Ooh…Tryin’ Hard to Change but Can’t Let Go

What a week it’s been since we last touched base. We have had frosty lows in the 30s and Indian summer highs in the 80s. Hurricane Sandy created havoc with the east coast. The World Series began and ended just as quickly. The trees went from a gorgeous palette of colored leaves to empty husks. Where all the leaves went is anybody’s guess. The kids began planning for winter sports as the fall sports began to wrap up with both our boys playing in the 2nd round of post season football tourney action in the cold and wet October air. Congratulations go out to our good friend Chris Morlock, who is now coaching at Columbus North. His team won the state title in men’s soccer! And I successfully completed yet another trip around the sun. OK; running short on time so I’ll try to make this one quick…
We started off the week with very moderate temperatures and enjoyed wearing shorts to school and work. Matt had to go back to school today but Abby & Luke enjoyed one last day of Fall Break. Matt & Luke both had football practice that evening.
On Tuesday it was even warmer as the kids all headed back to school, Matt and Luke had football again and Abby had dance team tryouts at school.
Wednesday was amazing. We had an Indian summer day that actually made it up in to the upper 80s!! I travelled with my work-friend, Josh, down to Wellstone Hospital (one of our many sister facilities), just outside Louisville, KY. We taught a couple of CPI classes and our old co-worker who now works down there took us out for lunch for coming down to help them out. Abby again went to dance team tryouts and Matt had football. I couldn’t even stay awake long enough to watch the end of the opening night of the World Series. San Francisco won game 1. I did get some great pictures off Facebook, including Abby doing the splits; Chris and his state champion medal; Jack and Joey and their soccer medals; Chris and his family; Abby and her friends; as well as the Led Zeppelin Celebration Day media blitz and some great old posters.

lfndcc12.88 fbo12.10.47 fbp12.10.48 fbp12.10.49 fbp12.10.50 fbp12.10.51 fbp12.10.52 fbp12.10.54 fbp12.10.55 fbp12.10.56 fbp12.10.57 fbp12.10.58 fbp12.10.59 fbp12.10.60 fbp12.10.61 fbp12.10.62 fbp12.10.63 fbp12.10.64 fbp12.10.65

We enjoyed our Indian summer on Thursday as well. It is quite possibly the final warm day we will see in quite some time. We geared up for another tour at work as the State Licensing survey team entered our building and they sent us for a loop with a first-day EOC tour. Thankfully, we were ready – we’re always ready, so it seemed to go well. We won’t know for sure until next week. Abby had dance tryouts at school and then dance class at Dixon Studio…and the Giants won game 2 in the World Series – a game I again missed due to falling asleep midway through it.
It was much, much colder on Friday with highs only reaching the 40s. It was far too cold for shorts, but at least it was jeans day. We had the 2nd day of our State Licensing survey. Abby made the dance team at school! …and so did all of her friends! Matt played in the 2nd round of sectional football that evening. We were home vs. Batesville. It rained and the wind howled all day long…and all night as it turned out. So we bundled up in preparation of the conditions at the game – only it wasn’t quite enough. We were still cold even though I had jeans, shirt, sweatshirt, coat, 2 pairs of socks, boots, snowmobile gloves, skull cap, hood, blanket & umbrella (though I forgot mine and had to use one of the kids’ little ones). Batesville wasn’t able to move the ball on our defense, which got another shutout under its belt with tonight’s effort. The offense did just enough, scoring once in each half and winning 14-0. The Bulldogs never threatened to score…and I’m not sure if they even got the ball past mid-field! Matt played DT/NG as well as punt return and got in some good hits and was in on a few gang tackles too. He also hurt his shoulder pretty good, attempting to block a pass. He also had his hand wrapped for the game and when he showed it to us after the game, he had a nasty cut on it but refused to tell us how it happened. He will be OK though… Paul and Conner braved the weather and came out to support Matt, though they flip-flopped seats a few times through the game (Paul & Dayla live in Batesville now). Dayla & Cayden met us at the house, where Abby was watching Luke and had her good friend Kenzie over to spend the night. Paul brought two of Conner’s friends/teammates with him over to our house after the game to celebrate Matt and the Pirates moving on in the end-of-year state tourney!! Paul & I picked up pizzas at Papa John’s and had a couple brewskis while trying out a new tequila that I received from Shawna for pulling some pictures off a damaged hard drive a few months back. It was a good night. With the 14-0 victory, the Pirates earned a spot in the sectional championship. They will face the team that knocked them out of the tourney at the same point last year – Indian Creek. This time, it will be here in Greensburg. It’s payback time, baby!!

mfsb12.0 mfsb12.1 mfsb12.2 mfsb12.3 mfsb12.4 mfsb12.5 mfsb12.6 mfsb12.7 mfsb12.8 mfsb12.9 mfsb12.10 mfsb12.11 mfsb12.12 mfsb12.13 mfsb12.14 mfsb12.15 mfsb12.16 mfsb12.17 mfsb12.18 mfsb12.19 mfsb12.20 mfsb12.21 mfsb12.22 mfsb12.23 mfsb12.24 mfsb12.25 mfsb12.26 mfsb12.27 mfsb12.28 mfsb12.29 mfsb12.30 mfsb12.31 mfsb12.32 mfsb12.33 mfsb12.34 mfsb12.35 mfsb12.36 mfsb12.37 mfsb12.38 mfsb12.39 mfsb12.40 mfsb12.41 mfsb12.42 mfsb12.43 mfsb12.44

There was no time to sleep in this Saturday. Abby & Kenzi were the first ones up with Ann. They had their first dance team practice. Matt had football practice while Luke & I had our last football practice with our B league team – well most of it anyhow. In fact, poor attendance at practices has plagued our team all year. It was bitterly cold on the field and all the kids were complaining. Afterwards Luke, Molly & I hopped in the truck and went over to Gma & Gigi’s house to mow for what could likely be the last time this season. We then came home and did the same. I have mowed in November in the past, so we’ll wait and see. I won’t winterize the yard tools yet. In fact, I found myself wanting more Fall Break since I was now doing all the kid’s chores they had been doing over the past couple of weeks: mowing for Matt, doing dishes for Bu and taking out the trash for Luke. The Dukester went over to Alex’s house for the afternoon and most of the evening. Abby & Kenzi went over to Megan’s house, but Ann picked up Bu later in the evening. Matt went out to his friend Chaz’s house for a bonfire and ended up staying the night out there with him. Luke & I slept on the couch with the dogs as we tried to stay awake to watch the Giants take a commanding lead, three games to none in the Big Show. Luke had fun drawing lots of pictures for me and it was Robby’s 33rd birthday. I called and spoke with him briefly that evening. He was enjoying some fine spirits with friends and family. Earlier in the day, Dad had held Mom’s memorial there in the Park for all their friends down there (all of the snow birds had returned). Rob said it was obviously very sad and emotional but that it ended pretty cool with the release of hundreds of balloons in her honor.

lap12.10.10 lap12.10.11 lap12.10.12 lap12.10.13 lap12.10.14

We had a frigid start to the day on Sunday with frost on the ground. Ann & Luke went shopping while Abby stayed in bed, Matt returned from his overnight venture and I did my weekly chores. Luke played in the championship game of the year-end tourney in the B division of the pee wee football league against North Decatur. The Chargers had already beat us twice during the regular season and were heavily favored going in tot the game today. As I’ve told the kids all their lives, it is very hard to beat a team three times in the same season. This time however, it was more of the same. They beat us with the same plays as the previous two meetings. Luke earned another spot as our captain and got to call the coin flip before the game. Our defense played pretty well but gave up two big plays. Luke played DT and had 5 tackles and a fumble recovery. The offense never did get going for us. We gave up a pick 6 and only managed to score once they put in their 2nd stringers. Luke played guard and tackle and had a couple pancakes. We got trophies afterwards, but that only left a sour taste in our mouth. You see, North Decatur turned away several players during sign-ups. They made Greensburg pick up the kids. By keeping their roster at 30, they didn’t have to split the squad into two teams. That way, they could have all their good players on the same team…which is great for winning – which is exactly what they day. However, it is bad for getting kids experience on the field. Many parents were upset since the majority of the children did not play during the games. So for our split-squad team to have made it this far was a victory in and of itself. We are very proud of what these young boys achieved. And in a true tribute to his efforts, in his first year of trying the sport; Luke earned a spot on the U-10 all-star team! He will have practice next week and play in a tourney next weekend.

lfndcc12.1 lfndcc12.2 lfndcc12.3 lfndcc12.4 lfndcc12.5 lfndcc12.6 lfndcc12.7 lfndcc12.8 lfndcc12.9 lfndcc12.10 lfndcc12.11 lfndcc12.12 lfndcc12.13 lfndcc12.14 lfndcc12.15 lfndcc12.16 lfndcc12.17 lfndcc12.18 lfndcc12.19 lfndcc12.20 lfndcc12.21 lfndcc12.22 lfndcc12.23 lfndcc12.24 lfndcc12.25 lfndcc12.26 lfndcc12.27 lfndcc12.28 lfndcc12.29 lfndcc12.30 lfndcc12.31 lfndcc12.32 lfndcc12.33 lfndcc12.34 lfndcc12.35 lfndcc12.36 lfndcc12.37 lfndcc12.38 lfndcc12.39 lfndcc12.40 lfndcc12.41 lfndcc12.42 lfndcc12.43 lfndcc12.45 lfndcc12.46 lfndcc12.47 lfndcc12.48 lfndcc12.49 lfndcc12.50 lfndcc12.51 lfndcc12.52 lfndcc12.53 lfndcc12.54 lfndcc12.55 lfndcc12.56 lfndcc12.57 lfndcc12.58 lfndcc12.59 lfndcc12.60 lfndcc12.61 lfndcc12.62 lfndcc12.63 lfndcc12.64 lfndcc12.65 lfndcc12.66 lfndcc12.67 lfndcc12.68 lfndcc12.69 lfndcc12.70 lfndcc12.71 lfndcc12.72 lfndcc12.73 lfndcc12.74 lfndcc12.75 lfndcc12.76 lfndcc12.77 lfndcc12.78 lfndcc12.79 lfndcc12.80 lfndcc12.81 lfndcc12.82 lfndcc12.83 lfndcc12.84 lfndcc12.85 lfndcc12.86 lfndcc12.87 lfndcc12.88 lfndcc12.89 lfndcc12.90 lfndcc12.91 lfndcc12.92 lfndcc12.93 lfndcc12.94 lfndcc12.95

Later that evening we went back over to Maryann & Sandy’s for my 44th birthday party. It just wasn’t the same without Mom. This is the first year ever that she didn’t sing to me. It was weird. Every time the phone would ring, I half expected it to be her. I think I have an old recorded version up here on the blog somewhere. I’ll have to check the archives and see if I can find it. Rob and Dad both called while we were over there. Dad is looking at coming home for Christmas and staying with us! That was the best birthday present I could have received. It really made my day…week…hell, year! Gigi had her usual snacks – with one glaring omission: her sausage balls! Man, I love those things!! She had plenty of others on hand though and it wasn’t long before we were digging in to Maryann’s cheeseburgers, homemade macaroni & cheese, cupcakes, ice cream and lots more I can’t even remember now. Oh; and a lovely rendition of the birthday song (death-march style) followed. I enjoyed it though, as well as the Hot Wheels & other presents and watching the Cowboys game on the TV with Matt, Luke & Jamie. Although, they lost in a heartbreaking style that night – I hate replay…

tffbd12.1 tffbd12.2 tffbd12.3 tffbd12.4 tffbd12.5 tffbd12.6 tffbd12.7 tffbd12.8 tffbd12.9

Next up is our video section, which includes three new family videos plus an extra one from Abby’s Facebook account and several from around the internet this week…

Next up is our Waybac section which again this week features several pictures from the Gil Hutton Collection. Leading off again this week is Aunt Sue and Uncle Hank from their wedding in 1961; Cathy in 1964; David in 1965; and the Hutton’s house at Christmastime…

Waybac.1961.04.15.sahw66 Waybac.1961.04.15.sahw67 Waybac.1961.04.15.sahw68 Waybac.1961.04.15.sahw69 Waybac.1964.04.c3mo9 Waybac.1964.04.c3mo10 Waybac.1964.09.03.c11mo21 Waybac.1964.09.03.c11mo22 Waybac.1964.12.cs14m1 Waybac.1964.12.cs14m2 Waybac.1965.12.27.ds6m Waybac.1966.12.ghcp1 Waybac.1966.12.ghcp2

Next up, we have several more from Uncle John & Aunt June’s wedding in 1968; Cathy & David in fun poses in 1968; Cathy in 1970; Uncle John in 1970; and Steven in 1978.

Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw97 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw98 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw99 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw100 Waybac.1968.12.dacsp1 Waybac.1968.12.dacsp2 Waybac.1970.06.15.c6.5yo49 Waybac.1970.06.15.c6.5yo50 Waybac.1970.12.30.jsp1 Waybac.1978.11.13.s8mo18 Waybac.1978.11.13.s8mo19

That does it for another edition of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks as always for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss you Mom…
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply