…An old Machine for Fifty Odd Years

It was a whirlwind week, even though the first half went a little slower the back half flew by in a blur. Matt enjoyed working at the elementary school this week, continuing his student teaching in Zionsville. He will only have one more week at the school before he has to move on to the next phase of his senior year. It will be tough for him, as he has forged some wonderful relationships not only with the staff but especially with the kids. We got to see him a couple times this week – both with and without his sweetie, Taylor. Abby had a busy week of school – working hard on her studies, spending quality time with her sorority sisters and enjoying downtime with Garrett. We got to see her once this week. Luke had an easier week. He didn’t have much math homework, got a day off from classes and found himself between sports – having only one official practice. Ann had a rough week. She was sick nearly the entire week – missing some work, feeling like crap and coughing incessantly. Her throat is so sore, as are her ribs from the constant hacking. I got in nearly 21 miles of walking this week, which was a big one for me…as in the big 5-0. I wish Mom had been here to help celebrate the milestone, but my family and friends more than made up for any slack her absence may have created. I am truly grateful for such wonderful people that surround me in this life. Hello and welcome to the latest installment of the Scheu Family Blog.

It was a cold start to the week on Monday with frosted car windows but turned out to be a pretty day. Luke went to school then turned in his football gear at the stadium before heading over to the gymnasium for his first basketball practice / workout. Abby went back to school to begin the second half of her first semester at college. It is actually her sophomore year due to all her hard work in high school that turned into credits at the next level. Matt returned to teaching for the first time in a couple weeks due to Fall Break. Ann got her hair done with Jami. Afterward, she began feeling lousy so she came home and went to bed the rest of the night. I had a fast day at work then walked a 5K on a gorgeous afternoon in the 70s. Luke and I did his math homework then he played Fortnight while I watched a mini Stargate marathon on a quiet night. Here are pictures of Luke’s penultimate football game of the season and his final JV football game.

lp18.10.05 ljvfr18.01 ljvfr18.02 ljvfr18.03 ljvfr18.04 ljvfr18.05 ljvfr18.06 ljvfr18.07 ljvfr18.08 ljvfr18.09 ljvfr18.10 ljvfr18.11 ljvfr18.12 ljvfr18.13 ljvfr18.14 ljvfr18.15 ljvfr18.16 ljvfr18.17 ljvfr18.18 ljvfr18.19 ljvfr18.20 ljvfr18.21 ljvfr18.22 ljvfr18.23 ljvfr18.24 ljvfr18.25 lvfr18.26 ljvfr18.27 ljvfr18.28 ljvfr18.29 ljvfr18.30 ljvfr18.31 ljvfr18.32 ljvfr18.33 ljvfr18.34 ljvfr18.35 ljvfr18.36 ljvfr18.37 ljvfr18.38 ljvfr18.39 ljvfr18.40 ljvfr18.41 ljvfr18.42 ljvfr18.43 ljvfr18.44 ljvfr18.45 ljvfr18.46 ljvfr18.47 ljvfr18.48 ljvfr18.49 ljvfr18.50 ljvfr18.51 ljvfr18.52 ljvfr18.53 ljvfr18.54 ljvfr18.55 ljvfr18.56 ljvfr18.57 ljvfr18.58 ljvfr18.59 ljvfr18.60 ljvfr18.61 ljvfr18.62 ljvfr18.63 ljvfr18.64 ljvfr18.65 ljvfr18.66 ljvfr18.67 ljvfr18.68 ljvfr18.69 ljvfr18.70

It was another cool start to our day on Tuesday. Luke had school then enjoyed the afternoon off – his first in a long time. He spent it…playing video games (of course). Ann was feeling a little better, but still a little off. I had another fast day at work then walked three miles on a comfortable day in the 60s. We left a little early so that Ann could meet up with Shawna at the Elementary School for the annual Basket (well, now Bag) Bingo that benefits Tri Kappa. I edited pictures and video while watching Game 1 of the World Series (Bosox vs. Dodgers). I couldn’t stay awake on the couch, so Ann chased me to the bedroom to watch the game…and of course I instantly fell asleep! The next morning, I saw that Boston won.

Ann wasn’t feeling well again on Wednesday morning and stayed home from work. She wound up at the doctor’s office and although she doesn’t have strep throat yet, it’s not looking good. Luke had a fast day at school then came home and did a couple hours of his online Driver’s Ed course, shot baskets 100 baskets in the driveway and then went “Trick or Treating” for canned goods with friends from St. Mary’s to benefit the local food pantry. It was another quiet night at home, editing pix while watching some of our fall favorites on TV – The Resident, 9-1-1, SEAL Team, FBI, American Horror Story before watching the end of game 2 of the World Series in Boston, where the home team won again. I enjoyed my fast day at work then walked a 5K on a cooler afternoon in the upper 50s. I finished up my picture editing that night and also found some good ones of Luke playing junior varsity ball this fall on Chuck Abrell’s website that I’ll share next week. I think we’ll end up ordering a few from him. Here are pictures from Luke’s final football game of the year – the Sectional contest vs. Batesville.

lvfsb18.01 lvfsb18.02 lvfsb18.03 lvfsb18.04 lvfsb18.05 lvfsb18.06 lvfsb18.07 lvfsb18.08 lvfsb18.09 lvfsb18.10 lvfsb18.11 lvfsb18.12 lvfsb18.13 lvfsb18.14 lvfsb18.15 lvfsb18.16 lvfsb18.17 lvfsb18.18 lvfsb18.19 lvfsb18.20 lvfsb18.21 lvfsb18.22 lvfsb18.23 lvfsb18.24 lvfsb18.25 lvfsb18.26 lvfsb18.27 lvfsb18.28 lvfsb18.29 lvfsb18.30 lvfsb18.31 lvfsb18.32 lvfsb18.33 lvfsb18.34 lvfsb18.35 lvfsb18.36 lvfsb18.37 lvfsb18.38 lvfsb18.39 lvfsb18.40 lvfsb18.41 lvfsb18.42 lvfsb18.43 lvfsb18.44 lvfsb18.45 lvfsb18.46 lvfsb18.47 lvfsb18.48 lvfsb18.49 lvfsb18.50 lvfsb18.51 lvfsb18.52 lvfsb18.53 lvfsb18.54 lvfsb18.55 lvfsb18.56 lvfsb18.57 lvfsb18.58 lvfsb18.59 lvfsb18.60 lvfsb18.61 lvfsb18.62 lvfsb18.63 lvfsb18.64 lvfsb18.65 lvfsb18.66 lvfsb18.67 lvfsb18.68 lvfsb18.69 lvfsb18.70 lvfsb18.71 lvfsb18.72 lvfsb18.73 lvfsb18.74 lvfsb18.75 lvfsb18.76 lvfsb18.77 lvfsb18.78 lvfsb18.79 lvfsb18.80 lvfsb18.81 lvfsb18.82 lvfsb18.83 lvfsb18.84 lvfsb18.85 lvfsb18.86 lvfsb18.87 lvfsb18.88 lvfsb18.89 lvfsb18.90 lvfsb18.91 lvfsb18.92 lvfsb18.93 lvfsb18.94 lvfsb18.95 lvfsb18.96 lvfsb18.97 lvfsb18.98 lvfsb18.99 lvfsb18.100 lvfsb18.101 lvfsb18.102 lvfsb18.103 lvfsb18.104 lvfsb18.105 lvfsb18.106 lvfsb18.107 lvfsb18.108 lvfsb18.109 lvfsb18.110

On Thursday, Ann still felt like dog doo. She slept in then went to parent-teacher conferences at the Fieldhouse. She overdid it a bit and tried to go to work but only lasted a couple hours before coming home to go to bed again. I had another fast day at work then walked another 5K on a cooler afternoon in the low 50s. Later, I went out to the Sunken Boat Bar for Poker Night with the boys. We wound up playing a little blackjack for much of the evening. Bob joined Bryan & I and Alan eventually came over as well. Luke got to sleep-in that morning because he had the day off from school. He went with Gma for the day to help her get her Christmas stuff down from the garage attic and take his permit test again at the BMV…only he failed it again (go figure, he didn’t even read the book yet!); He did work out at home by shooting another 100 buckets and lifting weights for a big. He then did his online class for Driver’s Ed for a couple hours…

It was a wet start on Friday morning and I think it pretty much rained all day. It stayed to rain and kept on raining all day. It stayed chilly in the 40s. Ann was again not feeling well and decided to say home from work. Luke had school then Gma took him to the BMV to take the permit test at BMV again…and failed it again. I had a long day at work then walked a 5K at the mall before meeting up with Ann & Luke and going over to Mom & Sandy’s house for my birthday party. Matt & Taylor, Abby & Garett and Dee, Jamie & Gracie were also able to attend. It was nice to have the family back together for a few hours. The girls had quite the spread: Ann made jalapeno dip, corn dip and her Shallo’s salad dressing / dip to go with cheeseburgers, sausage balls, raw veggies, fresh fruit salad, a salad bar and of course ice cream and cake! We enjoyed a nice, family-style meal with everyone then they sang the Birthday Song. It was an especially bad one, done in the death-march style again. We had cake, opened presents (got lots of Hot Wheels and cash!) and then watched the World Series with the boys in the living room. We ended up coming back home after dropping Luke off at Skylar’s house for the night. The other kids came over and hung out with Ann & I for a while. I have to admit, it was pretty cool to see how they’ve grown into such good people. They had to get back to school eventually and after getting confirmation that they were safely back, Ann fell asleep as I continued to watch the World Series…and what an epic game it was! It went twice as long as a regulation game and had two 7th inning stretches. It was officially the longest game in playoff history – both in terms of innings (18) and time (6 ½ hours), going until about 330 am. Eventually LA won via a walk-off home run to make the series 2-1. Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis18.10.159 sis18.10.160 sis18.10.161 sis18.10.162 sis18.10.163 sis18.10.164 sis18.10.165 sis18.10.166 sis18.10.167 sis18.10.168 sis18.10.169 sis18.10.170 sis18.10.171 sis18.10.172 sis18.10.173 sis18.10.174 sis18.10.175 sis18.10.176 sis18.10.177 sis18.10.178 sis18.10.179 sis18.10.180 sis18.10.181 sis18.10.182 sis18.10.183 sis18.10.184 sis18.10.185 sis18.10.186 sis18.10.187 sis18.10.188 sis18.10.189 sis18.10.190 sis18.10.191 sis18.10.192 sis18.10.193 sis18.10.194 sis18.10.195 sis18.10.196 sis18.10.197 sis18.10.198 sis18.10.199 sis18.10.200 sis18.10.201 sis18.10.202 sis18.10.203 sis18.10.204 sis18.10.205 sis18.10.206 sis18.10.207 sis18.10.208 sis18.10.209 sis18.10.210 sis18.10.211 sis18.10.212 sis18.10.213 sis18.10.214 sis18.10.215 sis18.10.216 sis18.10.217 sis18.10.218 sis18.10.219 sis18.10.220 sis18.10.221 sis18.10.222 sis18.10.223 sis18.10.224 sis18.10.225 sis18.10.226 sis18.10.227 sis18.10.229 sis18.10.228 sis18.10.229 sis18.10.230 sis18.10.231 sis18.10.232 sis18.10.233 sis18.10.234 sis18.10.235 sis18.10.236 sis18.10.237 sis18.10.238

With no kids in the house, we enjoyed sleeping in on Saturday morning. We bummed around the house until I went out and picked up Luke at Skylar’s house. Matt & Taylor were supposed to go to Kings Island that day but due to the cold, rainy weather it got cancelled. When I got back, Ann had me to get cleaned up, claiming we were getting away for the weekend. We packed a bag, dropped Luke at Mom’s house and headed up to Indy. We stayed at a nice Holiday Inn, which sets in the shadow of Lucas Oil Stadium. We walked into the darkened room and saw that it had been decorated with 50 year-old paraphernalia. Then, just as I turned on the lights, I felt a hand grab my ankle and as the lights went up, all our friends shouted, “SURPRISE!!” I had never had that done to me before and I was completely clueless and so caught off-guard (good job, Ann) The entire room was adjourned with age-appropriate balloons and confetti – it was so nice! They gave me a beer and I opened up presents – a nice Bourbon glass, lots of booze, several cans of nuts, a bunch of dried meats and a pair of Colts / Cowboys tickets with a parking pass! I can’t wait!! We had a couple drinks and laughed at the shirts they had made for us all – there were 10 of us in total: Ann & I, Bryan & Angie, Bob & Pam, Shawn & Alli, and Pat & Shawna. The front of the tees had a huge picture of my fat head and said, “Tom is 50.” On the back, it was covered with a couple dozen or so of my “Tom-isms” – the things I must repeat incessantly while coaching or watching sports. It was really cute and very heartfelt – good planning! Downtown Indy was alive – the streets were electric and there was a buzz around all the people that were out and about that night. Many of the pedestrians were dressed in costume, which added to the fun! We caught an Uber to and upscale restaurant called Union 50 for a very nice dinner and lots of drinks. We ran into Katie, who was there with her friends celebrating another birthday. The food was so good. Bryan & I had veal chops and a few glasses of premium bourbon (EH Taylor). They were really smooth! We then walked to the Murat Theatre at Old National Centre to see Jim Gaffigan on his Fixer-Upper Tour. He was really funny – we laughed so hard that my face hurt. He also had an opening act who very good, named Ted Alexandro. We had a cocktail and enjoyed the show. Everywhere we went (including inside the Murat) loved our t-shirts and I had frequent Happy Birthdays yelled at me! Afterwards we caught an Uber to the Slippery Noodle, which was holding their annual Halloween costume contest. We enjoyed a couple of blues bands that night. First, we went to the back and sat by ourselves in the balcony to watch Blackjack Davey & The Rhythm Kings, who were a fun band that sounded very good – and very loud! We had several drinks and some snacky-bar food. We closed down that stage room and then went to the front of the house to see Deuce ‘n a Quarter. At that point, Ann, Angie, Bob & Pam and Pat & Shawna went back to the hotel while Shawn & Ally stayed with Bryan & I to continue the debauchery. We had a few more beers and enjoyed that band, which was very talented. We eventually closed down the bar and decided to Uber over to Nicky Blaine’s Cocktail Lounge for a top-shelf Ashton cigar and some more bourbon. We closed them down at about 3 and walked to Steak n Shake for some burgers. Those greasy patties were so damn good! We walked back to the hotel from there on a gorgeous night in the low-50s. We ran into a couple drunks but faired just fine. We passed a group of men under a bridge at one point. When asked, “What you representing,” we just smiled and kept walking, not looking for any trouble. A few seconds later, Bryan jokingly said, “The 8-1-2?” while I quipped, “The Lollipop Guild?” We finally got back and got to bed sometime after 430, worn-out from an unbelievably awesome night that I will never forget… We will have lots of pictures and videos to share next week, I hope. We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp18.10.179 smp18.10.180 smp18.10.181 smp18.10.182 smp18.10.183 smp18.10.184 smp18.10.185 smp18.10.186 smp18.10.187 smp18.10.188 smp18.10.189 smp18.10.190 smp18.10.191 smp18.10.192 smp18.10.193 smp18.10.194 smp18.10.195 smp18.10.196 smp18.10.197 smp18.10.198 smp18.10.199 smp18.10.200 smp18.10.201 smp18.10.202 smp18.10.203 smp18.10.204 smp18.10.205 smp18.10.206 smp18.10.207 smp18.10.208 smp18.10.209 smp18.10.210 smp18.10.211 smp18.10.212 smp18.10.213 smp18.10.214 smp18.10.215 smp18.10.216 smp18.10.217 smp18.10.218 smp18.10.219 smp18.10.220 smp18.10.221 smp18.10.222 smp18.10.223

We bypassed breakfast at the hotel on Sunday morning, deciding to sleep in until checkout on my 50th birthday. We had a very comfy bed and it was a bigger room than I had realized the night before. We would definitely stay there again. On our way back home, we stopped at Cracker Barrel for a late breakfast and then came back to town to pick-up Luke and get to our weekly household chores. I watched NFL RedZone while Ann got in a nap. Matt came back from Indy that morning and drove directly into work at Aspen Place. Later, he came home and showered, watched football with me and caught up with Ann & I. He seems very happy with his life and we are ecstatic for him. It was a very breezy day – in fact, we had a wind advisory and several people in the state were without power for a while. Matt ended up leaving at halftime of the Colts game and headed up to campus to go to dinner with Ms. Taylor. There were a bunch of great NFL games today, including a big Colts win! Ann made cheesy popcorn for dinner and we talked to Abby on Facetime. Luke pretty much played Fortnight the entire day and night with his buddies, online. I fast-forwarded through the NASCAR races at Martinsville where Logano didn’t deserve the win the cup race but got it anyway – don’t be surprised if Truex puts him in the wall at some point in the next few races. We watched a little bit of the Saints / Vikings game on SNF and caught the end of the baseball season as Boston won another championship that night. We wrapped up the week as we like to do with The Walking Dead / Talking Dead before we called it a night. Poor Ann slept in the living room again that night (her fourth night this week), so as to let me sleep and so she can stay somewhat upright. Between the snoring and coughing, she has hardly gotten any quality rest this week. I sure hope she gets to feeling better next week… As we wrap up the week and I’m reflecting on all the activity, I have to give a shout-out to not only our group of friends – they’re such good people that we are blessed to have in our lives, but especially to Bryan & Angie. We are so lucky to have them in our lives and we love them both so very, very much. 😊 Thanks again, guys! You rawk!!

Next up is our Waybac section which continues to feature our #16 photo album of our young family in 2003. We lead off with yet more pictures from Monster Jam in January; Matt’s birthday party in March; Luke’s birth in June; Abby’s birthday in September; and Christmas Eve in December.

Waybac.2003.01.mj51 Waybac.2003.01.mj52 Waybac.2003.01.mj53 Waybac.2003.01.mj54 Waybac.2003.03.mbd27 Waybac.2003.03.mbd28 Wabyac.2003.03.mbd29 Waybac.2003.03.mbd30 Waybac.2003.06.lb56 Waybac.2003.06.lb57 Waybac.2003.06.lb58 Waybac.2003.06.lb59 Waybac.2003.09.abd45 Waybac.2003.09.abd46 Waybac.2003.09.abd47 Waybac.2003.09.abd48 Waybac.2003.12.ofce36 Waybac.2003.12.ofce37 Waybac.2003.12.ofce38 Waybac.2003.12.ofce39

Next up is our video segment which includes three new family home movies from this week as well as several from around the internet.

And that does it for this week’s episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss you, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply