodbye to Alan on Thursday night. All the host families saw the Chinese travelers off as it continued to snow off and on all day and night. We picked up Bryan’s repaired truck and took the kids out to football practice. We had a few more boys drop off the team, leaving us with barely enough to even field a team this weekend. The boys were again miserable – many of them crying because their fingers or toes were numb. I have to admit that it was pretty cool to practice in the dark while snowing! Abby went to Kama’s after school and then went on to Pirateers practice. Afterwards Ann took her to Dixon for tap class and then came home and made cheesy popcorn for a late dinner.

agb14.11 agb14.12 agb14.13 agb14.14 agb14.15 agb14.16 agb14.17 agb14.18 agb14.19 agb14.20 agb14.21 agb14.22 agb14.23 agb14.24 agb14.25 agb14.26 agb14.27 agb14.28 agb14.29 agb14.30

A hard frost and minor snow accumulation overnight meant scraping the windshield for the first time on Friday morning before school and work. It was in the upper teens that morning. Ann enjoyed Beer & Boobies Day after work with Angie. Matt came home for the weekend and attended wrestling practice. Luke had football practice out in the cold, followed by a warm basketball practice at the junior high school. Ann had late-night scrapbooking at Mrs. B’s before heading to Cincinnati for a weekend of scrapping with Shawna. Abby danced at halftime of the girls’ varsity season opener (they won by 5) and Kama came home with us to spend the night. We all squeezed into the truck and went out to eat at El Chile Poblano, except for Matt who went home and went to bed. And the LaPorte Slicers beat Elkhart Central for the Regional championship and are now headed to the Final Four! Good luck, Slicers!

fsf14.1 fsf14.2 fsf14.3 fsf14.4 apfc14.1 apfc14.2 apfc14.3 apfc14.4 apfc14.5 apfc14.6 apfc14.7 apfc14.8 apfc14.9 apfc14.10 apfc14.11 apfc14.12 apfc14.13 apfc14.14 apfv14.15 apfc14.16 apfc14.17 apfc14.18 apfc14.19

We slept in on a cold Saturday morning before heading back out in to the weather (teens again!) for Luke’s first football game of the season-ending weekend tournament. We faced off against the All-Stars from the Nightmare league. They were a far superior team with big, fast guys that shut us down and ran through our defense at will. We did manage to make a few stops but could not manage more than one or two first downs and lost 0-22. Luke only ran the ball once and fumbled. He did make a about ten tackles on defense and had one kickoff that went about 30 yards. Other than that, the clock couldn’t run fast enough. Matt & Abby did not attend the game, but we didn’t blame them because it was really cold. Luke & I went to Taco Bell for lunch afterwards. We then met up with Matt and began moving furniture. We got rid of the Lazy Boy recliner from the living room and our old sleeper-couch from the family room. Unfortunately no one has taken them from our curb and now I’m not sure what I’m going to do with them. Mom & Gigi had to get rid of their current furniture to make room for their new stuff as they re-decorate their living room. We got everything moved in about an hour or so. Thankfully Matt was here otherwise Luke & I would’ve really struggled with everything. We then started our weekly household chores because we knew we wouldn’t have time on Sunday. We didn’t finish with laundry until almost 2 am. We ordered Pizza Hut (brand new to our area) and watched several movies on the big screen.

lft14.1 lft14.2 lft14.3 lft14.4 lft14.5 lft14.6 lft14.7 lft14.8 lft14.9 lft14.10 lft14.11 lft14.12 lft14.13 lft14.14 lft14.15 lft14.16 lft14.17 lft14.18 lft14.19 lft14.20 lft14.21 lft14.22 lft14.23 lft14.24 lft14.25 lft14.26

We overslept on Sunday. Actually I had gotten up early to let the dogs out and I had set an alarm on my phone but Luke snagged my phone to play on it when he got up and turned it off. The next thing I know, I’m waking up at 9:30 and Luke isn’t dressed. We had to be at the field at 9:30, so we were a bit late to the game. We played the final game of the year against South Dearborn. The kids were pretty fired up, thanks to Bryan who is a great motivator. It was again cold – in fact it was colder than yesterday. The boys seemed to understand the defense a little better today and they came to actually play. Their tackling was much better and they managed to block for few plays on offense. My defensive captain, Grayson (who also plays basketball with Luke), scored our only TD of the post season…but it was enough as the defense pitched a shutout and we won 6-0! Besides Grayson, Luke & Drew also rose to the occasion and had big games. As for Luke, he played fullback, receiver, guard and tackle on offense. He played kicker for our PAT and kickoffs. He was in an upback on the kickoff receiving team and then middle linebacker on defense. Offensively, he ran the ball 10 times for about 35 yards. He had 2 receptions but one was called back due to too many in the backfield (one of the receivers was a little too far off the line – a really tough call since Luke went for 30 yards, inside the 10). He missed the PAT badly (the ball was like a brick due to the cold). But it was defense where he made his biggest impact. He had an interception (nearly two!), forced a fumble and had approximately 15 tackles. It was a great way to end a long football season. We didn’t have much time to celebrate with the team and had to hurry home to allow Luke to shower, pick up Matt and rush off to basketball in Liberty at Union County High School. We again left Abby & Kama at the house, where Kama had spent a couple nights with Bu. Luke and the Pirates had a new schedule because one of the teams dropped out of the league. So today they faced New Castle (#1 team in the league) in the first game. Luke did not play at all and the starters played the whole game (well 99% of it). We hung with them until about three minutes left when they started to pull away and we lost badly (27-44)…but the kids didn’t stay down for long. After an hour layoff, they got warmed up and faced Northeastern. Our defense was so intense that they did not even attempt a shot in the 1st half. Luke played about six minutes in the first half and nearly the entire second half. We won 38-12. Luke made one basket, going 1-4 from the field. He also had 4 blocks and about 10 rebounds…and two tackles/fouls. He still has improvements to make but he needs playing time for that to occur. Matt drove us to and from the event. By the time we headed back to Greensburg, it was starting to get dark and was snowing pretty hard. It had snowed earlier today during football, but this was much heavier. We ended up getting behind a bunch of slow traffic and two snow plows and had a long drive. We picked up Taco Bell and came home. Ann had just gotten home herself from Cincy. Matt ate dinner with us and watched a little football before having to head back up to campus in Indy. He let us know he had made it safely because it had really started coming down. We were expected to get 3-5 inches of snow overnight, so who knows what we’ll wake up to tomorrow. We watched the Colts get hammered on Sunday Night Football by the damned Patriots again and napped on and off on our new living room furniture, finally relaxing after a very long week of activities…

lbne14.1 lbne14.2 lbne14.3 lbne14.4 lbne14.5 lbne14.6 lbne14.7 lbne14.8 lbne14.9 lbne14.10 lbne14.11 lbne14.12 lbne14.13 lbne14.14 lbne14.15 lbne14.16 lbne14.17 lbne14.18 lbne14.19 lbne14.20 lbne14.21 lbne14.22 lbne14.23 lbne14.24 lbne14.25 lbne14.26 lbne14.27 lbne14.28 lbne14.29 lbne14.30

Now let’s step back in to the Waybac section where we find five more pictures of my sweet mother. We lead off in the summer of ’79 for our end-of-season pizza party with my friend Greg Steen and our First National Bank (?) team after winning only one game the whole year in the Rosemead Youth Association baseball league; then Rob’s baptism in December ’79 with Mom, Ed & Charlotte (his god parents) in Temple City, CA; Mom’s “weed” that turned out to be a mistletoe tree in late ’79; Great Grandpa Morgan’s birthday party at Norma & Ralph’s house in January 1980; Rob, Nathan & I in Kokomo for the Bryan Family Christmas in Jan ’80 as well Grandmaw & Grandpaw Brown in their house the same day; then a couple months later in May we find Zeke on the hunt in our side yard in LaPorte on Kenwood St; Schnapps in the backyard in on Elmwood St in June ’80; Dad B’s childhood home next door neighbors in Lafayette (I think?) in August ’81; Great Grandma Brown in Rossville in the summer of ’81; Brown family fish fry in Rossville in August ’86 with Grandmaw & Grandpaw Brown, Uncle Kenny & Aunt Dorothy, Tammie & Brett, Uncle Timmie & Aunt Dorothy & Dad & Rob; Rob at Christmas in ’86; Grandmaw Brown’s funeral in September ’88; my college graduation party at our home on Rockwood in June ’91 with Mom, Dad, Rob & I, Grandpaw Brown, Doc & Bev, Timmie & Dorothy, Uncle Dan, Aunt Sharon, Nathan & Katie and Vird, Belinda & Deena Marie; Matt YMCA basketball in December ’02; and Christmas 2005 with Rob, Ann, Matt & I.

Waybac.1979.08.tbeoyp1 Waybac.1979.12.16.rb1 Waybac.1979.12.16.rb2 Waybac.1979.12.16.rb3 Waybac.1979.12.mmw1 Waybac.1979.12.mmw2 Waybac.1980.01.06.ggmb11 Waybac.1980.01.bfck10 Waybac.1980.01.bfck12 Waybac.1980.01.gmgpb3 Waybac.1980.05.zok Waybac.1980.06.soe1 Waybac.1981.08.bndn1 Waybac.1981.08.ggb1 Waybac.1981.08.ggb2 Waybac.1986.08.bff1 Waybac.1986.08.bff2 Waybac.1986.08.bff3 Waybac.1986.08.bff4 Waybac.1986.08.bff5 Waybac.1986.08.bff6 Waybac.1986.08.bff7 Waybac.1986.12.cilp17 Waybac.1988.09.cjmbf13 Waybac.1988.09.cjmbf14 Waybac.1988.09.cjmbf15 Waybac.1991.06.tcg5 Waybac.1991.06.tcg6 Waybac.1991.06.tcg7 Waybac.1991.06.tcg8 Waybac.1991.06.tcg9 Waybac.1991.06.tcg10 Waybac.2002.12.mby3 Waybac.2005.12.cig5 Waybac.2005.12.cig6 Waybac.2005.12.cig7

Next up is our video section, which contains five new family movies and several videos from around the internet this week.

And that does it for this week’s installment of the Scheu Family Blog. As always, thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply