Winds of Ice that Soon will Spread

We had tons of precipitation this week. Between the snow and the rain, I’d say we had at least six inches total. Luke enjoyed an off-week where he had no ball games and even had a couple days off from practice. Matt had finals week and came home for the holidays. Abby was the busy bee, as usual. She and the Pirateers danced at three high school games. Ann found some relief from her knee pain late in the week. And it was too cold for me to walk like I normally do; I’m going to have to start going the YMCA at night, I guess. The temps dipped to their lowest of the season, sending us in to a deep freeze this week, playing havoc with Tonya a few times. Hello again and welcome back to the Scheu Family Blog.
It was yet another cold start to the week on Monday as we headed back to work and school. We were right around the freezing mark. I noticed how bleak things looked today. It was overcast with various shades of gray in the sky and the landscape was stark with varying colors of browns, grays and a few greens. I think I may have seasonal affective disorder! I walked over three miles after work. It was pretty cool but once I got going, I felt really good. Luke had basketball after school. Abby had Pirateers after school then took her co-captain Mary out to eat. Ann & I enjoyed a rare night off. I put Betty White on the charger overnight in preparation for Jamie & Dee to use as they try and finish up their move. Here are some random pictures from this week’s adventures.

apbjc16.16 sis16.12.44 sis16.12.45 sis16.12.46 sis16.12.47 sis16.12.48 sis16.12.49 sis16.12.50 sis16.12.51 sis16.12.52 sis16.12.53 sis16.12.54 sis16.12.55 sis16.12.56 sis16.12.57 sis16.12.58 sis16.12.59 sis16.12.61 sis16.12.62 sis16.12.63 sis16.12.64 sis16.12.65 sis16.12.66 sis16.12.68 sis16.12.69 sis16.12.70 sis16.12.71 sis16.12.72 sis16.12.73 sis16.12.74 sis16.12.75 sis16.12.76 sis16.12.77 sis16.12.78 sis16.12.79 sis16.12.80 sis16.12.81 sis16.12.82 sis16.12.83 sis16.12.84 sis16.12.85 sis16.12.86 sis16.12.87

Tuesday was just one of those cold days that never got above freezing. It snowed all day, dropping about three inches on us. Ann worked in town but I had a slow commute in to work on the slick roads. I saw a 2-car accident and a pair of slide-offs on the back roads. I slid a few times myself during braking but managed to keep Barney straight. The guys razzed me at work for going out and shoveling / salting the walks at work in my shorts and sweatshirt. I told them being fat and hairy had its advantages! I walked another three miles after work in the cold, snow and wind. Luke enjoyed a rare night off from sports but did have a doctor appointment with Fangman in Columbus. That little turkey is almost 5’ 7” and 135 lbs. He is all muscle. Abby had Student Council before school then Pirateers performance at the girls’ basketball game that night vs. Oldenburg Academy. I thought they looked good but Abby & Mary were upset with the overall team performance. Dee & Jamie borrowed Betty White but she died on her first run and wouldn’t re-start. They were sitting at a light downtown when it sputtered and died. So it wasn’t long before I was getting a call. Despite the fact that I charged it overnight, the battery wasn’t holding the charge. I accidentally over-charged it and now it is trash. Normally the portable charger would’ve got it going right away, but I forgot to charge it of course, so they pushed it out of the way and did without it. They eventually got it jumped and just brought it back home. I felt so bad for them – not only were they stuck having to move on such a cold, snowy day – but now their main mode of transporting was malfunctioning. When it rains, it pours. I’ll have to take it out and run it up to Auto Zone and get it replaced.

apoa16.1 apoa16.2 apoa16.3 apoa16.4 apoa16.5 apoa16.6 apoa16.7 apoa16.8 apoa16.9 apoa16.10 apoa16.11 apoa16.12 apoa16.13

We woke up to a very cold Wednesday morning – right at 0. The cars were frozen shut in the deep freeze. In fact, Abby’s doors wouldn’t function and I didn’t have any of my homemade deicer… so she grudgingly took Barney for the day. Ann worked at the Greensburg office again. I managed to walk about a mile and a half after work until my face hurt too much and I had to head in. Luke again had no basketball practice. Abby worked at the dance studio after school. Ann made a big pot of her delicious potato soup. It warmed us right up on that bitterly cold night. After dinner, the girls went to jazz class at Dixon. We have lots of social media pictures to share this week: Abby solo and with friends; Barn & boys; Gigi with Santa during last weekend’s parade; John & June’s grandkids; Chris at the Fieldhouse; Aunt Sharon; Ann with the boys at last weekend’s party; Cathy & Tom; Gma’s got her stockings hung; Rick & Lynn in HI; downtown Indy; Aunt Sharon w/ Nate & Steph’s kiddos; more C&T; Haley’s young fam; Kimmy w/ the bday boy; Molly & Lola; Kuyhlia performing at the Colts game; some memes; Luke from last week; Cowboys stuff; more memes; some Hot Wheels stuff; Bu performing carols via Coke bottles; Emily’s little cutie; the new Star Wars movie premiered this weekend; Katie with friend; and Wendy & fam.

smp16.12.133a smp16.12.134a smp16.12.135a smp16.12.136a smp16.12.137 smp16.12.138 smp16.12.139 smp16.12.140 smp16.12.141 smp16.12.142 smp16.12.143 smp16.12.144 smp16.12.145 smp16.12.146 smp16.12.147 smp16.12.148 smp16.12.149 smp16.12.150 smp16.12.151 smp16.12.152 smp16.12.153 smp16.12.154 smp16.12.155 smp16.12.156 smp16.12.157 smp16.12.158 smp16.12.159 smp16.12.160 smp16.12.161 smp16.12.162 smp16.12.163 smp16.12.164 smp16.12.165 smp16.12.166 smp16.12.167 smp16.12.168 smp16.12.169 smp16.12.170 smp16.12.171 smp16.12.172 smp16.12.173 smp16.12.174 smp16.12.175 smp16.12.176 smp16.12.177 smp16.12.178 smp16.12.179 smp16.12.180 smp16.12.181 smp16.12.182 smp16.12.183 smp16.12.184 smp16.12.185 smp16.12.186 sis16.12.67

Thursday was yet another bitterly cold day, starting at zero and never getting out of the teens. The snow was still around at that point but the pavement was clear. I had my office Christmas party that day. Big thanks to Ms. Ann, who took time out of her day to made her amazing spinach & artichoke dip, which was an instant hit again. Luke got back to basketball practice after school then attended the B-team game that evening. Bu & Ann went to Dixon again that night – this time for tap class. Matt made it back safely from U Indy after finishing his finals. He will be with us for the next month and plans to work as much as possible. He ended up going to wrestling practice at the high school. This time he did NOT climb ropes! We got Luke picked up and then he came with me out to Bryan’s house to watch football on the big screen. It was a pitiful game but we spent a lot of time laughing and catching up. I gave him his Christmas present – a bottle of rum called Mount Gay that I picked up as a White Elephant present the other night. We laughed and laughed and enjoyed some rum. Thanks to Matt for driving home that night.
Friday was another very cold day. Luke had basketball after school then went to a friend’s house to spend the night. Abby had a Pirateers practice then another performance at the girls’ basketball game vs. Batesville. Ann helped coach the team with another dance mom since their coach was sick. I worked a half day and then went to a great Christmas party where we had steaks bigger than my head (pictures doesn’t do it justice – those are 16”!), a ton of fried fish, all the sides, deer sausage, cheese & crackers, etc, etc. I was so full. I also enjoyed some of “Dan’s Holiday Cheer” (which is a homemade, warm apple cider with rum and lots of other stuff) and a few beers while playing poker with the guys. Matt worked at the old folks home then met us at the basketball game to watch Bu dance. He was obnoxious, shouting at Abby at the top of his lungs. We laughed that the four of us ended up driving four vehicles to the game. We left at halftime and met at BWR for dinner where we sat in Randall’s section. After some brief drama at work that I handled over the phone, we came home and all of us fell asleep early.

apgbbb16.1 apgbbb16.2 apgbbb16.3 apgbbb16.4 apgbbb16.5 apgbbb16.6 apgbbb16.7 apgbbb16.8 apgbbb16.9 apgbbb16.10 apgbbb16.11 apgbbb16.12 apgbbb16.13 apgbbb16.14 apgbbb16.15 apgbbb16.16 apgbbb16.17

We were up early on Saturday as Ann drove Luke & Abs over to Columbus for haircuts with Jami. It was a much warmer day – we had some sleet and freezing rain overnight, but once that front moved through, it really warmed up. In fact, it turned to rain and it came down in buckets all day, dumping about three inches on us. It was creepily foggy all day as well. Matt got up early and got Molly out of the neighbor’s yard again so I had to go fix the fence in the rain once it got light out. It was weird – it looked like the repair I made previously had been purposely cut so not sure what’s up with that… I nodded on and off all day while watching a Falling Water marathon on our DVR. I really like that show. It was another gloomy day. Matt went to work then again met us at the high school for the halftime routine of the basketball game where the boys were played Jennings County. Randall met us at the house and rode with us to the high school. Abby and the Pirateers had a cool Christmas routine that she choreographed and I did the music for. We had some “thunder snow” as Abby called it. It was so weird to hear thunder during a snow storm…. We ordered Papa John’s pizza after the game and Ann made frozen Patron margaritas – both strawberry and lime. They were so good but very strong and after just a few, we settled in to watch a couple Christmas movies and fell asleep on the couches.

apbjc16.1 apbjc16.2 apbjc16.3 apbjc16.4 apbjc16.5 apbjc16.6 apbjc16.7 apbjc16.8 apbjc16.9 apbjc16.10 apbjc16.11 apbjc16.12 apbjc16.13 apbjc16.14 apbjc16.15 apbjc16.16

We finally got to sleep in on Sunday morning. All that rain yesterday and last night ended up freezing again during the overnight hours and it made everything slick and with a quarter inch of ice. We had to thaw the vehicles so that we could run our errands. I picked up some supplies for Ann to make biscuits and gravy with eggs on top for breakfast. It really hit the spot! After eating, Randall went home and I took the boys over to Columbus to visit the Verizon store. Matt picked up his last Christmas gift by upgrading his phone to the new iPhone. He got a good package deal with his phone, a case & headphones all included. We ended up upgrading to their new service plan as well in order to save us some cash. Meanwhile the girls went out and finished up their Christmas shopping. We came home in plenty of time to watch football and get going with our weekly household chores. It snowed for most of the day, but it mostly flurries and we didn’t have much accumulation. Abby went in late to Wings & Rings to work that evening. Mom & Gigi (who finally closed on the sale of the Main St home earlier in the week) stopped by for a little while that evening. We talked and laughed for a while. Ann made cheesy popcorn for dinner and the Cowboys played in prime time again that night. And finally, we sadly had a few recent celebrity deaths this week: actor Alan Thicke, sports announcer Craig Sager and actress Zsa Zsa Gabor.
Next up is our Waybac section which continues to feature our 2nd six photo albums of our young family, highlighting our time in the Main St home. We lead off this week in the Main St home in December, 1998 for Christmas activities; then we fast forward to January, 1999 for Matt celebrating Ann’s birthday inside and outside of the Main St home; then we head south to the Sand Pebble on Week 19 for some fun in the FLA sun in May 1999; next we see Matt playing in June, 1999 – inside the Main St home with his Hot Wheels and outside at the high school for YMCA t-ball; next we go back to the Main St home for Ann’s bday in January, 2000; Matt riding his new bicycle at the high school in April, 2000; Abby saying hi on Main St in May, 2000; then Bu on Main St in June, 2000 and Matt playing t-ball at the new YMCA in June, 2000; Matt up at Mom & Dad B’s house-on-the-hill in Rossville in July, 2000; then more Main St fun in December, 2000 – Matt & Bu in the bath, Bu in the dining room & Mike, Laura & Pace visiting; up to Lafayette for the annual Scheu family Christmas in John & June’s Lingle Ave home in December, 2000; and we end with Matt’s birthday party at Chuck E Cheese in Columbus in March, 2001.

Waybac.1998.12.ctoms1 Waybac.1998.12.ctoms2 Waybac.1998.12.ctoms3 Waybac.1998.12.ctoms4 Waybac.1999.01.abd1 Waybac.1999.01.abd2 Waybac.1999.01.abd3 Waybac.1999.01.abd4 Waybac.1999.05.wnf01 Waybac.1999.05.wnf02 Waybac.1999.05.wnf03 Waybac.1999.05.wnf04 Waybac.1999.06.soms1 Waybac.1999.06.soms2 Waybac.1999.06.soms3 Waybac.1999.06.soms4 Waybac.2000.01.abd05 Waybac.2000.01.abd06 Waybac.2000.01.abd07 Waybac.2000.01.abd08 Waybac.2000.04.mrnb1 Waybac.2000.04.mrnb2 Waybac.2000.04.mrnb3 Waybac.2000.04.mrnb4 Waybac.2000.05.aftb1 Waybac.2000.06.altw1 Waybac.2000.06.altw2 Waybac.2000.06.mytb00 Waybac.2000.06.mytb01 Waybac.2000.06.mytb02 Waybac.2000.06.mytb03 Waybac.2000.06.mytb04 Waybac.2000.07.gmgph1 Waybac.2000.07.gmgph2 Waybac.2000.07.gmgph3 Waybac.2000.07.gmgph4 Waybac.2000.12.btoms1 Waybac.2000.12.btoms2 Waybac.2000.12.btoms3 Waybac.2000.12.mlpc1 Waybac.2000.12.sfc06 Waybac.2000.12.sfc07 Waybac.2000.12.sfc08 Waybac.2000.12.sfc09 Waybac.2001.03.mccb1 Waybac.2001.03.mccb2 Waybac.2001.03.mccb3 Waybac.2001.03.mccb4

Next up is our video section which features a pair of new family movies this week as well as several from around the internet.

And that does it for this week’s episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply