Threatened by Shadows at Night, and Exposed in the Light

What a week it was…we had a lot of positive and fun things occur this week but it ended with a very scary moment for the family that had the potential to be life-changing. On Monday, my facility had our state licensing inspection. We had a great EOC tour and received zero deficiencies!! This was the 3rd time in 2 years to achieve this status. I am very proud of all my departments for keeping their areas ready for inspection at all times, but especially JT & Phil who really worked hard to get the last minute details accomplished. Way to go, guys! Abby had tap dance class and then was off to her Beauty & the Beast musical practice. Matt had his final JV football game – actually it was more of a freshman/sophomore game – across town at North Decatur high school. It was weird as their stands had been condemned on both sides of the field, so it was very close quarters at ground level which made for some interesting pictures this week. The Pirates won in a lopsided victory that saw Matt playing in positions he hadn’t played before, including right guard on offense and end on defense (my old position). He did pretty damn good, considering they were new positions and new teammates. It was good to see several of the kids get a chance to play that normally don’t. Matt came out for the final 10 minutes or so of the game when it was locked up, which enabled a lot of the younger and less-experienced players a chance to hit someone as well. The Chargers promptly scored a few points, but the win was never in jeopardy as the Pirates won 44-14. Matt had a tackle or two but really shined on offense tonight. The kid really excels on the offensive side of the ball. We are very proud of him and his JV team for their efforts this year.

pap11.66 mjvfnd11.1 mjvfnd11.2 mjvfnd11.3 mjvfnd11.4 mjvfnd11.5 mjvfnd11.6 mjvfnd11.7 mjvfnd11.8 mjvfnd11.9 mjvfnd11.10 mjvfnd11.11 mjvfnd11.12 mjvfnd11.13 mjvfnd11.14 mjvfnd11.15 mjvfnd11.16 mjvfnd11.17 mjvfnd11.18 mjvfnd11.19 mjvfnd11.20 mjvfnd11.21 mjvfnd11.22 mjvfnd11.23 mjvfnd11.24 mjvfnd11.25 mjvfnd11.26 mjvfnd11.27 mjvfnd11.28 mjvfnd11.29 mjvfnd11.30 mjvfnd11.31 mjvfnd11.32 mjvfnd11.33 mjvfnd11.34 mjvfnd11.35 mjvfnd11.36 mjvfnd11.37 mjvfnd11.38 mjvfnd11.39 mjvfnd11.40 mjvfnd11.41 mjvfnd11.42 mjvfnd11.43 mjvfnd11.44 mjvfnd11.45 mjvfnd11.46 mjvfnd11.47 mjvfnd11.48 mjvfnd11.49 mjvfnd11.50 mjvfnd11.51 mjvfnd11.52 mjvfnd11.53 mjvfnd11.54 mjvfnd11.55 mjvfnd11.56 mjvfnd11.57 mjvfnd11.58 mjvfnd11.59

On Tuesday, it was cold and wet all day. Abby still had no jazz class, meaning besides Matt’s football practice – we had the night off! It was too nasty out for Luke & I to exercise. I decided to finally give in to the daily prompts on my phone and upgrade the OS on my Droid X mobile phone. OMG am I sorry I did that…it is so slow now – I barely have half of the free RAM I did previously – but it also sucks my battery roughly 4x faster, especially if I am doing something on it. Thanks for not making a cancel button on the OS upgrade, Google – way to screw up a good thing. It got even cooler overnight. We fell asleep on the couch watching TV – except poor Ann who couldn’t sleep all night. Matt was told that due to another injury on the defensive line that he may actually get some PT at Friday night’s sectional opener…we are all so excited for him, but I guess we’ll see. Ann let Matt choose dinner tonight, so we had chicken taco night. Matt’s football practice was cut short due to all the damn rain and the lightning. It rained all day and got colder yet overnight – down near the 30’s. Ann was all set to stay late doing a server update – only to call me an hour later and tell me she was done! We had popcorn for dinner – always a fave. Matt stayed the night at Joel’s house. Maryann & Sandy went off to Buffalo for the weekend to see Keith, Rosie & Megan. It was the first night of the World Series, with the Cards taking a 1-0 lead over the Rangers. I got a couple pictures off Facebook, including one of Ann at her scrapbooking friend’s going-away party and a great one of my cousin Katie and her son Brody. Thursday was the first day of Fall Break. Matt came home after football practice in the cold, cold rain. The highs were only in the 40s. Luke had a dental appointment where he got a good checkup but needs to work on brushing a little better. We ran past the pet hospital to get meds for dogs and make appointments for shots. Molly has a gumball-sized spot on her that we’re not sure what to think so we want it looked at as well. Abby went out to eat with Megan and her mom, Julie. They went to El Reparo and then to the movies to see Moneyball. Meanwhile, Luke had Oakley spend the night with us. It was the best Luke acted all week. He has really been in a lot of trouble with us lately due to his rudeness and attitude in general. It was pizza night. Ann also went to the movies. She went to the new Footloose with her friend, Amy. Matt & I caught up on our DVR, watching the latest episodes of South Park, Tosh.) and Ultimate Fighter. I also caught up on last night’s episode of American Horror Story (man, that is one messed-up show…and I LOVE it!). It was another very cold day that was still wet and really windy. I’ll bet we’ve gotten 3 inches of rain this week! The high today barely made it out of the 40s and there was a frost warning overnight – our second of the season. It was so incredibly cold in the house that night that I broke down and turned on the heat. We were concerned that it wouldn’t work since it got wet during the big storm. Although it took a little longer, it did fire up and got nice and toasty. The Rangers evened the World Series at a game apiece that night. Friday was the last day of Fall Break for the kids and Mom. Abby and Luke went back to Brandy’s house again and Matt was excited to be dressed for the Sectional game that night at cold Shriver Field. The Pirates hosted the Batesville Bulldogs from the next town east on highway 46. Unlike their earlier meeting, this was a close game. However, like the previous game, the Pirates came out on top again! It was a cold night for football, but Ann and I had come equipped with our winter clothing and blankets (4 of them!), so we were good to go. It was a tight struggle all the way until the last minute of the game. It was still anyone’s game as Batesville was driving down the field, late in the contest. Just as they were about to get a big pass play, the defense came up with an impossible interception that locked the game up! The small but frenzied crowd was pretty loud at times. I was a little embarrassed that there weren’t more people there. The guest stands were packed. Ours were about a third filled. Matt never even played one down and he was awfully disappointed. However, he was thrilled that his team won 20-18 and will play another game next Friday at home, here in Greensburg. We went out to Buffalo Wings & Rings for dinner to celebrate the big victory.

awsggap11 kswcofb10.11 mvfbs11.1 mvfbs11.2 mvfbs11.3 mvfbs11.4 mvfbs11.5 mvfbs11.6 mvfbs11.7 mvfbs11.8 mvfbs11.9 mvfbs11.10 mvfbs11.11

When I took Matt to football practice the next morning, I needed to scrape the frost off the windshield. Luke and I got the oil changed in the minivan. We took it easy and stayed warm, snoozing on the couch for a little while. We put on the “plates” on the vehicles…or at least the new stickers. How is it that the little sticker costs as much as getting a new metal plate?? It ended up warming up pretty nicely and the kids played a little outdoors for the first time this week. In the late afternoon, we headed over to our good friend, Pat’s house for his annual fall party. He again had a big bonfire and pork roast (it was damn good again this year!). We played cornhole, rode 4-wheelers and threw around the football. The kids also played soccer and baseball. We were having a great time and as I was just getting ready to start up the next game of the cornhole tourney, Abby came up to me sobbing and bloody. She had a golf ball sized goose egg on the left side of her forehead. She had other bumps and abrasions up above her hair line as well. In addition, her nose was bloody from scratches and the impact. Her left eye was swollen badly and is now nearly shut. She is gonna have a shiner for a long time. She was complaining loudly about her right wrist hurting and she was limping on the leg that had a large tear in the pant leg at the knee where it was beginning to swell and bruise and had a couple nasty scratches. As Ann took her inside and got her cleaned up and iced to reduce the swelling, I went out and looked at the crash sight to get a better idea of how bad it was and it was bad. It seems that as she was riding a friend’s ATV, as they had all day and night, the grass gradually got slicker and slicker as the temps dropped and the dew settled on the ground. She was slowing down to take a corner in the back of Pat’s lot and couldn’t get slowed down in time and hit a slick patch and spun out of control, hitting a tree and careening through a barbed wire fence. She was knocked off and as she tried to get back up, she fell back down. Thankfully, Luke and her friend Jarrett were watching out for her and they quickly scooped her up and brought her back to us. We gathered our things and headed to CRH’s ER. I’m glad we did. They x-rayed her R wrist, which is broken. They did an MRI on her head (the one we were most concerned about, obviously) and it thankfully came back negative. She will have some really nasty swelling and colors of the L eye over the next several weeks. She was put in a soft cast for the weekend and will have a hard cast on Monday. Due to her blacking out for a second, she had to be awakened every two hours and checked for orientation. So we got home, got everything put away only to have the dogs go nutty and start carrying on outside. Well, come to find out, we got toilet papered really bad…dammit!

mpap11.0 pap11.1 pap11.2 pap11.3 pap11.4 pap11.5 pap11.6 pap11.7 pap11.8 pap11.9 pap11.10 pap11.11 pap11.12 pap11.13 pap11.14 pap11.15 pap11.16 pap11.17 pap11.18 pap11.19 pap11.20 pap11.21 pap11.22 pap11.23 pap11.24 pap11.25 pap11.26 pap11.27 pap11.28 pap11.29 pap11.30 pap11.31 pap11.32 pap11.33 pap11.34 pap11.35 pap11.36 pap11.37 pap11.38 pap11.39 pap11.40 pap11.41 pap11.42 pap11.43 pap11.44 pap11.45 pap11.46 pap11.47 pap11.48 pap11.49 pap11.50 pap11.51 pap11.52 pap11.53 pap11.54 pap11.55 pap11.56 pap11.57 pap11.58 pap11.59 pap11.60 pap11.61 pap11.62 pap11.63 pap11.64 pap11.65 pap11.66 mtp11.1 mtp11.2

Abby did real good through the night, sleeping on the living room couch. The boys went out picked up most of the TP. I still need to get the ladder out and get some of the high stuff down. We slept in a little and then got up to do our weekly chores. Mom and Sandy returned from Keith & Rosies and came over to see Bu, brining her some yummy apples and chocolate candies. We took it easy and tended to Abby, thankful to still have her with us. It could’ve been a whole lot worse and we heard the wake up call loud and clear. We have already determined that our children will no longer get on motorized vehicles without a helmet and no longer will they be allowed to ride after dusk. We were horrified to see the Colts get reamed 62-7 as the battle of the former Boiler QBs matched up (Brees for the Saints vs. Painter for the Colts), dropping to 0-7. But we loved to hear that the Cowboys pulled themselves up to 3-3 with a victory over the Rams behind rookie Demarco Murray’s big game where he ran 25 times for a new franchise single game record of 253 yards!! The Bears won over in London as well. I taped the NASCAR race in Talladega, so I am looking forward to seeing it tomorrow evening. The Rangers evened the World Series at 2-2 (Cards ended up winning last night). And they had a nice ceremony to recognize Dan Weldon at the 500 track today. Here are this week’s videos, including three new home videos and a few from around the net I wanted to share this week. Remember that if you are reading this feed on Facebook, this section will either be blank or have lines of words and letters. To view the videos and see the blog in the format it is created, please visit our home page at and follow the blog link.

Next, let’s take a peek at this week’s Waybac feature. Leading off this week, we have Rob’s First Communion on June 25 of 1989 in St. Peter’s church in LaPorte followed by a trip to the Studebaker Museum with Mom, Dad, Rob & Uncle Timmy and Aunt Dorothy. Also, we have a fall get together at the Rossville Dream House in October of ’93 – in attendance is Rob in a nice Mexican hat and a sore right ankle, judging by the boot he has on it as he lounges down in the basement as several of the Pine Lake boaters / Week 19 friends play cards, including good friends George, Charlie and Mike.

Waybac.1989.06.25.rfcaspilp1 Waybac.1989.06.25.rfcaspilp2 Waybac.1989.vtsm10 Waybac.1989.vtsm11 Waybac.1989.vtsm12 Waybac.1989.vtsm13 Waybac.1989.vtsm14 Waybac.1993.10.plgpirdh1 Waybac.1993.10.plgpirdh2 Waybac.1993.10.plgpirdr3

Next, we move to the magical year of 1999. First, we start down in May, down in Treasure Island at the Sand Pebble for the annual welcome party and the then the next morning. What a great visit this was – it was the last time with only one child! Next we head north to Tippecanoe County for a Morgan family reunion. I am certain many of these family members are no longer living but I would have no idea who most of them are on the left side of the pictures. I have done several crops of these two photos just to make fun smaller ones. This was just before Abby came in to our lives, in August. Finally, we have Mom & Gigi in pix with the newborn still at CRH in September. Then we have Mom B at our Main St home with our little bundle of joy. I love Mom’s expression – I think Bu just filled her pants!

Waybac.1999.05.09.wnatspysy1 Waybac.1999.05.09.wnatspysy2 Waybac.1999.08.07.mfr10 Waybac.1999.08.07.mfr11 Waybac.1999.08.07.mfr12 Waybac.1999.08.07.mfr13 Waybac.1999.08.07.mfr14 Waybac.1999.08.07.mfr15 Waybac.1999.08.07.mfr16 Waybac.1999.08.07.mfr17 Waybac.1999.08.07.mfr18 Waybac.1999.08.07.mfr19 Waybac.1999.08.07.mfr20 Waybac.1999.09.abwg1 Waybac.1999.09.abwg2 Waybac.1999.09.abwg3 Waybac.1999.09.abwg4

We wrap up in May of 2000 for Matt’s end-of-the-school year party. This is his YMCA class and they are in the city park. I see a couple of his friends, including Tyler and Nathan; then we have Matt with Abby on Christmas Day on the Whirly Rocket. We got a lot of miles out of that before donating it to Christy and Terry; and finally a few pictures of Christmas morning in 2006. Look at all those toys!

Waybac.2000.06.ymcapscpip Waybac.2000.12.25.maaortocm Waybac.2006.12.25.cmats10 Waybac.2006.12.25.cmats11 Waybac.2006.12.25.cmats12 Waybac.2006.12.25.cmats13
And that does it for this installment of the Scheu Family Blog. As always, thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with ya next time. Until then, have a good one.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply