Keep Pushin’…Keep Pushin’…Well even if You Think your Strength is Gone…Keep Pushin’ On

Somebody turn up the heat!! Mother Nature reminded us that it was indeed still winter. We had temps down in the single digits and had near-record wind chills temps. We even got more of that stinkin’ white stuff! The kids got to sleep in on Monday, due to the MLK Day holiday. Ann & I weren’t so lucky. Luke had an extra basketball practice that Matt ran him to before he went to wrestling practice. Abby had spent the night at a sleepover with a bunch of her friends and returned to the junior high school for basketball practice.
Tuesday was the coldest day in a long time with a wind chill well below zero. All the kids had practices after school. The Reds were awarded the 2015 MBL All-Star game! One of Matt’s football teammates, Elliott, was involved in a bad ATV accident. It reminded Ann & I of just how lucky Abby was last year when she was involved in a similar situation. Although he was taken to the hospital, he later came home too; again, very lucky just like Bu…
On Wednesday we had a light dusting of snow. Only Luke had the night off from practice. We caught up on American Idol episodes and had popcorn night. It was a nice, relaxing evening. Luke looked for a book for one of the kids at my work. While digging through their library, he came upon an old coach’s picture that I had given Matt years ago. It is from about 2000, I’d say and features 3 & 4 year olds, including Matt, his wrestling partner Nathan, his buddy Zach and Tyler along with his dad, John. We had so much fun that season but ya know I can’t even say if we had a winning season or not… Abby went from basketball to tap dance class and was more than a little grumpy that night. Bu brought home a couple of academic awards from school today. Way to go, Bu! Luke continues to draw each day. As good of an athlete that he his; he loves drawing more than anything else at this point in his life.
Matt had an orthopedic appointment on Thursday morning. Turns out that when he got dumped on his shoulder a couple weeks ago in the Tri High Super Duals (I think?); he actually dislocated another ligament from his shoulder. It’s been pretty sore ever since. We got a better idea of what to expect when he finally has his shoulder surgery next month. Abby had basketball and then was off to Dixon again – this time for tap class. Luke & I watched the series finally of one of our all-time favorite shows, Fringe. The write, JJ Abrams will turn his attention towards the new Star Wars, Episode 7 movie. Similar to the X-files, it enjoyed several seasons on Fox with over 100 episodes. Abby brought her buddy Kenzie home to stay the night, but I was already asleep and didn’t realize she was with us until the next morning when I woke her up and found an extra head in the bed! Matt hurt his back in practice and spent the night on the couch with a heating pad. Matt was in the paper a few times this week. Once was the write-up from the Conference wrestling tourney last weekend; one was for making the Honor Roll and one was a nice ad in the paper wishing the wrestling team good luck in Sectionals this weekend.

lbk13.21 aaa13.1.1 aaa13.1.2 lap13.1.1 lap13.1.2 fbp13.1.33 fbp13.1.34 fbp13.1.35 fbp13.1.36 fbp13.1.37 fbp13.1.38 fbp13.1.39 fbp13.1.40 fbp13.1.41 fbp13.1.42 mip13.1.2 mip13.1.3 mip13.1.4 mip13.1.1 Waybac.2000.mtbp1 Waybac.2000.mtbp2 Waybac.2000.mtbp3 Waybac.2000.mtbp4 Waybac.2000.mtbp5 Waybac.2000.mtbp6

We woke up to a snowstorm on Friday morning. I dropped the girls off at the junior high. Abby was grumpier than Ann – not an easy task for any morning. I’d say Columbus got about 2” of snow and Greensburg got about 1”. Thankfully the wind was absent and so we didn’t have to deal with blowing/drifting snow. I spent the whole morning shoveling and salting at work since my guys both had the day off (figures!). Thankfully, the rest of the day was spent in meetings, so I had plenty of time to rest. 😉 After wrestling practice, Matt spent the evening on the couch with a heating pad. He is in constant pain now with his shoulder and is looking forward to the relief that surgery will eventually bring. He did find out that his surgery will be really painful and he’ll be sent home with plenty of meds and will likely miss several days of school. I picked up Bu from basketball practice and headed home where Ann had made Matt his favorite dinner for good luck in his wrestling tourney tomorrow – chicken fettuccini. It was outstanding as always…
We were up early on Saturday morning. Gigi was kind enough to let us borrow her camera as ours is still on the fritz and we still haven’t had a chance to send it in to Olympus. We made the short, 30-minute trip down to North Vernon at Jennings County High School for the IHSAA sectional wrestling tournament. Matt was seeded 5th, earning a bye in the 1st round. His first match was against a senior from Seymour. Matt actually looked pretty good during this 2nd round match. He got robbed of one takedown and then came up short on a couple of moves and ended up on the bottom. He simply doesn’t have the strength in that right shoulder to finish his moves. It’s great to see that he’s starting to figure out technique, it’s just discouraging that his body is letting him down. To his credit, he battled right to the very end but in the end lost 2-4. The match ended with a big controversy, however. With only a couple of seconds left, the boy got behind Matt during a failed, desperation throw, picked him up and dumped him on his right shoulder. It was always my understanding that if you picked up your opponent, you were responsible for safely returning him to the mat. Well when he slammed him to the mat, he SLAMMED him to the mat. Not only did it really hurt his shoulder but he also smacked his head in to the mat and saw stars/blacked out for just a moment (likely incurring some mild form of concussion). He iced his shoulder and warmed up for the next match. It was obviously an illegal move and the coaches questioned the call. However, it was the end of the match. Perhaps if it had occurred earlier and Matt wasn’t able to continue then he could’ve been disqualified. As it was, the boy beat him fair and square up to that point. But with the 1st takedown that was no awarded and the point for the illegal move that wasn’t awarded, that would’ve made the match 5-4 in favor of Matt. But whatever, we really don’t want to move on like that…. I ran down and asked him if he was OK and he said he would be ready for the next match. To his credit, he came out strong in his 2nd match which was against a boy from Southwest – Hanover. He ended up pinning the boy in the 3rd round!! After that match, his chest was really starting to ache and we wondered if he had pulled a muscle or broken a rib as he said it hurt to simply breathe. Again, I asked him if he was truly OK and he said again that he hurt but that he could still go. So after the lunch break, off we went to the 3rd round. In his 3rd match, he faced another large boy from Switzerland Co. The 1st round was uneventful. However, he dominated in the 2nd round and by the 3rd period, wore him down and pinned him to qualify for Regionals again!! Congratulations to Matt for making it to Regionals for the 2nd straight year, especially with his body in the condition it is. Matt wasn’t the only Pirate to make through Sectionals. In all, 8 boys from Greensburg will be competing in Jeffersonville next week. In the final round of competition, Matt matched up again with the boy he faced in the first round that hurt his shoulder, the gargantuan senior from Seymour. Matt was confident that he could work something and had a good game plan. It didn’t quite work out that way however and when he tried a move, it backfired and he wound up on his back and was pinned. It was a good time to try something, as the match meant very little except seeding in next week’s tourney. With the loss, he wound up 4th on the podium. Again, not what he wanted; but given everything that happened…I think it’s a huge accomplishment and he continues to surprise his old man with his strength and courage. His grandmother would’ve been so proud of him today.

mws13.1 mws13.2 mws13.3 mws13.4 mws13.5 mws13.6 mws13.7 mws13.8 mws13.9 mws13.10 mws13.11 mws13.12 mws13.13 mws13.14 mws13.15 mws13.16 mws13.17 mws13.18 mws13.19 mws13.20 mws13.21 mws13.22 mws13.23 mws13.24 mws13.25 mws13.26 mws13.27 mws13.28 mws13.29 mws13.30 mws13.31 mws13.32 mws13.33 mws13.34 mws13.35 mws13.36 mws13.37 mws13.38 mws13.39 mws13.40 mws13.41 mws13.42 mws13.43 mws13.44 mws13.45 mws13.46 mws13.47 mws13.48 mws13.49 mws13.50 mws13.51 mws13.53 mws13.54 mws13.55 mws13.56 mws13.57 mws13.58 mws13.59 mws13.60 mws13.61 mws13.62 mws13.63 mws13.64 mws13.65 mws13.66 mws13.67 mws13.68 mws13.69 mws13.70 mws13.71 mws13.72 mws13.73 mws13.74 mws13.75 mws13.76 mws13.77 mws13.78 mws13.79 mws13.80 mws13.81 mws13.82 mws13.83 mws13.84

We headed back home and met up with the family at Grandma & Gigi’s house for Ann’s birthday party. Matt was supposed to stop by after he Gigi’s gourmet was open. Thanks to Sandy & Maryann for surprising us with so much good food. Memaw made a wonderful homemade cake with this amazing icing…yum… (It even made Luke exclaim, “Grandma, this is the best cake ever!”). It was dark by the time we got home and we were all pretty tired. We did a few weekly chores around the house but mostly flopped on our couch of choice.

abd13.1 abd13.2 abd13.3 abd13.4 abd13.5 abd13.6 abd13.7 abd13.8 abd13.9 abd13.10 abd13.11 abd13.12 abd13.13

Sunday was Ann’s birthday. We celebrated her 39th birthday for the fifth time. :0) It would’ve also been Granny’s 96th birthday. Sadly, we spent Annie’s birthday on the go, as we have done with most Sundays this winter. Abby had a volleyball game at Enochsburg’s St. John’s church. They played the North Decatur church team in the 1st game and got beat 2 sets to 1. Then after a lengthy wait, played St. Anthony’s team and beat them 2 sets to 1. Unfortunately none of us attended it except her. Thanks to Shawna for giving her a ride and watching out for her in our absence. Meanwhile, the rest of us (minus Matt who went to a buddy’s going-away-to-the-marines party and then flopped on the couch at home, nursing his sore body) went to Luke’s final basketball games of the year at the tourney in Knightstown. First up, the pint-sized Pirates faced 1st place Connersville Spartans. The winner went to the finals and the loser played for 3rd place. The boys came out flat and got run out of the gym. Luke played very little as the Pirates lost 30-13. Luke was 0-1 from the floor in his limited time with a turnover. Defensively he stood out again with a rebound, 2 steals, a blocked shot and a foul. Luke was pretty frustrated with the lack of playing time. I have to agree that Luke should be participating more. After an hour layover, we played Hagerstown for the 3rd time this year. We were out for revenge…and got it!! Again, Luke didn’t play much even though the Pirates won 27-9!! Lukey was again 0-1 from the field with a turnover. He was again a star on defense with 2 rebounds, 2 steals and two forced turnovers. Luke was so upset afterwards that he told us he did not want to play again next year. When we asked why, he said because he never plays. We encouraged him to keep working hard and he would get his chance. Besides, even the small amount of playing time is better for him than playing a full game at the Y where he is the best player on the court in a game where the defense can’t even steal the ball. He’s learned so much just from practice alone. We’ll work on him more during the off season to see if he will stick around one more year. That night Matt continued to be in tremendous pain. It hurts him to even breathe in. He can’t get comfortable to sleep through the night. He struggles to put on his shirt, much less take it off. We wonder if he has broken a collarbone or an upper rib or something. He is supposed to talk to the sports trainer before he practices. We just hope he hasn’t gotten hurt too badly this time…

lbk13.1 lbk13.2 lbk13.3 lbk13.4 lbk13.5 lbk13.6 lbk13.7 lbk13.8 lbk13.9 lbk13.10 lbk13.11 lbk13.12 lbk13.13 lbk13.14 lbk13.15 lbk13.16 lbk13.17 lbk13.18 lbk13.19 lbk13.20 lbk13.21 lbk13.22 lbk13.23 lbk13.24 lbk13.25 lbk13.26 lbk13.27 lbk13.28 lbk13.29 lbk13.30 lbk13.31 lbk13.32 lbk13.33 lbk13.34 lbk13.35 lbk13.36 lbk13.37 lbk13.38 lbk13.39 lbk13.40 lbk13.41 lbk13.42 lbk13.43 lbk13.44 lbk13.45 lbk13.46 lbk13.47 lbk13.48 lbk13.49 lbk13.50 lbk13.51 lbk13.52 lbk13.53 lbk13.54 lbk13.55 lbk13.56 lbk13.57 lbk13.58 lbk13.59 lbk13.60 lbk13.61 lbk13.62 lbk13.63 lbk13.64 lbk13.65 lbk13.66

Next up is our video section, including many new ones and several from around the internet.

Next up is our Shit Luke Says segment. We have two entries this week. Me: Hey Luke, you want to split this deer sausage stick? Luke: Eewww…no; I can taste the smell already! Later, while drawing a truck, “Dad, I’m making you a Bloody Mary truck that says, ‘I Like Liquor’!”

And finally we have our beloved Waybac section. We are winding down our supply of Gil Hutton photos. I’d say we have one, maybe two more weeks and then we’ll have to break in to another one of Mom’s boxes! This week we have pictures of Aunt Judy in 1963-64; Cathy in 1964; John & June (with Sally & Mary) in 1968; and Cathy & David in 1970.

Waybac.1963-1964.jas27 Waybac.1963-1964.jas28 Waybac.1963-1964.jas29 Waybac.1963-1964.jas30 Waybac.1963-1964.jas31 Waybac.1963-1964.jas32 Waybac.1963-1964.jas33 Waybac.1964.03.25.c5mo11 Waybac.1964.03.25.c5mo12 Waybac.1964.03.25.c5mo13 Waybac.1964.04.c3mo22b Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw125 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw126 Waybac.1968.12.21.jajw127 Waybac.1970.06.15.c6.5yo83 Waybac.1970.06.15.c6.5yo84 Waybac.1970.06.15.c6.5yo85 Waybac.1970.06.15.c6.5yo86 Waybac.1970.06.15.c6.5yo87 Waybac.1970.06.15.c6.5yo88 Waybac.1970.06.15.c6.5yo89 Waybac.1970.06.15.c6.5yo90 Waybac.1970.06.15.c6.5yo91

Well that puts the wraps on this week’s edition of the Scheu Family Blog. As always, thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply