There’s no Sensation to Compare with this…A State of Bliss

Are you ready for some football?? This week marked the official start of the regular season for both Matt and Luke. For Matt, it is bittersweet. He has worked very hard to come back from shoulder surgery, but it also his final high school season. For Luke, it is his second season. He had so much potential last year, but made too many rookie mistakes. We are banking on breakthrough seasons from both this year. Sure enough, both boys played very well, but more on that later. Also returning this week were the high temperatures, reaching up in to the 90s most days. Not sure if this counts as an Indian Summer or if we will see yet another late-season rally. We lead off this week with pictures of last week’s football games from Gigi’s camera. This includes pictures of Gracie doing cheerleading, Matt making a guest appearance at the junior high game, Luke playing in the jamboree and Matt scrimmaging against Indian Creek.

mfs13.66 gc13.8.22 gc13.8.23 gc13.8.24 gc13.8.25 gc13.8.26 gc13.8.27 gc13.8.28 gc13.8.29 gc13.8.30 gc13.8.31 gc13.8.32 gc13.8.33 gc13.8.34 gc13.8.35 gc13.8.36 gc13.8.37 gc13.8.38 gc13.8.39 gc13.8.40 gc13.8.41 gc13.8.42 gc13.8.43 gc13.8.44 gc13.8.45 gc13.8.46 gc13.8.47 gc13.8.48 gc13.8.49 gc13.8.50 gc13.8.51 gc13.8.52 gc13.8.53 gc13.8.54 gc13.8.55 gc13.8.56 gc13.8.57 gc13.8.58 gc13.8.59 gc13.8.60 gc13.8.61 gc13.8.62 gc13.8.63 gc13.8.64 gc13.8.65 gc13.8.66 gc13.8.67 gc13.8.68

On Monday, it was back to work and school again. It was a scorcher! Matt had job shadowing at Decatur County Memorial Hospital. Apparently he is supposed to be getting a sheet signed weekly but he somehow overlooked this requirement. Although he got them all turned in after the fact, he may have to serve detention. Matt had football after school. Abby had school pictures. Luke and I had football practice that evening. Even though she didn’t feel well, Ann made tacos for dinner. We can thank Abby for getting Ann sick (thanks Bu). Monday Night Football debuted that evening, a sure sign that fall is coming.
Abby got the official word on Tuesday – she made the travel fast-pitch softball team! Way to go, Bu! Matt, Luke and I had football practice. Ann was still sick, blowing and hacking all day and night. It was Robert Plant’s 65th birthday.
On Wednesday, Matt returned to job shadowing at the hospital before school and then had football after school. Abby finally made it official – she is dating her friend Baker now. 😉 Luke and I fixed the Stingray and the mountain bike so we could ride them both. Ann was feeling a little better and Abby is fully recovered. Ann made Luke spaghetti for dinner and he was nice enough to let the rest of us have some too. 🙂
Matt had football practice on Thursday night and team dinner afterwards. Luke had football practice that evening. They scrimmaged against the 6th graders and did really well. It was another hot, humid day. Abby had dance practice over at Dixon Studios. We have a few new social media pictures to share this week, including Abby looking cute; Matt with a now and then shot; Abby with her buddy Brittney; Keith, Rosie & Megan; my good friend Mark Kosier and his wife at the Sox game; St. Mary’s church (my old church) in Lafayette; a Scheu Family picture from Daniel & Kels’ wedding earlier this summer and a bridal shower invite for little Lindsay. Also included is the latest of Luke’s artwork papers (he has not done much art lately, unfortunately).

fbp13.8.106 fbp13.8.107 fbp13.8.108 fbp13.8.109 fbp13.8.110 fbp13.8.111 fbp13.8.112 fbp13.8.113 lap13.8.4

On Friday morning, Matt returned to job shadowing after running Luke to school. You know, we’ll really miss that next year…among other things, obviously. We finished up a state DCS survey that went very well this week at my work. I hurried home to meet up with Ann and the kids to go to the newly renovated Shriver Field. Some of the new features are new gates and entrances, a new scoreboard and a new opponent’s side press box. Ann met up with a friend from high school that now owns a very cool Pirate truck with an amazing sound system. The truck is used at games for tail-gating. He has agreed to come to all high school games this year. It was very exciting to watch the boys go through their warm-ups with such a big team this year! They opened the season vs. the Shelbyville Bears. We had beaten them three years in a row. Matt got his name announced along with the other defensive starters before the game. He led the team in their opening cheer before they rushed on to the field! Matt got the starting nod at both DT and OT. He played well, making a few tackles and nearly getting a fumble recovery. He still has room for improvement as do all the boys, given they were a little rusty in their first game. Still, we should’ve won on this steamy evening. However, we had two glaring issues: the right side of the defense could not keep outside containment and the offense could not protect the ball, turning it over 4 times. They scored on every turnover. In fact we were -3 in the turnover category. I was pleased to see them throw the ball more and they ran a hurry-up offense that was a throwback to last year, where they simply pounded it up the middle over and over, running behind that big, senior front line. It was a close contest right to the end. With less than a minute remaining in the game, we were down by 3 and driving down the field. We had gotten inside the 10 and the stadium was rocking. Everyone could feel that we were going to win the game when the unexpected occurred – we fumbled again. This time, there would be no recovery. It was only two plays later with only seconds remaining that they broke an 85 yard run for the game-winning score. The boys could’ve tackled the runner a couple times, but were trying to strip it instead and the game ended 18-28. Our hopes for an undefeated season, dashed. There were rumors that a young man playing for them was on probation and was ineligible to play. Not only did he play, but he got a couple personal fouls on him and was thrown out of the game. If the IHSAA found out, they would have to forfeit the game. However, the last thing I heard was that Coach was not going to pursue it. Matt was double- and triple-teamed most of the contest. He had many good blocks, but there is one play that they ran frequently that they need to tweak a bit, as the running back and Matt kept hitting the hole simultaneously. I’m not sure if he is the captain of the o-line, but I noticed that before each play, he would receive signals from the coach and then as the boys headed to the line, he was making calls each time. Afterwards we went out to Pizza King for dinner and got enough food to eat off it the rest of the weekend! Abby sat with all her buddies at dinner while the varsity QB (and Matt’s good friend, Andy) talked with Matt and I about the game. We ran one of Abby’s friends home and then headed back to our home where we didn’t last long, falling asleep on the couches.

mfs13.1 mfs13.2 mfs13.3 mfs13.4 mfs13.5 mfs13.6 mfs13.7 mfs13.8 mfs13.9 mfs13.10 mfs13.11 mfs13.12 mfs13.13 mfs13.14 mfs13.15 mfs13.16 mfs13.17 mfs13.18 mfs13.19 mfs13.20 mfs13.21 mfs13.22 mfs13.23 mfs13.24 mfs13.25 mfs13.26 mfs13.27 mfs13.28 mfs13.29 mfs13.30 mfs13.31 mfs13.32 mfs13.33 mfs13.35 mfs13.36 mfs13.37 mfs13.38 mfs13.39 mfs13.40 mfs13.41 mfs13.42 mfs13.43 mfs13.44 mfs13.45 mfs13.46 mfs13.47 mfs13.48 mfs13.49 mfs13.50 mfs13.51 mfs13.52 mfs13.53 mfs13.54 mfs13.55 mfs13.56 mfs13.57 mfs13.58 mfs13.59 mfs13.60 mfs13.61 mfs13.62 mfs13.63 mfs13.64 mfs13.65 mfs13.66 mfs13.67 mfs13.68 mfs13.69 mfs13.70 mfs13.71 mfs13.72 mfs13.73 mfs13.74 mfs13.75 mfs13.76 mfs13.77 mfs13.78 mfs13.79 mfs13.80 mfs13.81 mfs13.82 mfs13.34

Matt was up early on Saturday to head in to football practice. Whatever kind of bug that Ann had, she passed on to me (thanks honey). I sneezed and blew my nose and coughed all morning. I took half a pack of Kleenexes with me to the ball field to coach Luke’s football game. It was their home opener of the regular season vs. Sunman (East Central). Luke also started at DT and OT. He also did kickoffs and extra points. However, the poor kid spent half the time pulling his pants up. He needs a youth medium but they ran out of that size and so he has to wear a youth large – which obviously leaves too much room for him now (he has lost about 15 lbs since football started, pushing himself very hard at practice). He played equally well as his brother, but still has room for improvement – as do all our boys. It was a very close game. I got in trouble for taping the defense while coaching on the field, so Ann graciously taped for us after I had to relinquish control. Not sure what type of advantage they thought I was giving our team, but I didn’t argue. We played great defensively, except for one play where we had a breakdown and forgot how to tackle. We gave up a 70-yard run. Thankfully, it would be the only time they would find pay dirt against us this day. We also found the endzone only once, but we made our points after touchdown and held on to win 8-6!! Matt helped on the chain gang and Abby took pictures along with Gigi since Ann ran the video camera. Thanks kiddos!! We were so excited as a coaching staff for the boys (and girl). I especially felt good for Brian, as he was facing his alma mater. It made the victory extra sweet for him. Coach O’Neill would be proud to see that I ran the same two defenses – a 5-2 and a 4-3 – as we did at LaPorte. He would be even more pleased to hear the nicknames I gave the two defenses, to make it easier for the kids to remember. I named them Black and Orange. 😉 I was very happy with our defense – they played their hearts out and sweated their butts off – man it was hot! Even my best buddy Paul made it out to the field to catch a little bit of our game before both of this boys played later in the day. I took Luke out to BK for a late lunch to celebrate the hard-earned victory and talk privately about the game with him. We spent quite a bit of time in there, cooling off and talking about the game – it was pretty cool, actually. We ran to Wal-Mart and then came home to shower and do a few things around the house. Abby and Matt took a long nap, as did I. Luke ended up playing outside with Alex – riding bikes, climbing trees and playing army guys. The boys went back and forth between our houses (they live three houses down) before staying the night at Alex’s house. Ann & I were supposed to go out to the annual St. Mary’s festival for dinner and beer and to catch Bryan and his band Skeeter McGee. We even had after-party plans with Bryan & Angie. However, Ann passed that damn cold bug over to me and I felt poopy all afternoon. Like Ann, I found myself blowing my nose and coughing incessantly, ensuring that I would not be out partying with our friends. Ann slept all afternoon and in to the evening. We both flopped on the couch and watched pre-season football. The Colts and Broncos (Peyton Manning) both won.

lfs13.1 lfs13.2 lfs13.3 lfs13.4 lfs13.5 lfs13.6 lfs13.7 lfs13.8 lfs13.9 lfs13.10 lfs13.11 lfs13.12 lfs13.13 lfs13.14 lfs13.15 lfs13.16 lfs13.17 lfs13.18 lfs13.19 lfs13.20 lfs13.21 lfs13.22 lfs13.23 lfs13.24 lfs13.25 lfs13.26 lfs13.27 lfs13.28 lfs13.29 lfs13.30 lfs13.31 lfs13.32 lfs13.33 lfs13.34 lfs13.35 lfs13.36 lfs13.37 lfs13.38 lfs13.39 lfs13.40 lfs13.41 lfs13.42 lfs13.43 lfs13.44 lfs13.45 lfs13.46 lfs13.47 lfs13.48 lfs13.49 lfs13.50 lfs13.51 lfs13.52 lfs13.53 lfs13.54 lfs13.55 lfs13.56 lfs13.57 lfs13.58 lfs13.59 lfs13.60 lfs13.61 lfs13.62 lfs13.63 lfs13.64 lfs13.65 lfs13.66 lfs13.67 lfs13.68 lfs13.69 lfs13.70 lfs13.71 lfs13.72 lfs13.73 lfs13.74 lfs13.75 lfs13.76 lfs13.77 lfs13.78 lfs13.79 lfs13.80 lfs13.81 lfs13.82 lfs13.83 lfs13.84 lfs13.85 lfs13.86 lfs13.87 lfs13.88 lfs13.89 lfs13.90 lfs13.91 lfs13.92

We took it easy on Sunday, sleeping in and flopping on the couch. I watched the taped the Bristol race – nothing like the Thunder Valley night race! Gordon had a great car, running in the top 5 for much of the night in his new paint scheme (Axalta) and coming through the field twice to finish 7th. We did our weekly chores around the house, watched movies and more pre-season football. Luke had basketball practice at the junior high. Abby had Baker come over for dinner and Ann made cheeseburgers, mac n’ cheese and pasta salad…yum! :0)

abofd13.1 abofd13.2

Next up is our video section, featuring four new family videos from this week as well as a few from around the internet:

Next up is our Waybac section. We lead off this week with Grandpaw Brown with his army buddies in 1941; then one of an “Angel” in 1944 – maybe Aunt Marilou? …hard to tell; then a cute one of Mom at the beach in ’53; out front of her Elmwood home in ’53; Lou at the beach in ’54; the Atha family in ’54; Mom’s First Communion with her Mom & Dad in June of ’57; Grandpaw Brown in a photo for a pamphlet that was distributed to schools, regarding safety tips in ’57; Grandpaw in the newspaper in February of 1959; Aunt Midge dancing at Grandmaw & Grandpaw’s house in March of ’59; Grandpaw back in the paper in May of 1968; Rob with Grandpaw and Lou at Christmas on Elmwood in 1980; then a year later with Grandmaw, Grandpaw, Dad, Rob & I (Mom was obviously taking the picture) at Christmas dinner in 1981; Dad, Mom & Rob a few months later, up in Lafayette again on Elmwood for Easter in March of ’82 (notice Mom’s eye is shut – so she recently had her aneurism. We were so blessed to have her recover and spend another thirty years with us…then the last hurrah for Grandmaw & Grandpaw Brown – their 40th anniversary party, put together by Mom & Dad in August of ’86 – that was really neat! I wish I could’ve done something like that for Mom & Dad. Next up is Dad asleep after our birthday party in October of ’86; Luke’s birth at CRH, being held by his Big Bubby in June of 2003; Mom with Lukey in Rossville in August of 2003; Rob, Gigi & I on Christmas Eve in 2004; and finally another silly one from Week 19 with Dad putting on a pair of Speedos in May of 2007.

Waybac.1941.gpbsp4 Waybac.1944.ag1 Waybac.1953.lsb1 Waybac.1953.mah1 Waybac.1954.08.lsb1 Waybac.1954.09.laf1 Waybac.1957.06.mfc8 Waybac.1957.06.mfc9 Waybac.1957.06.mfc10 Waybac.1957.06.mfc11 Waybac.1957.06.mfc12 Waybac.1957.gin7 Waybac.1959.02.11.gin1 Waybac.1959.03.mwm1 Waybac.1959.03.mwm2 Waybac.1968.05.14.gin1 Waybac.1980.12.cil5 Waybac.1981.12.cilp8 Waybac.1981.12.cilp9 Waybac.1981.12.cilp10 Waybac.1982.03.28.eil6 Waybac.1982.03.28.eil7 Waybac.1986.08.ggba11 Waybac.1986.10.28.trbdp4 Waybac.2003.06.24.lb13 Waybac.2003.08.mwl1 Waybac.2004.12.trsac1 Waybac.2007.05.14.wn42

And that wraps up yet another edition of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks as always for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom…
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply