Done, I’m Done and I’m on to The Next…

We’ve had a week of change since we last touched base. The trees were gorgeous in this part of the country, though after this windy weekend I’m not sure how many will be left. I remember making trips down to Brown County state park through the years, just to see all the colors of the trees. The weather went from wet to wetter and then to cold as the week progressed. We did not get a chance to see Matt this week, who kept busy teaching in Zionville and cooking in Carmel. I did talk to him at least, which was enough to get me by. He is getting ready for a change by working less as wrestling season begins. We got to see Abby a couple times this week. She had a full slate of classes at Franklin but managed to meet us in Columbus, to my surprise, and then came home to see Luke’s football game and stay the night. Luke had a big week. COVID impacted the school system pretty hard and by week’s end the whole county was moving towards virtual classrooms. He had a health scare that nearly held him out of his football game, which would’ve been a shame as it turned out to be the last one of his junior year. He will begin the next sport tomorrow already – which for him is wrestling. We are saddened to see the season come to an end but are so thankful that we got the entire schedule in. Still, we couldn’t help but wonder what might have been different if we hadn’t had starters miss this last game due to the Coronavirus. I learned a new term that I now hate with a passion – contact tracing. As hard as it is to say goodbye to spending Friday nights on the bleachers in the cold, we do look forward to indoor bleachers and the hope that we can get the entire season in, despite the COVID making a resurgence again. There is a lot of optimism this year with the wresting team – especially Luke. He learned so much last year in his first year…and most of the boys that beat him last year have now graduated. It could be a big year for him! Ann did much better with her back and is getting around so much better nowadays. I survived another trip around the sun this week. I enjoyed a good birthday week, spending time with friends and family and doing the things I love – football, food, alcohol, frisbee golf, music and Hot Wheels…damn, it was a good week! Hello again and welcome to the latest installment of the Scheu Family Blog.

We had a cold, damp start to the week on Monday morning. It was overcast all day then started raining, late that afternoon. It continued raining all night. I had a busy day that made the day go fast. Ann had a typical Monday as well. We were both glad to call it quits when I came to pick her up that evening. I enjoyed a cool, wet walk of about two and a half miles after work. It was good to get out and exercise. I was hoping to get in a round of frisbee golf but it was raining when we got back to town. I talked to Matt on the phone while Ann cooked dinner. Luke said football practice was pretty cold that night. We took it easy that night, watching a few shows on the DVR and napping. We enjoyed a new one with Nicole Kidman and Hugh Grant called the Undoing and the new Jessica Alba show called LA’s Finest. After being up late the last several nights, I was pleased to get to bed early, even though it meant not watching the end of the Bears game. Here are pictures of Luke’s football game last week in Charlestown.

lp20.10.05 lfcp20.01 lfcp20.02 lfcp20.03 lfcp20.04 lfcp20.05 lfcp20.06 lfcp20.07 lfcp20.08 lfcp20.09 lfcp20.10 lfcp20.11 lfcp20.12 lfcp20.13 lfcp20.14 lfcp20.15 lfcp20.16 lfcp20.17 lfcp20.18 lfcp20.19 lfcp20.20 lfcp20.21 lfcp20.23 lfcp20.24 lfcp20.25 lfcp20.26 lfcp20.27 lfcp20.28 lfcp20.29 lfcp20.30 lfcp20.31 lfcp20.32 lfcp20.33 lfcp20.34 lfcp20.35 lfcp20.36 lfcp20.37 lfcp20.38 lfcp20.39 lfcp20.40 lfcp20.41 lfcp20.42 lfcp20.43 lfcp20.44 lfcp20.45 lfcp20.46 lfcp20.47 lfcp20.48 lfcp20.49 lfcp20.50 lfcp20.51 lfcp20.52 lfcp20.53 lfcp20.54 lfcp20.55 lfcp20.56 lfcp20.57 lfcp20.58 lfcp20.59 lfcp20.60 lfcp20.61 lfcp20.62 lfcp20.63 lfcp20.64 lfcp20.65 lfcp20.66 lfcp20.67 lfcp20.68 lfcp20.69 lfcp20.70 lfcp20.71 lfcp20.72 lfcp20.73 lfcp20.74 lfcp20.75 lfcp20.76 lfcp20.77 lfcp20.78 lfcp20.79

Tuesday was Robby’s 41st birthday. I know he is working weird hours and phone coverage is wonky, so I sang him the bday song on a voice text message and sent it off early that morning before work. It was so dark and gloomy on the way to work. It was just blah and overcast all day. I don’t think it ever got above 50. I had another busy day as we continue to wrap up loose ends with the IT systems as well as try to do my normal monthly stuff. I am just now getting to my September reports that were due weeks ago and I start my October reports next week – LOL! Ann had a fast day at the office then went to CRH for a training that afternoon. I didn’t get a chance to walk after work but once we got home, I ran out to the park and played 18 holes of frisbee golf. My back started to tighten up about halfway through the first round and I wound up with a par. It loosened up after the first couple holes of the second round but by then my elbow was hurting and it started to drizzle and my disc was hard to control. I still managed a one-under-par 26. I came home Ann & I chilled-out with the dogs. Luke was very concerned about the status of his team and school in general due to the surge in COVID cases. It could definitely impact the football team. For now, we’re going on with our week with the intention of playing on Friday, but he was a little bummed at the thought of not being able to finish his season. I am too… It was pretty chilly in the house that night. It would’ve been a good evening for a fire, but I guess you need a fireplace for that – huh? Annie made Fireworks popcorn for dinner that evening. She has been getting into the Outlander books for the last several weeks and I enjoy her relating some of the areas that the show varies from the books. While she read, I watched a couple Live from Darryl’s House episodes. Later, we watched a couple more episodes of Dexter on Netflix. I began editing pictures and videos for this week’s blog for a couple hours before calling it a night.

Wednesday was yet another damp, overcast day. It began raining that evening and continued raining all night long. It was my 52nd birthday. The guys at work took me out to Five Guys for lunch. I spent the morning finishing reports and the afternoon doing my EOC rounds. It was a flurry of activity and the day absolutely flew. Ann had to call and ask if I was coming to pick her up. The day had gotten away from me and I didn’t have any time to exercise. After work, Annie treated me to dinner at the new Big Woods that opened last week in Taylorsville at the outlet mall. Abby surprised me by joining us for dinner! Ann had a couple of their Six Foot Cinnamon Blonde beers. I started with a Quaff-On “Put a Fork in It” pumpkin ale then had a traditional Bloody Mary before getting my favorite a Six-Foot Strawberry Blonde. We also took home a growler of it for this weekend as well! Abs had a Crimson Sour as well as a C.R.E.A.M. We enjoyed their pulled pork nachos and paninis. We said our goodbyes and came home the back way, through the country. It was so dark and began raining, which made it difficult. Ann wanted me to go faster because she had to pee, but old Black Betty only goes one speed – especially on the back roads! We made it home safely and poor Luke had come home before us and came into an absolute mess by the dogs. We decided then that we would be putting them back in the kitchen from now on and possibly getting them pens. To thank him, we bought him that shirt we’ve been trying to get for about four years now – the I Tapped That Quaff On shirt. 😊 Luke said he had a boring day at school and a good practice – though he was still worried about the COVID spreading in his school and thinks they may go to a virtual classroom and close-down all the sports teams. Matt called and talked to me for a while. He had to work that night and so he couldn’t make it over to see us, which Ann & I completely understand. I related to him that I felt awful for missing Thanksgiving with my family for nearly a decade because of work. They understood and Mom always made me feel better about it, so I felt I needed to do the same for Matthew. Ann & I sat down and pretty much napped on and off all night as we tried to watch a couple episodes of Dexter. It started raining harder and harder as the night progressed and continued raining all night. Here are random pictures of our recent adventures.

sis20.10.249 sis20.10.250 sis20.10.251 sis20.10.252 sis20.10.253 sis20.10.254 sis20.10.255 sis20.10.256 sis20.10.257 sis20.10.258 sis20.10.259 sis20.10.260 sis20.10.261 sis20.10.262 sis20.10.263 sis20.10.264 sis20.10.265 sis20.10.266 sis20.10.267 sis20.10.268 sis20.10.269 sis20.10.270 sis20.10.271 sis20.10.272 sis20.10.273 sis20.10.274 sis20.10.275 sis20.10.276 sis20.10.277 sis20.10.278 sis20.10.279 sis20.10.280 sis20.10.281 sis20.10.282 sis20.10.283 sis20.10.284 sis20.10.285 sis20.10.286 sis20.10.287 sis20.10.288 sis20.10.289 sis20.10.290 sis20.10.291 sis20.10.292 sis20.10.293 sis20.10.294 sis20.10.295 sis20.10.296 sis20.10.297 sis20.10.298 sis20.10.299 sis20.10.300 sis20.10.301 sis20.10.302 sis20.10.303 sis20.10.304 sis20.10.305 sis20.10.306 sis20.10.307 sis20.10.308 sis20.10.309 sis20.10.310 sis20.10.311 sis20.10.312 sis20.10.313 sis20.10.314 sis20.10.315 sis20.10.316 sis20.10.317 sis20.10.318 sis20.10.319

It was still raining on Thursday morning when we got up. In fact, it pretty much rained all day again with some low-level flooding in the area. I had another fast day work. Dennis surprised me by taking me out to a late breakfast at The Hanger. Justin & Vic weren’t able to make it but it was good catching up with Dennis for an hour. I had a busy afternoon as well and didn’t have time to exercise that evening. It was just as well since it was still drizzling that evening. Ann had a fast day as well. We stopped at the grocery store to get supplies and she was kind enough to make spicy sausage dip for me to take to card night with the boys. We met up at the Bewley B&B Bar that evening for a night of good food, good cards, and some football…and a few good spirits as well, of course! 😊 Luke was held out of practice that night due to having a teammate that tested positive for COVID that morning. He sat near him at lunch, which put Luke in the questionable contact group. We are hopeful that he will be allowed to go to school in the morning and play football. He was heartbroken at the idea of not being allowed to play in the next round of sectionals. Thankfully, we got the all-clear from Coach Moore that he was cleared to play and our whole outlook on life became brighter! We had a good turnout for Poker Night with Bryan, Rick, Shawn, Alan, Bob, Mark and myself. The only one that didn’t make it – Pat, AKA No-Show Nancy. I came out ahead on the night, so it was just icing on the cake after hearing that Luke was able to play tomorrow night… I came home and watched the PBS concert special I had taped earlier in the night by Metallica, called S&M2. It was a perfect way to put a cap on the work week before I began my long weekend. Here are a few pictures of recent additions to my Hot Wheels collection.

hwc20.10.29 hwc20.10.30 hwc20.10.31 hwc20.10.32 hwc20.10.33 hwc20.10.34 hwc20.10.35 hwc20.10.36

It had finally stopped raining when Lola woke me up before the dawn. There was a change in the air. It was much cooler. I’m not sure it ever even got out of the 30s that day. Luke called it…first Ann and then I received the news we’ve been dreading – the school is closing. For now, they are shutting it for two weeks beginning Monday. They have teachers, bus drivers and other staff that are quarantining – as well as several students, so it makes sense to try and let this all blow over. For now, they are allowed to practice and play football, but who knows how long that will last? So, this might be our championship game if things play out like they could… I ran some errands and paid the bills after I dropped her off at the downtown office (after a quick trip through the Dunkin drive-thru of course!). When I picked her up, later that morning, we visited Mom for a while. When we came back home, we ate lunch and relaxed for a few hours, napping, and watching the Metallica S&M2 special on PBS until it was time to get ready for Luke’s big game. Abs was supposed to meet us at the house and go together, but she was running late, so she & Gary met us at the game. Mom & Sandy came but it was too cold for them, so they sat in the car, behind the west-end endzone. Jamie braved the elements to join us. Because of a child testing positive for COVID, they “contact tracing” and nearly lost Luke and a few others. Sadly, Luke’s close friend – Alex – was caught up in the web and was quarantined along with a couple others…including one of our key starters – our kicker (Ben). Because of Ben’s absence, we got demolished in the special teams department and truly that was the difference in the game. We weren’t able to kickoff well (Ben regularly kicks the ball inside the 10 and is about 50/50 with touchback percentage. We did not have the same success with the punting game (we punted 4 times), as Ben regularly kicks over 40 yards. But the biggest impact was felt in the PAT/field goal area. We had to go for a 2-point conversion three times (Ben has only missed a handful of kicks all year) …and weren’t even close on any of them. Between our missing starters and the borderline biased officiating. There were numerous suspicious calls that went against us. Turns out, this same officiating team called Franklin County’s game last week as well. After the game, I encouraged Coach Harris to talk with the head coach and the AD to file a formal complaint. It was that blatant at times. Even after we watched the game back the next day, it still pissed me off with some of the calls that were made (or not made). I don’t care if you call it tight or let them play…but you have to call it both ways. In the end, we came up short one point, 18-19 and the boys end the season with a 6-5 record. Luke’s stats: he started at middle linebacker, recording 11 solo tackles, 10 assisted tackles and 2 tackles for loss to go along with a pass deflection that he nearly pulled down for an INT. He also started at left guard on the OL, recording at least one pancake that I saw. In addition, he played special teams and didn’t come off the field the whole game that I saw – which is when he is at his best. He was in tears after game. We were all disappointed that the season ended at home like this. We finally got to meet Maggie, who was helping console him after the game. He went out with friends afterward while Ann & I took Bu & Gary to BWR for dinner and drinks. We came home and relaxed, enjoying a watermelon sour sipper to wind down the evening. We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp20.10.169 smp20.10.170 smp20.10.171 smp20.10.172 smp20.10.173 smp20.10.174 smp20.10.175 smp20.10.176 smp20.10.177 smp20.10.178 smp20.10.179 smp20.10.180 smp20.10.181 smp20.10.182 smp20.10.183 smp20.10.184 smp20.10.185 smp20.10.186 smp20.10.188 smp20.10.189 smp20.10.191 smp20.10.192 smp20.10.193 smp20.10.194 smp20.10.195 smp20.10.196 smp20.10.197 smp20.10.198 smp20.10.199 smp20.10.200 smp20.10.201 smp20.10.202 smp20.10.203 smp20.10.204 smp20.10.205 smp20.10.206 smp20.10.207 smp20.10.208 smp20.10.209 smp20.10.210 smp20.10.211 smp20.10.212

We enjoyed sleeping in on Saturday morning. I got up when I heard the dogs clip-clopping in the hallway but it was too late as they had already peed on the floor – despite the fact that we had half a dozen piddle pads down. We had a hard frost on the ground when I took the girls outside to wake up. It wasn’t long before we loaded up the pooches in Black Betty and headed down the road to Westport to get them groomed. We dropped them off and drove around Westport, trying to find the new Hot Wheel store that opened out there…but we couldn’t find it. I wonder if its outside of town somewhere. I’ll have to get an address from the lady at Square Deals. When we got home, I dropped off Ann and picked up the kids. We went out to Walmart for weekly supplies and then went through the drive-thru at Dunkin for goodies. We came back and got everything put away then began working on lunch. Ann made pasta salad while I grilled burgers out on the patio. Abs & Gary helped me while we enjoyed a Candy Apple sipper with salted caramel Crown and apple Crown that was quite tasty! We cleaned up the kitchen then I did stats while we all watched last night’s game up on the big screen. I hope to have my unofficial totals for the year. It was funny (and Luke actually pointed it out) – this year, the stats were different depending on the source: my totals were different than what the paper had…and those were different than what Max Preps had…and still different is what showed up on Hudl. I know his goal was to get 100 tackles this year and I know he was really close after these two Sectional games where he stepped-up his game. That’s when you need your leaders to shine (in the playoffs). Luke went into work at Hibbett’s and Abs and I went out to the park and played a couple rounds of frisbee golf. It was a little too windy to be out there, but we had fun. I threw a pair of 3-over 30s while Abby had a respectable 38 & 35, given the conditions. Abs packed up her stuff while I watched the Purdue football game. I only made it to halftime when the groomer called, saying she was ready for us to come get the girls. So, we said goodbye to Gale and Gary, who went up to his house to visit and stay with his folks for the night. It was Halloween and there was a full moon. We had a few trick-or-treaters that afternoon, as they were allowed to go door-to-door for 4 hours that afternoon. We did not hand out any candy due to the county moving to a condition yellow alert, due to COVID-19 resurgence. The dogs looked great. We had waited too long again to get them cut and so Macie had to shave them and start fresh. Ann made a point to set a reminder for 8 – 12 weeks and not 8 – 12 months to get them back out there again! It is getting dark earlier and earlier and by the time we got them home, it was pitch black. Ann & I resumed our positions on the couch and recliner with the dogs. I watched the end of the Boiler game while Ann read the next book in the Outlander series. I finished editing pictures and started writing out the html code for this week’s blog entry as I watched a couple episodes of the Jennifer Aniston / Reese Witherspoon Apple TV+ show called The Morning Show.

We were up earlier that anticipated as we “fell back” with Daylight Savings Time ending on the first day of November. So, what we thought it was 8 am was 9 am just yesterday. It felt great to gain an hour. Historically, my body rhythm seems to be more in synch during this season. I’m hopeful that this year will be similar. We slowly got up and got to our weekly household chores. It was sunny but the temps dropped all day long with the wind gusting strong enough to blow around our back-porch furniture cushions. Ann read then put out her fall decorations while I watched the taped NASCAR races from the weekend and finished writing HTML code. There were some really cool Halloween-themed paint schemes at the Martinsville races. As the wind continued to pick up, we had to bring in the couch cushions and when I looked out the front window that afternoon, I noticed that we no longer had a yard full of leaves…they were all in our neighbors’ yards now! Luke & I will have to go rake them up next weekend if they’re still there… I watched football the rest of the day as the NFL had a full slate of games. I flipped between the Colts game and RedZone during the early games, rooting Indy on to a win. The Bears and Saints highlighted the late games and was billed as the game of the week. It was a tight contest that did not disappoint…it even had a fight, a DQ and OT! As I write today’s entry, the injury-decimated Cowboys were getting ready to play on SNF. Why? I don’t know…because no one wants to watch a pair of 2-5 teams play on national TV, that’s for sure. It’s likely that I’ll get mad, turn it off and just watch the two Walking Dead shows instead. It was a relaxing way to wind down the weekend and put a kibosh on yet another week before we get ready to do it all over again tomorrow…

Next up is our Waybac section which features the next batch of 2004 pictures from Dee’s digital camera. We lead off in April – Easter dinner at Mom & Sandy’s house as well as the Dixon Dance Revue at the high school; June – Luke’s 1st birthday party; July – lots of 4th of July festivities, the fair parade, Grace’s 4th birthday party, the Indy Blues Fest with Joe Bonamassa and Sandy’s birthday; August – the arrival of Minnie Mabel & Charlie Campsedelle; September – Abby’s 5th birthday party; October – my birthday and then Trick-or-Treating at Gma & Gigi’s; November – Mom O’s birthday party and Thanksgiving Day and then December – Christmas festivities such as the Christmas parade, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

Waybac.2004.04.ed04 Waybac.2004.05.ddr07 Waybac.2004.05.ddr08 Waybac.2004.05.ddr09 Waybac.2004.06.lbd01 Waybac.2004.06.lbd02 Waybac.2004.06.lbd03 Waybac.2004.06.lbd04 Waybac.2004.07.foj04 Waybac.2004.07.foj05 Waybac.2004.07.foj06 Waybac.2004.07.foj07 Waybac.2004.07.foj08 Waybac.2004.07.foj09 Waybac.2004.07.foj10 Waybac.2004.07.foj11 Waybac.2004.07.foj12 Waybac.2004.07.foj13 Waybac.2004.07.foj14 Waybac.2004.07.foj15 Waybac.2004.07.fp11 Waybac.2004.07.fp12 Waybac.2004.07.fp13 Waybac.2004.07.fp14 Waybac.2004.07.fp15 Waybac.2004.07.fp16 Waybac.2004.07.gbd01 Waybac.2004.07.gbd02 Waybac.2004.07.gbd03 Waybac.2004.07.ibf03 Waybac.2004.07.sbd04 Waybac.2004.07.sbd05 Waybac.2004.08.mcc01 Waybac.2004.08.mmc02 Waybac.2004.08.mmc03 Waybac.2004.09.abd02 Waybac.2004.09.abd03 Waybac.2004.10.tbd01 Waybac.2004.10.tot01 Waybac.2004.11.mabd01 Waybac.2004.11.mabd02 Waybac.2004.11.td04 Waybac.2004.11.td05 Waybac.2004.12.cd04 Waybac.2004.12.ce05 Waybac.2004.12.ce06 Waybac.2004.12.ce07 Waybac.2004.12.cp04

Next up is our video segment, which includes two new home movies this week as well as several from around the internet.

And that does it for this week’s entry of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one and stay safe out there. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply