Feels like the First Time, like We’ve Opened up the Door

On top of being a really crappy week, I then deleted my entire blog entry by accident while napping this afternoon and have to now re-write the whole thing…so here goes… This was a difficult week. Everything in Indiana was great but it was the occurrences down in Florida that held my attention. I spoke to Mom & Dad a few times this week. We had some of the hardest conversations of my life. After getting along nicely for a couple weeks, it looked like Mom and Dad could finally enjoy some quality time for a couple months, maybe even get away for a short while. However, that dream was short-lived. Mom entered the week in constant pain in her back, chest and abdomen. She was sleeping 20 out of 24 hours with zero energy. Dad took time off to stay with her and we were very concerned. She hasn’t been eating and has lost nearly 80 pounds since all of this started. Dad took her to the doctor on Monday and not only did they run tests and have them read immediately but they also read the results of her latest petscan. I won’t lie, it wasn’t pretty. We knew that “Uncle Charlie” would come back with a vengeance but we didn’t realize it would come back so damn quickly. Her numbers went from under 300 just a short time ago to over 3000 last week. It has completely taken over her liver. It is everywhere again – and really badly in her bones. Mom is very brave and strong. I am so thankful to have such a wonderful person in my life – especially as a mother. We obviously shared some tears over the phone. Rob has a really bad eye infection and is also off, so with Sharon up in TN it is the three of them spending a lot of time together right now. I am grateful that Rob is helping Dad during this terrible time. It is obviously bad for Mom, but it is nearly equally hard on Dad as well. Rob’s presence has been a Godsend and I know he has made difference being down there. I know he and Dad had to do some very difficult tings this week, picking out urns, talking with life insurance companies and beginning preparations for the inevitable times to come…
It was much cooler on Monday as a massive cold front moved through the area. We had rain on and off and in fact we received more rain this week than we have the entire last two seasons. The substantial rainfall actually allowed for the county to lift the burn ban, which opened the door for Luke & I to shoot of fire works again. It was back to the grindstone as Ann & I returned to work and the kids returned to school. Matt had football practice after high school. Abby had volleyball practice and then Ann joined her at the junior high for Open House. Luke had fun at the elementary school and then he and I went out to North Park for football, where Dad called me and dropped the bomb. Here is an odd collection of pictures – Rosie with a new hairdo from Megan, Lindsay & June in the vineyards of California, Abby’s track award she lost last year and Luke’s reading award from last year that he also lost.

mfsgb12.28 fbp12.8.14 fbp12.8.15 ka12.1 ka12.2

We woke up on Tuesday to rainy conditions but warmed up to a gorgeous day. The kids had a good day at school then all had practice again. Matt & Luke had good practices and Abby did well at volleyball. Luke tried out for the kicking jobs while practicing special teams. He got beat out on the punter, but probably won the extra point/field goal job, if the holder can learn to hold the ball like I do for him. The kickoff is still up in the air at this time, but he has the inside shot at it. After talking with Mom again (she sounded really good), she wants me to put together a collage of pictures and music to play at her showings, so I began the arduous task of putting it all together.
It was another gorgeous early fall day on Wednesday. I went up to Greenwood for UHS’ Leadership Conference. Matt had football and then attended his final driving lesson. Abby had volleyball. Luke had the night off so he & I practiced pitching in the backyard while Ann cooked chicken on the grill.
Thursday saw a little more rain and I attended the second half of my conference in Greenwood. Matt & Luke had football practice. Abby had her first volleyball game. So while Coach Brian got Luke from Mom & Sandy’s house, Ann & I travelled to North Vernon for Abby’s game. Abby did not get the start but did get some playing time. She scored a couple points but spent more time on the bench than the floor, which Ann & I weren’t thrilled with. It’s a long season so we’ll see how things progress. I thought she did great. The team dropped a close first match by 2 points, 25-23. Then they came from 10 down in the 2nd match to win going away and force a 3rd and decisive match. However, they came up short by 3; 15-12. It was also the 35th anniversary of Elvis Pressley’s death. I still remember where I was when I heard the news – Neil & I were out in his backyard playing when it came across the radio.

avjc12.0 avjc12.1 avjc12.2 avjc12.3 avjc12.4 avjc12.5 avjc12.6 avjc12.7 avjc12.8 avjc12.9 avjc12.10 avjc12.11 avjc12.12 avjc12.13 avjc12.14 avjc12.15 avjc12.16 avjc12.17 avjc12.18 avjc12.19 avjc12.20 avjc12.21

Friday was a nice cool day – just right for some football! Ann & I shared in getting the drinks for the boys as we travelled to Shelbyville that evening. The varsity Pirates’ football team opened the regular season on the road. We picked up Abby from volleyball practice, iced down about 80 drinks and headed up the road about 45 minutes where we met up with my Aunt Sally and Uncle Scotty to watch Matthew in his debut on the varsity team – at least more than just garbage time. It was so cool for them to make the commute this far south for his game. It really meant a lot to him and to all of us. The game went by really fast as the Pirates got off to a good start but a couple of bad plays kept the game close at half – 14-10. The Pirates shut out the Golden Bears in the second half and won going away, 24-10. Matt didn’t play as much as we all had anticipated. I don’t know if the coaches are taking it easy on him due to his shoulder or what. He didn’t play at all on offense, which was surprising but he did get a few dozen snaps at defensive tackle. He made the most of his time, causing havoc on the line and in the backfield on several plays and even recorded a sack! That made his old man proud – That’s my boy!! My hope is that the coaches will watch the game tape and see that Matt needs to be playing much more regularly.

mfsgb12.0 mfsgb12.1 mfsgb12.2 mfsgb12.3 mfsgb12.4 mfsgb12.5 mfsgb12.6 mfsgb12.7 mfsgb12.8 mfsgb12.9 mfsgb12.10 mfsgb12.11 mfsgb12.12 mfsgb12.13 mfsgb12.14 mfsgb12.15 mfsgb12.16 mfsgb12.17 mfsgb12.18 mfsgb12.19 mfsgb12.20 mfsgb12.21 mfsgb12.22 mfsgb12.23 mfsgb12.24 mfsgb12.25 mfsgb12.26 mfsgb12.27 mfsgb12.28 mfsgb12.29 mfsgb12.30 mfsgb12.31 mfsgb12.32 mfsgb12.33 mfsgb12.34 mfsgb12.35 mfsgb12.36 mfsgb12.37 mfsgb12.38 mfsgb12.39

Luke and I were up early and had a very busy day. We started out by getting the oil changed in the Pacifica, followed by a trip to the car wash and then as has been routine – stopped by the Corner Store for a homemade breakfast sandwich on our way home. Next we loaded up the truck and headed over to Gma & Gigi’s house to mow/trim. We also trimmed Dee & Jamie’s front walks, which needed attention badly. We left there and picked up Matt from football practice where he had it rough by eating donuts and swimming. We came home and mowed the front yard before setting up Ann for her painting projects. Luke & I sanded the front porch bench and then he and Ann primed and she painted it black. It looks great. She also painted the front yard light pole. Luke & I mowed the backyard and then we headed off to the annual Power of the Past out at the county fairgrounds. We saw lots of tractors, ate Smyrna pork burgers, did lots of Hot Wheels hunting (we had no luck) and had a milk shake before heading out to pick up our favorite take out (Koch’s) and heading home. I was so tired that I crashed hard after dinner and was asleep by 8, missing date night as we were going to make the trip over to Columbus to see Foreigner for Rock the Park. It was just as well as Abby had been at Megan’s house with Kenzi all afternoon/evening before they all decided to come back to our house and spend the night. We had pre-teens everywhere! Bu said Ann stayed up talking with the girls until 2 in the morning. I slept for about 12 hours, I think. On Sunday we did our weekly chores, re-finished Matt’s football yard sign, watched the race at Michigan (Jeff had engine trouble & Mark Martin was in a nasty, freaky accident that could’ve been a whole lot worse) and watched the Colts nearly pull off an upset vs. the Steelers. The Colt’s rookie QB, Andrew Luck, again looked pretty good in his limited time.

wpp12.1 wpp12.2 wpp12.3 wpp12.4 wpp12.5 wpp12.6 wpp12.7 wpp12.8 potp12.1 potp12.2 potp12.3 potp12.4 potp12.5 potp12.6 potp12.7 potp12.8 amk12.1 amk12.2 amk12.3 amk12.4

Here are this week’s videos, featuring two Scheu family vids and several from around the net:

Next is our Waybac section, which continues to feature the work of Gil Hutton. We lead off with several more of Aunt Sue & Uncle Hank’s wedding in Lafayette, back in April of 1961. The rest of the pictures are of Cousin Cathy in 1964 – three from April on a foot stool; four from September with a phone in a walker; and a couple from later in the year, back on the foot stool.

Waybac.1961.04.15.sahw35 Waybac.1961.04.15.sahw36 Waybac.1961.04.15.sahw37 Waybac.1961.04.15.sahw38 Waybac.1961.04.15.sahw39 Waybac.1961.04.15.sahw40 Waybac.1961.04.15.sahw41 Waybac.1961.04.15.sahw42 Waybac.1961.04.15.sahw43 Waybac.1961.04.15.sahw44 Waybac.1961.04.15.sahw45 Waybac.1961.04.15.sahw46 Waybac.1964.04.c3mo2 Waybac.1964.04.c3mo3 Waybac.1964.04.c3mo4 Waybac.1964.09.03.c11mo4b Waybac.1964.09.03.c11mo5b Waybac.1964.09.03.c11mo6a Waybac.1964.09.03.cswlm3 Waybac.1964.cs5 Waybac.1964.cs6

The other section starts in 1965 with David in June and then on to December of 1968 for several more of Uncle John & Aunt June’s wedding. Next up is Cathy & David in 1970 and finally Stephen in 1978.

Waybac.1965.06.29.d1mo7 Waybac.1965.06.29.d1mo8 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw50 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw51 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw52 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw53 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw54 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw55 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw56 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw57 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw58 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw59 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw60 Waybac.1970.06.15.c6.5yo24 Waybac.1970.10.01.dacoh3 Waybac.1970.10.01.dacoh4 Waybac.1970.10.01.dacoh5 Waybac.1970.10.01.dacoh6 Waybac.1978.11.13.s8mo10 Waybac.1978.11.13.s8mo11

Well that does it for another episode of the Scheu Family Blog. I have kept this page going all these years for Mom, as I felt it was important that she and Dad stay somewhat involved in the kids’ lives or at least know what is going on in it. I know Mom hasn’t had a chance to keep up with it in quite a while. I have found myself questioning whether or not to keep it going. In fact, in her absence I may elect to call it quits. I haven’t seen any comments left on the blog page in a very long time, so if anyone is still reading this – thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you next time. Until then, have a good one.
Later, Scheu

2 comments to Feels like the First Time, like We’ve Opened up the Door

  • Karen

    Tommie, I am reading them and have enjoyed them! Love you and your mom so very much…..but I will understand if you stop writing….you ALL have been in my heart and prayers non-stop. Love, Karen.

  • sharon

    I love the blogs, Tom. I am strugglling with all this, love Sandy so very much. My heart is breaking, for Ron, and the rest of you. Hard to fine the words to say. I pray God will comfort us in the coming days ahead. Hugs to all, and know we love you!

    Love Aunt Sharon

Leave a Reply