This is The End…Beautiful Friend, The End

Well, there’s another week in the rearview mirror already. It was a week of mixed emotions. We celebrated me surviving another trip around the sun. We got to see all the kids a couple times. We got to do what we loved one more time – sit in the stands and cheer on our kids. However, we also said goodbye to the thing we love to do and continued to try and accept the changes in the dynamic of our little family. Mat worked from home in Carmel this week and had his first wresting practice. He said he had pretty good numbers – all things considered. Abby had classes in Franklin, worked at her internship in Greenwood and still found time for a social life with her girlfriends and Mr. Will. Luke had school and football practices this week. He also played in the semi-final round of Sectionals and enjoyed spending time with his buddies, working out and hanging out. Ann had a full week of work and spent some time with her friends and did a little scrapping. I had a really fast week at work, doing my monthly safety and regulatory stuff. I fell well short of my exercise goal, logging just over ten miles of walking. Due to the weather, I only managed to play three rounds of frisbee golf and didn’t mow at all this weekend. The World Series started with the Braves & Astros…and I didn’t even care – not a fan of either team and probably couldn’t tell you a player on either roster. It was a cold, wet week as Autumn is in full swing now and my favorite time of the year has begun – sweatshirts and shorts, baby! Hello again and welcome to the latest incarnation of the Scheu Family Blog.

It was back to work and school on Monday morning. It came way too early for me after staying up late last night. Thankfully, work went by really fast. I was able to get most of my quarterly report done along with catching up all my paperwork. The boys and I went to White Castle for lunch. I hadn’t had sliders in a very long time. I think the last time was with Ann after a concert or something, up in Indy. I got busy after a big meeting with our new boss that afternoon and before I even realized it, it was time to pick up Ann and I had run out of time to do any walking. Granted, it rained all day, but it finally started letting up in the afternoon. By the time I got home and headed out to the park to play frisbee golf, it was drizzling and the course was drenched. I was glad I changed shoes because by the second hole, I was sloshing my toes with every step. I had some nice tee shots, but my middle game was crap. I was able to squeak out a one-under-par 26. When I got home, Ann had some firecracker salmon, roasted potatoes and garlic corn – yum! I got all of this week’s pictures culled – some 1500! We watched some DVR’d shows and then flipped on the MNF game as Ann went to bed and I promptly fell asleep on the couch. Luke had a good day at school and a cold, wet practice. He worked out at the YMCA that night then came home and played on his Xbox until bedtime. Hell, he was still on it when I finally drug my weary butt to bed… Here are pictures from Luke’s football game in the opening round of Sectionals at Charlestown last week.

lp21.10.05 lfcs21.00 lfcs21.01 lfcs21.02 lfcs21.04 lfcs21.05 lfcs21.06 lfcs21.07 lfcs21.08 lfcs21.09 lfcs21.10 lfcs21.11 lfcs21.12 lfcs21.13 lfcs21.14 lfcs21.15 lfcs21.16 lfcs21.17 lfcs21.18 lfcs21.19 lfcs21.20 lfcs21.21 lfcs21.22 lfcs21.23 lfcs21.24 lfcs21.25 lfcs21.26 lfcs21.27 lfcs21.28 lfcs21.29 lfcs21.30 lfcs21.31 lfcs21.32 lfcs21.33 lfcs21.34 lfcs21.35 lfcs21.36 lfcs21.37 lfcs21.38 lfcs21.39 lfcs21.40 lfcs21.41 lfcs21.42 lfcs21.43 lfcs21.44 lfcs21.45 lfcs21.46 lfcs21.47 lfcs21.48 lfcs21.49 lfcs21.50 lfcs21.51 lfcs21.52 lfcs21.53 lfcs21.54 lfcs21.55 lfcs21.56 lfcs21.57 lfcs21.58 lfcs21.59 lfcs21.60 lfcs21.61 lfcs21.62 lfcs21.63 lfcs21.64 lfcs21.65 lfcs21.66 lfcs21.67 lfcs21.68 lfcs21.69 lfcs21.70 lfcs21.71 lfcs21.72 lfcs21.73 lfcs21.74 lfcs21.75 lfcs21.76 lfcs21.77 lfcs21.78 lfcs21.79 lfcs21.80 lfcs21.81 lfcs21.82 lfcs21.83 lfcs21.84 lfcs21.85 lfcs21.86 lfcs21.87 lfcs21.88 lfcs21.89 lfcs21.90 lfcs21.91 lfcs21.92 lfcs21.93 lfcs12.94 lfcs21.95 lfcs21.96 lfcs21.97 lfcs21.98 lfcs21.99 lfcs21.100 lfcs21.101 lfcs21.102 lfcs21.103 lfcs21.104 lfcs21.105 lfcs21.106 lfcs21.107 lfcs21.108 lfcs21.109 lfcs21.110 lfcs21.111 lfcs21.112 lfcs21.113 lfcs21.114 lfcs21.115 lfcs21.116 lfcs21.117 lfcs21.118 lfcs21.119 lfcs21.120 lfcs21.121 lfcs21.122 lfcs21.123 lfcs21.124 lfcs21.125 lfcs21.126 lfcs21.127 lfcs21.128 lfcs21.129 lfcs21.130 lfcs21.131 lfcs21.132 lfcs21.133 lfcs21.134 lfcs21.135 lfcs21.136 lfcs21.137 lfcs21.138 lfcs21.139 lfcs21.140 lfcs21.141 lfcs21.142 lfcs21.143 lfcs21.144 lfcs11.145 lfcs21.146 lfcs21.147 lfcs21.148 lfcs21.149 lfcs21.150 lfcs21.151 lfcs21.152 lfcs21.153 lfcs21.154 lfcs21.155 lfcs21.156 lfcs21.157 lfcs21.158 lfcs21.159 lfcs21.160 lfcs21.161 lfcs21.162 lfcs21.163 lfcs21.164 lfcs21.165 lfcs21.166 lfcs21.167 lfcs21.168 lfcs21.169 lfcs21.171 lfcs21.172

After raining all night, it had finally stopped by Tuesday morning. It had gotten warmer and humid when I let the dogs out late last night. By that morning, however, I had to go back in to get my sweatshirt and ran the defrost on our commute into work. It was another fast day. I facilitated an orientation class and finished my quarterly report. After doing our monthly generator test, the guys and I went out for lunch at Snappy Tomato. It was packed – more than we’ve ever seen it, which is good for them! I got everything together to start my EOC rounds tomorrow and got out that afternoon to finally do some walking. I was a little late and came up short of three miles. It was gorgeous that afternoon, nice and cool in the 50s with lots of bright sunshine. I got in another 9 holes of disc golf that evening when we got home. Luke went into school late that morning as they had PSATs. After school, he had a rough football practice. When I got back that night, he was in the shower and the bathroom looked like a sauna. He was soaking his cold, sore body. He returned to the Y that evening to lift weights then came home and retreated to his bedroom to play online video games again. Annie & I had a find-your-own dinner that evening and we binge-watched the next four episodes of NCIS Hawaii before calling it a night…

We woke up with a frost warning on Wednesday morning. Yep, temps dipped all the way down into the lower 30s overnight and it didn’t get out of the 50s. Ann & I both enjoyed fast days again. Outside of a meeting with my new boss, a quick lunch with Justin and a fire drill; I stayed focused on one thing all day – my EOC rounds. I’ve only been able to get them done in one day a handful of times but I was able to knock them out that day. Justin & I ran to Kroger for lunch and brought Ann her lunch from there as well. We had a good fire drill that afternoon and I even got out of work on time for once. I had a quick pace while exercising on a gorgeous afternoon and logged three miles before picking up Ann and heading home. Although I had sent him a message early that morning, I called Robby that afternoon during my walk. He was up in Tennessee, visiting the boys and their families for his 42nd birthday. It was good to talk to him for a while; I need to call him more often than I do. By the time I got on the frisbee golf course that night, it was down near the 40s with a stiff, cold breeze. I wound up putting on a sweatshirt which kept me warm but also made throwing harder. Between that and the wind, it was challenging that evening. I was happy to get a par on the course that night and by the time I was heading home, the light was beginning to wane. I know there will be a time in the near future that I won’t have enough light to play after work any longer, unfortunately. When I got home, Ann had made some chicken pasta stuff for dinner that she just “threw together.” Luke got home from school and a brutal football practice that left him bruised and sore and went straight to the bathroom, enjoying a long, steamy shower before joining us at the dinner table. As if one dinner wasn’t enough, he later went to dinner with his football buddies in Columbus later that night. Ann and I watched a few DVR’d shows that night, including beginning season 3 of You. We napped on and off all evening before giving it up and going on to bed. Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis21.10.371 sis21.10.372 sis21.10.373 sis21.10.374 sis21.10.375 sis21.10.376 sis21.10.377 sis21.10.378 sis21.10.379 sis21.10.380 sis21.10.381 sis21.10.382 sis21.10.383 sis21.10.384 sis21.10.385 sis21.10.386 sis21.10.387 sis21.10.388 sis21.10.389 sis21.10.390 sis21.10.391 sis21.10.392 sis21.10.393 sis21.10.394 sis21.10.395 sis21.10.396 sis21.10.397 sis21.10.398 sis21.10.399 sis21.10.400 sis21.10.401 sis21.10.402 sis21.10.403 sis21.10.404 sis21.10.405 sis21.10.406 sis21.10.407 sis21.10.408 sis21.10.409 sis21.10.410 sis21.10.411 sis21.10.412 sis21.10.413 sis21.10.414 sis21.10.415 sis21.10.416 sis21.10.417 sis21.10.418 sis21.10.419 sis21.10.420 sis21.10.421 sis21.10.422 sis21.10.423 sis21.10.424 sis21.10.425 sis21.10.426 sis21.10.427 sis21.10.428 sis21.10.429 sis21.10.431 sis21.10.432 sis21.10.433 sis21.10.434 sis21.10.435 sis21.10.436 sis21.10.437 sis21.10.438 sis21.10.439 sis21.10.440 sis21.10.441 sis21.10.442 sis21.10.443 sis21.10.444 sis21.10.445 sis21.10.446 sis21.10.447

We were awakened early on Thursday morning. It was Mom & Sandy. I was worried that something had happened – a phone call at 4 am is never a good thing…but that day was the exception to the rule. It was Mom singing Happy Birthday to me. I don’t think it has ever sounded so good at that time of the day – lol! The wind howled – literally – all night in our bedroom window but it felt so nice! It was cold enough in our room that I actually turned on the bed warmer for the first time this season – perfect sleeping weather!! 😊 It rained pretty much all day that day. Justin & Vic took me out to lunch that day for my 53rd birthday. We tried to go to Arni’s but it was packed so we went on down the road to Five Guys and had burgers, fries, sodas and shakes – yum! Justin ended up having to leave early because Gabe was sick at home. I had an easy day – finishing up some loose ends on my monthly rounds, writing up work orders and doing weekly video surveillance rounds. After our quarterly meeting (Quality Council), my lunch hit me hard and afterward I did a few things in the office and called it a day. It was cold and rainy when I finished up work so I went over to the Fair Oaks mall and walked a little under three miles inside. It was much too wet to hit the park that evening, so I skipped my golf game. We went to Needlers and picked up supplies for that evening. Ann made a hot Italian sandwich for me to take to Poker Night that evening. We met up at the Bewley Bar for a rollicking night of cards, a ton of food, plenty of spirits and good football game. We ate like kings that night – Rick made gumbo with a mix and recipe he brought home from NOLA; Shawn made cheesy sausage dip; Scott had some deer sausage and cheese cubes among other stuff – it was a great feast! We were planning to play at the Sunken Boat Bar and play outside in the pavilion so we could smoke stogies but it was hit by lightning this week and sustained substantial damage. ☹ Meanwhile, Luke had a fast day of school and then had an easy football walkthrough. Hopefully it won’t be his last practice, but I told him to take time to breathe it all in and enjoy the moment in case it is. They had a big team dinner at one of the boys’ houses after practicing that night. That meant Ann enjoyed a quiet night with the dogs (it was a birthday present for her too!). I heard from all the kids that day, which was nice. That evening, my winning streak continued – I won the football pool and then was successful again with cards, walking away with about $25 total on the night…which was just icing on the cake. The real prize that night was the comradery; we had a great time with a ton of laughs. We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp21.10.336 smp21.10.337 smp21.10.338 smp21.10.339 smp21.10.340 smp21.10.341 smp21.10.342 smp21.10.343 smp21.10.345 smp21.10.346 smp21.10.347 smp21.10.348 smp21.10.349 smp21.10.350 smp21.10.351 smp21.10.352 smp21.10.353 smp21.10.354 smp21.10.355 smp21.10.356 smp21.10.357 smp21.10.358 smp21.10.359 smp21.10.360 smp21.10.361 smp21.10.362 smp21.10.363 smp21.10.364 smp21.10.365 smp21.10.366 smp21.10.367 smp21.10.368 smp21.10.369 smp21.10.370 smp21.10.371 smp21.10.372 smp21.10.373 smp21.10.374 smp21.10.375 smp21.10.376 smp21.10.377 smp21.10.378 smp21.10.379 smp21.10.380 smp21.10.381 smp21.10.382 smp21.10.383 smp21.10.385 smp21.10.386 smp21.10.387 smp21.10.388 smp21.10.389 smp21.10.390 smp21.10.391 smp21.10.392 smp21.10.393 smp21.10.394 smp21.10.395 smp21.10.396 smp21.10.397 smp21.10.398 smp21.10.399 smp21.10.400 smp21.10.401 smp21.10.402 smp21.10.403 smp21.10.404 smp21.10.405 smp21.10.406 smp21.10.407 smp21.10.408 smp21.10.409 smp21.10.410 smp21.10.411 smp21.10.412 smp21.10.413 smp21.10.414 smp21.10.415 smp21.10.416 smp21.10.417 smp21.10.418 smp21.10.419 smp21.10.420 smp21.10.421 smp21.10.422 smp21.10.423 smp21.10.424 smp21.10.425 smp21.10.426 smp21.10.427 smp21.10.428 smp21.10.429 smp21.10.431 smp21.10.430 smp21.10.432 smp21.10.433 smp21.10.435 smp21.10.436 smp21.10.437 smp21.10.438 smp21.10.439 smp21.10.440 smp21.10.441 smp21.10.442

We were slow to rise on Friday morning. We did leave earlier than normal so that Ann could meet up with a vendor who was running network lines at her office. We still had time to go to Dunkin before I dropped her off downtown. I came back and worked from home after running a couple errands. The dogs love it when I’m home on Fridays – they go in and out all day and run around the house and yard. It’s quite different from the other days of the week when they’re couped up for hours on end. I picked Annie around lunchtime and she took a nap with Delilah while I continued working out in the family room until the late afternoon. Luke came home for a bit and got everything he needed for the big game that night. Ann reminded him to take it all in because it’s likely his final home game. Win or lose, we will most likely be on the road for the remainder of the playoff series. It rained all day and was still damp and overcast when we started getting ready. We were hoping for lots of rain and/or snow. My belief is that rain is the great equalizer. They are bigger and faster but we are pretty close on strength…and I know we have the edge on heart. Playing in the cold rain and mud takes heart and inner strength – something this team has had through the years in spades. Matt and Abby came home to watch Lukey that evening. Abs brought Will with her as well. Jamie didn’t come out and Mom & Sandy stayed in the car, outside the west end of the field. It rained the entire time and we were all thoroughly soaked by the time game even started! In fact, I stepped in a big puddle in the parking lot on our way to the gate and my feet were already sloshing in my boots by the time I was walking up the steps to our seats. Thankfully, this was not our first rodeo and we were amply prepared for the night. By kickoff, the kids were pretty fired up and ready for the game. The Tigers won the coin flip and confidently chose to take the ball first to try and set the tone. True to form, the marched right down the field and scored an early TD. From there, the defense stiffened and they didn’t reach the endzone again until late in the game. The defense was outstanding that night, led by their senior linebackers – Oakley and Luke, who both had one the best games of their careers. We sorely missed their friends Alex (COVID) and Brayden (knee), who missed the game. They’re both seniors that play on both sides of the ball. We were called for a safety in the 2nd quarter, when a questionable “intentional grounding” call was made after Sam got hit while throwing the ball to Oakley. Coach Moore pled his case, but the ref wasn’t having any of it. It was a pretty BS call for us to get at home, I have to say. However, the defense came to the rescue and got a big turnover and we were finally able to get on the board to pull within 2 points before the half. Unfortunately, it would be the last score of the night for the Pirates. We had a couple chances to kick field goals, but the snaps were really hard in the rain and neither were good enough, resulting in one being blocked and one never even getting the snap down. Again, the defense played their butts off and forced more stops and another turnover in the 4th quarter, when Luke forced a fumble with only a few minutes left in the game. At that point, I knew in my heart that we were going to come down and tie the game and force OT. The Pirates got down to about the 25 yard-line and missed a 4th and 5 pass that went to a sophomore. I’m not sure why we didn’t put the game in the hands of the seniors, but the kid was open but the pass was a little long and it fell incomplete. With that, it was just a matter of time before their season ended after a couple kneel downs. We met up with Luke & Oak after game and hugged and thanked them for their efforts and dedication to the program. They definitely left the program better than they came in. Although there were no little guys asking for autographs (there was on Senior Night!), there were tears and heartbreak. It was the end of the era that we had been dreading. We all truly believed we would be playing next week. It was hard to accept but we told Luke how proud we were of him and walked out of the stadium for the last time as football parents. We’ll have to work on redefining ourselves somehow… We met up with the kids out at Wings & Rings afterward. The Bests joined us to drown our sorrows with a few rounds of brews and some comfort food. I know the emotions are raw for Luke right now and I hope that in the coming weeks he will consider going out for wrestling because right now he is saying he’s not playing. Monty & I agreed that Luke & Oak should both go to Franklin next year so we can continue doing this football thing together for another four years…

The dogs allowed us to sleep in a little on Saturday morning for a change. Delilah & I ran Ann to Burney then ran a couple errands and grabbed breakfast. DJ loves their breakfast burritos! 😊 It continued raining and was damp, overcast and cold all day. I was hoping to get out and mow but that didn’t happen. Instead, I worked on editing pictures all day, shaving down this week’s batch from 1600+ to under 400! Luke came home for a few hours after staying the night at Oakley’s pad last night. He helped me do a couple errands around the house then played some online video games with Matthew before going into work at Hibbett’s all night. He came home later to get a few things then spent the night at a friend’s house. I got Annie picked up and when we got back to town, we had Trick-or-Treaters in the neighborhood. In lieu of having them out on Sunday night, the city held Beggar’s Night (at least that’s what we called it in LaPorte when it wasn’t on Halloween). We had more visitors than last year, but still nowhere near what we are used to having out here. I texted the kids that I missed not being in the front yard, playing catch with a football until it was too dark to see it any longer. I guess changes are pretty common these days, huh? Annie made breakfast for dinner, which really hit the spot. We watched the Great Pumpkin and then I put on The Exorcist and she went on to bed. Afterward, I stayed up late, writing out the html code for this week’s blog and watched a few great episodes of SVU on Ion TV. Even though I’d seen the season 13 cliffhanger and the ensuing first two episodes of season 14, they are so well written that it has to be my favorite storyline of all 500 episodes (we watched that 500th episode earlier this week) – there’s so many plot twists that it’s epic – even by their standards…

hwc21.10.47 hwc21.10.48 hwc21.10.49 hwc21.10.50 hwc21.10.51 hwc21.10.52 hwc21.10.53 hwc21.10.54 hwc21.10.55 hwc21.10.56 hwc21.10.57 hwc21.10.58

Ann got up with the dogs on Halloween morning, allowing me to sleep in until after 9! I got up and helped Ann do our weekly household chores. We cleaned up the house before the kids started arriving for lunch. Ann made me fish tacos and corn dip for my birthday. Mary brought over a cool Hot Wheels cake that was really awesome! That was followed by the arrival of Mom, Sandy & Pixie as well as Dee & Jamie. They were all acting very strangely and when they called me into the kitchen for cake & ice cream, I was surprised to find them all dressed as me, holding up pictures (masks?) on a stick in front of their faces with giant photos of myself! And if that wasn’t enough – in apt move for Halloween – they were dressed as different versions of me: Matt was Yardwork Tom; Abby was Tailgate Tom; Luke was Sunday Tom; Taylor was Travel Tom; Ann was Playoff Football Tom – it was really funny and super cool!! 😊 It was Ms. Taylor’s idea to do the dress-up…very creative! And I hear it was Sandy’s idea for the masks. It was a little surreal to see 9 Tom’s singing the death-march version of the Birthday Song to me – LOL! My only regret is that I didn’t get pictures and videos of it all from my perspective!! After eating sweet treats, it was time for presents – I got a box of about 50 different Hot Wheels that I’d gotten from the past few weeks and put away until today; next, I got some cool frisbee golf stuff – microfiber towels and a 16’ telescoping hook that will help me retrieve discs from the water, trees or rough; I also got a nice spatula for grilling that has GRIZ carved into it and a bottle opener on the end; but my favorite gift was the rare bottle of the new Blackened x Willet cask-strength rye whiskey! With it being a limited-edition spirit, I’m gonna set that one back for when we have grandkids! I guess they had an awful time finding it and had all but given up hope when one became available in Greenwood on Friday morning. The best part – they didn’t have to pay secondary market prices for it. I was thrilled and had no idea how difficult it was to find or how expensive it was! Apparently, the family plotted things all week for my birthday and did a really good job pulling it off. We watched RedZone and enjoyed some football for a couple hours, including the Colts who went into OT but ultimately lost again. I played Justin in fantasy football this week and by the time the early games ended, he was whipping my butt pretty solidly and his best player doesn’t even play until Monday night. ☹ After Dak was ruled out and the late games ended, Ann made cheesy Fireworks popcorn for dinner. Luke took a long nap and missed everyone leaving. He wasn’t feeling well but after he napped, Oak came over to use our internet for his PS4 and while they went to the Y to work out – against our better judgement. I had time before the Cowboys game to watch a DVR’d show, so I threw on the new Dr. Who episode. They’re doing a special, six-episode story called Flux. The first chapter that night was called The Halloween Apocalypse. I’ve heard Jodi is leaving the show at the end of this season…I wonder if they’ll come back with another female doctor or go back to a male? The Cowboys started their unproven young backup, Cooper Rush from Central Michigan, that evening. The offense struggled most of the game, for sure; but the defense stepped-up – big time. There were some horseshit calls that even pissed-off the announcers. I’m not sure what some of these officials were doing. Having watched so many games this year, it’s obvious that the calls are not consistent which makes it hard to be aggressive on defense – something that wins games and championships…and is really what football should be about. And in the end, though, I received one final present…a big W for the big D on SNF. The Cowboys are now 6-1, atop the NFC East and vying for the best overall record in the NFL. It was a perfect way to wrap up a great weekend and relaxing way to put the kibosh on another week, here at the Scheu abode before we get up tomorrow and start it all again…

Next up is our Waybac section, which continues to feature Dee’s digital camera pictures from 2006. We lead off in March where we find Abby climbing walls in a dress (typical) with Grace, during their Chicago day trip; in May have some great pix of the kids on Memorial Day weekend; July has pictures of the Indy car show, the county fair and Grace’s birthday; next is a great pic of Dee & Gracie at the Indy Zoo; next we see Abby & Keith’s birthdays in September; in November we have some great pix from Thanxmas; and in December we have Christmas Eve and a spa day for the girls.

Waybac.2006.03.ct10 Waybac.2006.05.md10 Waybac.2006.05.md11 Waybac.2006.05.md12 Waybac.2006.05.md13 Waybac.2006.05.md14 Waybac.2006.07.cs07 Waybac.2006.07.dcf10 Waybac.2006.07.dcf11 Waybac.2006.07.dcf12 Waybac.2006.07.gbd09 Waybac.2006.07.gbd10 Waybac.2006.08.iz01 Waybac.2006.09.abd07 Waybac.2006.09.abd08 Waybac.2006.09.kbd04 Waybac.2006.11.td10 Waybac.2006.11.td11 Waybac.2006.11.td12 Waybac.2006.12.ce13 Waybac.2006.12.ce14 Waybac.2006.12.sd15 Waybac.2006.12.sd16 lp21.10.05

I actually remembered to write down a quote for our Shit that Luke Says. It was one night after football practice. ‘Lilah was running around like the big puppy that she is and did something goofy. We all chuckled at her behavior and Luke quips, “I can relate with Delilah…usually I’m pretty smart but sometimes I’m dumb as hell.” LOL 😊

Next up is our video segment which includes one home movie from this week as well as several from around the internet.

And that does it for another episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one and stay safe out there. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply