…You See it’s in The Blood

It was a very fast week that kept us busy as usual. It looks like we’ve finally got the blog feed working on Facebook, but if you are reading this as a note on there; you are missing half the experience. Come see our blog the way it is intended to be seen at http://scheumann.us. Lately, we’ve had some issues out here in the subdivision with a couple of car break-ins. The police have stepped up their rounds, which has helped. Everyone out here is also more aware as well. They have arrested a couple different guys, but it has everyone out here on edge, as you might imagine. The kids returned for their first full week of school. Remember how last week we discussed that JT said the fuel pump on the van could last 2 days or 2 years…well wouldn’t you know it, on my way in to work the van broke down again. And yes, it was two days and it died Monday morning on the way in to work. Jim was kind enough to come get me and tow it back to his place. Ann left early to get me so we could get back to G’burg that evening. Luke had soccer practice. So we dropped him off, took Abby to tap practice, picked up Matt from football, got Abby & Ann and came home long enough to turn around and have Ann take me to JT’s to pick the van back up. Thanks to him for getting on it so quickly! He has also been working on the truck for me all week. We want to make sure it will be mechanically sound in time for Matt to use it when he passes Driver’s Ed. We had a better morning on Tuesday. All the kids seem to be getting the routine down finally. My mentor, Dennis, came in to visit for the first time in a while. We went out for a long lunch and had a good talk. Ann and I rode together since she had to leave early to interview a gal for a job opening she has at work. I got Abby to soccer and came home to exercise with Lukey. He has almost worn out the back tire on his new bike while practicing his “burn-outs.” Tonight, he discovered how cool it was to put a card in his spokes when I showed him how to make his bike sound like a motorcycle. Grandma loaned us a few clothes pins and he has been so excited ever since! He thinks it is as cool as I did when I was a kid. Ann took Abby to jazz class that night. We had a nice, quiet evening on Wednesday (our only night off). Luke and I exercised for a long time, playing basketball after walking and riding bikes. Ann was supposed to go to Bunco with her friends, but just didn’t have the energy to commit. Instead she made tacos and did more back-to-school shopping. It has been a little cooler during the first part of the week. However, Thursday was another hot one – creeping back up in to the mid-nineties again. I drove the van in to work and for the first time in nearly a week, made it there and back! Yeah!! Abby had soccer that evening. I dropped her off and came home to exercise with Luke. We then went back to the soccer fields and played catch until she was done. Matt went to the team dinner after football practice, as they do the night before each varsity game. Ann was late getting home as she and her gals threw a good-bye party for their departing co-worker, so the two little’s and I grabbed drive-through just before another huge warm front pushed through the area. It brought with it a nasty storm that had more lightning than I’d seen in a long time. I’ll bet Matt and I saw a couple hundred strikes in the span of about 10 minutes – it was wild… and from the believe it or not department…despite school being in for only a week – Matt is getting straight A’s! Ha-ha!! …and don’t ask about those pictures of Luke, but it was awfully funny…that poor kid…I have to protect him from his manipulating siblings…

vfb11.79 aim.jpg lam11.1 lam11.2 msa11.08 stsw11.08a stsw11.08b lid1 lid2

We had a little drama before school as the kids were a little grumpy. Thank God it was Friday. Abby ran for Student Council and Ann helped her make up some cute signs last night. As it turned out, she did make it – but only as an alternate. We’re still proud of her though! Luke had soccer practice right after work. Bu walked with me around the soccer fields while the Duke practiced. We left there and met up with Ann who had been enjoying Beer Friday after work. Matt had his varsity football home opener that evening vs. the Shelbyville Golden Bears. He was all pumped up for the game as was I. In fact, I was so nervous that I left my wallet at home and my phone in the car! It was a great game for the Pirates as they dominated the game and won 22-7 to start the season 1-0! Matt had a chance to go in at DT a couple times but never had his number called. The same could be said for the offensive side as well – there were opportunities to get some of the other kids a little playing time, but never got the chance. Despite being up by 3 touchdowns with 10 minutes to play and 2 TDs with six minutes left, the coach kept the starters in and gave none of the younger players any PT. Oh well. He did get in two plays at the VERY end – a chance to go kneel down for the final plays of the game. He was pretty frustrated, but I encouraged him to keep working hard and he’d get his chance. Afterwards, we went to Buffalo Wings and Rings to celebrate his first varsity action. Ann and I dominated the trivia game. 😛

asc11.1 mfsgb11.1 mfsgb11.2 mfsgb11.3 mfsgb11.4 mfsgb11.5 mfsgb11.6 mfsgb11.7 mfsgb11.8 mfsgb11.9 mfsgb11.10 mfsgb11.11 mfsgb11.12

We were up early again on Saturday, as Matt had football practice first thing that morning. …Too early in fact, as he mistakenly had me get him there an hour early with the coaches! I eventually got him there at the correct time and it was all good. It gave Abby and I a chance to do our monthly preventive maintenance to the cars, checking all the fluids, etc. Later, we went to Luke’s soccer game against the Sunman orange Fox team. Lukey was one of the captains and won the coin toss! He did very well again, but it was so hot and humid out there that he and his teammates all wore down quickly. We were missing a kid or two, so everyone played a lot of minutes. In fact, Luke played the entire game without a break. He did well with ball control and crisp passing. He took a couple shots but still has not yet scored this year. I had to leave shortly before the half to get Abby to her soccer game, over in Sunman. They were leading 1-0 when we left, but the team ended up losing to a very good team, 3-4 to even their record at 1-1. Ann said one of the funniest moments of the game was when Luke was on the near sideline and quipped to a particularly aggressive opponent, This is payback!” and promptly stole the ball and took off down the field! LOL

lssof11.1 lssof11.2 lssof11.3 lssof11.4 lssof11.5 lssof11.6 lssof11.7 lssof11.8 lssof11.9 lssof11.10 lssof11.11 lssof11.12 lssof11.13 lssof11.14 lssof11.15 lssof11.16 lssof11.17 lssof11.18 lssof11.19 lssof11.20 lssof11.21 lssof11.22 lssof11.23 lssof11.24 lssof11.25 lssof11.26 lssof11.27 lssof11.28 lssof11.29 lssof11.30 lssof11.31 lssof11.32 lssof11.33 lssof11.34 lssof11.35 lssof11.36 lssof11.37 lssof11.38 lssof11.39 lssof11.40 lssof11.41 lssof11.42 lssof11.43 lssof11.44 lssof11.45 lssof11.46 lssof11.47 lssof11.48

Granted, it was very warm in Greensburg but Sunman was even hotter for Bu’s game, which had a high-noon start. There was a large crowd there as always. They have a very nice set up out behind their elementary school, but parking is always at a premium there. The girls still have a long way to go, but did much better. Their defense was improved, but they still have trouble scoring. They didn’t lose this time out…but they didn’t win either. Instead, they battled to a 1-1 tie to pull their record to 0-1-1 to start the young season. Abby took three shots but couldn’t find the back of the net again. Despite the heat and a visit from “Aunt Flow,” she did pretty darn good out there. Like her brother, she ended up on the ground a few times but was more aggressive than I have seen her in years. I was very proud of how she battled the Sunman red team, sitting only for the first 3 minutes of the 2nd half. Per her request, we stopped at the little gas station off the interstate before heading home to grab a couple snacks. It has become a tradition she cherishes, as she had been mentioning it to me for the past week that I needed to be the parent to take her so we could stop there on our way home. 😛

assr11.1a assr11.2a assr11.3a assr11.4a assr11.5a assr11.6a assr11.7a assr11.8a assr11.9a assr11.10a assr11.11a assr11.12a assr11.13a assr11.14a assr11.15a assr11.16a assr11.17a assr11.18a assr11.19a assr11.20a assr11.21a assr11.22a assr11.23a assr11.24a

We got home and took showers before heading right back out again on I-74. This time, we went north, up to Indy to meet up with the Scheu extended family up at Rick’s Boat House on the west side of town. It was my cousin Vicki’s birthday…her 50th, in fact!! We gave her a hard time about being the oldest of all the cousins. LOL! It was great to see everyone for the first time in quite a while (we didn’t make it to Christmas last year). Uncle John was sponsoring a golf tourney at one of his courses, so he couldn’t make it, but June was there…as was Barney & Steph. Although none of their kids were there, their new little one (and the youngest Scheu currently in the family) was in-tow. Little Parker (Haley’s son) is awfully cute – and Abby sure took a shine to him. Kimmy was there as well, but Lindsay was out of town. Our good family friend Bill Bailey came with Barney. I don’t know which sounds worse – Grandpa Barney or Great Grandma June! Uncle Chuck and Cindy made it, as did Cathy & Tom (on their secret mission from the Carolinas). Aunt Sue and Jackie made it from Texas and Bill & Blancha were able to make it too. Of course the guest of honor was also in attendance. Vicki was sure surprised. Her boys, Seth and Daniel, escorted her in and she was totally unaware…they did good! Aunt Sally and Scotty were there, as was Chris, Tricia and their little ones. Luke hit it off well with their boys, especially Jack. Chris and I got a good laugh watching the three of them run around, reminding us of 30 years ago or so – calling them the little Chris, Jason and Tommy! 😉 Mary and Bob weren’t able to make it up from Florida, unfortunately. Tom and Barb were there and that was who we spent the most time with, naturally. They looked great. I hope Kimmy got some good pictures, as our camera continues to have issues and several of our photos came out blurry…ugh… We missed .38 Special, who was in Columbus for “Rock the Park” this year on Saturday night. Our friend Jeff who helps to put the festival on each year gave us a hard time about missing it. We sat with him on Friday night at the football game (with all the parents) and then again on Saturday morning spoke again, as he volunteers his time to referee soccer games. I’m sure it was a great show, but we had an awesome time seeing all my family again. I wish we could see them more often. On Sunday, we slept in for the first time this week. We did our weekly chores around the house. Matt attended a wrestling function at the coach’s house. We were officially invited to this year’s neighborhood block party by our neighbor who was going door-to-door this afternoon. It is coming up this next weekend. The kids finished up their homework. I fixed Phyllis and Dick’s laptop again and they brought us fresh produce. Ann made some great salsa. She also made an awesome meatloaf that didn’t last long! Luke and I got to watch some racing and kick back for a little while. It was a great way to end the week – nice and relaxing. However, as I was finishing up this entry, late at night; I did see some headlights out in the street. It was more police just down the block. Maybe they caught the little SOB that keeps getting in to cars out here. Guess we’ll have to check the paper tomorrow or listen to Gigi on WTRE to find out what happened…

vfb11.1 vfb11.2 vfb11.3 vfb11.4 vfb11.5 vfb11.6 vfb11.7 vfb11.8 vfb11.9 vfb11.10 vfb11.11 vfb11.12 vfb11.13 vfb11.14 vfb11.15 vfb11.16 vfb11.17 vfb11.17a vfb11.18 vfb11.19 vfb11.19a vfb11.20 vfb11.20a vfb11.21 vfb11.22 vfb11.23 vfb11.24 vfb11.25 vfb11.26 vfb11.27 vfb11.28 vfb11.29 vfb11.30 vfb11.31 vfb11.32 vfb11.33 vfb11.34 vfb11.35 vfb11.36 vfb11.37 vfb11.38 vfb11.39 vfb11.40 vfb11.41 vfb11.42 vfb11.43 vfb11.44 vfb11.45 vfb11.46 vfb11.47 vfb11.48 vfb11.49 vfb11.50 vfb11.51 vfb11.52 vfb11.53 vfb11.54 vfb11.55 vfb11.56 vfb11.57 vfb11.58 vfb11.59 vfb11.60 vfb11.61 vfb11.62 vfb11.63 vfb11.64 vfb11.65 vfb11.66 vfb11.67 vfb11.68 vfb11.69 vfb11.70 vfb11.71 vfb11.72 vfb11.73 vfb11.74 vfb11.75 vfb11.76 vfb11.77 vfb11.78 vfb11.79 vfb11.80 vfb11.81 vfb11.82 vfb11.83 vfb11.84 vfb11.85 vfb11.86 vfb11.87 vfb11.88 vfb11.89 vfb11.90 vfb11.91 vfb11.92 vfb11.93 vfb11.94 vfb11.95 vfb11.96 vfb11.97

Here are this week’s videos, including a couple of this week’s events and one you may have seen Abby post on Facebook this week. There are also several other videos from around the net:


Next, let’s switch on the Waybac machine and take a look at some older pictures…leading off, we start in the seventies and eighties with a cool picture from Columbian Park at the old Monkey Island; Ann with her dance partner in about 1976 or so at Dixon Dance Studio; my old friend Tony Santolino with his family at the Bozo Show in Chicago (w/ Bozo & Cookie); and our Rockwood St home in ’84.

Waybac.1970s.CPMI Waybac.1976.awdpadds Waybac.1979.tsabs Waybac.1984.rshilp

Next we move on to the 90s for my college graduation party at home, up in LaPorte in June – including Mom and Rob getting ready and Sharon and Dan having fun; then Christmas in ’92 up there as well and finally Abby’s birth in September of ’99.

Waybac.1991.06.cgpilp1 Waybac.1991.06.cgpilp1a Waybac.1991.06.cgpilp2 Waybac.1991.06.cgpilp2a Waybac.1991.06.cgpilp3 Waybac.1991.06.cgpilp4 Waybac.1992.12.cilp1 Waybac.1992.12.cilp2 Waybac.1992.12.cilp3 Waybac.1992.12.cilp4 Waybac.1992.12.cilp5 Waybac.1999.09.16.abicrh1a Waybac.1999.09.16.abicrh2a Waybac.1999.09.16.abicrh3a Waybac.1999.09.16.abicrh4

And finally the turn of the century finds us in May of 2K in Florida, visiting Bob & Jackie; Matt playing soccer at the YMCA in September of 2000, Matt’s fifth birthday party at our Main St. home in G’burg in March of 2001 and ending on Christmas Eve and early Day of 2006 with the kids doing everything from sprinkling reindeer dust to waking up to a mountain of presents at our current home.

Waybac.2000.05.12.bajh1 Waybac.2000.05.12.bajh2 Waybac.2000.05.12.bajh3 Waybac.2000.05.12.bajh4 Waybac.2000.09.15.msay1 Waybac.2000.09.15.msay2 Waybac.2000.09.15.msay3 Waybac.2000.09.15.msay4 Waybac.2001.03.23.mfbd1 Waybac.2001.03.23.mfbd2 Waybac.2001.03.23.mfbd3 Waybac.2001.03.23.mfbd4 Waybac.2006.12.24.ceosrd1 Waybac.2006.12.24.ceosrd2 Waybac.2006.12.24.ceosrd3 Waybac.2006.12.24.ceosrd4

Well that does it for this edition of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks as always for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you next time. Until then, have a good one.
Later, Scheu

1 comment to …You See it’s in The Blood

  • Mom

    Great post this week Tom with great videos. Love the games Luke, Matt and Abby. Good effort by all of you!! Looked like a great time at the birthday party. Everyone looks great…I probably wouldn’t have recognized Billy and Jackie, they are all grown up. Along with the kids and grandkids it made for a great party didn’t it!! So glad you could all get together and celebrate the day. Dad is going to need surgery on his knee. Has a torn meniscus (cartlige). So…don’t know if he will do it before or after we leave to come home. Will keep you all up to date. Love always and XXXOOO’s

Leave a Reply