When the (Temps) come Tumblin’ Down

The seasons continue to change, here in south-central Indiana. My late afternoon walks have become early evening walks with the shadows as long as trees during my daily workouts. Most of the trees are bare, including ours which are completely devoid of foliage. We saw our first snowflakes of the season as temps steadily tumbled as the week progressed. Matt started classes again at University of Indianapolis as his first student-teaching stint has now ended. He spent much of his time with Taylor and stayed up north all week. Abby continued to work hard in her classes at Franklin College and spend time with Garrett. She did manage to visit with us a few times this week. Luke had a big week as he continues to gain driving experience and has officially moved on to the next sports season now. I caught up with both my Dads this week and met my weekly exercise goal of fifteen miles. I also managed to lose about ten pounds this week as I set my sights on losing twenty before we have our family pictures at the start of next month. Hello again and welcome to next issue of the Scheu Family Blog.

It was back to work & school on Monday morning. Matt began classes back at U Indy for the first time this year. Abby worked with her chemistry professor to bring up her grade in that class. Luke had a busy day at school then went to basketball workouts before working on his Driver’s Ed class that evening. Ann called me during work and said Black Betty’s power steering had finally gave out. It has been failing for a couple years now. She got it parked but then couldn’t get it out of the spot so Justin & I went and picked it up and ya, the power steering fluid was completely empty. We got a big bottle of it from the store but it came out just as quickly as I could put it in, unfortunately. It was enough to at least lube it and allowed me to drive it. We limped it home after walking a 5K that evening and drove it over to Jerry’s garage and parked it until he could service it. It was dark by the time we got home. We watched the Cowboys on MNF while it rained all night. Dallas looked dismal; I can’t understand how the offensive coordinator and head coach still have their jobs… Here are pictures of Luke and the Messer kids off of the Abrell’s Photo Works website. We ordered many of these that night and I’m hopeful they will come in next week – in time for next week’s blog entry.

lp18.11.02 lfap18.01 lfap18.02 lfap18.03 lfap18.04 lfap18.05 lfap18.06 lfap18.07 lfap18.08 lfap18.09 lfap18.10 lfap18.11 lfap18.12 lfap18.13 lfap18.14 lfap18.15 lfap18.16 lfap18.17 lfap18.18 lfap18.19 lfap18.20 lfap18.21 lfap18.22 lfap18.23 lfap18.24 lfap18.25

Tuesday was Election Day. The rain finally stopped on our way in to work. It was breezy all day. It eventually blew the clouds away and turned out to be a pretty day. With Black Betty in the shop, we drove old Barney into work. Luke had a fast day at school then went to basketball tryouts. Ann & I also had fast days at work. Abby came down to see Ms. Ann for a few minutes and pick-up a couple dresses from home before returning to campus. I walked a 5K on a gorgeous, 60° day. I would take a day like this year-round – sweatshirt and shorts is right up my alley. We came home and voted at the Knights of St Johns after work in the midterm elections. Later, Luke drove us to the courthouse for our annual visit to take Gigi a drink as she reported on the returns for the radio station. He did a good job with his first night driving. We picked up Chester’s for dinner and enjoyed a quiet night. Ann & I watched our DVR’ed shows and the election returns while Luke binge-watched TWD again.

The dogs got out of the backyard on Wednesday morning, before work. Upon further investigation, I found that someone had again left the back gate wide-open. We’ve had this happen a few times in the last year or so. I’m sure it was probably Duke checking the meter. I’ve called a couple times to complain, but they obviously don’t really care… Luke had a long day of school then had basketball tryouts where he made the basketball team! He will begin the year on the Freshman squad with his fellow classmen. He was a little disappointed that his team got broken up as three of the core boys on the team he has played with for years bumped up to the JV team while a couple of the boys decided not to play basketball at all this year. It will be an interesting year for him. We just encouraged him to work hard every day and continue to show the coaching staff what he can do for the team. Ann & I both had long days at work then I walked a 5k on another nice afternoon in the mid-fifties. Ann went out with her scrapbooking buddies for a night out. I finally caught up with Dad S, who is doing good. He just got back from South Carolina where he had his annual golf vacation with his buddies. He said Uncle Chuck is having some heart issues related to smoking and will have to undergo surgery soon. I also touched base with Dad & Lynn, who buried Tammi today in Missouri. Here are some leftover pictures of Luke playing football for JV and varsity that I found on Gigi’s camera.

lfgc18.01 lfgc18.02 lfgc18.03 lfgc18.04 lfgc18.05 lfgc18.06 lfgc18.07 lfgc18.08 lfgc18.09 lfgc18.10 lfgc18.11 lfgc18.12 lfgc18.13 lfgc18.14 lfgc18.15 lfgc18.16 lfgc18.17 lfgc18.18 lfgc18.19 lfgc18.20 lfgc18.21 lfgc18.22 lfgc18.23 lfgc18.24 lfgc18.25 lfgc18.26 lfgc18.27 lfgc18.28

We had a cold start with a hard frost on the lawn and vehicles on Thursday. It was a very long day for Ann – full of meetings all afternoon. I also endured a long one myself then walked three miles on a cold, windy afternoon. It was almost too chilly to walk, but the sun was out so that made it bearable. We left early to come back and pick-up the Hot Rod Lincoln from Mom and run to the store. Ann made sliders for me to take to card night, out at the Sunken Boat Bar (thanks, babe!). She also made a special dip for her to take tomorrow night to scrapbooking. Luke had a good day of school then went to basketball practice. He spent the night binge watching TWD again – he’s hooked! Later, I went out to Bryan & Angie’s house to watch football, play some cards and enjoy some spirits with the boys. We had a great time and a good turnout as Rick, Shawn, Alan and Bob joined Bryan & I – where is Pat?? I actually came out ahead for once and got in a late that night.

Work came way to early on Friday morning. It was a cold start again that day. In fact, it never got out of the 30s all day. Health & Sanitation walked-in that morning at work so we dealt with the state inspector for several stressful hours. We had a great inspection with only a few items to address next week. I celebrated by going out for a late lunch with Justin & Vic at China Buffet. After work, I walked a couple miles at the mall due it being too damn cold outside. I used to be able to walk in the sub-30-degree weather, but not anymore now that I am officially old! Ann went scrapbooking with Shawna and friends in Burney after work until late that evening. Luke had a fast day at school then attended basketball practice. On the way home, I received a call from Bryan. Luke & I went out to the Messer’s where Matt & Jess met up with us and we had an intervention with our boys and had to do some parenting that evening for a couple hours. We came home and had a quiet, cold, snowy night – yes, that’s right…we saw the first snow of the season that evening as the temps dipped into the teens. Brrr… Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis18.11.55 sis18.11.56 sis18.11.57 sis18.11.58 sis18.11.59 sis18.11.60 sis18.11.61 sis18.11.62 sis18.11.63 sis18.11.64 sis18.11.65 sis18.11.66 sis18.11.67 sis18.11.68 sis18.11.69 sis18.11.70 sis18.11.71 sis18.11.72 sis18.11.73 sis18.11.74 sis18.11.75 sis18.11.76 sis18.11.77 sis18.11.78 sis18.11.79 sis18.11.80 sis18.11.81 sis18.11.82 sis18.11.83 sis18.11.84 sis18.11.85 sis18.11.86 sis18.11.87 sis18.11.88 sis18.11.89 sis18.11.90 sis18.11.91 sis18.11.92 sis18.11.93 sis18.11.94 sis18.11.95 sis18.11.96 sis18.11.97 sis18.11.98 sis18.11.99 sis18.11.100 sis18.11.101 sis18.11.102 sis18.11.103 sis18.11.104 sis18.11.105 sis18.11.106 sis18.11.107 sis18.11.108 sis18.11.109 sis18.11.110 sis18.11.111

We were up early on Saturday to run Luke out to basketball practice at the Field House. It was a frigid morning with a light dusting of snow left on the cars and lawn. While he was at practice, I checked fluids in the vehicles and by the time I got done I could barely feel my fingers. Later, we all got cleaned up and headed to Franklin to see Abby. Luke drove us in the Hot Rod Lincoln all the way to campus and did great in his first interstate trip. We picked up Bu and went downtown to Greek’s Pizzeria & Tapp Room for lunch. We enjoyed a couple draft beers (Quaff On’s Six-Foot Strawberry Blonde for me and a Bourbon Vanilla Cream Ale for Ann). We shared their outstanding Gourmet House pizza and brought more than half of it home with us. We ended up dropping Abby off at the Bell game. It was our annual rivalry football game vs. Hanover. We had planned to join her at the game until at least halftime, but since it was only 25 degrees outdoors (and didn’t have a child participating), we decided to go shopping at the campus bookstore instead. I picked up a new shirt and hat while Ann got a sweatshirt and Luke got him a nice windbreaker. Ann & I noticed they didn’t have any fraternity / sorority stuff in there like they used to when we were in school. While we were leaving, we ran into the group of Abby’s friends that had come to her birthday party earlier in the year. Ann stopped and talked with them before Luke drove us back to town where we all ended up taking naps and keeping warm. Luke decided to skip the Big Blue Madness event that evening when his coach didn’t make the freshmen attend. With Luke not attending, Ann & I didn’t have any desire to go either, so we took it easy and waited for Dad & Lynn to arrive. They had hit the road earlier in the day and began making their way back to New Jersey, where they’d been before going back to Tammi’s house. They made plans to stop in to see us for a little while as they passed through the area. Abby froze at the game but had fun with her friends. Unfortunately, the Grizzlies lost a close game and in doing so, were eliminated from the playoffs. They tied for the conference championship with Hanover, but obviously they have the tiebreaker and will receive the automatic bid into the post-season. After the game, she and Garrett spent time with his parents then came down to see us. Once they got to the house, we piled into the Hot Rod Lincoln and Luke drove us to ElRep where we met up with Dad & Lynn for dinner. We had a nice time, spending a couple hours dining and catching up before we had to say goodbye and let them get back on their journey. Luke drove us home and we said goodbye to the kids who had to head back up to FC. We settled in to keep warm and fell asleep watching our DVR’ed shows with the dogs. We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp18.11.52 smp18.11.53 smp18.11.54 smp18.11.55 smp18.11.56 smp18.11.57 smp18.11.58 smp18.11.59 smp18.11.60 smp18.11.61 smp18.11.62 smp18.11.63 smp18.11.64 smp18.11.65 smp18.11.66 smp18.11.67 smp18.11.68 smp18.11.69 smp18.11.70 smp18.11.71 smp18.11.72 smp18.11.73 smp18.11.74 smp18.11.75 smp18.11.76 smp18.11.77 smp18.11.78 smp18.11.79 smp18.11.80 smp18.11.81 smp18.11.82 smp18.11.83 smp18.11.84 smp18.11.85 smp18.11.86 smp18.11.87 smp18.11.88 smp18.11.89 smp18.11.90 smp18.11.91 smp18.11.92 smp18.11.93 smp18.11.94 smp18.11.95 smp18.11.96 smp18.11.97 smp18.11.98 smp18.11.99 smp18.11.100 smp18.11.101 smp18.11.102

We enjoyed sleeping in on Sunday morning. It was another cold day, but Ann & I spent most of it under blankets, watching TV and taking naps with the dogs while Luke continued to binge-watch the Walking Dead. We did our weekly household chores but didn’t do much of anything else, choosing to take it easy and re-charge our batteries. We did manage to go over to Mom & Sandy’s house for a little bit. We returned the Hot Rod Lincoln and Luke & I moved some furniture in preparation of the girls getting some new flooring laid in a couple rooms next week. We saw the Colts pull out a win, Brees and the Saints won again (Drew is now in 2nd place all-time for TD throws!) and the NASCAR races were all entertaining and now all the “Championship Fours” are set for next week in Miami. Later, Ann made cheesy popcorn and we watched the Cowboys play on SNF and then the first “AR” episode of the Walking Dead (After Rick). It was a relaxing way to wind up another fast week…

Next up is our Waybac section, which has yet more pictures from our #16 photo album from the year 2003. We lead off this week with more action from Monster Jam in Indy in January; Matt’s birthday party at our house in March; Luke’s introduction to the family at our home in June; Baili & Rob letting Matt & Bu ride their horses after the Fair Parade, at WTRE in July; Luke in the buff at home & Matt & Abby with Uncle Paul at his wedding in Columbus – both in October; and the Owens family Christmas Eve celebration at our home in December.

Waybac.2003.01.mj59 Waybac.2003.01.mj60 Waybac.2003.01.mj61 Waybac.2003.01.mj62 Waybac.2003.03.mbdp35 Waybac.2003.03.mbdp36 Waybac.2003.03.mbdp37 Waybac.2003.03.mbdp38 Waybac.2003.06.lb64 Waybac.2003.06.lb65 Waybac.2003.06.lb66 Waybac.2003.06.lb67 Waybac.2003.07.mafph01 Waybac.2003.07.mafph02 Waybac.2003.07.mafph03 Waybac.2003.07.mafph04 Waybac.2003.10.litb01 Waybac.2003.10.litb02 Waybac.2003.10.litb03 Waybac.2003.10.pdw05 Waybac.2003.12.ofce40 Waybac.2003.12.ofce41 Waybac.2003.12.ofce42 Waybac.2003.12.ofce43

And finally, we have our video section which includes one new home movie from this week as well as several from around the internet.

And that puts the kibosh on this week’s installment of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply