Feel the Pressure Rise…Hear the Whistle Blow

Another busy week has blurred past us again. Matt stayed up in Indy all week, attending classes and spending time with Taylor. Abby came up to Columbus to see Ann a couple times but otherwise focused on college life in Franklin. Luke had a busy week at school and played in a pair of basketball games. We had hoped to get all the kids together this weekend, but Mother Nature had other plans for us. Ann checked more items off her Christmas shopping list this week, despite her failing knees. I struggled with my diet but had a great cardiologist checkup and surpassed my weekly exercise goal with sixteen and a half miles of walking. The weather was all over the place with sun and clouds, rain and snow, wind and ice and mid-teens to lower sixties. It’s no wonder we’re all sniffling and coughing around the house. I got to see Mom & Sandy briefly and talk with Dad B. for a little while. Rob & Sharon went with Dad & Lynn to New York this week to see the Rockettes and the lighting of the tree on Rockefeller Square. We finally put closure on the football season this week as basketball season got into full swing. Hello again and welcome back to the Scheu Family Blog.

It was yet another cold, rainy start to the week on Monday morning. The kids all returned to their respective schools as Ann & I headed back to work. It got colder as the day went on and by the time I exercised that night, it was snowing! In fact, it snowed all night and into the next morning. I couldn’t complain as Ann & I both said we were ready for snow now that we have the tree up. We both had fast days at work. I walked about three miles at the mall due to the cold, wet weather. We left town a little early for Luke’s next basketball game. This time we made it on time to see the freshman Pirates battle Rushville. It was a close game. Luke started again at forward and played about half the game but was oddly missing at the end of the game when it really counted. I would think you’d want your starters in during crunch time, when it really counts so I’m not sure why the coach only had two or three of his starters in down the stretch. The game went right down the end when Grayson hit a free throw with under two seconds left in regulation to win the game! The frosh team record now stands at 1-1. Luke’s stats: Offensively, he had 5 points on 2-6 shooting from the field and 1-3 from the stripe to go along with an assist in his limited time. He also had 2 rebounds, a steal and 2 forced TOs on the defensive side of the court. We came home and ate up the rest of the Thanksgiving leftovers for dinner – except Ann, who doesn’t like leftovers. She had popcorn for the first time since she broke her tooth – she still needs to get that fixed. I ended up staying up too late watching Stargate SG-1 and trying to recover a few deleted photos from my phone with no avail. Why does my Note 8 not have a deleted folder for pix?? Here are pictures from Luke’s season-opening basketball game against Connersville last week.

lp18.12.01 lbcs18.00 lbcs18.01 lbcs18.02 lbcs18.03 lbcs18.04 lbcs18.05 lbcs18.06 lbcs18.07 lbcs18.08 lbcs18.09 lbcs18.10 lbcs18.11 lbcs18.12 lbcs18.12a lbcs18.13 lbcs18.14 lbcs18.15 lbcs18.16 lbcs18.17 lbcs18.18 lbcs18.19 lbcs18.20 lbcs18.21 lbcs18.22 lbcs18.23 lbcs18.24 lbcs18.25 lbcs18.26 lbcs18.27

Tuesday was cold. We had snow and ice on the roads on our way into work and school. Luke hoped for a delay but the roads weren’t bad at all. It snowed all day but we received no accumulation. It was an extremely busy day for me at work and a fast day for Ms. Ann. Luke had school then went to basketball practice. I walked a 5K at the mall due to it being in the low 20s after work. Luke & I ran over to Mom & Sandy’s house for a little while to install a rod that would allow them to hang all fifteen stockings on it without falling. I brought home a bowl of Mom O’s bean soup for dinner that was outstanding. We enjoyed a quiet night that allowed Ann & I to get caught up on our DVR’d shows while cat-napping.

It finally stopped snowing on Wednesday morning, but when the clouds moved out, so did our insulation. We started the day with temps in the teens. We did see the sun but it barely got above freezing. It was another long day at work for both Ann & I. I had a good checkup with my heart doctor, who took me off one of my meds. I walked a 5K at the mall due to the cold again. Luke had a fast day at school and basketball practice. We finished up all the other leftovers for dinner. We had another quiet night as I edited pictures on the couch while trying to stay warm under blankets with the dogs. Worn-out from work, Ann & I took turns napping as we watched more of our DVR’d favorites. Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis18.12.01 sis18.12.02 sis18.12.03 sis18.12.04 sis18.12.05 sis18.12.06 sis18.12.07 sis18.12.08 sis18.12.09 sis18.12.10 sis18.12.11 sis18.12.12 sis18.12.13 sis18.12.14 sis18.12.15 sis18.12.16 sis18.12.17 sis18.12.18 sis18.12.19 sis18.12.20 sis18.12.21 sis18.12.22 sis18.12.23 sis18.12.24 sis18.12.25 sis18.12.26 sis18.12.27 sis18.12.28 sis18.12.29 sis18.12.30 sis18.12.31 sis18.12.32 sis18.12.33 sis18.12.34 sis18.12.35 sis18.12.36 sis18.12.37 sis18.12.38 sis18.12.39 sis18.12.40 sis18.12.41 sis18.12.42 sis18.12.43 sis18.12.44 sis18.12.45 sis18.12.46 sis18.12.47 sis18.12.48 sis18.12.49 sis18.12.50 sis18.12.51 sis18.12.52 sis18.12.53 sis18.12.54 sis18.12.55 sis18.12.56 sis18.12.57 sis18.12.58 sis18.12.59 sis18.12.60 sis18.12.61 sis18.12.62

Thursday was another cold day. We had a foggy start to yet another fast day for Ann & I. The weeks are really flying by now, as they always seem to do at this point in the year. The first and last weeks of the month are always busy for me. I got in another three miles at the mall after work then we left early to travel to North Decatur High School for Luke’s next freshman basketball game. It was our first away game of the year. Luke started at forward again and played a little over half the game – maybe 2/3 of it. It was another exciting ball game – a contest that didn’t need to be so close. If the coach would just play his starters for the majority of the game and stick with them, we could’ve probably beat these guys by 20. You can see it on the video… When we would start to build a lead of six points or so and Luke would start getting into the flow of the game, he and/or other starters would go out and the bench would play roughly the same amount of time. I do think it’s good to get all the boys some playing time, but I’m not sure what his goal is for the year…surely it isn’t to win every game? Now perhaps he is still trying to find rotations that work, but again Luke was curiously absent from the floor down the stretch and didn’t see a single minute of PT in OT. Granted, he has plenty of room to improve, but no more than any of the other boys. Thankfully, he continues to progress in his skills and is figuring out his role on the team. In the end, the boys pulled it out, 44-40 to go 2-1 on the season and retain bragging rights for the county for another year. Luke’s stats: No points on 0-1 shooting with an assist and a TO on offense. Defensively, he had 5 boards and forced 3 turnovers. We ran Luke thru BK for a quick meal then I headed out to the Sunken Boat Bar for Poker Night where we had lots of great food (Bryan’s carb-free almond crusted pizza, Bob’s homemade jalapeno jelly, Rick’s jalapeno-stuffed mushrooms, and other goodies – yum!), a good football game (the Cowboys somehow beat the Saints with some great defense), many good spirits (I found a Scotch I like) and of course lots of cards and laughs with good friends. Everyone made it (except Pat again) that night, which added to the merriment. We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp18.12.01 smp18.12.02 smp18.12.03 smp18.12.04 smp18.12.05 smp18.12.06 smp18.12.07 smp18.12.08 smp18.12.09 smp18.12.10 smp18.12.11 smp18.12.12 smp18.12.13 smp18.12.14 smp18.12.15 smp18.12.16 smp18.12.17 smp18.12.18 smp18.12.19 smp18.12.20 smp18.12.21 smp18.12.22 smp18.12.23 smp18.12.24 smp18.12.25 smp18.12.26

We enjoyed a warmer start to the day on Friday. It was a long, tiring day at work for me with monthly EOC rounds. I enjoyed Face-timing (well, Duo-ing) with Abby at work a couple times. Justin treated me to lunch, which was cool. I got a late start to my 3-mile walk outdoors. It was the first time I’ve been able to get outdoors in about 10 days or so. It was in the 50s when I started but as the sun set, the temps quickly dropped and by the time I finished, it was barely in the 30s! I ran a few errands afterward then made my way home. Luke had a good day at school. He had basketball practice and then attended the varsity basketball game that evening. I was wiped-out and fell asleep on the couch only after a few minutes of sitting down to talk to Annie. She woke me a couple times then I went to bed when she took away my remote. Abby had a philanthropic event with her Pi Phi sisters that night. Matt worked as an usher at the Pan Am Pavilion in downtown Indy at a One Republic concert. It rained overnight which allowed me to sleep like a baby. Here are pictures from Thanksgiving Day last week.

td18.01 td18.02 td18.03 td18.04 td18.05 td18.06 td18.07 td18.08 td18.09 td18.10 td18.11 td18.12 td18.13 td18.14 td18.15 td18.16 td18.17 td18.18 td18.19 td18.20 td18.21 td18.22 td18.23 td18.24 td18.25 td18.26 td18.27 td18.28 td18.29 td18.30 td18.31 td18.32 td18.33 td18.34 td18.35 td18.36 td18.37 td18.38 td18.39 td18.40 td18.41 td18.42 td18.43 td18.44 td18.45 td18.46 td18.47 td18.48 td18.49 td18.50 td18.51 td18.52 td18.53 td18.54 td18.55 td18.56 td18.57 td18.58 td18.59 td18.60 td18.61 td18.62 td18.63 td18.64 td18.65

We woke up to a rainy Saturday morning. Having fallen asleep early last night, it was no wonder that I got up early and took care of the dogs, letting Ann & Luke sleep in. It was supposed to be a very busy day for us, but that’s not how it played out. Luke was supposed to play in his third game of the week, but Waldron cancelled it due to not having enough players to field a team. I honestly wonder how long that school will even be open. We had also scheduled a family photo session – something we haven’t had since Luke was in diapers. It was scheduled to be shot outdoors by the same photographer that did Abby’s senior pictures at the Bohman Christmas Tree Farm. But the nasty weather caused her to cancel it, meaning we didn’t get to see the older kids as we had originally planned. It rained all morning but it finally stopped in the afternoon. I spent the day editing pictures and watching a couple Purdue basketball games. The #19 Boilers lost a tough game to #15 FSU in the ACC/Big 10 Challenge. It was a great game with horrible officiating – especially at the end of the game and the Boilers came up one point short. Later, Luke & I watched them get destroyed by #7 Michigan. Well, we watched most of the game before turning it off in disgust. Ann met Abby in Columbus about mid-afternoon and they went Christmas shopping until well after dark. Meanwhile, Luke & I went to the YMCA to practice his free throws. Apparently, Coach told him that’s the reason he isn’t finishing games. He’s always been a good free throw shooter through the years but obviously isn’t making them at practices. So, he is going to get in extra free throw practice for the rest of the season by staying afterward each night to get in 100 shots. Gma has agreed to run him to the Y if he isn’t able to stay due to a game or whatever. That afternoon, we went the YMCA and shot 100 free throws each. We did 10 sets of 10 in a competition to see who could hit more. In the end, he beat me and I had to buy lunch. We ran a couple errands then went to lunch at BK where we took advantage of their chicken nuggets sale. After killing-off a pile of nuggets, we came home and finished bagging up the rest of the leaves in the front lawn and settled in to review game film and do stats from his two games this week. Luke ended up going to the Fieldhouse to play basketball with Tyler and his friends later on and then he ended up staying the night over at Tyler’s house. Ann came back, exhausted from her excursion and ended up sleeping in her chair most of the night. Here are pictures from us putting up the Christmas tree last week.

xt18.01 xt18.02 xt18.03 xt18.04 xt18.05 xt18.06 xt18.07 xt18.08 xt18.09 xt18.10 xt18.11 xt18.12 xt18.13 xt18.14 xt18.15 xt18.16 xt18.17 xt18.18 xt18.19 xt18.20 xt18.21 xt18.22 xt18.23 xt18.24 xt18.25 xt18.26 xt18.27 xt18.28 xt18.29 xt18.30 xt18.31 xt18.32 xt18.33 xt18.34 xt18.35 xt18.36 xt18.37 xt18.38 xt18.39 xt18.40 xt18.41 xt18.42 xt18.43 xt18.44 xt18.45 xt18.46 xt18.47 xt18.48 xt18.49 xt18.50 xt18.51 xt18.52 xt18.53 xt18.54 xt18.55 xt18.56 xt18.57 xt18.58 xt18.59 xt18.60 xt18.61 xt18.62 xt18.63 xt18.64 xt18.65

With all the kids out of the house, the dogs got Ann & I up early. I went ahead and stayed up with them and let Annie sleep in and nurse those aching knees from all that shopping yesterday. I watched a couple great Stevie Ray Vaughn documentaries on AXS TV, some classic sci-fi on Comet TV and made breakfast before eventually getting around to weekly household chores. It was a surprisingly warm day near 60…but it wouldn’t last. As the afternoon progressed, it got chillier and it was forecast to be only in the 30s tomorrow. That’s the thing about Indiana…if you don’t like the weather, just give it a day! We spent the day watching the Colts lose a tough game on a BS call at the end of the game and then several games on Red Zone went right down to the last play of the game. Luke came back from Tyler’s house around lunchtime and knocked out several more hours of his Driver’s Ed class. He has about ¾ of the class finished and we are waiting for the school to get back with us to set up his driving lessons. That evening, we went out to the high school for the annual football banquet. This year, they didn’t do chicken from Koch’s and instead opted for pizza. We sat with our friends the Nobbes, Bainbridges and Lowes. Cole earned all-conference honorable mention for safety and Eric earned MVP for special teams. They didn’t hand out varsity letters, but I don’t think Luke played enough to earn one. He did make the stats list on offense and defense. He was recognized for being on the JV team but did not win either of the awards. We came home and watched a little TV on the big screen before calling it a week. It was a relaxing way to put a wrap on the long week…

Next up is our Waybac section which has a few more pictures from our #16 photo album with pictures of our family in 2003. We lead off this week in Indy again for more Monster Jam pix in January; Matt and Abby opening Hot Wheels at Matt’s birthday party in March; 4th of July fun in Greensburg; and Abby’s birthday party with her, Pace, Matt & Brayton at pour home in September. We have enough photos for only one or two more entries, so I’ll be headed back to the scanner in the next week or so…

Waybac.2003.01.mj67 Waybac.2003.01.mj68 Waybac.2003.01.mj69 Waybac.2003.01.mj70 Waybac.2003.03.mbdp43 Waybac.2003.03.mbdp44 Waybac.2003.03.mbdp45 Waybac.2003.03.mbdp46 Waybac.2003.07.fojp50 Waybac.2003.07.fojp51 Waybac.2003.07.fojp52 Waybac.2003.07.fojp53 Waybac.2003.09.abd57 Waybac.2003.09.abd58 Waybac.2003.09.abd59 Waybac.2003.09.abd60

Next up is our video section which includes one new family home movie this week and several from around the internet.

And that does it for this week’s entry of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply