I’m the King of the (Fair Parade)…Come Live your Secret Dream

Mother Nature turned up the heat in the oven this week as temperatures soared up in to the mid-90’s. With it, that blasted humidity tagged along as well. We can deal with the heat just fine but that humidity drove us indoors as often as possible – which wasn’t much, of course. The fair continued in full stride and the kids continued with their late summer sports. Keith returned home but Rosie & Megan stayed behind with Memaw & Gigi. All in all, another busy week…but we lead off with last Sunday’s Fair Parade down Park Road, starring Luke as the King of Hearts on the WTRE float! He decided that he wouldn’t ride on Coach Messer’s float with his good buddy Drew and instead got all dressed up and was the hit of the parade. I’m not exactly sure how they did with judging, but they were far and away our favorite float.

dcfp13.15 dcfp13.1 dcfp13.2 dcfp13.3 dcfp13.4 dcfp13.5 dcfp13.6 dcfp13.7 dcfp13.8 dcfp13.9 dcfp13.10 dcfp13.11 dcfp13.12 dcfp13.13 dcfp13.14 dcfp13.15 dcfp13.16 dcfp13.17 dcfp13.18 dcfp13.19 dcfp13.20 dcfp13.21 dcfp13.22 dcfp13.23 dcfp13.24 dcfp13.25 dcfp13.26 dcfp13.27 dcfp13.28 dcfp13.29 dcfp13.30 dcfp13.31 dcfp13.32

Matt was back at football practice three times a day on Monday. Luke went to the fair with his buddy Alex and his mom, Christy, during the late afternoon through early evening. Abby went to the fair with her friends that night as well. Ann and I had the night alone on the couch with some cheesy popcorn – it was a nice, quiet evening! Once the boys returned, we watched the MLB Home Run Derby. Yoenis Cespedes put on a helluva show with 17 monster homers in the 1st round alone and eventually won the contest. We had lots of new Facebook pictures this week, including Aunt June with Lindsay on an Alaska trip; our Week 19 friends, Courtney & Cassie; Abby and her lime green Beats; Jamie at the KY Speedway, only a few feet from Gordon’s stock car; Robert Plant in Chicago (broadcast on my old favorite radio station when I was little, WXIN); Barney’s grandkids; and Barney and his boys’ view at the All-Star game in NY.

acf13.1 acf13.2 acf13.3 acf13.4 acf13.5 acf13.6 acf13.7 acf13.8 acf13.9 acf13.10 acf13.11 acf13.12 acf13.13 hrd13.1 hrd13.2 hrd13.3

Tuesday was the same for Matt who was back at football practice most of the day. Abby had fast-pitch softball that evening, but the fair was going on so she got to play on the high school varsity field! They faced Team Nesius on a very, very hot and stupid-humid day. It was 95 degrees with nearly 50% humidity with no breeze. The heat index was 110…it was nasty. We went up a little early and set up the gazebo in the outfield. Memaw came to watch Bu play, which was a nice surprise. Abby was 1-1 with a walk and a single. She had 3 stolen bases, scored two runs. She caught the first inning and then moved to left field. During the inning, she suddenly began having a heat exhaustion / dehydration issue. I guess she got up at like 1pm and only ate a smoothie before heading out to the game that night. She stammered, “Umpire……(yes?)…ummm…I can’t see anything except black with white spots…” The umpire was very good with her and walked her in the dugout while motioning for us to come up and care for her. She had her jug of water and Ann took her a Gatorade we brought in the cooler and was fine after that though she had a headache. She toughed it out and finished the game, which made her parents proud – and Gma – who refused to get out of the heat until Abby had finished batting (tough old bird). Still, the girls dropped their 4th straight game, 4-12. Luke stayed the night at Alex’s house and Matt & I watched the All-Star game. The National League got blanked by the AL, 3-0. Votto and Phillips were both 0-2 and Chapman walked a guy and struck out the other one. The Reds enter the 2nd half of the season 5 games behind the Cardinals.

asvf13.1 asvf13.2 asvf13.3 asvf13.4 asvf13.5 asvf13.6 asvf13.7 asvf13.8 asvf13.9 asvf13.10 asvf13.11

On Wednesday night, we had my work friends, Philip & Michelle, over for dinner and for Philip to do electrical work in exchange for some computer work and our old pool items & supplies – a fair exchange and a good reason to have our friends over for some patio time! However, Michelle couldn’t make it so we were good. Phil came over for outstanding cheeseburgers, potato fries, pasta salad and corn on the cob (thanks Annie!). He got the bathroom fixture going after a part swap and about two hours’ labor. Unfortunately, he couldn’t get Abby’s fan to function properly. But wouldn’t you know it – 30 minutes after we reinstalled the fixture, Matt got a shower and one of the glass bulbs cover came loose and shattered everywhere. 🙁 So now we have to replace the fixture anyhow. Luke helped us…well sorta…
Matt again had football practice all day. Dad B had surgery on his shoulder. His rotator cuff has been bad for some time now, so we are glad he is getting it taken care of finally. I am very happy that Rob & Sharon are having him stay over for a couple weeks to help him out. I’m not sure what we’d do without those two. And Luke lost a tooth today. However, since he doesn’t believe…he won’t receive…

fbp13.7.88 fbp13.7.89 fbp13.7.90 fbp13.7.91 fbp13.7.92 fbp13.7.93 fbp13.7.94 fbp13.7.95 fbp13.7.96 fbp13.7.97 fbp13.7.98 fbp13.7.99 fbp13.7.100 fbp13.7.101 fbp13.7.102 fbp13.7.103 fbp13.7.104 fbp13.7.105 fbp13.7.106 fbp13.7.107 fbp13.7.108 fbp13.7.109 fbp13.7.110 lap13.7.1 lap13.7.2 lap13.7.3 lap13.7.4 lap13.7.5 lap13.7.6 ltl13.1

Matt had a doctor appointment on Friday and then football practice. He is looking good to start contact next week (FINALLY!!!). He will get some treatment on his back and shoulder with PT the rest of the year. He has one more doctor appointment on Monday before he is 100% cleared – cross your fingers! Matt picked up pizza for dinner on another hot, humid night. There had been some rain here in town but we saw nothing at work again (same as yesterday). The shower helped a little with the heat, but the humidity was kicking that evening when Luke’s first all-star baseball tourney started. First off, they faced the Batesville Bats travel team, which blanked us earlier in the year. This time we looked a little better but walks / wild pitches still plagued us and was the cause of our demise, losing 5-13. They only had 1 or 2 hits and I would say we were matched pretty evenly on both defense and hitting, but they were much better at pitching and it was clearly the difference. Luke played 1st base and made the few plays that came his way. He batted 4th and was plagued with bad luck at the plate all night. He was 0-2, officially. In his first at-bat, he battled the pitcher to a full count, fouled off 3 pitches but ended his trip to the plate with a foul-out (their first baseman made an amazing, diving catch in front of our dugout). In his 2nd at-bat, he should’ve been walked on a ball that nearly hit him, but instead worked the count to full and then swung at a pitch out of the zone. He grounded out on a ball up the middle that he very nearly beat out, but the 2nd baseman got him out by about 4-5 inches. It was by an eyelash, but he was out (the crowd didn’t think so at the time though). And then with the team trying to rally in the bottom of the last inning, he was left in the on-deck circle after a catch by their right fielder that would’ve surely been a home run had he missed it – instead easily doubled-off our runner from 2nd base to end the game. We sat down the left field line, which was the side without the sun in our eyes but it turned out to be Batesville’s side. A few of the people were very nice but there were a bunch of hillbillies that we swore would’ve been perfect to be in an episode of Cops! It was nice to see Matt stop out for a few minutes to support his brother – I wish I had done more of that when I was young with my brother. Although Bryan had a gig with his band Skeeter McGee, Angie joined us in the heat for the ball game.

lgss13.1 lgss13.2 lgss13.3 lgss13.4 lgss13.5 lgss13.6 lgss13.7 lgss13.8 lgss13.9 lgss13.10 lgss13.11 lgss13.12 lgss13.13 lgss13.14 lgss13.15 lgss13.16

Luke & I mowed at Memaw & Gigi’s house on Saturday morning before the storms hit. Matt attended a wrestling fund raiser at the country club where he played golf all day long – before, during and after all the rain. Luke had one tournament game. Next up were the First Baptist all-stars. But before the game could start, we had a big storm that caused a one hour rain delay. Ann & I squeezed Luke, Bu and a couple of the ball players into the van, along with all our equipment and stuff. We finally got back under the gazebo we had set up behind the right field fence of diamond 2 and tied off between the van and the fence. Luke played 1st base again and made every play that came his way. He again batted 4th but had much better luck this game than last night. In his first at-bat, he had an RBI single to get us on the board first. Then he was walked in his 2nd at-bat and proceeded to steal 2nd and 3rd base before scoring a run on a teammate’s base hit. Although the boys made a game of it, their pitching was their undoing again and they lost 6-9 in the constant rain. Afterwards we went out to El Reparo for dinner and then to Wal-Mart to go back-to-school shopping. Luke & I went to the sporting goods, electronics and toys where we got some ammo for our .22 pellet gun, a case for his iPod touch and a few newly-released Hot Wheels. Matt came back from golfing and went out swimming with his buddies and we watched Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid and Mulan for family night (Abby selected all three titles for us).

lgss13.17 lgss13.18 lgss13.19 lgss13.20 lgss13.21 lgss13.22 lgss13.23 lgss13.24 lgss13.25 lgss13.26 lgss13.27 lgss13.28 lgss13.29 lgss13.30 lgss13.31 lgss13.32 lgss13.33 lgss13.34 lgss13.35 lgss13.36 lgss13.37 lgss13.38 lgss13.39 lgss13.40 lgss13.41 lgss13.42 lgss13.43 lgss13.44 lgss13.45 lgss13.46 lgss13.47 lgss13.48 lgss13.49 lgss13.50 lgss13.51 lgss13.52 lgss13.53 lgss13.54 lgss13.55 lgss13.56 lgss13.57 lgss13.58 lgss13.59 lgss13.60 lgss13.61 lgss13.62 lgss13.63 lgss13.64 lgss13.65 lgss13.66 lgss13.67 lgss13.68 lgss13.69 lgss13.70 lgss13.71

And on Sunday, Luke had two more baseball tourney games. First up, we faced Mooresville in the late morning. Luke played 1st and batted clean-up again. In his first at-bat he walked and then faked a steal and got in to a pickle (on purpose) to get the runner home from 3rd! He got to 2nd base via a walk and then scored on a single from second base. The bugs were bad and kept biting Ann. In his 2nd at-bat, he hit into a fielder’s choice where the ump made another questionable call. He made it to 2nd on a hit and then scored on a double to left. However, our pitching again let us down and we lost 6-14. We had an hour to grab some lunch at home then headed back out in the intense heat for our 2nd game vs. Hamilton Fairfield (Ohio) team. We had our game moved to Kohler Field, where the men’s softball league is played. Luke played 1st base where he made 2 good plays. He batted 4th but only got 1 at-bat where he struck-out. The bugs were incessant and the game was graciously called after 2 ½ innings due to bugs with us down, 0-12. Ann and Abby went shopping; Luke & I did our weekly household chores & Matt didn’t move off the couch the entire day. Enjoy it while you can, buddy!!

lgss13.72 lgss13.73 lgss13.74 lgss13.75 lgss13.76 lgss13.77 lgss13.78 lgss13.79 lgss13.80 lgss13.81 lgss13.82 lgss13.83 lgss13.84 lgss13.85 lgss13.86 lgss13.87 lgss13.88 lgss13.89 lgss13.90 lgss13.91 lgss13.92 lgss13.93 lgss13.94 lgss13.95 lgss13.96 lgss13.97 lgss13.98 lgss13.99 lgss13.100 lgss13.101 lgss13.102 lgss13.103 lgss13.104 lgss13.105 lgss13.106 lggs13.107 lgss13.108 lgss13.109 lgss13.110 lgss13.111 lgss13.112 lgss13.113 lgss13.114

Next up is our video section, which features three new family videos and several from around the internet this week.

Next up is our favorite section – when we switch on the Waybac machine. We start off again with the same picture as last week. This time we have more information. It is Margaret & Connie (my grandma and great grandma) Morgan at Grandpa Leaf’s farm in 1926; next is Grandpaw Brown at a brewery convention in Chicago (I think?), circa 1940; then we have articles and a picture of Grandpaw in the newspaper in ’57; Mom & Aunt Midge around Easter in ’59 (it looks so strange to see them in the dining room and seeing a wall behind them instead of a doorway in to the master bedroom) and then several from the vacation cottage in May of ’59 with Mom, Midge and her 1st hubby, Grandmaw & Grandpaw Brown, Great Grandma & Grandpa Morgan, Uncle Ralph & Aunt Norma Spoor and others; Grandpaw in the paper again – this time for the Sherriff’s dept in approx. ’74; Nathan, Dan, Grandma Bryan and Dad in 1977 (at a lake picnic?); The White House in Sept of 1980; Christmas in Lafayette at Grandmaw & Grandpaw’s house in 1980 (hate those glasses); Rob & I’s b-day pictures in 1982 in LP: separate cakes (cool Cowboys cake!); Dad & Grandpaw working on Rob’s b-day present – a new tricycle in our living room on Rockwood (notice that cool ’64 Galaxie 500 setting out on the street through the window!); and the birthday boys; then Rob a month later in Grandmaw’s kitchen and Dad after Turkey Day meal (nice belt/pants there Dad!); poor overweight Peanuts in the bed she was too fat for but wouldn’t use any other bed(!) in October of ’86; Rob & I in a photo that was one of Mom’s favorites (it hung on her wall or sat out on a shelf all the time) or the birthday boys in 1986 – Rob was 6 and I was 17; my graduation ceremony flier from June of ’87 (great summer!); Dad at Pine Lake in LP in June of ’97 – George sent him 3 photos after he had sold his boat and on the back they read (“Where’s my Boat?” on this one and the others say “Where the Hell is my boat???” and the final one says, “Oh that’s right, I sold it!” George and Sue Yokum are dear friends that we still see on Week 19; then Luke in CRH, 1 day old in 2003; Sharon before she was Aunt Sharon in 2003; the kids in front of the tree in 2004; Rob, Dad, Mom and Abby in Rossville in December of 2004; the kids on Christmas morning in 2004; our other dear friends from Week 19 – Bob & Jackie Fisher in May of 2007; and finally Bu playing soccer in September of 2007.

Waybac.1920s.lpd1 Waybac.1926.mcagl Waybac.1940.gpbbm1 Waybac.1940.gpbbm2 Waybac.1957.10.2.3.gin1 Waybac.1957.11.10.gin1 Waybac.1957.12.04.gin1 Waybac.1959.04.ed4 Waybac.1959.05.mcs10 Waybac.1959.05.mcs11 Waybac.1959.05.mcs12 Waybac.1959.05.msc8 Waybac.1959.05.msc9 Waybac.1959.05.msc13 Waybac.1959.05.msc14 Waybac.1959.05.msc16 Waybac.1974.gin1 Waybac.1977.nas13 Waybac.1977.nas14 Waybac.1977nas Waybac.1980.09.19.twh4 Waybac.1980.12.cil10 Waybac.1982.10.31.bilp5 Waybac.1982.10.31.bilp6 Waybac.1982.10.31.bilp7 Waybac.1982.10.31.bilp8 Waybac.1982.11.tdil4 Waybac.1982.11.til5 Waybac.1986.10.29.pib1 Waybac.1986.t17yo.r6yo 001 Waybac.1987.06.tlphsgcp1 Waybac.1997.06.reb.wimb1 Waybac.2003.06.24.lbd8 Waybac.2003.ssi Waybac.2004.12. kpact1 Waybac.2004.12.cir23 Waybac.2004.12.cir24 Waybac.2004.12.cir25 Waybac.2006.12.cig30 Waybac.2007.05.17wn35 Waybac.2007.09.asg2

Well I guess that wraps up this installment of the Scheu Family Blog. As always, thanks for stopping by and keeping up with us and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss you, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply