…Its Beginning to Look a lot like Christmas

Sorry for the continual re-post of the previous blog entry. I had to get that picture of the cow and the tree off of there! So let’s try this one more time…

Another week has zoomed by us as we race to the conclusion of 2017. It’s hard to believe that December is upon us already. Where has the year gone? Mom always said that the years go faster and faster as you age, but I didn’t think it would be so fast already. Christmas music permeated my office all week as I took in about 20 CDs to play. We were busy all week, between Luke playing three basketball games, Abby working and dancing, Ann continuing to Christmas shop and me getting in nearly 20 miles of walking! It was a beautiful week for it, that’s for sure! We were saddened to hear that Dad & Lynn had to put Charlie down this week…we’ll sure miss that little guy. Memaw had more trouble with her leg this week and has been relegated to sitting on the couch with it propped up…which doesn’t really make her happy – she’s not much of a sitter, you see… But we were thrilled to see the return of Ms. Phyllis to the basketball gym this week! Hello again and welcome back to the Scheu Family Blog.
It was back to work and school on Monday morning. It was a cool start, but it warmed nicely to the mid-60s. Ann had a sick headache all day. Both of us had busy days as it was the first day back from a long weekend. I walked a 5K after work, which felt good. I had been so bad with eating and no exercising the last five days. Luke had basketball practice after school. Abby had Pirateers practice then left to go work at Dixon Dance Studio and then stuck around to attend her own class with Ms. Kuyhlia. I spent a couple hours getting Mom & Sandy’s hard drive from their old desktop to finally boot up and allowed me to transfer pictures off it. It was quite the little challenge as the disk has an obvious error on it that caused it to not boot properly. I eventually pulled about 30 GB of pictures and videos off it…Gigi, you really need to back-up your files, man!! As promised last week, here are pictures of us putting up the tree this year.

xt17.00 xt17.03 xt17.04 xt17.05 xt17.06 xt17.07 xt17.08 xt17.09 xt17.10 xt17.11 xt17.12 xt17.13 xt17.14 xt17.15 xt17.16 xt17.17 xt17.18 xt17.19 xt17.20 xt17.21 xt17.22 xt17.23 xt17.24 xt17.02 xt17.25 xt17.26 xt17.27 xt17.28 xt17.29 xt17.30 xt17.31 xt17.32 xt17.33 xt17.34 xt17.35 xt17.36 xt17.37 xt17.38 xt17.39 xt17.40 xt17.41

Tuesday had another cool start but again it warmed nicely to upper 60s! I’ll take that any day, but especially at the end of November. Ann’s headache was a little better, but her knees didn’t let her have any relief. I managed to get in only 2.5 miles of walking after work before we left early for Luke’s basketball game vs South Dearborn. Abby worked at Wings & Rings after school and was unable to attend. Luke didn’t start that evening again but came off the bench to play Center and ended up staying in and playing most of the game once he got in. The boys were down 4 when he entered the game. Once he came in, they quickly took the lead and never looked back. But boy, all hell broke loose that night when he was on the bench. 4 technical fouls were called. First a parent was asked to leave and then the head coach was ejected. I sat on the visitor side to tape due to the home side being so packed. I will tell you that their parents were profane, rude and obnoxious the entire game. You can hear it on the game film below. I ended up having to mute the video for the players because it was so inappropriate. Things eventually settled down, but I doubt we will see that referee back in Greensburg this year. Things finally settled down a bit and we ended up blowing them out of the water in the 2nd half, winning big, 59-30. Luke’s stats: 4 points on 2-2 shooting from the floor. But as usual, it was on the defensive side where he made his mark, tallying 5 rebounds and 4 tip-outs as well as 3 steals and 2 blocks while earning 3 fouls. We came home and watched Purdue beat #19 Louisville in the Big Ten / ACC Challenge. I think it may have been the only victory for the Big Ten this year?

lbsd17.01 lbsd17.02 lbsd17.03 lbsd17.04 lbsd17.05 lbsd17.06 lbsd17.07 lbsd17.08 lbsd17.09 lbsd17.10 lbsd17.11 lbsd17.12 lbsd17.13 lbsd17.14 lbsd17.15 lbsd17.16 lbsd17.17 lbsd17.18 lbsd17.19 lbsd17.20 lbsd17.21 lbsd17.22 lbsd17.23 lbsd17.24 lbsd17.25 lbsd17.26 lbsd17.27 lbsd17.28 lbsd17.29 lbsd17.30 lbsd17.31 lbsd17.32 lbsd17.33 lbsd17.34 lbsd17.35 lbsd17.36 lbsd17.37 lbsd17.38 lbsd17.39 lbsd17.40 lbsd17.41 lbsd17.42 lbsd17.43 lbsd17.44 lbsd17.45 lbsd17.46 lbsd17.47

Wednesday had a warmer start but a cooler afternoon in the 50s. Luke had basketball practice after school then went out with his buddies in the neighborhood until well after dark. Abby had dance classes at Dixon after school (tap & jazz). Ann called and said she’d be done early so I quickly walked a mile and then we left Columbus early to run by Mom & Sandy’s house. We wanted to get there at a decent time to not keep Mom up too late. We finally got her Thanksgiving dishes back to her, delivered samples from her stomach doctor (we ran by his office earlier for her while we were still in Columbus) and to check-in on Mom, who has been recovering from a leg injury for about a week now. She looked good and was in great spirits – especially once I showed her how to get on Hudl to watch Luke’s basketball and football games over the last two years. Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis17.12.01 sis17.12.02 sis17.12.03 sis17.12.04 sis17.12.05 sis17.12.06 sis17.12.07 sis17.12.08 sis17.12.09 sis17.12.10 sis1712.11 sis17.12.12 sis17.12.13 sis17.12.14 sis17.12.15 sis17.12.16 sis17.12.17 sis17.12.18 sis17.12.19 sis17.12.20 sis17.12.21 sis17.12.22 sis17.12.23 sis17.12.24 sis17.12.25 sis17.12.26 sis17.12.27 sis17.12.28 sis17.12.29 sis17.12.30 sis17.12.31

Thursday was much warmer but also wet. It rained for much of the morning but dried up in the afternoon. Ann had a meeting downtown in a neat, old building. I walked 3+ miles then we left for Luke’s basketball game vs. Sunman-Dearborn (East Central). It was our 2nd of 3 home ball games this week. Abby had Pirateers practice after school. East Central has always given us a good game through the years, but we’ve beaten them the last three times that we’ve played them. It sure was good to see Ms. Phyllis back at the game with Dick that night. She looked great. The boys on the other hand…not so much. The coach benched two starters for missing practice last night, even though at least one had a doctor’s note – but everyone knows it’s a team rule. Because of this, he had to move the boys around. They played new positions and had new roles in plays that they hadn’t practiced…and it showed. We looked out of sync and many boys were out of position as we had over a dozen turnovers in the first half alone. Still, once we got going a little, the boys were able to put things together and we had a lead at the end of the 1st quarter, thanks to a long 3 by Collen at the horn. Luke came out of the game a few seconds into the 2nd quarter and we lost the lead. He played a bit in the 3rd but was again pulled out early and didn’t return until late in the 4th quarter. By that time, we were down by 20 and the game was basically over. We made a run at the end, but it was too little / too late, and we suffered our 2nd loss of the year, 36-52. Again; I’m not saying Luke is the reason we win – he’s not; but he does so many of the little things that don’t show up on stat sheets that make his teammates play better. Luke played forward more than center in this game and struggled because of it. Coach had several mismatches on the floor but never adjusted to correct the issues. I wonder if he would be willing to have Kurt to come in and run some drills with the boys. I know that has helped the team over the past four years as he has some interesting insights into the game. Luke’s stats for tonight: He had no points on 0-2 shooting from the floor and 0-2 from the free throw line. He also had a turnover. Defensively, he had 8 boards with a pair of tip-outs. He also had a steal and a block to go along with 3 fouls. I took Ann & Luke home and went to Bryan’s house to watch the Cowboys / Redskins game on Thursday Night Football at the Sunken Boat Bar. It was good to catch up with him and enjoy a couple cold brews that he had on tap. It was fun to vent my frustrations from the game and cheer on the Cowboys. Now that football’s over, I haven’t seen much of him. Sounds like they are as busy as we are these days. He & Angie both looked great and Dallas blew-out Washington to put a perfect cap on the night. I came home and uploaded the video to Hudl but while I was on the computer, I heard the sad news that Indiana native, Jim Nabors (famous for his acting career – Andy Griffith Show and Gomer Pyle, USMC – and his singing career – he was the voice of Back Home Again in Indiana at the Indy 500 for over 25 years) had passed away.

lbec17.01 lbec17.02 lbec17.03 lbec17.04 lbec17.05 lbec17.06 lbec17.07 lbec17.08 lbec17.09 lbec17.10 lbec17.11 lbec17.12 lbec17.13 lbec17.14 lbec17.15 lbec17.16 lbec17.17 lbec17.18 lbec17.19 lbec17.20 lbec17.21 lbec17.22 lbec17.23 lbec17.24 lbec17.25 lbec17.26 lbec17.27 lbec17.28 lbec17.29 lbec17.30 lbec17.31 lbec17.32 lbec17.33 lbec17.34 lbec17.35 lbec17.36 lbec17.37 lbec17.38

Friday morning came way too early. Abby was sick and missed school. Luke had basketball practice then had his teammate, Luke H (Phyllis’ grandson) over to spend the night. Ann & I did some Christmas shopping and went to lunch. She went home and did some more shopping while I went back to work and didn’t get done until after dark. It was a gorgeous night, so I decided to catch up on my walking stats for the week by trying to walk a 10K…which I did! It took me right at two hours, so I didn’t get home until almost 9 that night. I honestly think I could’ve easily walked twice as far – which would be a mini marathon. I felt great; my legs weren’t tired, I wasn’t out of breath and the only thing that made me stop was the cold…it took me about 45 seconds to get my nads out of my lower abdomen – I swear! It had dropped to 27° when I finally made it back to the van and headed back to the ‘Burg. Meanwhile, Ann took the boys out to Pizza King for dinner, so I was able to have some cold pizza for dinner when I finally got back. Abby ended up feeling better as the day went on and she went in to work at Buffalo Wings & Rings that evening. As anticipated, Matt stayed up at school this weekend to focus on his studies and work at the moving company. We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp17.12.01 smp17.12.02 smp17.12.03 smp17.12.04 smp17.12.05 smp17.12.06 smp17.12.07 smp17.12.08 smp17.12.09 smp17.12.10 smp17.12.11 smp17.12.12 smp17.12.13 smp17.12.14 smp17.12.15 smp17.12.16 smp17.12.17 smp17.12.18 smp17.12.19 smp17.12.20 smp17.12.21 smp17.12.22 smp17.12.23 smp17.12.24 smp17.12.25 smp17.12.26 smp17.12.27 smp17.12.28 smp17.12.29 smp17.12.30 smp17.12.31 smp17.12.32 smp17.12.33 smp17.12.34 smp17.12.35 smp17.12.36 smp17.12.37 smp17.12.38 smp17.12.39 smp17.12.40 smp17.12.41 smp17.12.42

I was the first one up on Saturday morning, as I got a jump on running errands around town. I got my new glasses – the first pair in probably five years. Wow – what a difference! I told Ann that when I put them on, I felt like I was somehow taller. It gave me a different perspective or something. Abby went to work at BWR again. Luke had his third basketball game vs South Ripley that morning. Although Luke started, we were missing one of our starting forwards, who had a family emergency out of town. Best wishes for him and his family. Luke played most of the 1st half but sat most of the 2nd half. He did re-enter the game late in the 4th quarter and played till the end. We opened up a lead quickly and never looked back, going up by 20 and eventually got it up to 30 and won easily, 53-25. Their record now stands at 5-2 on the year. Luke’s stats for this game: no points again on 0-2 shooting with a pair of turnovers. On the defense, he had 9 rebounds, 2 blocks and forced 3 turnovers. He also had 4 fouls. We ran Luke out to lunch at Wings & Rings so we could see Abby too. When we got home, Ann & I took naps while I uploaded video to Hudl so Memaw could watch it. She was hoping to make it to the game today, but her leg is still too vulnerable, and she needs to just take it easy for a while. Meanwhile, Luke went out with friends in the neighborhood until late. When Bu got off work, she and Ann went out shopping until late. That left me with a nice, quiet evening for me to do bills, watch a ton of MMA and last night’s Purdue conference opener and turn up the radio as loud as I wanted…and no one complained!

lbsr17.01 lbsr17.02 lbsr17.03 lbsr17.04 lbsr17.05 lbsr17.06 lbsr17.07 lbsr17.08 lbsr17.09 lbsr17.10 lbsr17.11 lbsr17.12 lbsr17.13 lbsr17.14 lbsr17.15 lbsr17.16 lbsr17.17 lbsr17.18 lbsr17.19 lbsr17.20 lbsr17.21 lbsr17.22 lbsr17.23 lbsr17.24 lbsr17.25 lbsr17.26 lbsr17.27 lbsr17.28 lbsr17.29 lbsr17.30 lbsr17.31 lbsr17.32 lbsr17.33 lbsr17.34 lbsr17.35 lbsr17.36 lbsr17.37 lbsr17.38 lbsr17.39 lbsr17.40

We enjoyed sleeping in on Sunday morning. We eventually got up and did our weekly household chores. Abs had to go in to work again at BWR. Luke did a few things around the house then worked on his fort all day in the woods. With the kids out running around, we had a quiet afternoon of football (Colts lost again but NFL RedZone was exciting), Christmas music and naps. The house looks really nice with all the Christmas stuff up. We didn’t even turn on a light until late in the evening and just enjoyed the ambient light from the trees. We saw Purdue beat Northwestern in a barnburner on the 50th anniversary of Mackey Arena. We watched a little bit of the Sunday night game before switching over to watch The Walking Dead & then Talking Dead before turning in and calling it a week. It’s hard to believe, but I’ve only got 14 ½ work days left in 2017…and there’s only 21 shopping days left to get something nice for your favorite blogger… 😊
Next up is our Waybac section, which features more of our next three photo albums of our young family from the start of the century. We have one final picture from Mom & Sandy’s stash of old pictures that we culled during their move from the Main St home. We lead off with that picture, which I believe is one of her co-workers at WTRE from the mid-eighties at a go-kart track; then we fast-forward to 2001 for the annual 4th of July parade downtown; then we move to Abby’s 2nd bday party in September 2001; next is Matt & Bu swinging out back – my how that view has changed! – in late September 2001; then we go to Gma & Gigi’s house for Christmas Eve and then we see pix from the weekend before at the Scheu Family Christmas at the Parkside Deli, up on Lafayette – all in December 2001; then we head out to Parkside Lanes for Matt’s 6th bday party in March 2002; next we head down to Treasure Island and head out on the Gulf for the pirate ship sunset cruise, which was fun – in May 2002; next we come back to the house for the 4th of July party we used to hold each year, in July 2002; then we move forward to Abby’s 3rd bday party in September 2002; and then we end at one of Matt’s soccer games in late September or early October 2002;

Waybac.1980s.scf Waybac.2001.07.fojp22 Waybac.2001.07.fojp23 Waybac.2001.07.fojp24 Waybac.2001.07.fojp25 Waybac.2001.09.abdprd29 Waybac.2001.09.abdprd30 Waybac.2001.09.abdprd31 Waybac.2001.09.abdprd32 Waybac.2001.09.mabyss01 Waybac.2001.09.mabyss02 Waybac.2001.09.mabyss03 Waybac.2001.09.mabyss04 Waybac.2001.12.ceoms01 Waybac.2001.12.ceoms02 Waybac.2001.12.sfcapsd38 Waybac.2001.12.sfcapsd39 Waybac.2002.03.mbdpapsl40 Waybac.2002.03.mbdpapsl39 Waybac.2002.03.mbdpapsl41 Waybac.2002.03.mbdpapsl42 Waybac.2002.05.psssc07 Waybac.2002.05.psssc08 Waybac.2002.05.psssc09 Waybac.2002.05.psssc10 Waybac.2002.07.fojprd22 Waybac.2002.07.fojprd23 Waybac.2002.07.fojprd24 Waybac.2002.07.fojprd25 Waybac.2002.09.abdprd19 Waybac.2002.09.abdprd20 Waybac.2002.09.abdprd21 Waybac.2002.09.abdprd22 Waybac.2002.09.mswf17 Waybac.2002.09.mswf18 Waybac.2002.09.mswf19 Waybac.2002.09.mswf20

We wrap up this week’s entry with our video section which features nine new home movies as well as several from around the internet.

And that does it for this week’s entry into the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss you, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply