These are the Seasons of Emotion…and like the Winds, they Rise and Fall

It was a pretty good week. The gloom of Mom’s passing is still with us, but is becoming easier to talk about with friends and family. I noticed they took down the guest book from her obit page on the Lafayette Journal & Courier. I think I have all the comments on our blog site in one entry or another. The Greensburg men’s soccer and cross-country teams both won Sectionals and the soccer team won Regionals as well! Congrats goes out to my cousin Barney and his son Ryan. Ryan and his fiancé just had a baby boy named Emmitt on September 29. He is now the youngest member of the Scheu family and is Barney & Steph’s second grandson already! The weather has been nearly picture perfect for being in southeastern Indiana in the autumn. Our maple trees in the front yard have leaves of red, orange, yellow and green. The kids were on fall break, staying home all week. Matt made the transition to driving the old Chevy truck…and we all enjoyed a little slow down this week for a change…aaaahhhhh!
On Monday we had a cold start to the week with a frost warning…it was literally freezing with frost on car windows and the ground, making the lawn sparkle in the early morning light. Matt had football practice twice and Luke & I had football practice over at North Park. We finally watched the Talladega race from over the weekend – wow!! What an ending! You can see the videos below…absolutely wild finish!! Matt went back in to football to find out who we played for Sectionals. We drew Brown County and will play them next week.
Tuesday would’ve been John Lennon’s 72nd birthday. Matt & Luke both had football practice. We again had frost on the windows and ground (we almost had to scrape that morning!). It turned out to be a lovely fall day with lots of sun in the afternoon and evening. The damned Reds dropped their home opener in the Division Series, which was game 3 and the series is now 2-1 Cincy. Luke was swept up in pennant fever with the success of the Reds this year – especially his favorite player, Joey Votto. There are more like this, but these were the cutest that I felt compelled to share here…

hhh12.20 clt12.1 clt12.2 clt12.3 lap12.10.1 lap12.10.2 lap12.10.3 lap12.10.4 lap12.10.5 lap12.10.6 jgtmntc12.1 jgtmntc12.2 avgft12.35 avgft12.36 fbp12.10.1 fbp12.10.2 fbp12.10.3 fbp12.10.4 fbp12.10.5 fbp12.10.6 fbp12.10.7 fbp12.10.8 fbp12.10.9 fbp12.10.10 fbp12.10.11 fbp12.10.12

The kids stayed home again on Wednesday for Fall Break. Matt mowed the lawn both at home and at Gma and Gigi’s for me after football practice. Abby had dance class and wouldn’t you know it – the Reds dropped another home game and have now allowed the Giants to even the series at 2-2 and force a game 5 rubber match.
It was another cold start to Thursday…but would’ve been a gorgeous day if it weren’t for the frigid wind. Matt had football practice twice again. Abby and Ann had dance practice while Luke & I had football practice – which was a scrimmage against the bigger boys (A-league team). We held our own that night. Luke had a great practice but we were late because he lost his football cleats. He has no idea where they are – we turned the van and the house inside out– they are gone. We think he may have left them at football practice on Tuesday so we searched there too…but they are gone. So now he has to wear his baseball cleats the rest of the season. Then to top it off, the Reds lost again and now they are out of the playoffs.
Friday brought about the end of the first week of Fall Break. We considered it a success as none of the kids killed each other! Matt had football practice that morning despite it being game day. That evening was the varsity football team’s final game of the regular season at North Decatur. I hurried home after a very long day and was home long enough to get changed in to warm clothes and we were headed back out the door. It was sunny and just perfect football weather at kickoff. As the game wore on, the colder it got…but despite it being really cold, Maryann & Sandy were in attendance for what could be Matt’s final time playing in Greensburg this year. We were all dressed in boots, gloves, hats and coats and were much warmer than last week! As for the game, both teams came out ready to play for bragging rights of the city this year…and for quite some time. As it turns out, this would be the final game between these two teams until further notice. As you might expect, there were lots of hard hits and the Chargers were the first to get on the scoreboard. It was still close at the half, with the Pirates only up by a touchdown. However as the game wore on, the Pirates took control in the 2nd half. The Chargers started to wear out and many were hurt. Matt should have played a hell of a lot more than what he did (not only this game, but this year). I’m not sure what else the boy can do; he did great again…when he played. He had a couple tackles and did well from the nose guard position as well as playing on the punt return team. The Pirates won going away, 26-7 – shutting out North in the 2nd half. We saw Amy & Rob there (from afar). Baili was cheerleading. They were supposed to perform at halftime, but during warm-ups she was dropped from the top of the pyramid and hurt her face & head really bad. Speaking of getting hurt, we had a couple guys hurt – including a senior that had to be helped off the field and did not return. There were three times we saw a North Decatur boy stagger off the field after a big hit from a Pirate – including their starting QB in the final quarter. It was almost comical as the poor child tried to stand still and talk with the referee but kept staggering backwards. After the game, Ann headed to scrapbooking while the kids & I went through drive through and went back to the house where we quickly fell asleep after dinner. The Pirates enter the post season with a 7-2 record, ranked #14 in the state’s 3A division.

mfnd12.1 mfnd12.2 mfnd12.3 mfnd12.4 mfnd12.5 mfnd12.6 mfnd12.7 mfnd12.8 mfnd12.9 mfnd12.10 mfnd12.11 mfnd12.12 mfnd12.13 mfnd12.14 mfnd12.15 mfnd12.16 mfnd12.17 mfnd12.18 mfnd12.19 mfnd12.20 mfnd12.21 mfnd12.22 mfnd12.23 mfnd12.24 mfnd12.25 mfnd12.26 mfnd12.27 mfnd12.28 mfnd12.29 mfnd12.30 mfnd12.31 mfnd12.32 mfnd12.33 mfnd12.34 mfnd12.35 mfnd12.36 mfnd12.37 mfnd12.38 mfnd12.39 mfnd12.40 mfnd12.41 mfnd12.42 mfnd12.43 mfnd12.44 mfnd12.45 mfnd12.46 mfnd12.47 mfnd12.48 mfnd12.49 mfnd12.50 mfnd12.51

Saturday was an amazing fall day. It was absolutely gorgeous – getting all the way up to almost 80 degrees! After being chilly all week (I wore pants to work each day for the first time since probably March or April), it was good to open up the house and air it out this weekend – especially since the kids have been here all week, along with the dogs! Ann headed back to scrapbooking but decided to call off her plans. She and Shawna were to go scrapbooking and stay at a friend’s cabin while attending a covered bridge festival or something…but with the threat of severe weather on Sunday, they called it off. Matt had football practice where he enjoyed swimming and donuts. Abby went to the movies with Megan and Brooke. All the while, Luke & I worked outside all day. We trimmed / blew Gma & Gigi’s house and then repeated it back out our home. We continued working in the yard afterward as we winterized crawl spaces and put away all the summer stuff – the A/C’s, patio furniture (Molly will be lost), the hoses, the horse swing, etc. With Abby & Ann being gone, the boys got Little Caesar’s pizzas for late lunch / early dinner as we watched the Boilers lose to Wisconsin and the replay of last night’s Nationwide NASCAR race in Charlotte. Later that night, the boys & I picked up Bu and headed out to Big Mike’s Haunted Woods, which has been renamed this year as Hopeless Hollow. Matt ended up going with us, despite flip-flopping on his decision to go. He was glad afterwards that he went, as he got scared a few times and he saw several friends out there working. Abby also saw lots of friends out there. Megan went with us as well. The girls and Luke screamed so many times, though Luke played it cool most of the time. It was even better than last year and it was very kind of Big Mike to give us tickets for the event again this year. And we were thrilled for him to see such a huge crowd that night. We waited for about an hour to get in, but it was well worth it. It was a gorgeous night out there, just under 70 degrees – just amazing! Afterwards, we went to Taco Bell for “4th meal.” :0) Ann actually beat us home that night because the line was so long for our “run for the border.”

hhh12.1 hhh12.2 hhh12.3 hhh12.4 hhh12.5 hhh12.6 hhh12.7 hhh12.8 hhh12.9 hhh12.10 hhh12.11 hhh12.12 hhh12.13 hhh12.14 hhh12.15 hhh12.16 hhh12.17 hhh12.18 hhh12.19 hhh12.20

Sunday was a lazy day. Ann slept for a large portion of it and I think we all dozed off at one point or another. It was really nice again today, with a steady breeze, though it brought with it a couple of good downpours. We got quite a bit of rain, but it was short-lived. We had the house open again for most of the day and it felt great. Unfortunately, it is probably our last hoorah for the year. As we did our weekly household chores, we watched football (Colts and then the Cowboys were both beaten) and the race from last night. The officiating was terrible in the Cowboys game…in fact; there were several really bad calls all damn day – BRING BACK THE REPLACEMENT REFEREES!!!! Jeff had a cool paint scheme on his ride, as seen above (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles), but couldn’t even muster a top ten finish. As payment for doing chores, I took the kids to Dairy Point for ice cream. I got the seasonal, limited-edition pumpkin flavor soft serve, brought it home and enjoyed it in a Graeter’s pretzel cone! Ann & I got caught up on our DVR, watching our latest episodes of our favorite shows – Bones, Person of Interest, Fringe, Grimm, Haven, Tosh, South Park, Dr. Who, Daily Show, Hawaii Five-0, etc (OK, most of those are my favorites – hers are on the damn Homes and Garden channel – yuck!). All in all, it was a good week that didn’t feel nearly as busy as it has been recently.

Next up is our video section, which features two new family videos and a whole bunch from around the net this week…

Now it’s time for our favorite segment – the Waybac feature, which once again spotlights the Gil Hutton Collection of Scheu family photos. Leading off, we have several from Aunt Sue and Uncle Hank’s wedding back in April of ’61, which includes some great pictures of those two plus Granny, Grandpa Scheu and Aunt Mary; also included in this batch are photos of Cousin Cathy from ’64 & ’65 and David from December of ’65.

Waybac.1961.04.15.sahw58 Waybac.1961.04.15.sahw59 Waybac.1961.04.15.sahw60 Waybac.1961.04.15.sahw61 Waybac.1961.04.15sahw61 Waybac.1961.04.15sahw62 Waybac.1964.04.c3mo6 Waybac.1964.04.c3mo7 Waybac.1964.09.03.c11mo17 Waybac.1964.09.03.c11mo18 Waybac.1964.09.03.c11mo19 Waybac.1964.cs9 Waybac.1964.cs10 Waybac.1965.12.cs2y3m1 Waybac.1965.12.cs2y3m2 Waybac.1965.12.d6mo1 Waybac.1965.12.d6mo2

In our final section, we have Gil’s Christmas tree that he set up for Cathy & David in ’66; Uncle John & Aunt June’s wedding in December of ’68 – which includes some classic shots of the two of them as well as Dad Scheu, Uncle Chuck, Granny and Grandpa Scheu; Cathy in December of ’68 and then again in June of 1970.

Waybac.1966.11.22.cad12 Waybac.1966.11.22.cad13 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw84 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw85 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw86 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw87 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw88 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw89 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw90 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw91 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw92 Waybac.1968.12.dacs1 Waybac.1970.06.15.c6.5yo42 Waybac.1970.06.15.c6.5yo43

And that puts the wraps on another episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks as always for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply