That I ain’t too Old to Try…Try to get Back to the Start

Well the kids went back-to-school and are as active as ever. What an incredibly short summer it was! The locusts aren’t even out yet – the true sign of summer. Not only that, but I haven’t even seen any lightning bugs yet either. Abby suffered her first set-back, sports-wise. Matt – who continues to receive weekly therapy on his shoulder and back – spent the final few days of his summer vacation either enjoying couch time in the playroom or out gallivanting with his best buddy, Andy. Luke began football practices, fulltime and man, what a difference a year has made for him. Sadly, JJ Cale – the father of the “Tulsa Sound” – died. He is the author of such notable classic rock songs as “After Midnight” and “Cocaine” (made famous by Eric Clapton) and “Call Me the Breeze” (made famous by Lynyrd Skynyrd). And we finally got new next-door neighbors, supposedly the South Decatur principal. But we start off the picture section this week by going back to last weekend where Luke competed in the end-of-season All-Star Seymour tourney. Also included are pictures of our lunch at the Seymour Tumbleweeds where I took and passed the En Fuego Burger Challenge and our dinner at Red Star Pizza with the entire team and parents. Also included at the end are three photos taken by a professional photographer who was at the tourney, taking pictures on the field…

fdos13.0 labst13.0 labst13.1 labst13.2 labst13.3 labst13.4 labst13.5 labst13.6 labst13.7 labst13.8 labst13.9 labst13.10 labst13.11 labst13.12 labst13.13 labst13.14 labst13.15 labst13.16 labst13.17 labst13.18 labst13.19 labst13.20 labst13.21 labst13.22 labst13.23 labst13.24 labst13.25 labst13.26 labst13.27 labst13.28 labst13.29 labst13.30 labst13.31 labst13.32 labst13.33 labst13.34 labst13.35 labst13.36 labst13.37 labst13.38 labst13.39 labst13.40 labst13.41 labst13.42 labst13.43 labst13.44 labst13.45 labst13.46 labst13.47 labst13.48 labst13.49 labst13.50 labst13.51 labst13.52 labst13.53 labst13.54 labst13.55 labst13.56 labst13.57 labst13.58 labst13.59 labst13.60 labst13.61 labst13.62 labst13.63 labst13.64 labst13.65 labst13.66 labst13.67 labst13.68 labst13.69 labst13.70 labst13.71 labst13.72 labst13.73 labst13.74 labst13.75 labst13.76 labst13.77 labst13.78 labst13.79 labst13.80 labst13.81 labst13.82 labst13.83 labst13.84 labst13.85 labst13.86 labst13.87 labst13.88 labst13.89 labst13.90 labst13.91 labst13.92 labst13.93 labst13.94 labst13.95 labst13.96 labst13.97 labst13.98 labst13.99 labst13.100 labst13.101 labst13.102 labst13.103 labst13.104 labst13.105 labst13.106 labst13.107 labst13.108 labst13.109 labst13.110 labst13.111 labst13.112 labst13.113 labst13.114 labst13.115 labst13.116 labst13.117 labst13.118 labst13.119 labst13.120 labst13.121 labst13.122 labst13.123 labst13.124 labst13.125 labst13.126 labst13.127 labst13.128 labst13.129 labst13.130 labst13.131 labst13.132 labst13.133 labst13.134 labst13.135 labst13.136 labst13.137 labst13.138 labst13.139 labst13.140 labst13.141 labst13.142 labst13.143 labst13.144 labst13.145 labst13.146 labst13.147 labst13.148 labst13.149 labst13.150 labst13.151 labst13.152 labst13.153 labst13.154 labst13.155 labst13.156 labst13.157 labst13.158 labst13.159 labst13.160 labst13.161 labst13.162 labst13.163 labst13.164 labst13.165 labst13.166 labst13.167 labst13.168 labst13.169 labst13.170 labst13.171 labst13.172 labst13.173 labst13.174 labst13.175 labst13.176 labst13.177 labst13.178 labst13.179 labst13.180 labst13.181 labst13.182 labst13.183 labst13.184 labst13.185 labst13.186 labst13.187 labst13.188 labst13.189 labst13.190 labst.13.191 labst13.192 labst13.193 labst13.194 labst13.195 labst13.196 labst13.197 labst13.198 labst13.199 labst13.200 labst13.201 labst13.202 labst13.203 labst13.204 labst13.205 labst13.206 labst13.207 labst13.208 labst13.209 labst13.210 labst13.211 labst13.212 labst13.213 labst13.214 labst13.215 labst13.216 labst13.217 labst13.218 labst13.219 labst13.220 labst13.221 labst13.222

On Monday morning, Matt got to sleep in as began an odd week where he will have practice in the afternoons only until next Monday, when full pads/full contact begins – per IHSAA regulations. Ann attended a parent’s meeting at Luke’s football practice while Bryan and I facilitated practice for the boys (and girls). It was packed and there was no place to park out there. When Matt got home that night, he asked Ann what had happened to her car. Apparently, someone with a small, green car hit her in the back corner of her bumper as it was all pushed in. I was able to pull 90% of it out, but it still doesn’t look right. Ann’s going to call insurance and see what our options are… Luke & I were pretty darn tired afterwards as we worked hard on blocking with the sleds and tackling the dummies. Ann made one of our favorites – garlic chicken – for dinner and I ran out to Bryan’s house afterwards for a coach’s meeting and some quality dock time with Bryan, Chad and Bob.
Matt returned to football practice on Tuesday morning. The dogs caught a possum that brought around a turkey vulture (we hadn’t seen one of those around the yard before). I attended Open House with Luke at the elementary school that evening. Luke has Matt’s line coach – Mr. Scudder, so the two of them hit it off. He and I also had fun catching up, as he is an FC alum who played football also (granted, he is a little younger). Luke went over to Memaw & Gigi’s house to help them clean out their basement and spent the night there – something he had been looking forward to all summer long. Meanwhile, Ann took Abby to have her hair done and then ran her out to the old Maddox building for her photo shoot with Artistic Photography. It was in front of the old brick wall on the west side. It is for the school’s role model program (sounds similar to the old SADD program they had in school in my time) where the slogan is, “Be the Wall.”

tv13.1 ahc1 fbp13.8.28 ahc2 lap13.8.1 fcf13.1

Abby had volleyball tryouts on Wednesday. After making the 7th grade team last year with zero experience, she is hopeful about her chances of getting significant playing time this year after playing on a high school CYO volleyball team (she was by far the youngest on her team) in the winter and spring to hone her skills. Not only did she start and play the whole game, but their team won the league title. So we are looking for a lot out of her this fall. I mowed over at Memaw & Gigi’s house and picked up Luke afterwards. Abby had a play date at the putt-putt golf course with Baker, a young man that some say looks similar to Matt…I don’t see it… We enjoyed a quiet night where we got caught up on our DVR’ed TV shows and the kids went to bed early.
We were all up early on Thursday morning for the first day of school. It was a little rough and we had to get the squirt bottle out for motivation. Matt and his buddies wore “bro tanks.” I think they got in a little bit of trouble, but nothing too much. Matt is all senior, as his response was, “I don’t care…” :0) Abby did the morning announcements at school. Luke put the kickball over the fence during recess and thought he was big stuff. Matt had football practice where he participated in the annual weight lifting championship, despite being against doctor’s orders. Abby had volleyball tryouts again and felt pretty good about the workout. In fact, she said her coach commented on how much she had improved in her serving ability. And Ann and I attended an overwhelming senior parents meeting at the high school, where we discussed post-secondary school preparations. Man, is there a lot to do this year! I could not get all three kids to stand together as Matt had to leave and meet up with his bro-tank buddies in the parking lot and Bu was running late. So I ended up having to Photoshop a picture together for this annual picture. It’s not perfect, but it will do…

fdos13.1 fdos13.2 fdos13.3 fdos13.4 fdos13.5 fdos13.6 fdos13.7 fdos13.8 fdos13.9 fdos13.10 fdos13.11 fdos13.12 fdos13.13 fdos13.0

Abby did the morning announcements again on Friday at the junior high school, as she apparently will be doing all year, along with her good friend Emma (Phyllis & Dick’s granddaughter). Matt had the conclusion of this weight lifting championship with the football team. We were pleasantly surprised to hear his numbers – 200 bench-press, 400 squat and 225 power-clean. That is very, very good – considering he is working with a surgically repaired shoulder and was only recently released to begin full workouts again. Way to go, Hammer! 😉 Abby had her final day of 8th grade volleyball tryouts. Although I felt she was a shoe-in to make the team, I was very disappointed for her when Ann told me she had been left off the team this year. She was pretty upset, obviously. So Ann took her out for shopping therapy and she was much better after getting clothes and a meal with Mom. Being such a gifted natural athlete, she has never known disappointment of this degree. I have to admit that I am surprised that she didn’t make the team. She has improved so much from last year with much more experience under her belt. In fact we think that volleyball may be her sport in high school – she has that much potential. But she’ll just have to work harder in the off-season, I guess. I’m not sure what to think, since her coach moved up from 7th grade to 8th grade this year as well and there was a little friction last year between the two of them and even Ann and I had words with the coach. I’m not saying that played a role in her decision this year – that would be sour grapes…I’m just sayin’. Bottom line, she has to improve more this off-season. She has to go back to the drawing board and start all the way over. We will likely look for a travel team and possibly a couple camps for her to attend. Oddly enough, Coach did offer to keep Abby on her team to be the manager (which she quickly declined…almost felt like a slap in the face!) and did say that if there was an injury, that she would like to pull her on to the team. Again, I’m not sure what that all means (I don’t do politics and drama very well), but we are looking forward to getting a fresh start with a different coach next year in 9th grade. So now we are discussing soccer for a fall sport…we’ll just have to see how this all plays out… We have several new Facebook and Instagram pictures to share this week, including Abby & Megan; Mike & Brayton Smith; Dad & Sharon on the beach (Dad is recovering from rotator cuff surgery); the Drake’s boys in their football uniforms; an old one of Bu, Megan and Alex from about 2004; Jake & Katie’s kids; Bu with friends; Abby & Luke at El Reparo; the new Rush stamp (I gotta get one of these babies!); Chris & Trish’s boys on the 1st day of school; and more of Bu and her friends.

fbp13.8.1 fbp13.8.2 fbp13.8.3 fbp13.8.4 fbp13.8.5 fbp13.8.6 fbp13.8.7 fbp13.8.8 fbp13.8.9 fbp13.8.10 fbp13.8.11 fbp13.8.12 fbp13.8.13 fbp13.8.14 fbp13.8.15 fbp13.8.16 fbp13.8.17 fbp13.8.18 fbp13.8.19 fbp13.8.20 fbp13.8.21 fbp13.8.22 fbp13.8.23 fbp13.8.24 fbp13.8.25 fbp13.8.26 fbp13.8.27

Luke had football practice on Saturday morning where we worked on blocking/tackling with full pads for first time this year! He also ran the ball a few times (he got hit hard) and spent extra time after practice with Drew, Coach Messer and I working on kicking and pass routes with Drew. Uncle Robby & Aunt Sharon sent Abby some money for her upcoming birthday that allowed her to go get her hair colored/frosted/highlighted (whatever it’s called now) – and so Ann took her to get that done and she looks fantastic! In lieu of mowing the lawn (it can wait until next week), I took a long afternoon nap. I woke up with Mom & Gigi in the house for dinner and to celebrate Gigi’s birthday (a week late). Ann made Sandy’s favorite dinner – meatloaf, baked potatoes, fresh sweet corn and olive dip! Afterwards we played a game of euchre (the birthday girl and her roommate barely won, 10-9). We then sang to Sandy and had ice cream and brownie sundaes – yum!! They left fairly early which allowed us to take it easy and have another quite night at home where we watched all the other stuff on our DVR and got caught up on our sleep some more.

ahc3 ahc4 ahc5 ahc6 ahc7 ahc8 ahc9 ahc10 ahc11 gbd13.1 gbd13.2 gbd13.3 gbd13.4 gbd13.5

We slept in a little bit on Sunday morning. We got up and Ann took Matt shopping while the rest of us did our weekly household chores around the house and watched the NASCAR race at the “Tricky Triangle” – Pocono, where Jeff almost pulled one out and was leading with 2 laps left but couldn’t hold off teammate Kahne and finished 2nd. Another good thing was the first NFL game – our beloved Cowboys faced the Dolphins in the first pre-season matchup of the year. The game was the Hall of Fame game this year, which concludes the big weekend festivities in Canton, OH. Some of the inductees in this year’s class included the Cowboy’s G Larry Allen, DT Warren Sapp from Tampa Bay and the great Coach Bill Parcells. Luke played over at Alex’s house for several hours. And the BBC announced there will be a new Doctor Who (one of my all-time favorite TV shows) taking over during the annual Christmas episode – Dr. Number 12 will be Peter Capaldi.

Next up is our video section, including three new family videos and a few from around the internet…

It is time now for our favorite section – the Waybac pictures. 😉 Leading off this time, we have a few from the 40’s, including Grandpaw Brown in the early forties; Grandmaw Brown and Aunt Lou in the mid forties and Grandpaw with his car; then we have Mom and family at the quarry in about ‘52; the Lafayette Columbian Park pool on opening day in March of ’55; Grandmaw & Aunt Lou in August of ’55; Mom’s first communion at St. Boniface with Grandmaw in June of ’57; Aunt Midge hula-hooping in November of ’58; Grandpaw at the quarry in ’58; the summer cabin in Sept of ’59; Grandpaw in the newspaper in March of ’67; Robby at Christmas in LaPorte (our first in the Rockwood home) in December of ‘81 – love that Fisher Price ATV Explorer! I also had one as a young child…and even now as an adult (officially we bought it for Lukey to play with but I’ve kept it nice since then); then Mom and Rob the day after Christmas in ’81; Rob & Vicki in Lake Schaeffer during our last vacation at the Big Chief Lodge in Monticello with our good friends, the Crum’s; Great Grandpa Morgan at Uncle Keith’s house for Christmas in 1982; Grandpaw’s Die-Hard Cub’s Fan Club certificate form the 80’s; a Yeti loose in our kitchen in September of 2003; a sweet one of Matt and Abby playing in the playroom in the fire truck tent in about 2004; a couple of Sue and Mike during Week 19’s welcome party in May of 2007 (one of her last ones); and finally little Abby playing first base in her softball game in June of 2007.

Waybac.1940.gpbbm4 Waybac.1946.gmbala Waybac.1946.gpbwc Waybac.1952.maq2 Waybac.1955.03.cppo1a Waybac.1955.08.calab1 Waybac.1957.06.mfc3 Waybac.1957.06.mfc4 Waybac.1958.11.amhh1 Waybac.1958.maq3 Waybac.1959.09.scv2 Waybac.1959.09.svc1 Waybac.1967.03.09.gin1 Waybac.1967.03.09.gin2 Waybac.1981.12.25.cdor3 Waybac.1981.12.25.cdor5 Waybac.1981.12.25.cdors4 Waybac.1981.12.26.marik1 Waybac.1982.08.06.svim10 Waybac.1982.12.19.caukh1 Waybac.1985.dhcfc Waybac.2003.09.stik1 Waybac.2004.aamift1 Waybac.2007.05.14.wn38 Waybac.2007.05.14.wn39 Waybac.2007.06.asps3

And that does it for this week’s installment of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We sure miss ya, Mom…
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply