It Really Makes Life a Drag…

Hello and welcome to another edition of the Scheu Family Blog. We carried on and found a way to live life without Uncle Dan now as well as Mom. Ann returned to FLA with her gals from work. And the kids continued full tilt with their spring sports and I did my best to get them where they need to be! The Reds continued to play 500 ball; the Pacers made it to the Eastern Conference finals vs. the Heat and won game 1 and Jeff remained atop the leader standings at least one more week…

It was slow going on Monday morning as we headed back to school and work. Matt continues to work out and get bigger/stronger for collegiate sports. Abby had track practice and then dance pictures. Luke played basketball back here at the house before his baseball game. We faced the Rangers, which featured 3 or 4 of our all-star teammates. They beat us twice last year. This year, it was a different outcome. We did not pitch our best, walking far too many with several wild pitches/past balls. Also, we didn’t hit the ball well. We left approximately 10 runs on base. Luke started at 1st base, pitched 2 innings and finished up at 1st base. He went 2 – 2 from the plate with a triple (w/ 2-base error) and a single. He scored a run and stole a couple bases as well. He looked very fast on the bases as well as more comfortable in the lead-off slot in our batting order. He pitched the 2nd and 3rd innings, showing signs of brilliance but mostly just 10-year-old mischief. Bryan gets so frustrated at him and he just laughs until Bryan pulls him and then he’s in tears. He and Drew have some sort of secret code going on its fun to watch them having fun…we just wish they’d focus on the game at hand. He gave up his first, but it was an unearned run, so his ERA is still zero! I’ll have to check how many strikeouts, but I think he got 5 K’s. This was his first victory of the year as a pitcher, so his personal record is now 1-0 and the team’s record is 3-0. He had a big play at the plate where he tagged out a big guy trying to steal home and they held on to win 4-3! Afterwards, Ann packed for Florida. Abby went home to do homework and Luke, Drew & I went to Taco Bell. Matt went to Andy’s house for a few hours that night.

akfd14.5 lbtr14.1 lbtr14.2 lbtr14.3 lbtr14.4 lbtr14.5 lbtr14.6 lbtr14.7 lbtr14.8 lbtr14.9 lbtr14.10 lbtr14.11 lbtr14.12 lbtr14.13 lbtr14.14 lbtr14.15 lbtr14.16 lbtr14.17 lbtr14.18 lbtr14.19 lbtr14.20 lbtr14.21 lbtr14.22 lbtr14.23 lbtr14.24 lbtr14.25 lbtr14.26 lbtr14.27 lbtr14.28 lbtr14.29 lbtr14.30

Abby was up early for Pirateers tryouts. She was very excited to try out for a high school “sport.” As an award-winning dancer, she should be just fine in this competition. During the day, I packed up the big van for Ann and the girls and sent them on their way south to the beach for the week. It rained for about a half hour in the late afternoon. Luke had all-star baseball practice that evening at Koehler for a couple hours. Matt continued weight lifting and even made it to wrestling practice. …And Abby had her final track meet, which was the season-ending Sunman-Dearborn Invitational. She travelled as an alternative and was gone until late that night. I ended up falling asleep and Matt picked up Luke and got drive thru for dinner. Later, we lost power as an apparent transformer blew during a nasty thunderstorm. The power was off for about 6 hours. Thankfully it wasn’t too humid and the sound of the falling rain put me right to sleep…
Wednesday was a lousy day. It rained from the moment I got up until the time I went to bed. I was supposed to attend “Day at the Track” with my boss, Kevin, at IMS. However, Mother Nature had other ideas. Also wiped away was Abby’s softball practice as well as Luke & I’s baseball game. However, all was not lost. Bryan called and said that he had a private trainer working out Drew and asked if Luke could also attend. It was very cool for him to invite Luke over and he learned a lot. In fact, I saw improvements in both Luke & Drew’s batting skills. I asked Bryan and he said they both learned more about pitching…and at this age, the boys are already very good. Matt went out to his buddies’ house to play euchre (reminds me of myself at his age). Abby & I watched the 500th episode of American Idol. My fave, Caleb, had a shot voice due to a pulled vocal chord. Although he had a few rough moments, his final performance of 3 was a cover of Zeppelin’s Dazed & Confused…and wow!! I just hope he has enough for next week!! I slept good that night. We have a few new social media pictures to share this week, including Abby’s Mom post of Ann; Matt and his tongue; Sharon & Dan in FL last year about this time; Barney at another Cubs game; Phyllis & Dick x 2; Abby track pictures; Ann pool pix from FL; Aunt Sally; the Nobles; Week 19 lovelies; and a special Ozzy concert (shown with Slash) that featured an all-acoustic set by Metallica at the MusiCares MAP Fund Benefit show.

smp14.05.28 smp14.05.29 smp14.05.30 smp14.05.31 smp14.05.32 smp14.05.33 smp14.05.34 smp14.05.35 smp14.05.36 smp14.05.37 smp14.05.38 smp14.05.39 smp14.05.40 smp14.05.41 smp14.05.42 smp14.05.43

It was much cooler on Thursday. I woke up to the panicking voice of Abby screaming, Dad! It’s 20 till 6!!” Damn; forgot to set an alarm for Abby to get up early and go to her Pirateers tryouts. Yet somehow, I pulled up to the school with both of us “ready” (brushed teeth, deodorant, washed hair, etc) for the day at 8 till 6. I dropped her off and drove over to work to get there early (6:30) to begin prepping for our annual Omelet Day during Hospital Week. My work buddies Dennis & Philip worked hard with me to make 48 omelets from 7 to 9…well a little after 9. It rained frequently again today – hell it felt like it could snow!! The high was 50 but it was in the low 40s all day. I had a decent doctor appointment that afternoon but he said I was too fat and needed to exercise. Now I just need the self-motivation! Abby had more dance pictures that night and Luke played outdoors while I watched TV and Matt played Joel on the Xbox. We are starting to get high school graduation cards. There are lots of neat designs, including Darby, Andy, Brad, Jake and Erin – among others.

tod14.1 tod14.2 hsgpi14.1 hsgpi14.2 hsgpi14.3 hsgpi14.4 hsgpi14.5 hsgpi14.6 hsgpi14.7 hsgpi14.8

It was downright cold on Friday. There was sleet and hail in the county, though we didn’t see any in Columbus thankfully. We had our annual smoke alarm system testing at work, which made things hectic, esp. while I was teaching 1st Aid class with the horns & strobes going off. I rushed home afterwards and picked up Abby from the high school where she was at the final try out session for Pirateers dance team. She was competing with sophomores, juniors and seniors. She did not have a very good feeling about her performance but carried on anyhow. We came home and before long, her fellow Pirateer-to-be, Kama, joined us and the girls started quickly primping for their Spring Formal dance. They were lovely and I felt bad taking them in the pickup with all my yard tools loaded up in the back. After dropping them off at the junior high, I went to Memaw & Gigi’s house for dinner. It was very good and the only homemade meal we had all week. Matt joined me late. After catching up with him, I went outside and mowed the lawn. I picked up Bu from the dance and brought her over for dinner as I finished the yard. She was the last one to leave, as she and her fellow Student Council members put on the evening’s event. It was so cold and it was getting dark, so I finished up mowing and skipped trimming. I did fertilize both yards. Luke, who had gone with Drew & Angie to the ball diamonds, came back after finishing up with them and had dinner. Matt took off without me know it, Luke rode with me and Abby came home with Gigi & Memaw who ended up at the radio station. By the time we got home, it was pitch black. But I knew we would be doing a baseball tourney all weekend, so I went ahead and mowed by moonlight and street lamp. As with Mom & Sandy’s lawn, I bypassed the trimming but did fertilize the yard. I’ll have to get Luke to mow the backyard on Sunday afternoon.

akfd14.1 akfd14.2 akfd14.3 akfd14.4 akfd14.5 akfd14.6 akfd14.7 akfd14.8 akfd14.9

We were up fairly early on Saturday. It was the best night of sleep that I can remember in the past couple months. I ran Abby out to see the list of names that had made the Pirateers lineup. Despite her worst fears, she made the team! In fact, she later received a phone call saying she had earned the 3rd highest score of all contestants. She was one of only 2 8th graders (freshmen next year…OMG did I just say that?!) to make the team! Way to go, Bu!! I came home and dropped her off. She would later meet up with her bestie, Megan. Megan lost her father to a successful suicide about a year or so ago. The two of them attended a suicide prevention walk that helped raise money and awareness. Maryann said it best last night, “Is there anything that girl doesn’t do?” Later that evening, I ran the girls out to the movie theater where they met up with friends and then we got ice cream afterwards. Megan spent the night with Abby. Matt took it easy most of the day, went to Golden Corral with his buddies and then had them over to play Xbox. Meanwhile, Drew got dropped off at our house and headed down south with Luke & I to North Vernon to play in the annual Panther Spring Classic Baseball tourney. We got stomped two years ago, playing U8 with a bunch of travel teams. This year, we returned and although the scores don’t reflect it, we held our own. Again, there were mostly travel teams but we were in both games. First up, we faced Seymour. Drew was the starting pitcher and went three innings, giving up 4 runs with 5 strikeouts and no walks. It was his defense that let him down, more than anything. We made 5 errors that lead to the 4 runs. Luke played 1st base the whole game. Both he and Drew were 0-2 at the plate with strikeouts all around. We dropped that game, 1-6. We took a small lunch break and were back at it. This time, we played Brownstown. Again, this was a game we could’ve won. However, the bats still aren’t quite there. The pitching kept us in the game again. This team was sneaky, dirty and won by taking advantage of working the system. Anyhow, Luke played 1st base again and finally got a hit – a clean single to the grass in right field! Off the shnide!! He promptly stole three bases and scored a run! Drew also got himself his first hit with a similar shot in to right field. Both boys would strike out in their 2nd at-bat and Luke lined into a fielder’s choice to end the game. Luke did not pitch and was pulled the final two innings to let one of the other boys get some time on the field. Again, the pitchers did pretty good, giving up just 6 runs again. However we still lost, 4-6. I’m still waiting for Luke to get out of his funk and really break out. He should be absolutely murdering the ball right now…I can’t wait to see it. We grabbed some dinner and headed back in to town where the boys played baseball, basketball, kickball, rode bikes, played Xbox and stayed outta trouble. They got to bed after a late snack and got ready for the big day ahead. Ann sent a few pictures of her Florida trip.

apdtt14.1 ammt14.1 apcb14.1 apcb14.2 apcb14.3

It was more of the same on Sunday – except Ann came home in the middle of the night. It was good to have her home safely. Drew and Luke were already up. We headed down south to NV again. We played Seymour in the 1st game. Luke played 1st base the whole game. He had several putouts of course, but he also had a great double play where he caught the ball to get one out and quickly threw across to Drew, who was playing 3rd base and got a 2nd out! It was very exciting!! At the plate, he finally came out of his shell – rocking a ball to the gap in the outfield for a clean double. He got 2 RBI’s with the hit but would be stranded at 3rd. In his 2nd at-bat, he walked and was called out trying to steal 2nd (watch the video and see the pictures below- he was safe!). His 3rd at-bat would not be, as he was left in the on-deck circle as the boys lost 3-4. Guess he needed to be batting a little higher in the order… The boys looked better and actually played pretty good. Drew didn’t pitch as they were saving him for the next game against Bedford, the #1 seed. But it was not to be and we ended our day early. So we packed up and headed back home. Drew stayed with us and the boys played for hours outdoors with the neighbor kids – basketball, baseball, football, soccer/kickball, bikes – you name it!! Later Abby had softball and Drew went home. Luke & I worked on the backyard by mowing and trimming. I still need to apply fertilizer to our backyard to kill all the damn dandelions coming in from the open field behind the house. We came in and got showered and relaxed on the couches, falling asleep early.

lbpsc14.1 lbpsc14.2 lbpsc14.3 lbpsc14.4 lbpsc14.5 lbpsc14.6 lbpsc14.7 lbpsc14.8 lbpsc14.9 lbpsc14.10 lbpsc14.11 lbpsc14.12 lbpsc14.13 lbpsc14.14 lbpsc14.15 lbpsc14.16 lbpsc14.17 lbpsc14.18

Next up is our favorite part – the Waybac segment. We continue with the batch of photos that mainly focuses on the eras from 1975-1995. We lead off this week with a nice picture of Mom with her Grandpa Morgan in her family home in November 1978; Grandpaw & Aunt Lou Atha in her house in Nov. ’78; then me playing baseball in West Covina, CA in July of ’79; Schnapps on his chair and the lovely roses in Grandpaw’s backyard in August of ’78; Rob in Temple City, CA in January of 1980; Mom & Rob and then Rob & I with Grandmaw & Grandpaw during our first visit back to Lafayette in January of 1980; Rob & I back in Lafayette in April of 1980 after we had moved back to the Hoosier state; Rob in the Kenwood house in July of ’80; Grandmaw & Grandpaw in the same house in August of 1980 during their 34th anniversary; a great pictures of Robby & Katie during Thanksgiving at Vird & Belinda’s house (the old Bryan house after Mary passed away); Nathan in his kindergarten Indian costume in November of ’81; Justin Paul Bryan in October of ’82; Nathan w/ Justin in October of ’82; Rob at the Rockwood house at Christmas in ’83; and then Easter in ’84; Grandpaw & Grandmaw in July of ’84; Julie at Christmas of ’84; Rob at Aunt Marilou’s house in July of ’85; Aunt Norma & Kathy at a Morgan family reunion in August of ’85 at Christine Witt’s house; Rob getting Castle Greyskull for his birthday in ’85; with his new sled (we broke the other one going over jumps down the big hill at the Lion’s golf course) in Christmas of ’86; Rob & Dad catching and frying fish, circa ’87; Grandmaw’s visitation and funeral in September of ’88; Dad doing parasailing in May of ’01 during week 19; Christmas on Main St in Greensburg in 2002; newborn Luke in 2003; Abby on the Tigers team in 2003 and Dad with his boat in 2005.

Waybac.1978.11.19.ssb.ggm1 Waybac.1978.11.rbla.ah1 Waybac.1979.07.tbbp1 Waybac.1979.08.ggbh1 Waybac.1979.08.ggbh2 Waybac.1980.01.r3moic1 Waybac.1980.01.rfc4 Waybac.1980.01.rfc5 Waybac.1980.01.rfc6 Waybac.1980.01.rfc7 Waybac.1980.04.06.fvh7 Waybac.1980.07.rok1 Waybac.1980.08.31.gmgpbkh.34thAnn Waybac.1981.11.kbotdavab1 Waybac.1981.11.nkic1 Waybac.1982.10.jpb1 Waybac.1982.10.jpb2 Waybac.1983.12.cilp1 Waybac.1984.04.eilp1a Waybac.1984.07.10.gmgpb1 Waybac.1984.12.cilp1 Waybac.1985.07.28.raam1 Waybac.1985.08.11.mfr.naksacw1 Waybac.1985.10.27.r6bd1 Waybac.1986.12.cilp7 Waybac.1987.ff1 Waybac.1987.ff2 Waybac.1987.ff3 Waybac.1988.09.cjmf1 Waybac.1988.09.cjmf2 Waybac.2001.05.wn11 Waybac.2002.12.cig1b Waybac.2002.12.cig2b Waybac.2002.12.cig3 Waybac.2002.12.cig4 Waybac.2003.09.las1 Waybac.2003.ast1 Waybac.2005.bilm3

Our final segment features our videos. This time, we have three new family videos and a few from around the ‘net:

Well that does it for this week’s edition of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. I miss you, Mom…
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply