I’m all Geared Up to Score Again

Although football season is upon us again, you’d never know it from the weather since it was so hot and humid all week. You could tell it was late summer, though, by all the loud cicadas, the chirping crickets and the lightning bugs all over the back yard (Delilah loves to chase and eat them!) – all typical sights and sounds of late summer nights in Indiana. Being a fat and hairy man, just being outside doing nothing would cause me to sweat profusely this week. Matt returned from Mexico with Taylor and resumed his work for Cathy. He brought home some goodies for us, so I can’t wait to see him soon! Abby spent more time away from home this week. She continued to work two jobs, spend time with friends and did manage to carve out time with us…when there was food involved – LOL! She is focused on getting a new computer before she heads back to school next week but hasn’t decided on one yet. Luke had a full week of school, working two jobs and of course football. He had long, sweaty practices as well as his first regular season game – and the home opener for his final high school season. He had a good game and even scored his first offensive varsity TD! His week was constantly overshadowed by the threat of COVID as several students and a few of his teammates came down sick. Even the radio station is under attack from the virus right now. In fact, it seems to be ramping up a little around this area and according to the news, it is making a comeback around the globe again… Mom O had a good week with no falls (that we know of!). Sandy continued to struggle with her knee but will start PT next week. Ann and I had fast work weeks, keeping very busy every day. My work was especially hectic (damn you, full moon!!). I was down another two pounds this week as I met my weekly walking goal of fifteen miles. I also enjoyed playing thirty-six holes of frisbee golf this week, continuing to improve my game. It was Power of the Past weekend, so we enjoyed going out there and I managed to add a few more treasures to my Hot Wheels collection and enjoy a little of the food as well.

It was back to work and school for us on Monday morning. It was supposed to be rainy that day but I don’t think it ever did anything more than sprinkle on us. Ann & I had busy days at work, which helped the day go very fast. In between a few kids trying to damage the building, the management team putting together a plan to deal with the increase in acting out behavior and corporate wanting me to get all the computers properly encrypted, my day absolutely flew by. I was late getting out of work and only got in two miles of walking that afternoon. Abby got up that morning and drove from her friend’s house in Franklin up to Greenwood for her accounting internship. She went to Megan’s house afterward and from there, they went out to celebrate her 21st birthday. Luke went to Columbus that morning to receive his first COVID vaccination. Once he is fully vaccinated, the school will not contact-trace him during an outbreak. So, we’re proud that he’s willing to do whatever it takes to ensure that he has a complete senior season. He went on to school and then football practice. He came home to shower, grab something to eat real quick and then went out to the Y to lift. I dropped Ann off at home and played a quick round of frisbee golf at the park. There wasn’t any breeze and it was quite humid which was good for golf but bad for my fat, hairy body. I was a sweaty mess by the time I got home but had a good round, shooting a one-under. We had a find-your-own dinner that evening and watched a couple DVR’d shows: John Oliver and Pawn Stars before flipping on A&E for their True-Crime week. We turned on their limited series called Invisible Monsters: Serial Killers which chronicles the stories of five killers that were all active at the same time: Bundy, BTK, Dahmer, Gacy & the Green River Killer. We watched the first episode that evening before I went on to bed since I was nodding off the final half of the show.

lp21.08.04 lfic21.01 lfic21.02 lfic21.03 lfic21.04 lfic21.05 lfic21.06 lfic21.07 lfic21.08 lfic21.09 lfic21.10 lfic21.11 lfic21.12 lfic21.13 lfic21.14 lfic21.15 lfic21.16 lfic21.17 lfic21.18 lfic21.19 lfic21.20 lfic21.21 lfic21.22 lfic21.23 lfic21.24 lfic21.25 lfic21.26 lfic21.27 lfic21.28 lfic21.29 lfic21.30 lfic21.31 lfic21.32 lfic21.33 lfic21.34 lfic21.35 lfic21.36 lfic21.37 lfic21.38 lfic21.39 lfic21.40 lfic21.41 lfic21.42 lfic21.43 lfic21.44 lfic21.45 lfic21.46 lfic21.47 lfic21.48 lfic21.49 lfic21.50 lfic21.51 lfic21.52 lfic21.53 lfic21.54 lfic21.55 lfic21.56 lfic21.57 lfic21.58 lfic21.59 lfic21.60 lfic21.61 lfic21.62 lfic21.63 lfic21.64 lfic21.65 lfic21.66 lfic21.67 lfic21.68 lfic21.69 lfic21.70 lfic21.71 lfic21.72 lfic21.73 lfic21.74 lfic21.75 lfic21.76 lfic21.77 lfic21.78 lfic21.79 lfic21.80 lfic21.81 lfic21.82 lfic21.83 lfic21.84 lfic21.85 lfic21.86 lfic21.87 lfic21.88 lfic21.89 lfic21.90 lfic21.91 lfic21.92 lfic21.93 lfic21.94 lfic21.95 lfic21.96 lfic21.97 lfic21.98 lfic21.99 lfic21.100 lfic21.101 lfic21.102 lfic21.103 lfic21.104 lfic21.105 lfic21.106 lfic21.107 lfic21.108 lfic21.109 lfic21.110 lfic21.111 lfic21.112 lfic21.113 lfic21.114 lfic21.115 lfic21.116 lfic21.117 lfic21.118

It was really foggy on Tuesday morning. It was another hot, humid day with the threat of storms all day. Again, the worst we ever saw was a quick sprinkle that day. It was another long day. I got caught up on my paperwork that morning then we had another long meeting as a management team to further develop our plan to react appropriately to the increased violence by a few residents. Afterward, we went out for lunch at Arni’s. I had a senior salad and a few pieces of their meat lover’s pizza – yum! And the best part? The boss bought! Afterward I took Ann to a doctor’s appointment and while I waited for her in the car, I worked on one of my reports on my laptop that I’d brought with me. When I returned to the work, I was able to finish that report and begin my final one for July. I am not the only one behind on my reports this week – I think all of the management team is…so we decided to push back our monthly marathon meetings a week so everyone could get caught up. It’s been a nutty first half of the month… Abby worked at WTRE that day and did some research on laptops. Luke did really well with his vaccine and didn’t have any adverse reactions. He had a fast day of school and then went on to football practice. I was in the middle of walking three miles that afternoon, out around the airport property like normal. I heard and then saw the fire trucks at station 2 come out and didn’t think anything of it. I’d seen it happen a hundred times before. But then I got a phone call. It was work, saying the fire alarm had gone off. So, I high tailed it back to work and met the firemen and the charge nurse in the lobby. They were already heading out. Apparently, a smoke detector malfunctioned in the exam room and set off the alarm. A few of the kids took advantage of the situation and decided to act-out and just be stupid (for lack of a better term) for no good reason. They were able to reset the system and so I didn’t even go to the back and headed over to Ann’s work to pick her up and head home. I didn’t make it a half mile off the property and work was calling again as the fire alarm had gone off a second time and a few kids were trying to elope. When I got back to work, there were kids and staff everywhere. A few kids were screaming and carrying on, creating a chaotic atmosphere. I know the staff were frustrated and I felt bad that the building was causing the issue. It almost felt like the old girl was fighting back against all the abuse it had been enduring over the last few weeks! The CFD responded again and I felt bad for them as well. They were very cool about it and very patient with me. I tried to bypass the faulty device but wasn’t able to for some reason. I’ll have to contact JCI to see what the hell they’ve done to that panel now. I undid the safety cover and took off the faulty head to replace it. However, in talking to the firefighters, we decided it may be wise to replace the base as well, which was going to take significantly longer. So, we left it undone and decided to do a fire watch overnight and deal with it in the morning. I helped on the units for a little while until things calmed back down (and to make sure the alarm didn’t go off again) and then went to the cafeteria and brought back dinner trays for the kids who had been acting out earlier. Ann was very understanding that we didn’t get out of town until after 6 that night. When we got back, I ran Luke over to J&A Auto where we dropped off the Hot Rod Lincoln to get the suspension fixed. We came back and Ann had dinner made for us. We sat down for a nice dinner then Abs and I played a twilight round of frisbee golf. We played pretty well but both had two holes that did us in. I wound up shooting par and Bu had a 3-over. We came back and I worked on the blog while Ann & I watched the next episode of Invisible Monsters before calling it a night. Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis21.08.235 sis21.08.236 sis21.08.237 sis21.08.234 sis21.08.238 sis21.08.239 sis21.08.240 sis21.08.241 sis21.08.242 sis21.08.243 sis21.08.244 sis21.08.245 sis21.08.246 sis21.08.247 sis21.08.248 sis21.08.249 sis21.08.250 sis21.08.251 sis21.08.252 sis21.08.253 sis21.08.254 sis21.08.255 sis21.08.256 sis21.08.257 sis21.08.258 sis21.08.259 sis21.08.260 sis21.08.261 sis21.08.262 sis21.08.263 sis21.08.264 sis21.08.265 sis21.08.266 sis21.08.267 sis21.08.269 sis21.08.270 sis21.08.271 sis21.08.272 sis21.08.273 sis21.08.274 sis21.08.275 sis21.08.276 sis21.08.277 sis21.08.278 sis21.08.279 sis21.08.280 sis21.08.281 sis21.08.282 sis21.08.283 sis21.08.284

It was already hot and humid when we left for work on Humpday morning. Abby was a little late getting up and got up and was out the door in no-time flat! Luke took Betty White to school that day. He said he had a good one then went on to football practice. He said they dodged a bullet when a couple teammates tested positive for the COVID. Oakley hurt his ankle last night at practice and was on crutches that day. He is not likely to play on opening day, which will hurt not only our offense but especially our defense. Hopefully the next guy can step up and fill the gap. I had a crazy busy day. Vic & I got the fire alarm panel reset after replacing the smoke detector and base. I had time to catch up on paperwork before going to a meeting with management. I had to leave that early to attend a webinar with my regional facility manager at corporate. We went to Kroger for a quick (and cheap!) lunch. Afterward, I set up a new workstation over in the gym for a new position they’re creating next month. When I finished there, I had time to do third shift video surveillance reviews and then reviewed video from the fire alarm last night so I could critique it as a 2nd shift fire drill so we don’t have to run another one this quarter. I had time to walk almost two miles after getting out of work a little late. I left early to go get Ann and go see Jami for our monthly haircuts. Abby drove back from Greenwood where she did her internship that morning. She drove back for her dentist appointment then came over to Columbus with Molie to meet up with me after Jamie finished with my hair and began working on Ann’s. I took my Bose headphones back and spoke with them about my concerns about this being the fourth time that they’ve done the same thing. I traded them in for a set of wireless set of Beats Studio Buds, which are cool because they have the noise cancelling feature. These have only been on the market for about a month but should hold up a little better to what must be my excessively sweaty ears – LOL. Next, we looked at laptops and found one but it was not on sale. We decided to wait until Monday to see if it goes on sale. The girls went to Target then went back to Molie’s house for a while. Ann & I came home so that Luke & I could swap out the Hot Rod Lincoln (which Jerry fixed today) for Black Betty, so she could get her oil changed. Luke brought me back home and I took Barney to the park and played a quick round of frisbee golf, throwing an even par. We had a find-your-own dinner and then as Ann read, I worked on the blog and watched the latest episode of Hard Knocks on HBO and then when Abs got back from Molie’s house, we watched the next few episodes of American Horror Stories on Hulu +. Luke came home from working out at the Y, grabbed a quick dinner and went on to bed.

Thursday was overcast and sticky. That’s a term that is very Hoosier, I think…but it perfectly described the feeling outdoors. It was awful. With Black Betty in the shop for a spa day, we took Barney to work that morning. It was another busy one for me, zooming by again. The guys and I went across town to McAllister’s for lunch – mostly because I wanted their iced tea! The afternoon was even faster than the morning for both Ann & I. I managed to get out of work on time that afternoon and actually got in a 5K. I was so sweaty afterward. Barney’s A/C only partially worked, but it was good enough to get us home. Abby worked at WTRE that morning then went to Franklin to see her advisor and move a carful of stuff into her dorm room. She stayed the night with her friends in their apartment that evening so she would have a shorter commute to work / internship the following morning. Luke had a “boring” day of school before going on to football practice. Between injuries and COVID, there are several kids out that are doubtful for the game on Friday night. He was concerned after their defensive practice that day, saying that there was a lot to prove tomorrow night. I played a quick round of frisbee golf that evening at the park. It is Power of the Past weekend, so there are a lot of people out at the fairgrounds right now. I am hopeful that we can get out there on Saturday maybe, even if it’s just to do some Hot Wheels hunting! 😊 I had a really good round, throwing 3 birdies with one bogie (on 5, of course) for a 25. I several really good throws (and a few that cost me probably two or three strokes). Ann was going to grill out pork loin, but Luke wound up going to ElRep with his teammates, so she ordered Koch’s instead and just had them delivered. After dinner, Luke ran me out to J&A Auto to pick up Black Betty and bring her home. We watched the final episode(s) of the Invisible Monsters series (they showed two at a time), which was pretty good. Although we already knew the stories of these infamous monsters, it was interesting to see how they intertwined through the years. I edited this week’s blog pictures that evening. After Ann went to bed, I watched a couple music-based shows like Classic Albums and If These Walls Could Rock before calling it a night. We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp21.08.226 smp21.08.227 smp21.08.228 smp21.08.229 smp21.08.230 smp21.08.231 smp21.08.232 smp21.08.233 smp21.08.234 smp21.08.235 smp21.08.236 smp21.08.237 smp21.08.238 smp21.08.239 smp21.08.240 smp21.08.241 smp21.08.242 smp21.08.243 smp21.08.244 smp21.08.245 smp21.08.246 smp21.08.247 smp21.08.248 smp21.08.249 smp21.08.250 smp21.08.251 smp21.08.252 smp21.08.253 smp21.08.254 smp21.08.255 smp21.08.256 smp21.08.257 smp21.08.258 smp21.08.259 smp21.08.224

Friday morning was a more relaxed as Ann took the day off and I worked from home. That allowed me to sleep in a little, which I appreciated since Lola had me up at 3:30 that morning. She went out and enjoyed some porch time until I let Delilah out at 7. She had drunk all the water in their bowl overnight, peed three times on the piddle pad and then one just for fun on the floor mat. Luke got up and went to school while I worked in the family room, at my desk. I finished my Safety Committee report and answered several emails. The morning went fast and in the early afternoon, I stopped to grab some lunch and wound up calling it a day. I was going to mow, but after lunch, I wound up working on the blog and got comfy. Abby came home from working in Greenwood with a loaner laptop from school…but they didn’t prepare it for use off-campus and she can’t log into it, so it’s pretty much useless. Luke came home a little while later after school to rest before heading back to school to get ready for opening night of football. Ann napped while I worked on the blog, finishing up editing pictures and videos and began writing out the html code of for this week’s entry and took a nap. Eventually, we got dressed and headed out to Shriver Field for the home opener of Luke’s senior football season. That evening, the young Pirates faced Shelbyville. Luke has been fortunate to go 3-0 vs. the Golden Bears during his high school tenure. I think Matt only beat them once, so they were focused on getting the sweep that evening. It was a hot, sunny evening out there. We picked up Gma and brought her along with us that evening. She sat on the bottom row so Abby sat with her. When Jamie came, he joined them for the 1st half. Molie & her dad also came out and sat down low with the ladies. We sat in our normal season seats with the Wests. The Messers would also join us in the 2nd half. There was a really good turnout for the game. I’d say the stands were about ¾ full that evening, which is more than we saw all of last year and probably the year before as well. This is a special batch of seniors this year with some really good kids with some really good talent. We are hopeful for the coming season – if we can keep everyone healthy. It was already a challenge for this first game, as we were missing two senior starters that night. Luke brought out one of the Pirate flags again that evening and was one of four captains at the coinflip. Luke started at running back on offense, middle linebacker on defense and also played on special teams. With it being so humid that evening, we were concerned that he was playing so much, but the coaches did a good job finding spots where he could come off the field and rest. The Pirates came out on fire, returning the opening kick for a TD. After the defense came up with a stop on 4th down, we came down and scored again. Then they made a couple plays and we had a couple penalties that extended drives and before we knew it, they had tied us at 14. To their credit, the Pirates fought back in the 2nd quarter and went up 28-14 at the half. After giving up a lot of yards on the first drive of the 2nd half, Luke and the defense came up with another 4th down stop to force a turnover on downs. After trading possessions a couple times, we finally scored again. We had some fast drives with some long scoring plays – both through the air and on the ground. It was a very exciting game and the Pirates wound up blowing out the Golden Bears, 42-21. The dream of an undefeated season is still alive! Luke played well on both sides of the ball, including scoring his first offensive touchdown of his high school career. Luke’s stats: defensively, he had 15 tackles (7 solo, 8 assists), including a tackle for loss. On offense, he carried the ball 4 times for 12 yards (3 yd avg), scoring one TD (2 yarder). He had 1 pancake and 3 de-cleaters, causing three injury TOs for the Golden Bears. Afterward, he wrapped up a great night at Shriver Field by joining Coach Moore in the press box to chat with John & Gary on WTRE, who carried the game again that evening on the radio. We chatted with him for a while afterward then let him go, as he was soaked and ready to get cleaned-up. He went with his teammates to Pizza King after the game then came home and went to bed. Meanwhile, Ann & I met up with Abby, Molie and her dad at Wings & Rings for a late dinner. By the time we got home that night, it was about midnight. Abs went on to bed with the dogs. I put on the NFL channel as Ann read and I watched a game while I wrote out all the html code for this week’s blog entry. At halftime, I finally decided I’d had enough and called it a night…

Delilah was up early, barking to be let out to go poo. It was for the best, since I needed to get up and get busy outside before it got too hot like last week. So, I loaded up Betty White and headed over to Mom & Sandy’s house for a quick mow & blow. I went inside and talked with the gals for a bit and got cooled down. Gigi said she would take Abs & I out to the Power of the Past so I could do some Hot Wheels hunting. So, I came home and got cleaned-up. When I got out of the shower, the girls were just getting home. They had gone to St. Paul to see Lori at Wild Flour for another batch of baked goodies. They took Delilah with them and I guess she had a great time. They stopped over at Gma & Gigi’s house, missing me by just a few minutes. We had a quick bite to eat and then Gigi came over and picked up Abby & I. It was so hot out there that I was a sweaty mess just standing still! I did have luck finding some cars, picking up about 30 Hot Wheels for about $.50 apiece. There was a good turnout that day and I’ve seen a ton of people out there as we drive by each day. We came home and enjoyed our fresh, hot pretzels and Abs had a frozen, chocolate-covered cheesecake slice on a stick. …mmm… Luke had gone into work at Hibbett’s that afternoon. I did a few things with this week’s blog entry then started checking in some of my new Hot Wheels and took it easy while the girls (Ann, Abs, Lola, Delilah) all napped. Even I was able to grab some quick zzz’s. I was awakened by the sound of Ann making dinner and Abby heading out the door. She went back up to Franklin to spend the night with her girlfriends. Ann & I threw pork loins on the grill and enjoyed a little porch time and a couple beers. Afterward, I went to Walmart to do our weekly supply shopping while Annie did the dishes and cleaned-up around the house. Luke got off work, came home for about 60 seconds and was right back out the door. He and his buds headed up to Rushville to see some girls that they met at the summer photo shoots. Later, they went back to Oak’s house and spent the night out there. That left Ann & I with another quiet night, alone with the dogs. We watched some of the SVU marathon on Ion, the 2nd episode of the Fantasy Island reboot on Fox as well as a new movie on HBO Max called Reminiscence. Ann fell asleep in her chair and went on to bed while I checked in a bunch of new Hot Wheels from the last couple weeks until the wee hours of the morning. Speaking of which, here are pictures of recent additions to my Hot Wheels collection.

hwc21.08.28 hwc21.08.29 hwc21.08.30 hwc21.08.31 hwc21.08.32 hwc21.08.33 hwc21.08.34 hwc21.08.35 hwc21.08.36

Lola had us up way too early on Sunday morning. Ann got up with her first and then I got up with her the second time. Unlike Ann, I left her outdoors for a few hours before bringing her back inside. Once Annie got up, we did our weekly household chores. Luke came home that morning from Oak’s house and loaded up the Chevy pickup with yard tools and went out to mow for Coach Harris. Ann made a big lunch, using the leftover pork loin to make us some great tacos along with some homemade salsa – yum! 😊 That afternoon, Luke went out to do stuff with his buddies and their cars while Ann & I put on Ancient Aliens and took a long nap with the dogs. Abs called that afternoon and said that she was going to stay up in Franklin again so that she will have a shorter commute to her internship in the morning. I watched the cup race at Michigan and took another nap while writing out this week’s blog entry. Ann made cheesy Fireworks popcorn for dinner that evening. We watched Pawn Stars for a while then I did stats with the action up on the big screen. Luke & Brayden stopped over for a while then went to go wash cars. Afterward, we watched the season 11 (and final season ☹) premiere of The Walking Dead and then Talking Dead before turning in a little early. It was a relaxing way to wind down the weekend and put the kibosh on another good week, here at the Scheu abode.

Next up is our Waybac segment, which continues to feature a batch of Deanna’s digital camera pictures from 2005. This week, we lead off in June for Luke’s 2nd birthday; in July we see Deanna’s new house, 3rd and 4th of July fun, Grace’s 5th birthday and Sandy’s nth birthday; in October we have pictures of Gma & Gigi; and in December we have Memaw & Gracie on Christmas Eve.

Waybac.2005.06.lbd22 Waybac.2005.06.lbd23 Waybac.2005.07.cadnh08 Waybac.2005.07.foj77 Waybac.2005.07.foj78 Waybac.2005.07.foj79 Waybac.2005.07.foj80 Waybac.2005.07.foj81 Waybac.2005.07.foj82 Waybac.2005.07.gbd35 Waybac.2005.07.gbd36 Waybac.2005.07.gbd37 Waybac.2005.07.sbd34 Waybac.2005.07.sbd35 Waybac.2005.07.sbd36 Waybac.2005.10.tbd07 Waybac.2005.10.tbd08 Waybac.2005.12.ce30 Waybac.2005.12.ce31 lp21.08.04

And finally, we have our video segment, which includes one new home movie this week as well as several from around the internet.

And that does it for this week’s edition of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one and stay safe out there. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply