No Rebellion; not Today…I get My Kicks in My Own Way

I’m not sure if you’d call it an Indian Summer, but the temps quickly returned to the 90s again this week. Along with the heat, the humidity also decided to pay us a visit as well, chasing back inside and turning the air back on. Luke played in two football games this week, finally getting some playing time on the JV offense, kicking again for the JV special teams and even earned varsity playing time on special teams! He wrapped up his first 9 weeks and it looks like he got straight B’s on his mid-terms. Abby had a good week of school as well and we got to see her three times this week. Matthew got his windshield repaired again and had a full week of teaching elementary school in Zionsville. Ann had another week of headaches and knee pain but enjoyed spending time with her girlfriends. I had a fast week at work, spent some quality time with my buddies and walked about 19 miles. And although I didn’t gain any weight this week, I didn’t lose any either. I have to get back to my diet this next week after too many cheat meals in recent days… Hello again and welcome to the latest installment of the Scheu Family Blog.

We had an early start to our week on Monday so Ann could get to the Tech Center to help orient her new girl at work. I got in a few extra steps by walking from the Tech Center to my work, which was a little over a half mile. It was a long day for Ann, dealing with new procedures that still have bugs. It was a fast day for me, catching up on end-of-the-month stuff before I walked a 5K. The heat was back but the humidity remained lower that afternoon. Abby had a good day of classes then attended her Pi Phi chapter meeting. Matt drove his car with a busted windshield – yes he has another shattered windshield! Someone on the U Indy campus apparently thought it looked better that way, so Ann called the insurance company again and is now waiting to hear back from Safelight. Luke re-took his algebra test and did much better! After school, he went through his pre-game ritual with Gma then headed into Shriver Field for his JV / “C” team football game vs. rival Batesville. The Bulldogs were going for the clean sweep this year, as they beat the 7th grade, 8th grace and varsity teams already this past week. The Pirates came out and took a quick lead, thanks to the passing game – which helped keep their defense off balance. Luke got to play on series at fullback tonight but did not touch the ball. He did play on special teams – on kickoff team, he was the kicker (he had two kickoffs), on punt team, he was the punter (1 punt- 1st of his career!); on kickoff return team, he was one of the up-backs (he did not have any returns) and on the punt return team as an outside rusher (he didn’t get to the kicker in time). Defensively, he played middle linebacker on every snap, playing on all the defensive plays as the captain – calling out the defensive formations based on the offensive schemes. He is still struggling at times with this transition, but he’s starting to get it. He played outside linebacker for several years but is big enough to pull off this position…it is just taking a while to understand his new responsibilities. Sometimes he gets lost in the middle…and of course it doesn’t help that we are mostly a freshman team playing actual JV teams…and that means the linemen he faces are all big boys. The defense was good for the Pirates tonight, giving up only one score each half to the bigger, faster, stronger opponents. They made several big plays to keep us in the game, including stopping both of the Bulldog PAT attempts (Luke had a sweet solo tackle on the 1st attempt!). That would turn out to be the difference in the game. Batesville got most of their yardage on four big plays. We had trouble keeping outside containment on the weak side (exploited with sweeps) and then when we started biting on that play, the QB would pull it back and scamper up the middle. We stopped everything else consistently except those two plays. It was still tight with a little over a minute to play when the coach put our punt team on the field for the first time the entire season. When he dropped Luke back deep, we all said a little prayer for him! He had never attempted a punt during a game before, so we were all a little concerned. However, he got off a good kick with decent hang time…and when the receiver muffed it, his good buddy Dray was there to pounce on it and we were able to run the rest of the clock out and defend the home field with a 16-12 victory. It’s always good to beat your rivals and although Luke didn’t knock the QB out this time (see my Instagram account for Luke’s 6th grade game vs. these guys!), it was a satisfying victory for the kids. Their record is now even at 3-3. Luke’s stats: He had 8 tackles (2 solo & 6 assisted) and 1 hurry to go with 3 kickoffs (32, 30 & 35) and a punt (30). Here are pictures from our Fall Festival a couple weeks ago.

lp18.10.01 ffp18.01 ffp18.02 ffp18.03 ffp18.04 ffp18.05 ffp18.06 ffp18.07 ffp18.08 ffp18.09 ffp18.10 ffp18.11 ffp18.12 ffp18.13 ffp18.14 ffp18.15 ffp18.16 ffp18.17 ffp18.18 ffp18.19 ffp18.20 ffp18.21 ffp18.22 ffp18.23 ffp18.24 ffp18.25 ffp18.26 ffp18.27 ffp18.28 ffp18.29 ffp18.30 ffp18.31 ffp18.32 ffp18.33 ffp18.34 ffp18.35 ffp18.36 ffp18.37 ffp18.38 ffp18.39 ffp18.40 ffp18.41 ffp18.42 ffp18.43 ffp18.44 ffp18.45 ffp18.46 ffp18.47 ffp18.48 ffp18.49 ffp18.50 ffp18.51 ffp18.52 ffp18.53 ffp18.54 ffp18.55 ffp18.56 ffp18.57 ffp18.58 ffp18.59 ffp18.60 ffp18.61 ffp18.62 ffp18.63 ffp18.64 ffp18.65 ffp18.66 ffp18.67 ffp18.68 ffp18.69 ffp18.70 ffp18.71 ffp18.72 ffp18.73 ffp18.74 ffp18.75 ffp18.76 ffp18.77 ffp18.78 ffp18.79 ffp18.80 ffp18.81 ffp18.82 ffp18.83 ffp18.84 ffp18.85 ffp18.86 ffp18.87 ffp18.88 ffp18.89 ffp18.90 ffp18.91 ffp18.92 ffp18.93 ffp18.94 ffp18.95 ffp18.96 ffp18.97

Abby had a long day on Tuesday and called Ann at work, asking for us to come see her to get her medicine and “not saga” food. Ann had another long day and I had another fast day then walked a 5K before heading to Franklin with Ann to get Bu and take her out to dinner at Big Woods. We enjoyed a couple of their Six Foot Strawberry Blonde beers and I also had a Bacon Bloody Mary with dinner that really hit the spot. We ran Abs by the store and then dropped her off at Cline so she could get ready for her Teke Tuesday Invitational party at the Phi Delt house with the Tekes that evening. Luke had a good day at school, where he found out he got a B+ on his math test then had a good football practice. Ann got Matt all set up with Safelight to repair Bébé’s windshield later this week after it got smashed boy someone last Friday night. We got back home later that evening and watched a few of the new fall TV shows before calling it a night… We didn’t sleep well due to dogs being obnoxious all night. Abby might have to commute to college!!!

Wednesday was another hot day in the 90s. It was a fast day for me before I got out and walked three sweaty miles. Ann had a fast day too then went out with her scrapbook friends for a girls’ night out at Lil’ Charlie’s Brewery in Batesville. She said the Rear-View Blonde Ale was really good and that they laughed and talked and had a great time. I went Wal-Marting then picked up dinner for Luke & I. Lucas had an uneventful day of school and football. He and I spent a quite night of doing math homework together on the couch. We slept a little better due to Lola staying in Luke’s room and Molly in ours. Here are pictures from last week’s homecomings – first at FC and then at U Indy.

fchc18.01 fchc18.02 fchc18.03 fchc18.04 fchc18.05 fchc18.06 fchc18.07 fchc18.08 fchc18.09 fchc18.10 fchc18.11 fchc18.12 fchc18.13 fchc18.14 fchc18.15 fchc18.16 fchc18.17 fchc18.18 fchc18.19 fchc18.20 fchc18.21 fchc18.22 fchc18.23 fchc18.24 fchc18.25 fchc18.26 fchc18.27 fchc18.28 fchc18.29 fchc18.30 fchc18.31 fchc18.32 fchc18.33 fchc18.34 fchc18.35 fchc18.36 fchc18.37 fchc18.38 fchc18.39 fchc18.40 mthcd18.01 mthcd18.02 mthcd18.03 mthcd18.04 mthcd18.05 mthcd18.09mthcd18.06 mthcd18.07 mthcd18.08

I was up early on Thursday to review math with Luke. He had a good day at school, including passing his Algebra final and brought his grade up to a B! He had football practice and then team dinner. Ann had a good day. She talked to Matt who said that he was virtually pain-free now, so the medicine worked and he didn’t need surgery! We are so happy for him! I had a really fast day myself, working on reports then walked about a 5K out in the heat again. Later, I went out to the Sunken Boat Bar for a boys’ night out where I met up with Bryan, Bob, Alan, Shawn, Rick and Pat for some food, beverages and cards while watching the Colts – Pats game. A few of the girls surprised us by crashing the party. It was a fun night again, except for those who had wives…they had to leave at halftime. ☹ Still, we had a great time and we are all looking forward to doing it again next week…except maybe Rick won’t be the big winner this time!!

Friday flew by for both Ann & I at work. We took Justin out to lunch at Arni’s and while Ann got to go home for the day, Justin & I had to go back to work. After work, I started off walking my usual route when I heard some rumbling in the western skies. The black clouds moved in quickly and before I could even think about turning around, it started coming down hard. By the time I got back to the van, it was pouring. So I headed to the mall and got in about 2 ½ miles before calling it a day. Luke had a good last day of school before Fall Break then went on to his varsity football game. Due to working so hard this week, he earned a spot on the kickoff team. The problem is, we didn’t realize it and he didn’t tell us…and we actually missed his first two appearances on the field. Ann & I went out to Shriver Field early for Senior Night and watched as about 20 seniors (including cheerleaders) were recognized. I don’t think I knew any of the parents of this years’ class. The Pirate hosted East Central that evening. They had so many fans travel for this game that they not only filled the visitor stands but also had about ¼ of the home bleachers. We completely missed Luke getting on the field – unusual since I’m usually constantly watching for him to go in, but I was distracted, talking and laughing with all our friends who sat with us: Bryan & Angie, Bob & Pam, Alan & Christy, Shawn & Ally…and Abby & Garrett came as well. It was our first time meeting her new beau. She had come to support her girls on the Pirateers, who were also performing on the football field for the final time of their high school career, though they weren’t recognized tonight. They’ll have to wait until basketball season for that. Although Luke was out there for kickoff returns, the Trojan kicker was so good that he kicked touchbacks every single time, leaving Luke with no blocking assignments. The one time he did get some action, he stopped before the whistle blew and got rolled up on by some guy he didn’t see coming…and hyper-extended his right knee. He was OK, but it really smarted and he felt it all night. Bryan was the first to recognize that Luke was on the field and pointed out that when he came off the field, he “Looks like he was in a car accident!” He was limping, had lost his shoe and was moving slowly. Welcome to the big-time, son! This East Central team was huge. They brought 120 kids! That’s about the size of my team in high school, but this is just a 4A school – but it’s a football town with a great program and really nice facilities, which all makes a huge difference. It was an impressive sight. The game itself was less impressive. East Central had complete control of the game, leading 31-7 at halftime and called off the dogs, playing their subs the entire second half of the game and still winning easily, 38-14. That drops the Pirates to 3-5 on the year. After the game, we took Luke, Bu and Garrett to Wings & Rings for a late dinner and a couple beers. We came home to visit for a little while before the kids had to leave and head back to campus. Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis18.10.01 sis18.10.02 sis18.10.03 sis18.10.04 sis18.10.05 sis18.10.06 sis18.10.07 sis18.10.08 sis18.10.09 sis18.10.10 sis18.10.11 sis18.10.12 sis18.10.13 sis18.10.14 sis18.10.15 sis18.10.16 sis18.10.17 sis18.10.18 sis18.10.19 sis18.10.20 sis18.10.21 sis18.10.22 sis18.10.23 sis18.10.24 sis18.10.25 sis18.10.26 sis18.10.27 sis18.10.28 sis18.10.29 sis18.10.30 sis18.10.31 sis18.10.32 sis18.10.33 sis18.10.33a sis18.10.34 sis18.10.35 sis18.10.36 sis18.10.37 sis18.10.38 sis18.10.39 sis18.10.40 sis18.10.41 sis18.10.42 sis18.10.43 sis18.10.44 sis18.10.45 sis18.10.46 sis18.10.47 sis18.10.48 sis18.10.49 sis18.10.50 sis18.10.51 sis18.10.52 sis18.10.53

We enjoyed sleeping a little on Saturday before slowly getting up and getting going. Luke & I loaded up Betty White then ran a couple errands and dropped off the Husqvarna mower at Stones for service. Luke drove us to Mom & Sandy’s to mow and trim. We went inside afterward and chatted for a bit while Sandy was at the station with all the candidates running for local offices. Afterward, we came home to mow and trim and get cleaned-up on a steamy afternoon. Next, Luke drove us around town for more errands. He drove us to get his hair cut, go through the CVS drive-through, pick up the mower (can’t believe they got it fixed so fast!) and even took us through the Taco Bell drive-thru. He drove us to the BMV, but they were closed for Columbus Day. Who in the world still celebrates Columbus Day?? And besides, isn’t that on Monday? Ann is going to sign him up for driver’s ed this coming week and we wanted him to have a current booklet to study. When we got home, he scarfed down his food then went to Chantz’s house to spend the night. Abby ended upcoming home that day to spend time and support her BFF Megan at the annual softball tourney, an on-going fundraiser in the name of her father. After her games, Ann & I took her out for dinner and margaritas (for the parents) at ElRep then said goodbye as she headed back to school. Garrett traveled with the Griz football team to Defiance, OH where Coach Leonard tied Coach Faught for most victories in school history today! That left Ann & I alone for a quiet night in the A/C with the dogs, catching up on our DVR’ed shows – season premieres of Will & Grace & SEAL Team as well as other faves like SWAT, Blue Bloods AHS Apocalypse and then once she fell asleep, I watched shows that she has less interest in- Manifest, Family Guy, South Park and Stargate.

Sunday should’ve been the perfect day to sleep in, but the dogs and a nasty migraine had Ann up early and she inadvertently got me up. We both tried to go back to sleep but to no avail. So, we slowly got up to begin our weekly household chores and then I settled in to watch Stargate SG-1 and Buck Rodgers before football came on NFL RedZone. Later, Luke came home briefly before going right back out to hang out with his friends, ending up at the movies to see Venom. Ann went out to eat with her friend Kristie at BWR. Before they left, we did watch the sectional draw, live on the internet and that in Sectional #31 we will host Batesville in the opener and possibly a re-match with Lawrenceburg if we can get past the rival Bulldogs. With the house being empty, it allowed me to be a couch potato and watch the season premiere of Dr. Who, last night’s UFC event (what a great title card and what a wild finish to the night!), the NASCAR races in Dover (Elliott won at the Monster Mile with Gordon in his pit). Later, I watched the Cowboys on SNF and then the season premiere of The Walking Dead before finally calling it a day… We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp18.10.01 smp18.10.02 smp18.10.03 smp18.10.04 smp18.10.05 smp18.10.06 smp18.10.07 smp18.10.08 smp18.10.09 smp18.10.10 smp18.10.11 smp18.10.12 smp18.10.13 smp18.10.14 smp18.10.15 smp18.10.16 smp18.10.17 smp18.10.18 smp18.10.19 smp18.10.20 smp18.10.21 smp18.10.22 smp18.10.23 smp18.10.24 smp18.10.25 smp18.10.26 smp18.10.27 smp18.10.28 smp18.10.29 smp18.10.30 smp18.10.31 smp18.10.32 smp18.10.33 smp18.10.34 smp18.10.35 smp18.10.36 smp18.10.37 smp18.10.38 smp18.10.39 smp18.10.40 smp18.10.41 smp81.10.42 smp18.10.43 smp18.10.44 smp18.10.46 smp18.10.47 smp18.10.48 smp18.10.49 smp18.10.50 smp18.10.51 smp18.10.52 smp18.10.53 smp18.10.54 smp18.10.55 smp18.10.56 smp18.10.57 smp18.10.58 smp18.10.59 smp18.10.60 smp18.10.61 smp18.10.62 smp18.10.63 smp18.10.64 smp18.10.65 smp18.10.66 smp18.10.67 smp18.10.68 smp18.10.69 smp18.10.70 smp18.10.71 smp18.10.72 smp18.10.73 smp18.10.74 smp18.10.75 smp18.10.76 smp18.10.77 smp18.10.78 smp18.10.79 smp18.10.80 smp18.10.81 smp18.10.82 smp18.10.83 smp18.10.84 smp18.10.85 smp18.10.86 smp18.10.87 smp18.10.88 smp18.10.89 smp18.10.90 smp18.10.91 smp18.10.92

Next up is our Waybac section which continues to feature pictures from our #16 photo album of our young family during 2003. We lead off this week with yet more Monster Jam at Lucas Oil Stadium in January; more wresting at the Fieldhouse in Indy in February; Chris & Trish’s wedding Lafayette in June; Ann’s baby shower for Lukey in Columbus in June; our annual 4th of July party in Ryle; one of my favorite photos of all time at our house in September; Abby with Megan at Crysti’s house in October; Danny’s 50th birthday party in November and Luke’s first Christmas morning at our home in December.

Waybac.2003.01.mj43 Waybac.2003.01.mj44 Waybac.2003.01.mj45 Waybac.2003.01.mj46 Waybac.2003.02.mw50 Waybac.2003.02.mw51 Waybac.2003.02.mw52 Waybac.2003.02.mw53 Waybac.2003.06.catsw04 Waybac.2003.06.catsw05 Waybac.2003.06.catsw06 Waybac.2003.06.catsw07 Waybac.2003.06.lbs15 Waybac.2003.06.lbs16 Waybac.2003.06.lbs17 Waybac.2003.06.lbs18 Waybac.2003.07.fojp35 Waybac.2003.07.fojp36 Waybac.2003.07.fojp37 Waybac.2003.07.fojp38 Waybac.2003.07.fojp39 Waybac.2003.07.fojp40 Waybac.2003.07.fojp41 Waybac.2003.07.fojp42 Waybac.2003.09.ldw06 Waybac.2003.10.kpach03 Waybac.2003.10.kpach04 Waybac.2003.10.kpach05 Waybac.2003.11.dobd07 Waybac.2003.11.dobd08 Waybac.2003.11.dobd09 Waybac.2003.11.dobd10 Waybac.2003.12.sfcd06 Waybac.2003.12.sfcd07

Our final portion is our video section. This week we have one new home movie to share as well as several from around the internet.

And that puts the kibosh on this week’s version of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply