I get Knocked Down, but I get Up again…You’re Never Gonna Keep Me Down

These last few weeks flew by as we wrapped up Zeptember and headed in to Rocktober. Hello again and welcome to our first ever triple edition of the Scheu Family Blog. It has been quite busy since we touched base last time. The leaves are flying and changing colors. The kids wrapped up the 1st 9 weeks and we had our Fall Break. We went on a quick vacation to Panama City Beach with our good friends the Messers and Evans. Matt got hurt really bad in a football game and both boys wrapped up their regular season. For Matt, it might possibly be the last organized game in which he participates for the rest of his life…
To start with, we go all the way back to two weeks ago…Monday was finals week for the kids. Matt and Luke had football practice. Bryan and I had a good practice with the kids, following the tough loss vs. East Central Bright yesterday. It rained a little, early on and was really foggy to start off the day. It ended up being a gorgeous day. Abby & Ann had jazz dance at Dixon. Bryan, Chad & I watched MNF at Bryan & Angie’s house. It wasn’t a very good game, but we had fun nonetheless.
On Tuesday we saw a little rain on the first day of October. Matt had football practice and Luke & I met Drew at North Park for an awful football practice. I mean it was bad…very sloppy. Our kids looked awful against the 5th grade team. It was another late night.
Wednesday was another gorgeous day. Matt had a good football practice, but his body is really starting to feel the grind of the season. He has a sore knee, ankle, shoulder, shin, tricep and I’m sure I’ve missed one somewhere. The deep bruise of the tricep was especially nasty looking as it spread from his upper arm nearly down to his wrist at one point on this day. It looked sort of like a tan. He spoke to the trainer about it and he said it should clear up on its own soon. When we talked to Gigi, she commented on how good Matt presented himself on the radio last Friday night and reiterated that he had a future in the field, should he so choose… It was mow day and because of the recent rains, we had to mow both homes again. Luke was of little help this week but did get to sow with Memaw. No one else has been able to ever use her million dollar machine…until now! She and Luke made a cool Pirate flag with it.
Ann worked a half day on Thursday as she did a ton of running. I went on to work and came home to coach Luke’s 4th grade team with Bryan. It was awful…a total mess. The kids had to run at least 4 laps that I can remember. They had no energy and had trouble staying focused for whatever reason. That is not a good sign for this weekend’s game. Matt, on the other hand, had a great practice with his team and they are confident they can beat their rivals this year again. Abby and Ann were out late at tap class but came home in time to make popcorn. We are out of our favorite (Fireworks) gourmet corn and need to order more after vacation. We have lots of new social media pictures including Abby & Baker; Keith, Rosie & Megan on vacation; Ryan, Carly & Emmitt; Aunt Karen with Camille; Allen & Taylor; Remixed Vapor Trails; Grace Potter; Matt on crutches and our yard sale ad.

mfr13.44 fbi13.10.1 fbi13.10.2 fbi13.10.3 fbi13.10.4 fbi13.10.5 fbi13.10.6 fbi13.10.7 fbi13.10.8 fbi13.10.9 fbi13.10.10 fbi13.10.11 fbi13.10.12 fbi13.10.13 fbi13.10.14 fbi13.10.15 fbi13.10.16 fbi13.10.17 fbi13.10.18 fbi13.10.19 fbi13.10.20 fbi13.10.21 fbi13.10.22 fbi13.10.23 lap13.10.1 lap13.10.2 lap13.10.3 mfpm13.1 mfpm13.2

Ann did a ton of running again, in preparation of our impending Fall Break getaway. We went out to the high school early to tailgate with our other senior football parent friends. This has been a lot of fun hanging out with them this year. We weren’t sure what to expect, but knew it would be a good game as Batesville came in to town on Homecoming, bringing with them a perfect 6-0 record. They are ranked 7th in the state in 3A football and their defense is ranked #1 as far as points allowed is concerned. We have several pictures of Abby with her good friends, including Brooke who is leaving for good after the game, moving out of state. It was bittersweet for her. As for the game, the first half did not disappoint. The Pirates jumped out to a nice 14-7 lead shortly after the 2nd quarter started. The defense did a great job of stopping the run but we fumbled the ball once and botched a quick punt in our final two possessions of the half. And then they started passing the ball. They easily marched down the field twice to lead the game at 21-14 at halftime. We got the ball and some momentum to start the 3rd quarter after the long Homecoming at halftime. We were driving down the field and were at the Bulldog 35 when we coughed up the ball again and turned it over. You could see the wind come out of their sails. Batesville proceeded to drive down the field and take a 28-14 lead. They never relinquished the lead the rest of the night. Frankly, we were never really close after that point either. The large crowd was dead and thinned quickly during the 3rd quarter. Honestly, we did not make the right adjustments at halftime and they did – that’s what won the game for them. We ended up getting smoked in the 4th quarter where they really opened up their lead and won going away, 42-14. Matt went the homecoming dance, which was again a major disappointment and he left 10 minutes after he arrived. He came home and went to bed sore, angry, exhausted. We were up very late that night making last minute preparations for our Florida trip. We did laundry and packed everything up. We were ready to go in only a few hours – we are getting good at this stuff!

alb13.1 alb13.2 alb13.3 alb13.4 alb13.5 alb13.6 alb13.7 alb13.8 alb13.9 alb13.10 alb13.11 alb13.12 alb13.13 alb13.14 alb13.15 alb13.16 alb13.17 alb13.18 alb13.19 alb13.20 alb13.21 alb13.22 alb13.23 mfbb13.1 mfbb13.2 mfbb13.3 mfbb13.4 mfbb13.5 mfbb13.6 mfbb13.7 mfbb13.8 mfbb13.9 mfbb13.10 mfbb13.11 mfbb13.12 mfbb13.13 mfbb13.14 mfbb13.15 mfbb13.16 mfbb13.17 mfbb13.18 mfbb13.19 mfbb13.20 mfbb13.21 mfbb13.22 mfbb13.23 mfbb13.24 mfbb13.25 mfbb13.26 mfbb13.27 mfbb13.28 mfbb13.29 mfbb13.30 mfbb13.31 mfbb13.32 mfbb13.33 mfbb13.34 mfbb13.35 mfbb13.36 mfbb13.37 mfbb13.38 mfbb13.39 mfbb13.40 mfbb13.41 mfbb13.42 mfbb13.43 mfbb13.44

We were up early on Saturday. Mom O took Ann to get a rental car. She surprised Luke when she pulled up in a 2013 Dodge Charger (Luke’s favorite car)! It had plenty of room for storage, plenty of room for 4 people, got decent gas mileage and has great pickup in the passing gear. 😉 We got the car all loaded up and headed over to pick up Bryan and Drew. We drove together down to Lawrenceburg for Luke’s youth league football game to take on the 4-1 Tigers. We met our match against this team – they were a very good team with a tough defense. Our defense was ready for the challenge. We shut them out in the first half, most of the 3rd quarter and all of the 4th and final quarter. Offensively, we couldn’t block to save our lives. We had trouble stopping them all day. Luke was put on their “stud” and was ordered to stay with him the whole game. So Luke played both sides of the offensive line as both tackle and end to try and stop him as he moved around the ball. He did a decent job with him as well. I was very proud of his work with that boy. Defensively, there were terrible officiating calls. We had two phantom face mask calls that did NOT occur. We also had a holding call away from the play that called back one of our few successful plays we had all day. They did not call a holding violation on the end that resulted in a long run for them all the way down to the 3 yard line. Our cornerback got hurt on the play and had to come out. We had to make a few adjustments to get our defense set and I was totally discombobulated. I should’ve called a timeout but instead went with the flow and ended up calling the wrong defense and they scored easily on us. They did not get the PAT and lead 6-0. The topper was when the referee came to the sideline and asked our best player if he was hurt. He said he had seen the helmet-to-helmet hit by Lawrenceburg and was worried he had a concussion. When I inquired about the non-call of the helmet-to-helmet hit, he said it wasn’t his call but the concussion was his call. He asked all the questions and our boy answered no except that his head hurt, which was why we pulled him out. Despite saying no, he pulled our boy out and said he could not play the rest of the game. What a shocker. It was these types of blatant abuses of power that we are helpless against. The old man that was doing the officiating will be getting a nasty-gram from the Greensburg coaching staff as we will file a formal protest about the one-sidedness of the calls. I know the officials are only human, but when it is blatant and makes a difference in the outcome, you have to call it. It was obvious that we are the new kids on the block and won’t get many plays called our way, but come on… We could not score and the game ended 6-0 and we had lost back-to-back games. However, we are sure that we have seen the two toughest teams in the league. After the game, we packed up and left from the field and headed south for Florida. Luke and Drew rode with us for the first part of the journey while Abby rode with Bryan & Angie. We eventually got Abby back and we spent the night in Birmingham. The guys had a short night cap down in the lobby before calling it a day.

lfl13.1 lfl13.2 lfl13.3 lfl13.4 lfl13.5 lfl13.6 lfl13.7 lfl13.8 lfl13.9 lfl13.10 lfl13.11 lfl13.12 lfl13.13 lfl13.14 lfl13.15 lfl13.16 lfl13.17 lfl13.18 lfl13.19 lfl13.20 lfl13.21 lfl13.22 lfl13.23 lfl13.24 lfl13.25 lfl13.26 lfl13.27 lfl13.28 lfl13.29 lfl13.30 lfl13.31 lfl13.32 lfl13.33 lfl13.34 lfl13.35 lfl13.36 lfl13.37 lfl13.38 lfl13.39 lfl13.40 lfl13.41 lfl13.42 lfl13.43 lfl13.44 lfl13.45 lfl13.46 lfl13.47 lfl13.48 lfl13.49 lfl13.50 lfl13.51 lfl13.52 lfl13.53 lfl13.54 lfl13.55 lfl13.56 lfl13.57 lfl13.58 lfl13.59 lfl13.60 lfl13.61 lfl13.62 lfl13.63 lfl13.64 lfl13.65 lfl13.66 lfl13.67 lfl13.68 lfl13.69 lfl13.70 lfl13.71 lfl13.72 lfl13.73 lfl13.74 lfl13.75

We were up early on Sunday and back on the road early after a quick breakfast at the hotel. We were the first ones to reach the Tidewater resort in Panama City Beach. Our suite sleeps 14 but we only had 10 plus the six Evans’ so there was plenty of room for everyone. The remnants of Hurricane Karen were still in the area with constant showers, which put a damper on the outdoor events. However, we just went to the hotel bar, Liza’s, and ran it out of draft beer and two other canned beers (this is the end of the season for several establishments) before we had to get busy again. The boys played football out on the beach, which had been cleared of chairs due to the impending storm. The ladies went shopping for groceries. Chad & I grabbed Mellow Mushroom pizzas and Bryan took the kids to the beach. We got back, ate and had a porch time with some Sailor and some really good cigars! We found a great radio station on the jam box we brought and highly recommend it if in the PCB area – WRBA – Classic Rock 95.9. They really rocked while we were there, creating an excellent soundtrack for our time at the beach, in the car or in the condo. What a way to end the week…and begin our time back at the Gulf of Mexico…

fbv13.1 fbv13.2 fbv13.3 fbv13.4 fbv13.5 fbv13.6 fbv13.7 fbv13.7a fbv13.8 fbv13.9 fbv13.9a fbv13.10 fbv13.11 fbv13.12

On Monday, the ladies had spa time, doing whatever it is girls do at a spa. I know Ann got a facial, but I have no idea what that even means, though it sounds naughty… Meanwhile, Chad was sick in bed all day which left Bryan and I with 10 kids in the ocean! It was tough, but we managed to keep tabs on all of them and still manage to drink a case of beer. We got lots of sun that day; in fact I was burned so badly from the intense sun that I would be unable to get back in the sun the rest of the week. The waves were awesome, leftovers from Tropical Storm Karen, which had been downgraded to tropical depression, meaning once the rain moved out we had nothing but sunshine all week! We rode the boogie boards and had a great time! We had a late dinner of lasagna that evening, but again ended it with some quiet porch time after playing a couple games of euchre.
On Tuesday, we tried to go to the pool, but the kids were sissies and couldn’t stay in the water. I couldn’t deal with the sun, so I spent the day up in the room but once the sun went down, we ended up back on the beach and in the ocean. We tried to get in the hot tubs but our sunburns prevented us from staying long. We cooked out burgers and hot dogs, having more fun in the grill area than anywhere else all day. Bryan and I walked to the grocery store after a few Petron shots. The store looked a hell of a lot closer from the condo! We almost had to have Ann come pick us up, but we managed somehow. On the way back, we walked through the drive through liquor store, getting something to keep us hydrated as well as a bag of jell-o shots! We drank and smoked cigars and met new friends at the grills. Ann took the kids crabbing that evening, down on the beach.

fbv13.13 fbv13.56 fbv13.57 fbv13.58 fbv13.59 fbv13.60 fbv13.61 fbv13.62 fbv13.63 fbv13.64 fbv13.65 fbv13.66 fbv13.67 fbv13.68 fbv13.69 fbv13.70 fbv13.71 fbv13.72 fbv13.73 fbv13.74 fbv13.75 fbv13.76 fbv13.77 fbv13.78 fbv13.79 fbv13.80 fbv13.81 fbv13.82 fbv13.83 fbv13.84 fbv13.14 fbv13.15 fbv13.16 fbv13.17 fbv13.18 fbv13.19 fbv13.20 fbv13.21 fbv13.22 fbv13.23 fbv13.24 fbv13.85 fbv13.86 fbv13.87 fbv13.88 fbv13.89 fbv13.90 fbv13.91 fbv13.92 fbv13.93 fbv13.94 fbv13.95 fbv13.96 fbv13.97 fbv13.98 fbv13.99 fbv13.100 fbv13.101 fbv13.102 fbv13.103 fbv13.104 fbv13.105 fbv13.106 fbv13.107 fbv13.108 fbv13.109 fbv13.110 fbv13.111 fbv13.112 fbv13.113 fbv13.114 fbv13.115 fbv13.116 fbv13.117 fbv13.118 fbv13.119 fbv13.120 fbv13.121 fbv13.122 fbv13.123 fbv13.124 fbv13.125 fbv13.126 fbv13.127 fbv13.128 fbv13.25 fbv13.26 fbv13.27 fbv13.28 fbv13.29 fbv13.30 fbv13.31 fbv13.32 fbv13.33 fbv13.34

On Wednesday, the boys went golfing at a very nice course called the Hombre. They had 27 total holes with 9 small courses, nicknamed the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Chad had us play the Bad 9 and the Ugly 9 holes. It was Bryan, Myles and I in a scramble verses Chad, who is a very good golfer. It started off cool and overcast and ended up hot, sunny and humid. We drank a case of beer out on the course and had a great time. It all came down to the 18th hole where we were all tied up. We ended up beating Chad by one stroke on the hole and took home bragging rites for the year! Meanwhile the girls took the kids to Wonderworks for the day to play. The boys came back and grilled out everything under the sun. We started with some snacks – garlic bread, meat chunks, shrimp (with some of the hottest dipping sauce I’ve ever had – made with Bryan’s Nasal Napalm!) before making potatoes, pork chops and huge steaks!! We again met lots of people and made new friends as we drank, smoked nice cigars and spent nearly two hours at the grills making dinner! We ended up going out to have some adult time that evening as Bryan and I took the girls out to a piano bar in Pier Park called Rum Runners for some social and drinking time (Chad pooped out again). Jean had a little too good of time and needed some extra TLC. …Ann and I danced to our wedding song and everyone had a great time.

fbv13.129 fbv13.130 fbv13.131 fbv13.132 fbv13.133 fbv13.134 fbv13.135 fbv13.136 fbv13.137 fbv13.140 fbv13.141 fbv13.142 fbv13.143 fbv13.144 fbv13.145 fbv13.146 fbv13.148 fbv13.149 fbv13.150 fbv13.151 fbv13.152 fbv13.153 fbv13.154 fbv13.155 fbv13.156 fbv13.157 fbv13.158 fbv13.159 fbv13.160 fbv13.161 fbv13.162 fbv13.163 fbv13.164 fbv13.165 fbv13.166 fbv13.167 fbv13.168 fbv13.169 fbv13.170 fbv13.171 fbv13.172 fbv13.173 fbv13.174 fbv13.175 fbv13.176 fbv13.177 fbv13.178 fbv13.179 fbv13.180 fbv13.181 fbv13.182 fbv13.183 fbv13.184 fbv13.185 fbv13.186 fbv13.187 fbv13.188 fbv13.189 fbv13.190 fbv13.191 fbv13.192 fbv13.193 fbv13.194 fbv13.195 fbv13.196 fbv13.197 fbv13.198 fbv13.199 fbv13.200 fbv13.201 fbv13.202 fbv13.203 fbv13.204 fbv13.205 fbv13.206 fbv13.207 fbv13.208 fbv13.209 fbv13.210 fbv13.211 fbv13.212 fbv13.213 fbv13.214 fbv13.215 fbv13.216 fbv13.217 fbvg13.1 fbvg13.2 fbvg13.3 fbvg13.4 fbvg13.5 fbvg13.6 fbvg13.7 fbvg13.8 fbvg13.9 fbvg13.10 fbvg13.11 fbvg13.12 fbvg13.13 fbvg13.14 fbvg13.15 fbvg13.16 fbvg13.17 fbvg13.18 lbv13.33 fbv13.35 fbv13.36 fbv13.37 fbv13.38 fbv13.39 fbv13.40 fbv13.41 fbvg13.19 fbvg13.20 fbvg13.21 fbvg13.22 fbvg13.23 fbvg13.24 fbvg13.25 fbvg13.26 fbvg13.27 fbvg13.28 fbvg13.29 fbvg13.30 fbvg13.31 fbvg13.32 fbvg13.33 fbvg13.34 fbvg13.35 fbvg13.36 fbvg13.37 fbvg13.38 fbvg13.39 fbvg13.40 fbvg13.41 fbvg13.42 fbvg13.43 fbvg13.44 fbvg13.45 fbvg13.46 fbvg13.47 fbvg13.48 fbvg13.49 fbvg13.50 fbv13.42 fbv13.43 fbvg13.51 fbvg13.52 fbvg13.53 fbvg13.54 fbvg13.55 fbvg13.56

On Thursday, the kids and Ann hit the beach one last time and dug up a bunch more crabs and other crustaceans. I packed up everything and got all our stuff ready to go. Miles and Wesley went parasailing, which looked really fun! After a quick beverage with Bryan on the beach, Ann & I took Abby, Luke and Drew to lunch at Pineapple Willy’s where I had to have just one house drink with my fish po’boy. Afterwards, we got the car all loaded up went down to Pier Park with our whole gang under the pier on the beach for family pictures. The Evans’ kids were starting to get sick but we still managed to take a ton of pictures and several of them came out really good! We ended up down at Spinnaker’s for dinner, sans the Evans crew due to not feeling well. It was one place that Ann & I had not eaten at yet down there but had wanted to for years. It was very good but they were pretty slow. They did have an amazing view of the sunset from our table though… Afterwards we said our good-byes and headed back home. We drove straight home but since we were both worn out from the whirlwind vacation, we took turns driving every few hours, making several stops – including breakfast at Cracker Barrel…

fbv13.218 fbv13.219 fbv13.220 fbv13.221 fbv13.222 fbv13.223 fbv13.224 fbv13.225 fbv13.226 fbv13.44 fbv13.45 fbv13.46 fbv13.47 fbv13.48 fbv13.49 fbv13.50 fbv13.51 fbv13.52 fbv13.53 fbv13.54 fbvl13.1 fbvl13.2 fbvl13.3 fbvl13.4 fbvp13.1 fbvp13.2 fbvp13.3 fbvp13.4 fbvp13.5 fbvp13.6 fbvp13.7 fbvp13.8 fbvp13.9 fbvp13.10 fbvp13.11 fbvp13.12 fbvp13.13 fbvp13.16 fbvp13.17 fbvp13.18 fbvp13.19 fbvp13.20 fbvp13.21 fbvp13.22 fbvp13.23 fbvp13.24 fbvp13.25 fbvp13.26 fbvp13.27 fbvp13.28 fbvp13.29 fbvp13.30 fbvp13.31 fbvp13.32 fbvp13.33 fbvp13.34 fbvp13.35 fbvp13.36 fbvp13.37 fbvp13.38 fbvp13.39 fbvp13.40 fbvp13.41 fbvp13.42 fbvp13.43 fbvp13.44 fbvp13.45 fbvp13.46 fbvp13.47 fbvp13.48 fbvp13.49 fbvp13.50 fbvp13.51 fbvp13.52 fbvp13.53 fbvp13.54 fbvp13.55 fbvp13.56 fbvp13.57 fbvp13.58 fbvp13.59 fbv1p13.60 fbvp13.60 fbvp13.61 fbvp13.62 fbvp13.63 fbvp13.64 fbvp13.65 fbvp13.66 fbvp13.67 fbvp13.68 fbvp13.69 fbvp13.70 fbvp13.71 fbvl13.x fbvl13.x2 fbvl13.x3 fbvl13.x4 fbvl13.x5 fbvl13.x6 fbvl13.x7 fbvl13.x8 fbvl13.x9 fbvl13.x10 fbvl13.x11

We got home on Friday morning, got the car unpacked and returned the Charger to Columbus. When we got back, we got everything unpacked and I headed out to mow our lawns. We apparently received 3-4” of precipitation while we were down south. Mom & Gigi’s lawn looks great and is full and green again. Our backyard was nearly a jungle – thank God for the two 5 hour energy’s I downed earlier! I finished up, got cleaned up and we were back on the road again. This time, we were on our way to East Central. The last time we went there for a varsity game was two years ago with Mom & Dad B and had a tire blow out on the highway! This time, the car was fine…it was MATT who had the blow-out. Ann’s good friend Stacy and her family (her daughter Darby is Matt’s age) came down to watch Matt’s game and spend the night. As usual, Matt started at OT & DT. The Pirates jumped out to a big lead at 20-0, running many time behind Matt & Jake on the left side. The whole offensive line was dominant that first quarter. Defensively, Matt had already recorded 3 tackles in the 1st quarter and had his own little cheering section. :0) …Then the unthinkable happened… He was on the week side and there was a screen to the strong side. He hustled over to make a play and caught the runner in the open field. While planting to make the tackle, the runner switched directions. As Matt responded, his left foot stayed planted but the rest of his body and that of the runner went another. Although he recorded his fourth tackle, it may turn out to be his last. He laid on the ground for what seemed a half hour, being checked out by the team doctors and coaches. The reality of what just occurred started to creep in. As his teammates helped him to the sideline, the doctors continued to work on him and I eventually made my way down to figure out what was going on. The EC physician said his immediate thought was that Matt had torn both his MCL and ACL in the left knee. His knee quickly began swelling. By the time he got back to the high school, he couldn’t bend it enough to drive, much less get in to the Pacifica. We met up with Stacy and family out at Buffalo Wings & Rings for dinner before saying our good-byes and coming home and absolutely dying in the bed… We are absolutely sick about Matt’s knee injury. He has worked so hard and come such a long way to excel during his senior year…and up until this point, he had progressively gotten better and better. Matt’s sacrifice wasn’t for nothing. Although the team went in to a slump after his exit (they essentially lost two starters), they eventually got their momentum back and won for the first time in 23 years against the East Central Trojans, 34-20!

mfec13.1 mfec13.2 mfec13.3 mfec13.4 mfec13.5 mfec13.6 mfec13.7 mfec13.8 mfec13.9 mfec13.10 mfec13.11 mfec13.12 mfec13.13 mfec13.14 mfec13.15 mfec13.16 mfec13.17 mfec13.18 mfec13.19 mfec13.20 mfec13.21 mfec13.22 mfec13.23 mfec13.24 mfec13.25 mfec13.26 mfec13.27

On Saturday morning, Ann ran Matt over to Columbus to attempt to get an MRI on the knee, but it was even more severely swollen so they sent them home with instructions to ice it, medicate it and perform stretches…but above all – stay off of it. Meanwhile, Luke & I went to Batesville for his football game vs. our rivals from the next county over. Paul & Dayla live there as well and he coaches on both their boys’ team. We went over early to catch Conner’s team, which beat Greensburg by 2 points. We also stayed late afterwards to watch Cayden’s team also top the Pirates. In between was our game. We came out with the ball and went right down the field and scored on the first play of the game! Luke missed the PAT. In a lapse of better judgment, I was convinced to blitz everyone…which was disastrous. They scored on a long run and got the PAT, taking the lead. I pulled Bryan aside and told him that if he could get the lead back, he would only need to score once since we would not be letting the Bulldogs score again. I met with my defense and apologized for letting them down. I told them they scored on me, not on them…and challenged them to maintain their shutout. They did not let me down. We proceeded to kick their butts up and down the field. The defense was outstanding. I believe we held them to negative yardage in the second half. Luke played a good game. He had to fill in at center since our normal starter was gone on vacation. He has so much potential on the offensive line…but he loathes it. I can’t blame him, I hated it as well. He played well at defensive end, recording a few tackles early and about midway through the 2nd quarter they finally stopped running towards him! We won going away, 24-8, dominating the line of scrimmage. We went out with the Drakes and Dayla’s parents to LaRosa’s for lunch and then back to their house for a few hours. The boys were so good, we could hardly believe it! It was good to spend time with them and catch up on our lives. We need to spend more time with those good folks.

lfbb13.1 lfbb13.2 lfbb13.3 lfbb13.4 lfbb13.5 lfbb13.6 lfbb13.7

We slept in on Sunday. We did our weekly chores around the house and watched football… and it was Sunday Night Football and it featured a big game – Cowboys vs. Redskins…and the Cowboys won!! Other than that, we focused on taking it easy for once and enjoyed doing…nothing at all.
Monday came way too soon. We slunk in to work, still in denial about everything – vacation was over; Matt’s high school football career was most likely over and his wrestling season was in dire jeopardy… He still went to both morning and evening sessions of practice. Luke also returned to football practice for the first time in nearly two weeks. The team looked a little rusty so Bryan ran them quite a bit to help them get back in to shape. Abby and Ann went to Baker’s game at South. Ann and his Mom have really hit it off. It is funny just how similar our lives are. I don’t think they made it back in time for jazz dance. Luke and I went out to Bryan & Angie’s house to watch Monday Night Football, which featured our beloved Indy Colts. They looked terrible and lost by 10 points.
It rained on and off pretty much all day on Tuesday. With it, brought a change in temperatures. It got colder and colder as the day went off. I’m afraid my days of wearing shorts may be drawing to an end. Matt again had football practice, as did Luke. We worked on blocking most of practice. I spoke with Matt’s head coach, who was out at North Park overseeing the youth program and picking up his boys. Coach Moore and I talked about his situation. He made a very nice comment about Matt, stating he was still the same kid – same attitude, temperament, etc – even with his injury. I agree…if anyone can come back from something like this, it is Matthew. It was popcorn night, which is usually a really good thing. However, we are out of Fireworks popcorn, so it was just good. 😉
It was noticeably cooler on Wednesday. Matt rode to Columbus with Ann and in the late morning, finally had his MRI. He did everything he was supposed to and the swelling really came down. The trainer said the left knee was only 2 cm larger than the right – what a difference! He had to sit still for 45 minutes and suffered a bit of atrophy in the calf as it was uncomfortable all night for him. I met up with them afterwards at Jonny Carino’s Italian restaurant for lunch. He was funny as he had a couple pain pills in him. Ann ended up working from home that afternoon and I got a call that one of our outlets was sparking and popping a breaker in the living room. When I got home, Luke and I took it apart and discovered it was in 5 pieces – never a good thing. Thank God it didn’t start a fire. Dad and Rob would’ve been proud to learn that we went and got another device and installed it ourselves without issue. Yeah! It was taco night, so everyone was happy – unlike last night when it seemed Ann pissed off everyone she came in contact with! Lots of more social media pictures this week: classic photos of Bu & Megan in about 2002; Abby with Hannah; Abby; Abby with Brooke; Brayden’s birthday with Gavin; Katie & Jake on vacation in Cali and with kids in park; Lindsay’s parties with Kimmy, Steph, Kathy, June and Haley; a big week for Ryan (John & June’s grandson thru Barney) & Carly – Emmitt’s first birthday and an engagement!; Dena Marie with friend; Tammy; Aunt Brenda with Wendy & Bethany; and then with Steve & Gary; Bryan & Angie in PCB; Philip cutting prepping some more beef jerky; Brayton, Mike and little Brody at Brayton’s football game – he got to do the coin toss before the game; Cowboys vs. Redskins on MNF!; Metallica’s movie premier in Europe; Rush’s latest tour is ending; Grace Potter & The Nocturnals’ latest tour is also ending; Pixie; Robert Plant mentioned in a recent interview that he had found some new audio nuggets in the vaults – can’t wait to hear those!; the Williams’ pictures at the Pier in PCB; and Matt’s supporters in his darkest times – one of the girls next door, Makayla, dressed up with other seniors in super hero attire for Senior Night…and supporting her favorite senior pirate football player. 😉

fbi13.10.24 fbi13.10.25 fbi13.10.26 fbi13.10.27 fbi13.10.28 fbi13.10.29 fbi13.10.30 fbi13.10.31 fbi13.10.32 fbi13.10.33 fbi13.10.34 fbi13.10.35 fbi13.10.36 fbi13.10.37 fbi13.10.38 fbi13.10.39 fbi13.10.40 fbi13.10.41 fbi13.10.42 fbi13.10.43 fbi13.10.44 fbi13.10.45 fbi13.10.46 fbi13.10.47 fbi13.10.48 fbi13.10.49 fbi13.10.50 fbi13.10.51 fbi13.10.52 fbi13.10.53 fbi13.10.54 fbi13.10.55 fbi13.10.56 fbi13.10.57 fbi13.10.58 fbi13.10.59 fbi13.10.60 fbi13.10.61 fbi13.10.62 fbi13.10.63 fbi13.10.64 fbi13.10.65 fbi13.10.66 fbi13.10.67 fbi13.10.68 fbi13.10.69 fbi13.10.70 fbi13.10.71 fbi13.10.72 fbi13.10.73 fbi13.10.74

Brrr! Thursday morning was downright cold, starting of in the upper 30s! Matt had two football practices and Luke had practice as well. We received the results of Matt’s MRI. He has a torn meniscus, torn MCL and torn ACL. He is in a bad way. Matt of course has a huge heart and wants to come back for both football and wrestling…which of course I understand. His parents, however, feel like he should have it done right away.
Friday was a day that we hoped would never come, but knew it was inevitable. It was Senior Night at Shriver Field, meaning it was Matt’s last home game…although that’s not entirely true as they will play the first game of the Sectionals vs. Indy Marshall next Friday night. It was very hard to watch him on the sidelines, not dressed. If memory serves me correctly, this was the first football game where he didn’t at least dress.  All the seniors and parents were introduced before the game. Luke took video for me…well he tried anyhow. Gigi got some great pictures of everyone. Matt still led the team chant to get them fired up under goal post before the game, which was cool. It was good to see him come across that field one more time as well. The team was obviously missing two starters (Matt and Matt!!) and you could tell. We became predictable on offense by running right instead of both ways and defensively, they were keying in the vacated side of the d-line. We came back out at halftime with zero momentum and a group of referees that were acting biased towards the visiting team. Matt was present in warm-ups, walking in and out of the lines, shouting encouragement and then on the sidelines, he was much more engaged, shouting and yelling. The same could be true for me in the stands. I was also quiet as I came to grips with Matt not playing and probably feeling sorry for Matt and myself. In the 2nd half, it was another football game and it was time win. The coaches made some nice halftime adjustments and came out firing on all cylinders. The Pirates came roaring back and held on to clip the Lions 28-26. After the game, Matt got to lead the team in handshakes and then was of course the last one to come off the field. The cheerleaders and other kids had formed a tunnel for the team and although it was a few minutes since the last player had passed, they still kept it formed for Matt who hobbled through it and the crowd erupted as he came through, obviously a fan favorite. We heard the same roar for Matt when he was announced during Senior Night festivities. He received the largest cheer of the night, which meant a lot to him; I know. We ended up at the new Mancino’s for dinner afterward. Matt joined us for a while and then went across the room to be with his senior friends, who had gathered at the big table in the back. Matt has to come to grips that this season is over and that if he wants to play on Saturdays at the next level; we have to get this surgery done as soon as his body is able to accept it. Yes, he has overcome so much, but that road is beginning again for him. He has the heart to do it and I have no doubt he will be stronger because of it.
Saturday was our day off. We got our weekly chores done around the house. We had hoped to also do some mowing, but it was far too wet to do that and when it eventually stopped, we were too lazy by that point to get motivated. I got caught up on my DVR’ed shows and watched some football and racing. Purdue & IU both lost but Ball State won. There were several wrecks in the truck race at Talladega – can’t wait to see how the cup race goes on Sunday! We talked to Grandpa Bryan for a while and went out to dinner at El Chile Poblano. We got some ice cream and came home and watched the new Lone Ranger movie with Johnny Depp. Meanwhile Ann went scrapbooking early and then travelled to Franklin to see her college buddies, Stacey & Paul at the Willard.
Sunday was Luke’s final game of the regular season. We faced another one of the four East Central feeder programs – South Dearborn. We will have pictures, video and descriptions of the game next week. However, this entry is quite long enough for now…and so we will wrap it up and publish it from here…

mfr13.1 mfr13.2 mfr13.3 mfr13.4 mfr13.5 mfr13.6 mfr13.7 mfr13.8 mfr13.9 mfr13.10 mfr13.11 mfr13.12 mfr13.13 mfr13.14 mfr13.15 mfr13.16 mfr13.17 mfr13.18 mfr13.19 mfr13.20 mfr13.21 mfr13.22 mfr13.23 mfr13.24 mfr13.25 mfr13.26 mfr13.27 mfr13.28 mfr13.29 mfr13.30 mfr13.31 mfr13.32 mfr13.33 mfr13.34 mfr13.35 mfr13.36 mfr13.37 mfr13.38 mfr13.39 mfr13.40 mfr13.41 mfr13.42 mfr13.43 mfr13.44 mfr13.45 mfr13.46 mfr13.47 mfr13.48 mfr13.49 mfr13.50 mfr13.51 mfr13.52 mfr13.53 mfr13.54 mfr13.55 mfr13.56 mfr13.57 mfr13.58 mfr13.59 mfr13.60 mfr13.61 mfr13.62 mfr13.63 mfr13.64 mfr13.65 mfr13.66 mfr13.67 mfr13.68 mfr13.69 mfr13.70 mfr13.71 mfr13.72 mfr13.73 mfr13.74 mfr13.75 mfr13.76 mfr13.77 mfr13.78 mfr13.79 mfr13.80 mfr13.81 mfr13.82 mfr13.83 mfr13.84 mfr13.85 mfr13.86 mfr13.87 mfr13.88 mfr13.89 mfr13.90 mfr13.91 mfr13.92 mfr13.93 mfr13.94 mfr13.95 mfr13.96 mfr13.97 mfr13.98 mfr13.99 mfr13.100 mfr13.103 mfr13.104 mfr13.105 mfr13.106 mfr13.107 mfr13.108 mfr13.109 mfr13.110 mfr13.111 mfr13.112 mfr13.113 mfr13.114 mfr13.115 mfr13.116 mfr13.117 mfr13.118 mfr13.119 mfr13.120 mfr13.121 mfr13.122 mfr13.123 mfr13.124 mfr13.125 mfr13.126 mfr13.127 mfr13.128

Next up is our video section. It contains 10 new family videos and a few from around the internet this week.


Next up is our Shit that Luke Says section. OK, so Luke Googled, “Where babies come from.” Afterwards he comes to Ann and says, “Please tell me you and Dad did NOT do that…that is DISGUSTING!!” :0)

Finally, we our favorite section – the Waybac machine… Leading off this week, we have a couple of old Brown family photos from March of 1944 – including Aunt Marilou as a snow angel and then the rear end of the family car; then Mom and family at the Stone Quarry in about 1953; Mom and friend (Aunt Midge’s daughter?) in July of 1956; the Morgan farm and then Great Grandpa & Grandma Morgan in September of 1956; Grandpaw Brown in the newspaper and then with Aunt Midge at the summer cottage – all in September of 1958; Grandpaw Brown with his Mom in April of 1960; one of the Hellmich boys in 1962; Robby in April of 1981 on Grandmaw & Grandpaw’s kitchen floor; Deanna’s dance picture in 1981; Ann & Amy at King’s Island in about 1984; Grandmaw & Grandpaw’s 40th anniversary in August of 1986 (classic shots of several family members in these, including Mom & Dad B, Grandmaw & Grandpaw (of course), Aunt Dorothy & Uncle Timmie, Aunt Norma & Uncle Ralph and Aunt Marilou and Uncle Kenny); Mom, Dad, Rob & Grandpaw at Christmas in LaPorte in 1987; and Dad B on Christmas morning of ’87; Ann with her Tri Delt sorority sisters in October of 1988; Ann’s good friend Stacy in 1990; Dave & Jenny’s wedding in LaPorte in 1991; An with Stacy and friends at King’s Island in 1992; Ann’s first Mother’s Day card in 1997; an old Cots game ticket in 2000; me in our new kitchen in July of 2002; Matt with his baby sister in December 2006; George & Sue at Week 19 in may of 2007 and finally Abby’s 1st place ribbon from Science Fair in 2009.

Waybac.1944.03.05.mlb2 Waybac.1944.03.05.sri1 Waybac.1953.mv1 Waybac.1953.mv2 Waybac.1956.07.mwf1 Waybac.1956.07.mwf2 Waybac.1956.09.mfp2 Waybac.1956.09.mfp3 Waybac.1958.09.25.gin1 Waybac.1958.09.26.gin1 Waybac.1958.09.rbamv1 Waybac.1960.04.ggbgb1 Waybac.1962.dhig1 Waybac.1981.04.19.eil1 Waybac.1981.04.19.el2 Waybac.1981.ddp1 Waybac.1984.aaaki1 Waybac.1984.aaaki2 Waybac.1986.08.ggba12 Waybac.1986.08.ggba13 Waybac.1986.08.ggba16 Waybac.1987.12.cilp5 Waybac.1987.12.cilp8 Waybac.1988.10.atdpr1 Waybac.1990.sdtfdb1 Waybac.1991.dajwilp1 Waybac.1992.aspki3 Waybac.1992.aspki4 Waybac.1997.05.afmdc1 Waybac.1997.05.afmdc2 Waybac.2000.crcad1 Waybac.2002.07.foj10 Waybac.2002.12.amc2 Waybac.2004.03.rpbo1 Waybac.2006.12.25.cdig45 Waybac.2007.05.15.wn44 Waybac.2009.asca

And that does it for this week’s edition of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up to you next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply