Breathe, Breathe in the Air…Don’t be Afraid to Care

It’s been another interesting week since we last touched base. The weeks are really flying past us at this point in the year. Work has been good for Ann & I. The kids all wrapped up their first semesters at their respective schools. Matt was relieved to go on break at the end of this week. He will not return until next year and he is happy about that fact. He was happy that he got to go visit Ms. Dallas this week. He said she had really grown. Abby came home for the year after finishing Finals Week at FC. She had fun seeing friends and her boyfriend this week. Luke had a busy week by wrapping up school (with straight-A’s, I might add! He also made straight-A Honor Roll for the semester as well!), wrestled in four matches, worked at his job and even made a car repair. I struggled with my diet and exercise routine this week, going out to eat every day for lunch and only having time to walk about two miles. It was silly how busy work was for Ann & I. We are quickly running out of time to get everything done before we leave for the rest of the year. I had a health scare this week as well, which kept things interesting. Thankfully, things worked out just fine and I’m doing good. I’ll know more next week but it may impact our holiday plans… The weather has gone from white and cold to brown and cool. There’s still hope though – the forecast calls for snow on Christmas Eve and below-freezing temps on the big day. I enjoyed watching a couple Purdue basketball victories (Big Ten opener as well as Crossroads Classic) but no Purdue football as they again cancelled the Old Oaken Bucket game, which will essentially bring their season to an end at a disappointing 2-4 record – I doubt anyone will invite them to a bowl game…despite losing three of those four by one score. Hello again and welcome to the latest installation of the Scheu Family Blog.

We had a noticeably colder start to the week on Monday morning. It got colder as the day progressed with a bone-chilling wind. Ann and I had good days at work. Mine absolutely flew past me. I spent the morning catching up paperwork then the boys and I went out to lunch at Snappy Tomato. When we got back, I picked up Ann and we went to Jami’s to get our haircut. Afterward, I worked on my annual evaluations and by the time I finished, it was already too late to walk. In fact, by the time I got to Ann’s work, I was about ten minutes late. We ran an errand and by the time we got home, it was pitch black. We cleaned up the kitchen and played with the dogs for a while before getting our comfy clothes on and watching a few TV shows. Luke came home after school and wrestling practice with patches for his letter jacket. He showered, ate and pretty much went to his room to do homework, play some PS4 and went on to bed. Here are pictures from Luke’s wrestling meet last week during Senior Night.

lp20.12.03 lwsn20.01 lwsn20.02 lwsn20.03 lwsn20.04 lwsn20.05 lwsn20.06 lwsn20.07 lwsn20.08 lwsn20.09 lwsn20.10 lwsn20.11 lwsn20.12 lwsn20.13 lwsn20.14 lwsn20.15 lwsn20.16 lwsn20.17 lwsn20.18 lwsn20.19 lwsn20.20 lwsn20.21 lwsn20.22 lwsn20.23 lwsn20.24 lwsn20.25 lwsn20.26 lwsn20.27 lwsn20.28 lwsn20.29 lwsn20.30 lwsn20.31 lwsn20.32 lwsn20.33 lwsn20.34 lwsn20.35 lwsn20.36 lwsn20.37 lwsn20.38 lwsn20.39 lwsn20.40 lwsn20.41 lwsn20.42 lwsn20.43 lwsn20.44 lwsn20.45 lwsn20.46 lwsn20.47 lwsn20.48 lwsn20.49 lwsn20.50 lwsn20.51 lwsn20.52 lwsn20.53 lwsn20.54 lwsn20.55 lwsn20.56 lwsn20.57 lwsn20.58 lwsn20.59 lwsn20.60 lwsn20.61 lwsn20.62 lwsn20.63 lwsn20.64 lwsn20.65 lwsn20.66 lwsn20.67 lwsn20.68 lwsn20.69 lwsn20.70 lwsn20.71 lwsn20.72 lwsn20.73 lwsn20.74 lwsn20.75

Tuesday was another chilly morning as we headed back to Columbus for work in Black Betty. It was another super-fast day at work as the day flew past. Justin surprised me with lunch from a pulled pork truck. It was really good! Before I knew it, I had missed my opportunity walk because we ended up leaving early to head back to the ‘Burg. We ran a few errands around town, stopped by home to let the dogs out and loaded up Barney. We headed down to St. Leon to watch Luke and the Pirates square off with East Central. It was limited to only two parents / guardians per wrestler due to COVID. Luke brought home vouchers for us to use along with admission. But when we got there, they didn’t even collect money, which we thought was really nice. We were running a little late and pulled in and parked where there was a cluster of cars. Unfortunately, that was on the opposite side of the school, which was the Performing Arts Center! So, we walked all the way around the building in the cold wind. Poor Ann’s knees did really well (only turned her ankle once in the grass!). We faced their B team, thankfully, which gave us at least a chance at a win. Last year, their A team shut us out, 0-82. This year was much closer and came down to Alex & Luke’s matches to either win or tie the meet. Unfortunately, they both lost. Luke, in particular, did not wrestle well. He had zero energy and didn’t even attempt a takedown. His game is aggression and scramble and there was none of that at all. He was somehow ahead in the middle of the match, but again didn’t do anything and lost 3-5. That lowers his record to 8-3. The team lost 27-45 and their record now stands at 7-4. Here are pictures of Luke wrestling at the Rushville Super Five.

lwrsf20.01 lwrsf20.02 lwrsf20.03 lwrsf20.04 lwrsf20.05 lwrsf20.06 lwrsf20.07 lwrsf20.08 lwrsf20.09 lwrsf20.10 lwrsf20.11 lwrsf20.12 lwrsf20.13 lwrsf20.14 lwrsf20.15 lwrsf20.16 lwrsf20.17 lwrsf20.18 lwrsf20.19 lwrsf20.20 lwrsf20.21 lwrsf20.22 lwrsf20.23 lwrsf20.24 lwrsf20.25 lwrsf20.26 lwrsf20.27 lwrsf20.28 lwrsf20.29 lwrsf20.30 lwrsf20.31 lwrsf20.32 lwrsf20.33 lwrsf20.34 lwrsf20.35 lwrsf20.36 lwrsf20.37 lwrsf20.38 lwrsf20.39 lwrsf20.40 lwrsf20.41 lwrsf20.42 lwrsf20.43 lwrsf20.44 lwrsf20.45 lwrsf20.46 lwrsf20.47 lwrsf20.48 lwrsf20.49 lwrsf20.50 lwrsf20.51 lwrsf20.52 lwrsf20.53 lwrsf20.54 lwrsf20.55 lwrsf20.56 lwrsf20.57 lwrsf20.58 lwrsf20.59 lwrsf20.60 lwrsf20.61 lwrsf20.62 lwrsf20.63 lwrsf20.64 lwrsf20.65 lwrsf20.66 lwrsf20.67 lwrsf20.68 lwrsf20.69 lwrsf20.70 lwrsf20.71 lwrsf20.72 lwrsf20.73 lwrsf20.74 lwrsf20.75 lwrsf20.76 lwrsf20.77 lwrsf20.78 lwrsf20.79 lwrsf20.80 lwrsf20.81 lwrsf20.82 lwrsf20.83 lwrsf20.84 lwrsf20.85 lwrsf20.86 lwrsf20.87 lwrsf20.88 lwrsf20.89 lwrsf20.90 lwrsf20.91 lwrsf20.92 lwrsf20.93 lwrsf20.94 lwrsf20.95 lwrsf20.96 lwrsf20.97 lwrsf20.98 lwrsf20.99 lwrsf20.100 lwrsf20.101 lwrsf20.102 lwrsf20.103 lwrsf20.104 lwrsf20.105 lwrsf20.106 lwrsf20.107 lwrsf20.108 lwrsf20.109

We were awakened by a phone call from the school on Wednesday morning. Due to it snowing overnight (and still snowing when we left!), Luke was on a two-hour delay. The roads were an interesting mix. I’ll be honest, we didn’t have much of this last year so it’s been a couple years since we last drove on roads that slippery. It took me about five minutes or so and then I had it down and we passed about eight or nine cars. Hartsville Pike (a backroad) was a little dicey but 450 N was fairly clear and we made it safely that morning. It was more of the same at work, as we continue to wind-down the 2020 year and try to finish up everything before we leave for our annual end-of-year vacation. The boys and I went to lunch at a new Mexican restaurant that was just so-so…it was OK but we probably won’t ever go back there (Tapatio’s). I again finished work when it was time to leave for home, missing the opportunity to exercise once again. It was cold again but Columbus didn’t get nearly as much snow as we did back in Greensburg. I’d say we had about two inches at home. At work, we just had a dusting. It was snowing again when left for home, but there wasn’t any more snow at home. What we did have was Abby! She was on the porch waving to greet us as we came around the corner, which made us smile. 😊 She was back from school but still had some work to do for Finals Week. She has one test to do by noon tomorrow, so she is in good shape. Luke met us at home after school and wresting practice. Once he showered, we celebrated the return of the Bu by going to BWR for Wing Night! Unfortunately, when we got there, they were closed. Apparently, they had some sort of a computer issue that they could not overcome. Instead, we drove to ElRep and enjoyed our favorite comfort food and their margaritas were on special that night to boot! We enjoyed talking and laughing as we caught up with Abby and her adventures at school. We came home afterward and although it was still snowing, there wasn’t any additional accumulation. Still, it made the scene festive and now it actually feels like Christmas (plus we had a little Xmas spirit flowing, if you know what I mean!). Sadly, we learned that day that the Old Oaken Bucket game that had been re-scheduled for this Friday had again been cancelled. This time, probably for good. It is the first time in over a century that it hasn’t been played…damn you, Coronavirus! We just can’t get the vaccine rolled-out fast enough to save this year…but 2021 is already starting to look brighter… Here are pictures from Luke’s football awards banquet.

lfab20.01 lfab20.02 lfab20.03 lfab20.04 lfab20.05 lfab20.06 lfab20.07

The dogs had us up early on Thursday morning. I went ahead and got up so I could do my morning routine and then edit more of the 1500 pix for this week’s blog entry and try to whittle them down to under 400. I was hoping to knock a bunch of it out last night, but when we put on Oak Island, it knocked me out almost instantly and I wound up in bed before 10 again. But there I was with an extra hour that morning and felt refreshed. I did get through a couple hundred pictures before I warmed up the car and we headed back out on our daily commute to Columbus through the ice and snow. It was yet another incredibly busy day as I continue to try and squeeze everything in before the end of the month and end of the year. Abby stopped by at the end of the day and we sent her books back to Chegg before I went out walking on a bitterly cold afternoon. If I had it to do over again, I would’ve gone to the mall. Still, I got in a couple miles before I called it quits and headed for home. Abs went over to hang out with Ann for a bit before going out Christmas shopping. I went to the Wal of Mart for our weekly supply run. Luke beat me home, after finishing school and wrestling practice. He said he was down into the 180s after practice so 195 should be a cinch for this weekend. We learned that the tourney in Jeffersonville had been cancelled due to COVID. However, we got picked up by Columbus East, who had a couple teams drop out, opening the door for us to get another tourney under our belts before the end of the year. The big, two-day tourney in Connersville called the Spartan Classic has now been cancelled as well, so this might be our last action of 2020. We all met up at home that evening. Luke went out with friends and wound up at ElRep for dinner again. Unfortunately, our card night fell apart as everyone had other stuff going on and there would’ve only been Rick & I, so we will take a break until 2021. Instead, Ann made Fireworks popcorn for dinner as we watched SEAL Team and SWAT on the big screen. Abby finished her last final exam and now her first semester is complete! She’ll be off for an extended period of time now before returning to campus in February of next year. That evening, she went out with friends until late and got back some time after Ann & I had called it a night. Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis20.12.80 sis20.12.81 sis20.12.82 sis20.12.83 sis20.12.84 sis20.12.85 sis20.12.86 sis20.12.87 sis20.12.88 sis20.12.89 sis20.12.90 sis20.12.91 sis20.12.92 sis20.12.93 sis20.12.94 sis20.12.95 sis20.12.96 sis20.12.97 sis20.12.98 sis20.12.99 sis20.12.100 sis20.12.101 sis20.12.102 sis20.12.103 sis20.12.104 sis20.12.105 sis20.12.106 sis20.12.107 sis20.12.108 sis20.12.109 sis20.12.110 sis20.12.111 sis20.12.112 sis20.12.113 sis20.12.114 sis20.12.115 sis20.12.116 sis20.12.117 sis20.12.118 sis20.12.119 sis20.12.120 sis20.12.121 sis20.12.122 sis20.12.123 sis20.12.124 sis20.12.125 sis20.12.126 sis20.12.127 sis20.12.128 sis20.12.129 sis20.12.130 sis20.12.131 sis20.12.132 sis20.12.133 sis20.12.134 sis20.12.135 sis20.12.136 sis20.12.137 sis20.12.138 sis20.12.139 sis20.12.140 sis20.12.141 sis20.12.142 sis20.12.143 sis20.12.144 sis20.12.145 sis20.12.146

I was up before the dogs on Friday morning. I slept in a bit before getting up to work at home, out in the family room. Abby decided she was too tired to take Ann to work, so I went in my comfy clothes and slippers – LOL. We ran past Dunkin for breakfast before I dropped her off downtown and brought goodies home for the kids and I. Luke went on to school and Abby slowly got moving. It warmed up a bit and much of our snow melted off, being replaced with mud. Delilah came in one time covered in it. I threw her big butt in the kitchen sinks and got her washed off. She wasn’t too sure what the hell I was doing to her but she did fine. Sadly, Ann told me her Aunt Judy passed away earlier that day from COVID. I finished up working about 3 or so, being quite productive…I could get used to this! 😊 Abby picked up Annie and the girls went out to try and finish up Christmas shopping. Thankfully, I’m done with my shopping and I’m ready for Christmas! The dogs and I took nap in the afternoon and watched a marathon of Live at Daryl’s House on the DVR. There were a few on there that I hadn’t seen before. I love that show… Luke came home after school and wrestling practice but was only here long enough to shower and headed right back out to the school. He and the GTV crew were broadcasting the game that night. Luke was on commentary for the broadcast. He was nervous because he was afraid that he might say something stupid and get into trouble. Knowing his mouth and impulsivity…I would be worried as well. The girls got home and unloaded all their treasures for the next half hour while I got the girls’ bball game going on the big screen so we could hear our young broadcaster. I was able to finish up editing pictures and whittled them down to just under 400. We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp20.12.54 smp20.12.55 smp20.12.56 smp20.12.57 smp20.12.58 smp20.12.60 smp20.12.59 smp20.12.61 smp20.12.62 smp20.12.63 smp20.12.64 smp20.12.65 smp20.12.66 smp20.12.67 smp20.12.68 smp20.12.69 smp20.12.70 smp20.12.71 smp20.12.72 smp20.12.73 smp20.12.74 smp20.12.75 smp20.12.76 smp20.12.77 smp20.12.78 smp20.12.79 smp20.12.80 smp20.12.81 smp20.12.82 smp20.12.83 smp20.12.84 smp20.12.85 smp20.12.86 smp20.12.87 smp20.12.88 smp20.12.89 smp20.12.90 smp20.12.91 smp20.12.92 smp20.12.93 smp20.12.94 smp20.12.95 smp20.12.96 smp20.12.97 smp20.12.98 smp20.12.99 smp20.12.100 smp20.12.101 smp20.12.102 smp20.12.103 smp20.12.104 smp20.12.105 smp20.12.106 smp20.12.107 smp20.12.108 smp20.12.109 smp20.12.110 smp20.12.111 smp20.12.112 smp20.12.113 smp20.12.114

I got up way to early on Saturday morning after not sleeping well. I ate dinner too late last night and my body did not react to it well. Plus, I sat nearly the entire day and snacked off and on. Add to that my mask and I fighting all night and then I couldn’t get warm and woke up several times, shivering. I don’t know what the hell that was, but I didn’t like it much and only slept a couple hours maybe. Luke got up on his own that morning, before the sunrise, to head to school and catch the bus for his wrestling tourney at Columbus East. I took advantage of my extra hours and wrote out all the html code for this week’s blog while watching Ancient Aliens. I can’t think of a better way to spend a Saturday morning! 😊 Once Ann got up, we got ready and joined Luke over in Columbus for the day. Eight schools participated in the tourney, our first of the year. It was not a good day for the young Pirates. We had a wrestler place 3rd, 4th and 5th; the rest placed 7th or 8th…not what we expected coming into the day… As for Luke, he didn’t fare well at all. First up, he faced a wrestler from the host Columbus East team. He came out flat and didn’t have much in terms of offense. He was being shutout when he got in a bad position and wound up being pinned in the 2nd period. In the first match of the consolation rounds, he looked a little livelier and actually tried a few things but they didn’t work. He was looking decent when he again got himself in a bad position and wound up getting pinned in the 2nd period. In the final match, he received a forfeit to take 7th place. His record now stands at 9-5 on the year. I had a bit of a health scare. I was feeling pretty good until the very end of the meet. As we were watching the final rounds, I started feeling weird, having difficulty breathing and a pressure in my chest that was very similar to when I had my heart attack. It sort of scared me and Ann could see it on my face. We left the meet and drove straight to CRH. I was a little light-headed but I think that was me just getting inside my own head. They ran me through a battery of tests but couldn’t find anything wrong with me – especially my heart…which was a relief. They did find some weird spots on my chest x-ray so they gave me a couple COVID tests, just to be sure. The rapid test came back negative but they also did a PCR test which will be more accurate but will take a few days to come back. So, the doc released me and said I could go back to work on Tuesday and to make sure to get plenty of rest. I felt bad for Ann. She couldn’t come in and so she was stuck out in the car on a cold, rainy afternoon that slowly turned into a cold, rainy evening. Abby wasn’t allowed to join us that day, so she went out to brunch with her roommate Bri on her 21st birthday. She was on her way back when we went to the hospital. She re-routed Tonya and came to Columbus where she picked up Luke from the tourney and came over to hang out with Ann in the parking lot. They wound up out there for about five hours – I felt so bad for them and encouraged them to go on home once my EKG came back normal…but they wouldn’t have any of it. I got in a couple naps on that uncomfortable hospital bed despite my legs falling asleep, getting a Charlie horse and my tailbone throbbing…damn, I’m old… When I finally walked out, it was dark and a light mist was falling. It melted all of our remaining snow, unfortunately. I drove us home and made myself some eggs and bacon – my first meal since last night. I felt much better that evening and fell asleep on the couch before Ann made my snoring ass go on to bed… As I did, we noticed flashing lights outside and our neighbors had an ambulance at their house. We have elderly neighbors all around us, so we were quite concerned. Thankfully, everyone was OK and it was just a health scare…it seems to be going around out here! Gary came down to pick up Abby that night. They had plans to go up to Broad Ripple to take Bri out for her birthday, but something happened and as they were headed up to go pick her up, the plans suddenly changed and they ended up at Megan’s house and they stayed there all night. Here are pictures of recent additions to my Hot Wheels collection.

hwc20.12.20 hwc20.12.21 hwc20.12.22 hwc20.12.23 hwc20.12.24 hwc20.12.25 hwc20.12.26 hwc20.12.29 hwc20.12.27 hwc20.12.28 hwc20.12.30

I slept MUCH better overnight and although the dogs got me up early on Sunday morning, I felt replenished and was ready to get up and do something. Annie slept in for a while and once she got up, I got moving and did the weekly household chores. It was another eggs and bacon meal that morning and it really hit the spot, keeping me full all day. I took it easy, growing my music collection and working on the blog while watching NFL football all day. It was a good day as both the Colts and Cowboys won…and neither are eliminated from the playoffs yet and its week 14! The game of the week was quite possibly a preview of this year’s Super Bowl as the Chiefs hosted the Saints. It was Brees’ first game back after his injury and he was pretty rusty in the first half but it turned out to be a great game. Luke called during the Colts game, saying that his tire was flat and needed replaced. He sent me a picture and it was so worn that the steel belt cords were showing. I agreed and as he was at Walmart picking up photos for us, he popped into the tire shop and got a new one. He earned straight-A’s this 9 weeks as well as for the first semester (!) and our deal is that he gets $20 for the 9 weeks and $50 for the semester for all A’s. Instead of receiving the cash, he was OK with us just paying for his new tire (something he is responsible for). So, it worked out good for everyone. He came home long enough to get cleaned up and headed right back out to work at Hibbett’s that night. He had called in last night when we didn’t know what was going on with me. So, we made sure he made it in that night. There had been a little bit of drama when he called in, I guess. His manager was giving him a little flak about calling in so late and that brought out Shitty Ann, who we hadn’t seen in a while. Things were quickly worked out and she went back away – LOL. Lola spent the afternoon by herself in the backyard after attacking Delilah again. This is the second time in a month she has lost her shit. I didn’t see how it started but I did see her bite Delilah in the mouth and in the rear leg. So, she was isolated from the others until she could be trusted to come back in. She was out there for several hours and came in at dusk as temps began to decline. She was muddy and went straight to the sink to get cleaned-up, which she didn’t appreciate. We had to throw out a raggedy dog toy that Delilah had demolished and pieces were coming off it. Ann gave her an early Christmas present of a bobblehead parrot and it was a huge hit! Abby & Gary came home that evening. They visited for a bit then Garrett drove back home. He plans to return on Christmas Eve. Abs retreated to her room to play online video games on her Switch with Matthew. Later, Ann made Fireworks popcorn for dinner and we watched National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation.

Next up is our Waybac section which continues to feature two collections – one from Maryann’s family and one from Dee’s first digital camera. We lead off with Ann’s family (Uncle Red) pix – the backs of the pictures read: Kokomo in 1945 pix: Aug ’45 shows Peggy Uyeta Jackson, Roslie Henry and Betty (Martin) Burgett; then in May we have Charles Hawk (76), Cora Hawk (67), Melvin Hawk (70) and Malinda Thompson (30) on 900 Lindsey St.; and in July we have Minnie Durham (69 years); then May 1978 – a Morrison family dinner and their weeping willow picture; and finally in 1983 – Red with dog in March; a couple pix of Red’s fam in front of the house; and one with him and a random squirrel (!); then we move on to Dee’s pix in 2004: April – Easter dinner at our house; May – Dixon Dance Revue at the high school; June – Luke’s birthday party at our house; July – 4th of July fun at Mom’s for lunch then our house for dinner, swimming and fireworks; the fair parade and last night at the fairgrounds; Grace’s birthday; Indy Blues Fest (with Joe Bonamassa); and Sandy’s birthday party at our house; August – Minnie & Charlie; September – Abby’s birthday; November – Maryann’s birthday party at our house and Thanksgiving Day at Mom & Sandy’s house; December – Christmastime… Waybac.1945.95.ch76ch67mh70mt30.lski Waybac.1945.97.md69 Waybac.1978.05.ur3 Waybac.1978.ur4 Waybac.1983.03.ur2 Waybac.1983.ur1 Waybac.1983.ur5 Waybac.1983.ur6 Waybac.2004.04.ed12 Waybac.2004.05.ddr22 Waybac.2004.06.lbd21 Waybac.2004.07.foj79 Waybac.2004.07.foj80 Waybac.2004.07.foj81 Waybac.2004.07.foj82 Waybac.2004.07.foj83 Waybac.2004.07.foj84 Waybac.2004.07.foj85 Waybac.2004.07.fp43 Waybac.2004.07.fp44 Waybac.2004.07.fp45 Waybac.2004.07.fp46 Waybac.2004.07.gbd31 Waybac.2004.07.gbd32 Waybac.2004.07.gbd33 Waybac.2004.07.gbd34 Waybac.2004.07.gbd35 Waybac.2004.07.gbd36 Waybac.2004.07.ibf13 Waybac.2004.07.sbd12 Waybac.2004.08.mmc31 Waybac.2004.08.mmc32 Waybac.2004.08.mmc33 Waybac.2004.08.mmc34 Waybac.2004.09.abd20 Waybac.2004.09.abd21 Waybac.2004.11.mabd13 Waybac.2004.11.td19 Waybac.2004.11.tot07 Waybac.2004.12.cd18 Waybac.2004.12.ce24 Waybac.2004.12.cp11 lp20.12.03

And we wrap up with our video segment which includes four new home movies as well as several from around the internet.

And that does it for this week’s episode of the Scheu Family Blog. As always, thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one and stay safe out there. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply