As Long as I Remember…The Rain’s been Comin’ Down

I’m not sure how much rain we received this week, but I’m pretty sure it rained every day. The weather was all over the place – severe thunderstorm warnings, flash flooding, flood warnings; we went from heat and humidity to fog and lower temps, allowing us to go from having the air on to opening up the house later in the week. We said goodbye to spring and welcomed summer this week – maybe now we can dry out a little? We spent a lot of time with all the kids this week, which is always a good thing for Ann & I. When we have the kids around us, the house and family feel whole again and all is right in the world. Matt stayed with us a few days, spent a lot of time with Taylor and worked part time at the old folks’ home. He is still working on transferring up to Greenwood and studying for his teacher’s license. Abby worked full time at Wings & Rings all week and got to spend time with Megan and Garrett. Luke continued to be a three-sport athlete with football practices, a football game, a baseball game and basketball practices. Unfortunately, with being this busy there are bound to be conflicts. This week, he had to make some tough decisions and may have to next week as well. Ann noticeably got around better this week. She continues to lose weight and is moving faster (well, in a relative way). She is also more agile as well and we’ve seen her leave the cane behind a couple times when walking around the house! I met my exercise goal of walking fifteen miles this week. I also lost a few pounds and my glucose numbers were the lowest they’ve been in months. But the big news of the week was the Sweet Sixteen party for our baby this weekend…damn, we’re old… Hello again and welcome back to the Scheu Family Blog.

It was back to work for Ann, Matt, Abby & I on Monday. Luke had to be up early as well for basketball practice. That day summed up the whole week – in a word; rainy. We drove Barney to work all week, as Black Betty’s rear tires are worn to the point of the belts showing on the insides. Ann had a stressful day at work. I had a fast one myself then Justin & I walked about three miles on a humid afternoon. Just as we finished, it began raining again and turned into a full-blown storm as Annie and I drove home. It stormed all night. Abby worked at Wings & Rings until late, but the precipitation kept the big crowds away that evening. Luke had basketball workouts then later went to football practice. Matt worked at Aspen Place. I scanned pictures from our photo album #18 – which our final one. I’ve already located a couple more stashes of pictures that I want to get scanned-in after we work through these. The album was only half-full, so it will go fast. It’s a real hodge-podge of pix, but they’re mostly from 2004. I finished scanning out in the family room, woke-up Ann and we went straight to bed – wiped out from the long day. Here are pictures of Luke’s baseball game last week at South Decatur high school.

lp19.06.04 lcbsd19.01 lcbsd19.02 lcbsd19.03 lcbsd19.04 lcbsd19.05 lcbsd19.06 lcbsd19.07 lcbsd19.08 lcbsd19.09 lcbsd19.10 lcbsd19.11 lcbsd19.12 lcbsd19.13 lcbsd19.14 lcbsd19.15 lcbsd19.16 lcbsd19.17 lcbsd19.18 lcbsd19.19 lcbsd19.20 lcbsd19.21 lcbsd19.22 lcbsd19.23 lcbsd19.24 lcbsd19.25 lcbsd19.26 lcbsd19.27 lcbsd19.28 lcbsd19.29 lcbsd19.30 lcbsd19.31

Tuesday gave us a foggy ride into work. It rained in the morning but cleared nicely after lunch. Ann had a better day while I endured a long one myself. Justin & I walked three miles after work. Abby worked at Buffalo Wings & Rings that evening but during the day, she and Luke & Abby hung out and ran around town together. Abs took Lukey to his dentist appointment that morning. He had a couple of questionable spots that he needs to go back for more work next week. Later, Luke prepared to go to his baseball game as the Cubs faced Batesville for the final time this season. When Luke notified his football coach that he would miss practice to go to the game, his response made Luke stop and think. Coach said he might want to reconsider because he is, “fighting for a varsity spot” and that tonight’s practice will be an important one to prepare for the scrimmage later in the week. So, Luke decided to go to football practice instead of baseball (good move, buddy!). After Justin & I walked three miles on another hot & humid afternoon, Ann & I met up with Matt & Abby (after several texts from the kids which hinted that they wanted to go to a certain place) at home and we all rode out to ElRep for dinner. Matt & I split a pitcher of margaritas and Abby drove us home (thx Bu!). Later, Abs picked Luke and Sam up from practice (thx again, Bu!). Addison came over later and told us that we beat Batesville like 19-1. He brought over the pictures from Mr. Abrell from both the Cubs as well as Luke’s JV baseball pictures from his website. After he left, we found Matt’s diploma (after an hour of hunting for it!) and got it mounted into the beautiful display frame that Dad & Lynn got him. Then, as I was culling photos from my phone for this week’s blog, I accidentally deleted my photo folder from my phone and lost everything! ☹ I tried for hours to recover them, but all I could muster was a few thumbnails. Thankfully, I’ve got them all backed-up on the external hard drives, but I liked having them on the phone…at least now I have more free space… Here are pictures of my recent Hot Wheels additions.

hwc19.06.53 hwc19.06.54 hwc19.06.55 hwc19.06.56 hwc19.06.57 hwc19.06.58 hwc19.06.59 hwc19.06.60 hwc19.06.63 hwc19.06.64 hwc19.06.62

We had another foggy commute on Wednesday morning…and turned into yet another rainy day. My workday was fast me but poor Ann had meeting after meeting. I ran her back and forth to her meetings and then Justin and I walked a 5K in the early afternoon so he could leave. I went back to work as it started rain. Poor Justin could barely get to and from his house due to all the flooding in that part of the county. He said the traffic was so bad right now that it takes about 45 minutes to get home. It poured all the way home that evening. Luke had basketball practice that morning then he and Abby bathed our grubby dogs that day! Man, they really needed it. Abby worked second shift at BWR that evening. Matt worked at Aspen Place early and then went over to Gma & Gigi’s house to hang out with them before heading back up to Indy to stay with Ms. Taylor. He left us the nicest note on our desk and later texted us a very sweet message that made Ann cry. Luke drove he & I out to Walmart to get food and supplies for that evening. Ann made taco salad for dinner and we watched a couple shows on the big screen, enjoying our time in the A/C. Here are random pictures from our recent adventurs.

sis19.06.112 sis19.06.113 sis19.06.114 sis19.06.115 sis19.06.116 sis19.06.117 sis19.06.118 sis19.06.119 sis19.06.120 sis19.06.121 sis19.06.122 sis19.06.123 sis19.06.124 sis19.06.125 sis19.06.126 sis19.06.127 sis19.06.128 sis19.06.129 sis19.06.130 sis19.06.131 sis19.06.132 sis19.06.133 sis19.06.134 sis19.06.135 sis19.06.136 sis19.06.137 sis19.06.138 sis19.06.139 sis19.06.140 sis19.06.141 sis19.06.142 sis19.06.143 sis19.06.144 sis19.06.145 sis19.06.146 sis19.06.147 sis19.06.148 sis19.06.149 sis19.06.150 sis19.06.151 sis19.06.152 sis19.06.153 sis19.06.154 sis19.06.155 sis19.06.156 sis19.06.166 sis19.06.167 sis19.06.168 sis19.06.169 sis19.06.170 sis19.06.171 sis19.06.172 sis19.06.173 sis19.06.174 sis19.06.175 sis19.06.176 sis19.06.177 sis19.06.178 sis19.06.179

Thursday was a cooler day. We opened-up the house, even though it rained all morning. Justin & I went to China Buffet for lunch while my contractor guy had Cummins in to fix the generator, once and for all. I got my new Orbi network up and running properly, which was a big win for me. After work, Justin & I walked a 5K and even jogged for about two minutes (total). Abby worked at BWR then had Megan over. Luke went to a football scrimmage, early in the afternoon. Ann & I left work early and drove to New Albany for the football event. Although Luke told us it started at six, it actually started an hour earlier, so we missed a little over a half hour of action. Luke subbed-in for varsity at middle linebacker. He started second-string middle linebacker on defense and fullback on offense. Luke got home a couple hours after us with Oak & Shack in tow. But they were only here for a few moments before they all went out and spent the night at the Best’s Farm.

Friday was officially the first day of summer and it flew by. Ann & I got haircuts with Jami at noon. I walked while Ann got hers done and got in about a mile. We stopped for a burger at Five Guys on the way home and ran into my old kitchen manager at work, Pam. We talked for about an hour before heading on our way. Meanwhile, Luke & Abby went out and bought cheeseburgers at the store then came home and cooked them on our gas grill. Luke did a fine job in his first time as Grill Master. When we got home, I had planned to work from home for a few hours. But when Abby went to work at Wings & Rings, Luke & I ended up taking Black Betty to Five Points for new tires. Thankfully, we were able to do just two tires again, despite it being an all-wheel vehicle. The owner said it was a good decision to not drive it to work this week, as the right-side tire was ready to let go at any time… When we got back, we ended up mowing / trimming due to the threat of rain that evening and all weekend. So we quickly knocked out our lawn, loaded up Betty White and did the same at Mom & Sandy’s house. Luke won’t even let me drive my truck anymore. I must say though; he has got the hang of it and did very well with his driving that evening. We got home just before it started pouring. That evening, Luke had Oakley and Addison over to hang out in the family room. Annie ordered pizzas for dinner and we relaxed with the dogs, watching our DVR’d shows on the big screen. After dinner, the boys came out to sit and talk with us for a while. They were funny; telling us stories for a couple hours about their experiences at school – Ann & I really got a kick out of it! It’s funny how much older they seemed, sitting there and sharing stories. Addison went home that night but Oakley ended up spending the night with Luke. We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp19.06.135 smp19.06.136 smp19.06.137 smp19.06.138 smp19.06.139 smp19.06.140 smp19.06.141 smp19.06.142 smp19.06.143 smp19.06.144 smp19.06.145 smp19.06.146 smp19.06.147 smp19.06.148 smp19.06.149 smp19.06.150 smp19.06.151 smp19.06.152 smp19.06.153 smp19.06.154 smp19.06.155 smp19.06.156 smp19.06.157 smp19.06.158 smp19.06.159 smp19.06.160 smp19.06.161 smp19.06.162 smp19.06.163

I was up early on Saturday morning with the dogs on a rainy morning. Ann joined me a couple hours later to watch some DVR’d shows. Oak went home as Luke slept in until about 2! Ann & I took naps as we watched another SVU marathon. We went to Ms. Apple’s retirement party at the old Billings school that afternoon. It was nice, but I can’t believe she’s actually retiring – I always assumed she’d teach forever! We came back and Luke drove he & I out to run errands and grab some Taco Bell for dinner. Abby worked first shift at BWR then met Garrett, back at our home. We did our weekly household chores and took it easy that evening. Bu & Garrett went out for dinner at ElRep. Luke went to Mom & Sandy’s to dog-sit while they went out to dinner with Susan & Casey at ElRep. Later that night, Abby & Garrett drove to Shelbyville to pickup Megan and Heather and bring them home safely. I stayed up late to wait for them and watch the rest of the SVU marathon until like 3 am! Garrett and Megan ended up sleeping in Abby’s room for the night and were really loud, waking up Ann.

We finally enjoyed sleeping in on Sunday morning. The girls ran to the new Dunkin’ store for coffee and donuts. Megan went home and we watched the taped women’s USA soccer game vs. Sweden – which they won 2-0 to move on to the Sweet 16 “knockout” round of the tourney. Ann & Bu went to a grad party for a little bit. Later, we got the house cleaned-up and Mary brought over Luke’s cake. That afternoon, we had Luke’s birthday party. We had Mom & Sandy (and Pixie) over along with Phyllis & Dick. Dee, Jamie & Grace were able to make it over and Matt & Taylor came down as well. Abby & Garrett were here, of course, as well. Thanks to Matt for helping me by taking pictures. We had an especially horrible rendition of the Birthday Song for Luke because he asked us if we HAD to sing to him…so he deserved it. Jamie, the kids and I returned to the living room after eating cake and ice cream to watch the Reds on the big screen while the “adults” stayed in the kitchen and chatted for about an hour. Luke got to open one present today. It was the tiles for his keys and wallet. As he was trying to program the first one, he dropped it and it went down into the couch. When he went to grab it, he pushed it farther and farther until it went down into the arm – between the wood pieces of the framework. We tried for about a half hour to get it out, including turning the couch upside down – but to no avail. I’m afraid it’s gone; there’s just no way to get it back out now. He was pretty bummed about it… After everyone left, we ran to Kirsten’s grad party after the severe thunderstorm warning was lifted (of course it had to rain today!). Abby & Garrett drove separately to the party then went up to Indy to pick-up some workout powder stuff while Luke stayed home with Matt & Taylor. They helped Ann in the kitchen as they prepared Luke’s birthday meal. This year, he requested jalapeno popper dip, buffalo chicken dip and buffalo chicken wings. They also made a big salad and Ann made her homemade Shallo’s ranch dip/dressing. After dinner, Matt & Taylor had to take off. Abby & Garrett got back only moments after they left and ate dinner. It wasn’t long afterward that Garrett had to head home as well. Ann & I napped with the NASCAR road race on TV. I love road courses and wish they’d bring back more. It was Daryl Waltrip’s final race as an announcer. I’ll miss his, “Boogity, boogity, boogity” at the start of the races. We wrapped up the week by watching Feat the Walking Dead before going to bed and calling it a week.

Next up is our Waybac section. We have the first round from our final photo album (#18) before we went completely digital. We lead off this week with pictures of Megan from May, 2002; then we see Abby at her first Dixon Dance Revue in May 2004; next we head to Panama City Beach for Ann and her girls form work on their annual “retreat” in May 2004; then we have a picture of the little circus that came to Greensburg a few years in a row in June 2004; next is the folder for one of our Disney ride photos in May 2004; Grace’s birthday party in July 2004; Matt’s classroom picture in September 2004; Alex at Crysti’s house in September 2004; then we have Tammi’s kids Leila & Austin and then Rob and his then-girlfriend and her daughter – all Trick-or-Treating at Mom & Dad’s house in Rossville in October 2004; next we have a great picture of Mom and Uncle Dan, together with the Bryan kids’ significant others (Jake, Steph and Rob’s GF) in December 2004; and we wrap up this batch with a couple Christmas cards from December 2004.

Waybac.2002.05.m2mo1 Waybac.2002.06.m2mo2 Waybac.2004.05.addr01 Waybac.2004.05.addr02 Waybac.2004.05.addr03 Waybac.2004.05.addr04 Waybac.2004.05.awr01 Waybac.2004.05.awr02 Waybac.2004.05.awr03 Waybac.2004.05.awr04 Waybac.2004.06.gc01 Waybac.2004.06.wdw565 Waybac.2004.07.gbdp01 Waybac.2004.07.gbdp02 Waybac.2004.07.gbdp03 Waybac.2004.07.gbdp04 Waybac.2004.09,nspp Waybac.2004.09.kach01 Waybac.2004.10.hamad1 Waybac.2004.10.hamad2 Waybac.2004.10.hamad3 Waybac.2004.12.bfc01 Waybac.2004.12.xc01 Waybac.2004.12.xc02

We wrap up this entry with our video section, which features one new home movie this week as well as several from around the interent.

And that does it for this week’s episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply