…Wrestling in the Bones with Confetti in her Hair

I’m not sure how much precipitation we received this week, but it rained every day and even snowed a couple times. If I didn’t know better, I’d swear we were in Washington or England. It was yucky outside all week long. Ya know, if it’s going to be cold and wet…it may as well snow at this point in the season! We all had good weeks. Matt worked full time at Zionsville West Middle School, teaching special education and coaching the wrestling team. We did not get to see him this week – the first time in several weeks. Abby had a busy week of classes at Franklin College. Not only did she spend her time studying and going to classes, but she also spent a lot of time with her Greek Life activities as well. We did get to see her briefly this week. Luke is keeping his grades up at GCHS. He had wrestling all week, including the first match of his high school career. We got to see more of him this week. Ann continues to do great with her knees as she moved on to the next phase of her recovery this week. I fell short of my exercise goal with only about 12 miles of walking this week. I lost eleven pounds in the first three days of the week but gained most of it back in the second half. I enjoyed spending a little time with friends this week. I have to admit that it was good to be back inside watching our kids play sports. We weren’t sure if we’d be sitting on bleachers in stinky gyms this year, but there we were this week…and it felt great! Hello again and welcome back to the Scheu Family Blog.

We had a cool, wet and dreary start to our week on Monday morning. Ann & I breezed through easy days at work then I walked a 5K outdoors in the elements. Luke said he had a good day at school then went on to a grueling wrestling practice. We had a quiet night, enjoying Fireworks popcorn for dinner. Judy from work gave Ann her elliptical and her husband Andy delivered it that night after he finished refereeing a basketball game that evening. Luke helped me carry it in and set it up in the family room before he turned in early, tuckered out from his long day. I finally got a chance to do Luke’s stats for not only this 2019 football season, but the previous two sport seasons as well – including his 2019 baseball season stats and his 2018 – 2019 basketball stats as well. I also got Luke’s wresting schedule on our calendar as well that evening so we can start planning our next three months. Ann & I fell asleep watching DVR’d shows with the dogs. Luke’s football season stats (combined JV & varsity): 22 games for a 13-9 record. Offensively, he played SB, TE, HB & FB totaling 3 rushes for 2 yds and 3 pass receptions for 92 yds as well as 7 pancakes. Defensively, he played all three linebacker positions with 57 solo tackles, 11 assisted tackles, 4 tackles for loss, 1 batted ball, 12 QB knockdowns/hurries, 1 forced fumble, 1 interception and 3 fumble recoveries. On special teams, he played K and P as well as on the KO, KOR, PR, PT, FG & PAT teams. He had 13 kicks totaling 483 yds and had 13 kick returns for 172 yds, including 1 onside kick recovery, 1 fair catch and 1 muffed return for the only turnover for the season. He had a total of 266 yds from scrimmage. Going back to baseball season, his combined season stats (JV, freshman & rec league): He played 30 games for a 16-14 record. He had 67 at-bats with 22 hits and 13 walks for a season batting avg of .407. He had 2 doubles, 4 triples and a home run. He also had a sacrifice and was hit by a pitch. He totaled 27 stolen bases, batted in 26 runs and scored 20 times. He recorded 40 putouts and 6 assists – including throwing out one runner from behind the plate who was trying to steal 2nd base. He had 3 errors and was ejected from one game when he plowed the catcher to score a run. His pitching stats: 7 innings, facing 40 batters. He struck out 7 and walked 20, including 5 plunks. He gave up 2 hits and 17 runs – but only 2 were earned. He had a 1-0 record with 1 save. His ERA was 2.57. He played 1B, DH, RF, LF, CF, P, C and 3B. Going all the way back to the previous sport, his freshman basketball stats for the year: he played in 11 games with a 4-7 record. He played PF and C, scoring 34 points on 11-31 shooting from the field including 0-3 from behind the arc and 12-18 from the stripe. He had 7 assists and 14 turnovers. Defensively, he had 40 rebounds plus 12 tip-outs. He forced 17 turnovers, had 8 steals and recorded 6 blocks. He committed a total of 26 fouls but fouled-out of only one game. He truly had a successful 2019 sports season. Here are pictures of Luke (and Drew) from Mr. Abrell’s website. I need to get on there and place an order soon!

lp19.11.04 awls19.01 awls19.02 awls19.03 awls19.04 awls19.05 awls19.06 awls19.07 awls19.08 awls19.09 awls19.10 awls19.11 awls19.12 awls19.13 awls19.14 awls19.15 awls19.16 awls19.17 awls19.18 awls19.19 awls19.20 awls19.21 awls19.22 awls19.23 awls19.24 awls19.25 awls19.26 awls19.27 awls19.28 awls19.29 awls19.30 awls19.31 awls19.32 awls19.33 awls19.34 awls19.35 awls19.36 awls19.37 awls19.38 awls19.39 awls19.40 awls19.41 awls19.42 awls19.43 awls19.44

Tuesday was another cold, wet, gloomy day. But it was another good day for Ann & I. She had lunch with a friend and I walked 2 ½ miles at the mall because it was just too rainy. Luke had a long day of school then went to wrestling practice again. Afterward, he picked up Oakley and they went on to the girls’ basketball game until late. Ann & I ran to the grocery store after work and she made quiche for dinner. Later, she had her first workout on the elliptical! Way to go, Annie! I finally got around to watching the Walking Dead from this weekend along with the season finale of AHS 1984, the new Rick & Morty episode. Here are pictures from Mom O’s birthday party last weekend.

mobp19.01 mobp19.02 mobp19.03 mobp19.04 mobp19.05 mobp19.06 mobp19.07 mobp19.08 mobp19.09 mobp19.10 mobp19.11 mobp19.12 mobp19.13 mobp19.14 mobp19.15 mobp19.16 mobp19.17 mobp19.18 mobp19.19 mobp19.20 mobp19.21 mobp19.22 mobp19.23 mobp19.24 mobp19.25 mobp19.26 mobp19.27 mobp19.28

Wednesday held yet another cold, bleak day. Thankfully, it was a fast one for me. I had a doctor’s appointment with the gastroenterology dept at CRH. It was a just a planning meeting for my colonoscopy in 2020. Happy New Year to me! Abby came to Columbus to go to her doctor appointment then went to Ann’s office. She is doing much better now, other than a high heart rate still. Her doctor wants her to wear a heart monitor for a couple weeks to see what’s going on. I spoke to her briefly on her way back up to school and she was in good spirits. I went to lunch with Justin & Vic and then walked three miles outside in the cold. Ann had a fast day, working up front for a while. We ran errands and then had a clean-out-the-fridge night for dinner. Luke had a fast day at school then went to wrestling practice, where he competed for a starting position at 195 with Alex. He ended up losing by one point. He had a chance to challenge for 220 but he was completely gassed and decided to just wrestle 285 at the meet this week, unless one of the other boys can’t go at a lower weight class. He went out to dinner with his buddies before coming home and talking to us for a quite a while. I got Matt all set up with his student loan websites so he could take over payments next month. Ann & I took it easy and tried to keep warm with the dogs that evening, napping and watching our recorded shows while I edited pictures for this week’s blog entry. Here are pictures we recently discovered on a Batesville photographer’s Facebook site, named Rich Fowler. I glanced through thousands of pictures but haven’t been through everything yet. Here is what I’ve found so far – this guy has a great eye! I need to see if I can buy photos off him because I really like several of these…

rfls19.01 rfls19.02 rfls19.03 rfls19.04 rfls19.05 rfls19.06 rfls19.07 rfls19.08 rfls19.09 rfls19.10 rfls19.11 rfls19.12 rfls19.13 rfls19.14 rfls19.15 rfls19.16 rfls19.17 rfls19.18 rfls19.19 rfls19.20 rfls19.21 rfls19.22 rfls19.23 rfls19.24 rfls19.25 rfls19.26 rfls19.27 rfls19.28 rfls19.29 rfls19.30 rfls19.31 rfls19.32 rfls19.33 rfls19.34 rfls19.35 rfls19.36 rfls19.37 rfls19.38 rfls19.39 rfls19.40 rfls19.41 rfls19.42 rfls19.43 rfls19.44 rfls19.45 rfls19.46

Guess what kind of day we had on Thursday? Yep; another dark, wet day. Ann & I endured long days at work. Although it was busy, the day just dragged… I walked another three miles outdoors in the cold drizzle. We ran to the store to get supplies after work. Ann made her delicious sausage dip for me to take to Card Night that evening. I spoke to Bu again that morning for quite a while as I got to work. She was excited about her upcoming weekend as it is initiation weekend for both her Pi Phis and Garrett’s Lambda Chis. She was also excited about her grades, as she had gotten a very good grade on a paper. Luke had school and wrestling practice again that day. Afterward, he ran around with his buddies until late. Meanwhile, I went over to the Sunken Boat Bar to meet up with the boys and watch the Colts game. That evening, I was happy to see another good turnout: Bryan, Shawn, Alan, Rick, & Pat. Only Bob was busy that evening with basketball. As with all our get-togethers, there was more than just cards – we had great food (including Shawn’s baked chicken wings and smiles, Pat brought yummy deer sausage and spicy cheese – along with some amazingly suspicious hot sauce in a vial, Bryan had meat/cheese roll-ups…well he had a plateful before Drew got into them [thanks for leaving us a few, pal!], Ann’s zesty sausage dip that got demolished and Rick’s pickle roll-ups [I forget what crazy name he gave them]), plenty of spirits (mostly bourbon and scotch that evening) and of course lots of stories and laughs. The game itself was entertaining as well…the Colts should’ve won but found a way to lose again and now are no longer leading the division. They have a tough schedule ahead of them, so it will be interesting to see how they do in the second half of the season. It was a great to get together and cut loose for a few hours with the guys… Here are pictures of recent additions to my Hot Wheels collection.

hwc19.11.40 hwc19.11.41 hwc19.11.42 hwc19.11.43 hwc19.11.44 hwc19.11.45 hwc19.11.46 hwc19.11.47 hwc19.11.48 hwc19.11.49 hwc19.11.50 hwc19.11.51 hwc19.11.52 hwc19.11.53 hwc19.11.54

Friday was another dark, wet start to the day. Luke was up early and out the door without any prompts to go meet up with his guys for breakfast before school. He had a good day and then met up with the wrestling team and travelled to his first meet of the year (and his first since he was like 7 or 8). Ann & I had fast days at work, leaving when her office closed at noon. We went to Jami’s for haircuts afterward. While waiting for Ann to get done, I walked over to Best Buy to get my replacement screen put on my phone (this is like my 4th, I think). I hate this curved screen. I sincerely hope they stop making them like this so I can go back to my Otterbox having a front cover on it. They did say that I will no longer need to go through the Zagg website for any future replacements. Instead, I can now get them free at Best Buy again. We stopped at Five Guys for a quick lunch before we left town and then ran past the vet on our way home to get more meds for Ms. Molly. We also filled up the car with gas before the prices go up for the holiday (as they always do each year). I used the new BPme app again. I kind of like it… It’s easy to use and saved us $.10 on the gallon. We were pleasantly surprised that the sun actually came out that afternoon for several hours! We didn’t have much time to relax at home before we were changing, packing up and heading out to the Lowe’s farm to meet up with Alan and Christy. We piled into their SUV and headed down to Vevay in Switzerland County for the opening night of the wresting season. It was a quad meet with SC hosting us, Madison and Salem. We faced the host team first and matched up well with them. Luke wrestled 285, giving up 50 pounds to his foe. Luke wasn’t sure what to do but fought hard, nonetheless. It will be fun to see his progression this year, as he is being thrown to the wolves, wrestling varsity right now. In the end, he lost 1-5 but the team won 42-33. In the second matchup, we faced Madison. He again wrestled 285. The one thing he couldn’t do was tie-up with these bigger, heavier guys…something he forgot for a moment. But that’s all it took and he was thrown to his back and although he tried like hell to get out from under him, the bigger guy was just too much and he was pinned in the first period. Madison would eventually win the meet overall and they easy bested us as a team as we lost 15-60 to them. After a fifteen-minute break, we faced Salem in the closing round. Luke again wrestled 285 but their wrestler could not report and so Luke won by forfeit for his first varsity win of his career! Overall, we lost again, 24-50 – mostly due to forfeits. In the end, we finished second in points to Madison, followed by Salem in third and then the host Switzerland County finished last. Luke’s record stands at 1-2 on the year, as does the team. Their next meet will be the Saturday after Thanksgiving next week. I think his siblings are going to try and make it to support him! We rode back with the Lowes to their house and came in for a nightcap. We played euchre for a couple hours and enjoyed a few cocktails while talking and laughing and singing to the country music. The boys beat the girls 2-1 for bragging rights that evening. Meanwhile, Luke ran a couple teammates home, stopped by the house to let out the dogs, grab a snack and a shower and headed out to Oakley’s house to spend the night. Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis19.11.110 sis19.11.111 sis19.11.112 sis19.11.113 sis19.11.114 sis19.11.115 sis19.11.116 sis19.11.117 sis19.11.118 sis19.11.119 sis19.11.120 sis19.11.121 sis19.11.122 sis19.11.123 sis19.11.124 sis19.11.125 sis19.11.126 sis19.11.127 sis19.11.128 sis19.11.129 sis19.11.130 sis19.11.131 sis19.11.132 sis19.11.133 sis19.11.134 sis19.11.135 sis19.11.136 sis19.11.137 sis19.11.138 sis19.11.139 sis19.11.140 sis19.11.141 sis19.11.142 sis19.11.143 sis19.11.144 sis19.11.145 sis19.11.146 sis19.11.147 sis19.11.148 sis19.11.149 sis19.11.150 sis19.11.151 sis19.11.152 sis19.11.153 sis19.11.154 sis19.11.155 sis19.11.156 sis19.11.157 sis19.11.158 sis19.11.159 sis19.11.160 sis19.11.161 sis19.11.162 sis19.11.163 sis19.11.164 sis19.11.165 sis19.11.166 sis19.11.167 sis19.11.168 sis19.11.169 sis19.11.170 sis19.11.171 sis19.11.172 sis19.11.173 sis19.11.174 sis19.11.176 sis19.11.177 sis19.11.178 sis19.11.179

With Luke out of the house overnight, the dogs were up and down while we tried to sleep. Lola peed four times on the piddle pad but by 630, they were ready to go out and so after listening to them dance and bark for a bit, I got up and let them out on Saturday morning. It had frozen overnight and was still cold when they went out. I think they peed for 30 seconds then barked for the next 10 minutes until I let them back inside. By that time, I was wide awake so I just stayed up and let Annie sleep in. It was another cold, dank, dismally overcast day. I called and woke up Luke about noon, giving him a hard time about coming home so we can rake and mow. He was not happy, whining that he was tired and sore from last night’s meet. I eventually told him we were not going to go work in the wet, 30-degree weather and that he could go back to sleep. 😊 Ann & I ordered Koch’s, who is now delivering! So, we kicked back and did as little as possible – spending the day watching DVR’d shows on the big screen while napping with the dogs. We had cheesy popcorn for dinner that really hit the spot. Luke ran around with his buddies Oakley and Kameron all day, coming home about midnight. He stayed up for several hours, playing Fortnight with his friends before finally calling it a night. We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

lfpa19.01 lfpa19.02 lfpa19.03 lfpa19.04 smp19.11.43 smp19.11.44 smp19.11.45 smp19.11.46 smp19.11.47 smp19.11.48 smp19.11.49 smp19.11.50 smp19.11.51 smp19.11.52 smp19.11.53 smp19.11.54 smp19.11.55 smp19.11.56 smp19.11.57 smp19.11.58 smp19.11.59 smp19.11.60 smp19.11.61 smp19.11.62 smp19.11.63 smp19.11.64 smp19.11.65 smp19.11.66 smp19.11.67 smp19.11.68 smp19.11.69 smp19.11.70 smp19.11.71 smp19.11.72 smp19.11.73 smp19.11.74 smp19.11.75 smp19.11.76 smp19.11.77 smp19.11.78 smp19.11.79 smp19.11.80

Ann got up early with the dogs on Sunday morning, letting me sleep in (thx babe!). I eventually got up and ran to the store to get supplies. When I got home, we started our weekly household chores. Luke got up around noon and went out with his friends for a bit, wearing my old LPHS letter jacket. To my surprise, it fit him like a glove! We settled in and enjoyed another typical Sunday – Luke played on his PS4, Ann napped and read…and I watched RedZone for seven hours of uninterrupted football. The sun actually came out that day! It was cool but pleasant. I probably should’ve gotten out and worked in the yard, but I was content to just wait till next weekend and stay inside and watch football. Later, Luke decided to rearrange and clean his room. He had Brayden and Kam over to help him. They worked on it until after dark then ran around town for a while in the Hot Rod Lincoln. They ran past the store and picked up groceries for Ann, who made dinner for us all that night. She made burrito bowls for all five of us, as Kam & Brayden stayed for dinner. Afterward, the boys went out to Grayson’s house for the evening. We watched the Cowboys lose to the Patriots but remain on top of the NFC East division. The boys came back and hung out at the house while Ann & wound down the evening watching shows on the big screen. It was a relaxing way to close out another great week before we turn around and do it all again tomorrow…

Next up is our Waybac segment which continues to feature miscellaneous photo albums. We lead off with more wedding pictures form September 1995; several wedding reception pix in September 1995; an early Owens grandchild photo session from 1997; a few ore pictures of the kids at Christy’s house in 2002; and then a couple from our Christmas photo shoot in December 2004.

Waybac.1995.09.taw12 Waybac.1995.09.taw13 Waybac.1995.09.taw14 Waybac.1995.09.taw15 Waybac.1995.09.taw16 Waybac.1995.09.tawr25 Waybac.1995.09.tawr26 Waybac.1995.09.tawr27 Waybac.1995.09.tawr28 Waybac.1995.09.tawr29 Waybac.1995.09.tawr30 Waybac.1995.09.tawr31 Waybac.1995.09.tawr32 Waybac.1995.09.tawr33 Waybac.1995.09.tawr34 Waybac.1995.09.tawr35 Waybac.1995.09.tawr36 Waybac.1997.gggm01 Waybac.2002.kach05 Waybac.2002.kach06 Waybac.2002.kach07 Waybac.2002.kach08 Waybac.2002.kach09 Waybac.2002.kach10 Waybac.2004.12.sfcps01 Waybac.2004.12.sfcps02

We wrap up with our video section which includes one new home movie this week as well as several from around the internet.

And that does it for this chapter of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply