Do you know, just how I Feel…Sheeeeeer Heart Attack

I was on mandatory rest this week from the doctors due to my heart attack. So I pretty much stayed on the couch and watched comfort movies and sports all day this week – and just took it easy. Thank you to all our friends and family for all the kind words and encouragement.
On Monday, I was at home recovering. I had a visit from Mom & Gigi. Ann stayed home with me. We did our weekly household chores that didn’t get accomplished over the weekend. Luke had baseball that evening. I was allowed to attend with the understanding that I wouldn’t exert myself. I helped the team warm up, but took it very slow, easy & deliberate. We faced the Devil Rays, which are coached by Luke’s all-star coaches. I struggled to keep my emotions in check and eventually had to remove myself to the outfield so that I would stay calm. Luke batted lead off and went 3-3 with a pair of singles, a double and walk. He had a couple stolen bases and scored 2 runs. He also pitched 3 innings. He struggled badly. We had a 3-0 lead, thanks to Drew’s pitching and his homerun!! Luke came in during the 3rd inning and ended up walking in seven runs in the 4th inning. To be honest (and I’m trying really hard not to be biased), it really felt like Drew and Luke were being held to a different standard on their pitches than the opposing team’s pitchers were. Granted, I expect a lot out of our boys as well, but it really frustrated the boys and after all they are still just 10 years old. Luke was also called out trying to steal home. In the video (and pictures I culled from the video), you will see he was actually safe. If he calls him safe, we end up winning the game. Instead, the home ump called him out and we went extra innings and Luke/Drew walked home 9 more runs and we lost, 7-16. Like I said, we should’ve won 8-7. I wasn’t the only one complete frustrated by the umpire. I understand that mistakes and judgement calls are part of sports, but this made all of the kids and their families stay at the ball park until late, push back the game after us by an hour and kept us from clinching the league championship. With only one game left in the regular season, we need to be peaking not bottoming out and we are truly limping in to the tournament. Add to that the fact that we will have one of our better players gone during the tourney and our best days may be behind us. We went to the store afterwards for some fresh veggies and meat and the luck just continued – the van wouldn’t start. Thankfully Matt got us jumped and we hurried home. I put the van on the charger over night and so hopefully we won’t have any more issues with it. Ann made another a great homemade meal and we continue to learn to eat healthy and in less quantity. It’s hard, but I hope we get used to it soon…

lbdp14.10 lbdr14.1 lbdr14.2 lbdr14.3 lbdr14.4 lbdr14.5 lbdr14.6 lbdr14.7 lbdr14.8 lbdr14.9 lbdr14.10 lbdr14.11 lbdr14.12 lbdr14.13 lbdr14.14 lbdr14.15 lbdr14.16

On Tuesday, it was more movies and couch time as I continued to let my body heal from its weekend ordeal. I had a nice visit from Paul and the boys in the morning and took a long nap in the afternoon. Gma took Luke to an eye appointment and ran Abby out to Pirateers practice where they spent their time trying on clothes or something. Abby gave me some very sweet artwork for Father’s Day and she also got her track pictures. Although she is lovely in them, I couldn’t help but notice the quality was a little lacking this year. Ann again made a healthy meal taste good somehow. Although I’m not full, I am learning to live with it.

aap14.1 atp14.1 atp14.2 atp14.3 atp14.4 atp14.5

It was a hot on Wednesday, getting up in to the 90s with heavy humidity and storm warnings in the area. It was Paul McCartney’s 72nd birthday. Matt and Ann had to work. Luke & Abby did some work around the house while I watched comfort movies all day – I had a Star Wars marathon. I took a long nap in the afternoon and woke up just in time for Luke’s final regular season baseball game. It was against the Giants, who beat us in the last inning last time out. This time, Luke & Drew played some standout baseball. Drew threw 2 shutout innings. Luke threw three innings, striking out 7, walking 1 and giving up 1 hit and 2 unearned runs. From the plate, Drew was 2-2 and Luke was 1-1 with a sacrifice and legged out a single. He had 2 big RBI’s, stole a base and scored a run as we held on to win 3-2 in a fast-paced game that had some outstanding pitching on both sides. I didn’t want to get the kids hopes up, but I think we may have won the league with that victory, which brings us to 9-3 on the year. I was back on the field for this game and coaching. I kept it cool and didn’t get overly excited. I didn’t do any jumping or running. I didn’t do any yelling (though I did talk loudly a few times). Luke went out to Drew’s house for a few hours, Matt went over to Colton’s house for the evening and Ann went with Angie for their Girls Night Out. That left Abby & I to enjoy some peace and quiet… We got Matt’s graduation picture in the mail today and the kids were in the paper.

lbg14.1 lbg14.2 mgpp1.14.1 kin14.1 kin14.2 kin14.3

Thursday was more of the same. Abby did inside chores while Luke mowed the lawn and Matt went to work. The kids have been really great during this week, I have to admit. We did get a late start, sleeping in until about 10 am. This new diet is still hard to adjust to and I find myself hungry all the time. The kids have complained of the same thing (sorry guys). I got some bills paid and took naps while my Star Wars movie marathon continued. Gotta love comfort movies! I am ready to get back to work. My phone has been so active with reminders this week. It was to be a very, very busy week for me but now I will have to do some major catching up when I get back. I spoke to Bryan late in the day. He went to the tourney pairings meeting. It seems we did win the league – well tied for the league lead. Rather than having a 1 game playoff and deciding it on the field as it should be, they found a tie breaker a few levels down and because they ran the score up on people (where we would call off the dogs after getting up by more than 5), they scored more runs than we did over the course of the year and were granted the league title. I really feel bad for our boys. They had such an outstanding year and really deserved that trophy. That same team did the same damn thing to us two years ago when we tied them for the league and eventually beat them in the tourney. Now they get the bye and we have to face the Giants for the 3rd time in 10 days. We can’t do anything easy. So this is yet another obstacle we have to overcome. I just hate it that the same bunch of yokels continue to do things like this. The same thing used to happen to Matt when he was in the league as well. This is yet another example of why so many boys have decided not to play in the league any longer and have opted to create a couple travel teams. Such a shame too…I remember how competitive our league was up in Baseball Heaven – LaPorte – and I can see that it could be the same here, but there always seem to be jack-wads that take winning way too seriously at this level and ruin it for everyone. On top off all that, I guess one team completely fell apart and the remaining members will be distributed to other teams, which I also disagree with. Now we will have 13 players and will have to sit people – including our best players – because of these new kids. It would be different if everyone had 12 players like we do, but they don’t. We originally had 10 players and had 2 added where other teams have had kids either injured or quit and now only have 9 or 10. The extra players should go to them, not us. Again, just another way to make it difficult for the good guys to win…
After some overnight showers, it was warm and muggy again on Friday as Ann & Matt headed in to work. Mom came over and took Luke birthday shopping before Gracie came over for a while. She brought me an angel food cake for Luke & I to nibble on. Abby & I went for a walk. It felt good to get out but it was so humid that it zapped my energy quickly. We only did a couple of laps on our street before I’d had enough. Luke mowed the front yard for me and Abby kept up on the dishes, but we mostly took it easy and enjoyed another summer day. It did storm pretty heavily in the afternoon, which should help our mini-drought. Our poor blue spruce is starting to die. At least today we didn’t’ need to water it or the flowers today. Ann came home early and we started in on my paperwork for work. Matt worked late at Mesco while Ann made a great dinner. I have to hand it to her, she is really trying hard to help us change the way we eat. We have a few social media pictures to share this week, including a sweet one of Bu & I; Aunt Sue, my cousins David, Kimmy & Barney – and his daughter’s family; my cousin Angie; Jamie; the Hellmichs; Paul and his oldest; Pat & his lady; Allen and family; Doc Linville; Jimmy, Calvin and more dead celebrities: this time it was Casey Kasem & Tony Gwynn – two folks that had a large impact entertainment and sports in my childhood. Then we also all nine of the Cowboys’ draft picks are now officially signed this week; Mom & Dad w/ Rob & Sharon during an old Week 19; Matt with Joel at graduation; Kimmy, Chuck and their boys with Lindsay & Jack headed for another exotic vacation somewhere; Phi Delta Theta headquarters in Oxford, OH; and ol’ FC was in the house at Victory Field recently.

smp14.06.85 smp14.06.86 smp14.06.87 smp14.06.88 smp14.06.89 smp14.06.90 smp14.06.91 smp14.06.92 smp14.06.93 smp14.06.94 smp14.06.95 smp14.06.96 smp14.06.97 smp14.06.98 smp14.06.99 smp14.06.100 smp14.06.101 smp14.06.102 smp14.06.103 smp14.06.104 smp14.06.105 smp14.06.106 smp14.06.107 smp14.06.108 smp14.06.109 smp14.06.110 smp14.06.111

Matt had to work on Saturday. Ann went scrapbooking. Mom & Sandy went to the boat (well Mom went with Sandy). Thanks to Gigi for taking a few pictures while I was hospitalized, we have a few pictures to share of Luke playing against the Reds. Luke also took a cute picture of the dogs playing just before they went in to their “storm shelter” that Luke built the other night during the bad storms. Luke had Drew over to practice pitching and play for several hours. They played baseball, went for bike rides, rigged up a skateboard ride (don’t ask), lit off fireworks, whittled sticks from a big branch the storm knocked down from the tulip tree, built a fort and played video games. The boys never slowed down – wish I had that energy level still! The boys stayed up really late and Drew spent the night. Matt went out party hopping with his buddies all night (my, how I remember those days…well mostly anyhow!).

lbcr14.1 lbcr14.2 lbcr14.3 lbcr14.4 lbcr14.5 lbcr14.6 lbcr14.7 lbcr14.8 lam14.6.1 lad14.1 lad14.2 lad14.3 lad14.4 lad14.5

We celebrated Luke’s 11th birthday on Sunday, even though it falls in the middle of next week. This was his family party and he and Ann are planning a friend party for a coming weekend. First, though, the boys had to get everything picked up from the night before and then had all-star baseball practice out at the complex. They were supposed to play in a tourney out there this weekend, but they couldn’t get enough boys to play due to vacations. Thank goodness too – it was extremely hot and humid this weekend! The boys were happy to come back to the house early from practice. Memaw & Gigi were already there and Phyllis & Dick joined us soon thereafter. Mary Ewing made another delicious cake for us – this time with Lego blocks for Lukey! We sang to Luke in a nice format (not the death-march version) and had cake and ice cream. Luke got some money and a hat but loved his new Air Jordan basketball shoes! After everyone left, Bryan came over for awhile so I could nap. Ann made dinner and we watched the NASCAR road race and the FIFA soccer game with the US.

lbdp14.1 lbdp14.2 lbdp14.3 lbdp14.4 lbdp14.5 lbdp14.6 lbdp14.7 lbdp14.8 lbdp14.9 lbdp14.10 lbdp14.11 lbdp14.12 lbdp14.13 lbdp14.14 lbdp14.15 lbdp14.16 lbdp14.17 lbdp14.18 lbdp14.19 lbdp14.20 lbdp14.21 lbdp14.22 lbdp14.23 lbdp14.24 lbdp14.25 lbdp14.26 lbdp14.27 lbdp14.28 lbdp14.29 lbdp14.30 lbdp14.31 lbdp14.32 lbdp14.33 lbdp14.34 lbdp14.35 lbdp14.36 lbdp14.37 lbdp14.38 lbdp14.39 lbdp14.40 lbdp14.41

Next up is our Waybac section, which focuses heavily again from the eras 1978 through 1988 and a few beyond. We lead off this week with more Morgan family photos – Grandmaw Connie with her Mom & Dad and then Aunt Norma with them in September of 1978; then at Grandmaw’s house with a fantastic photo of Mom & I…well of Mom anyhow in November ’78; Mom, Dad & I a few days later, still visiting from Cali; Aunt Norma in her kitchen and Grandmaw Connie in her kitchen on Christmas Day in ’78; Mom pregnant in the tomato garden in Temple City in July of ’79; Grandpaw, Aunt Norma and Uncle Ralph in Attica in October of ’79; Rob’s baptism in Temple City with God Parents Ed & Sharlet and the priest, Mom & Dad in December ’79; Great Grandpa Morgan at his birthday party at Aunt Norma’s house in January 1980; Bryan family Christmas in Kokomo in January 1980; Rob on Kenwood St in July 1980; more from our Monticello vacation at Lake Schaeffer in August ’82: Vicki, Rob, Dad & I; Rob and Peanuts in August ’83; the Kenwood St. after the first face lift in September 1983; Rob, Dad & I with our friends on our birthdays in October of ’85; Rob and that damn bear in ’86; Lindsay & Haley Scheu, circa 1994; more of Baby Bu in January of ’03 (that’s the date on the pic, but I swear this was from a year earlier…); more Abby at her first Dixon Dance Revue in May 2004; Nate’s swearing-in ceremony in Kokomo with the big three: Virden, Sharon and Ron; and finally our little Bu with Rob & I on Christmas morning in 2005.

Waybac.1978.09.mfp2 Waybac.1978.09.mfp3 Waybac.1978.11.19.mtgpb5 Waybac.1978.11.23.til1 Waybac.1978.11.23.til2 Waybac.1978.12.25.cil2 Waybac.1978.12.25.cil3 Waybac.1979.07.ltat4 Waybac.1979.10.28.bam3 Waybac.1979.10.28.bam4 Waybac.1979.10.28.bam5 Waybac.1979.12.16.rebb6 Waybac.1979.12.16.rebb7 Waybac.1980.01.06.mfr5 Waybac.1980.01.bcik1 Waybac.1980.07.rok11 Waybac.1980.07.rok12 Waybac.1982.08.lsv4 Waybac.1982.08.lsv5 Waybac.1982.08.lsv6 Waybac.1983.08.19.p2 Waybac.1983.09.lpv1 Waybac.1983.09.lpv2 Waybac.1985.10.27.trb3 Waybac.1985.10.28.trb4 Waybac.1985.10.28.trb5 Waybac.1986.12.cilp12 Waybac.1986.12.cilp13 Waybac.1994.lahs1 Waybac.2003.01.aaa3 Waybac.2003.01.aaa4 Waybac.2004.05.ddr3 Waybac.2004.05.ddr4 Waybac.2004.05.ddr5 Waybac.2004.06.nsic2 Waybac.2005.12.cig3

Our Shit that Luke Says section is again taken over by a sibling. This time it was Matt. On Friday night, he sighed and said to Ann & I, “I already have 40 hours in this week but I have to work tomorrow…will I get paid for that??”  I think he would’ve worked it for Bryan even if he didn’t get paid, but we assured him that no only would he be paid…but he would soon learn the joys of overtime pay!

Next up is our video section, which includes a couple of new family videos as well as a bunch from around the internet this week (I had a lot of free time on my hands this week…).

Well that does it for this week’s episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply