Sweet Days of Summer, the Jasmine’s in Bloom

We’ve enjoyed another fast and fun week here at the Scheu abode. Luke wrapped up baseball with another championship, Abby split her time between work and fun and Matt finished up school for the summer. Ann continued to heal and was good about using her cold compression machine daily while I made the doctor happy by exercising more this week. Hello again and welcome back to the Scheu Family Blog.
It was back to work for Ann & I on Monday. It was Ann’s first day in nearly a week but she did very well with her knee. It was Matt’s last day of summer session at U Indy. He and his teammates gave their presentations (some sort of collaborative video) and enjoyed a pitch-in lunch. Abby had Pirateers practice at the butt crack of dawn. Luke enjoyed the day off and had Drew over to shoot off fireworks & spend the night. We were very saddened to hear that our neighbor Ed passed away today. It was just 2 days short of he & Ginnie’s 69th anniversary. He was such a cool guy. We’ll miss him. Our other neighbor, Dave, became a grandpa again that same day. Congrats to he and Jamie. But first, as promised, we lead off with pictures of Luke’s birthday party from last weekend.

lbdp16.7 lbdp16.1 lbdp16.2 lbdp16.3 lbdp16.4 lbdp16.5 lbdp16.6 lbdp16.7 lbdp16.8 lbdp16.9 lbdp16.10 lbdp16.11 lbdp16.12 lbdp16.13 lbdp16.14 lbdp16.15 lbdp16.16 lbdp16.17 lbdp16.18 lbdp16.19 lbdp16.20 lbdp16.21 lbdp16.22 lbdp16.23 lbdp16.24 lbdp16.25 edo1 edo2 edo3 edo4 edo5 sis16.06.113 sis16.06.114 sis16.06.115 sis16.06.116 sis16.06.117 sis16.06.118 sis16.06.119 sis16.06.120 sis16.06.121 sis16.06.122 sis16.06.123 sis16.06.124 sis16.06.125 sis16.06.126 lbtc16.69 lbtc16.70 lbtc16.71 lbtc16.72

I was awakened by Ann at 1 am on Tuesday morning. It was work, calling me about the fire alarm going off. So I got up and met my right-hand man, Philip at work. We got everything taken care of and everything back online before the kids got up for the day. I went ahead and just worked my normal day. I walked for an hour after work on a very hot & humid day. My back eventually loosened up and I got in to a good groove. I came home and picked up Abby. We headed to Cincinnati to watch the Reds take on the Cubs at Great America Ballpark. It was a perfect night and the game went by really fast. There was a pretty full crowd and we sat at the highest seat in the ballpark, directly behind home plate. The game ended up going extra innings – 15 to be exact. We had trouble finding the car afterwards. I knew exactly where it was…but it wasn’t there. We wandered around that cavernous garage for 20 minutes. Abby hit the key fob to make the alarm go off. We could hear it…or so we thought…it was so faint. Just when we were ready to give up, we saw a staircase…turns out there was a second level! Sure enough, the car was exactly where I thought it was and we found it within seconds. Unbelievable…we laughed and laughed… Thanks to Abby for earning the tickets with her good grades. We did the same thing last year and that game, too, went in to extra innings. The Reds went on to lose, as usual…but we had a great time. Abby had Pirateers earlier that morning but missed soccer due to the Reds game. Luke missed football to workout with Matt after he got off work. Matt was thrilled to not have to do his final exam and just like that, he was done with summer school and now can pick up more hours at work until fall term begins.

atr16.0 atr16.1 atr16.2 atr16.3 atr16.4 atr16.5 atr16.6 atr16.7 atr16.8 atr16.9 atr16.10 atr16.11 atr16.12 atr16.13 atr16.14 atr16.15 atr16.16 atr16.17 atr16.18 atr16.19 atr16.20 atr16.21 atr16.22 atr16.23 atr16.24 atr16.25 atr16.26 atr16.27 atr16.28 atr16.29 atr16.30 atr16.31 atr16.32 atr16.33

Wednesday was along day after being up 24 hours yesterday. I managed a full day and then walked for an hour on another hot, humid day. Ann, the kids & I went up to the funeral home for Ed’s showing. Then Bu went to soccer and Luke & I had baseball practice at North Park. Bryan was out of town but surprised us by showing up at practice. It was a very good practice and the boys had fun.
Abby was up early again on Thursday for Pirateers and Matt had to work. After a long day at work, I walked around the campus and as I did, I loved seeing all the Q-Mix signs up around the area in prep of tomorrow night’s big event. We had staked the front yard again earlier in the day to keep cars from parking in and tearing up our front yard. That evening Luke, Drew & the Marlins played baseball in the city tourney championship game vs. the Reds. It was the last game of the year for the boys unless we end up doing an all-star thing later in the summer. We got off to quick start. Drew mowed them down with three up / three down. We batted around and went up 9-0 after one. It was another 1,2,3 inning for Drew in the 2nd and we again batted around and wound up 16-0 after two. It was more of the same for Drew in the 3rd. We had two weird things happen to the boys while batting – one, the boy dove back to 1st and beat the tag, asked for time from the ump, was granted the time out and then called the kid out. We argued a little, but let it go. Then the very next batter got a hit and as he overran first, he turned in instead of out but never made an attempt to go. Still, he was too was called out by the same umpire. Again, we started to argue, but let it go. Luke got on an scored our only run to go up 17-0. Luke pitched the 4th inning and struck out the side…after walking a pair and allowing them both to score. They called the game at that point and we won in a blowout, 17-2. Luke led off for us and got on base all 3 times, going 2-2 with a single & double and was also hit by a pitch. He had one of his hardest hits on his double. He scored 3 runs and stole 3 bases and recorded a putout at 1st base. Afterward, Coach Messer took treated the boys to ice cream and then Ann, the kids & I met up with the Messers for dinner at BWW – despite Abby’s complaints (I don’t want to go there, I work there!). Abby ended up missing soccer workouts due to attending Luke’s baseball game and took pictures for us (thx Bu!) but did manage to attend conditioning earlier in the day. After dinner, Luke went home with Bryan & Angie and spent the night with Drew.

lbtc16.1 lbtc16.2 lbtc16.3 lbtc16.4 lbtc16.5 lbtc16.6 lbtc16.7 lbtc16.8 lbtc16.9 lbtc16.10 lbtc16.11 lbtc16.12 lbtc16.13 lbtc16.14 lbtc16.15 lbtc16.16 lbtc16.17 lbtc16.18 lbtc16.19 lbtc16.20 lbtc16.21 lbtc16.22 lbtc16.23 lbtc16.24 lbtc16.25 lbtc16.26 lbtc16.27 lbtc16.28 lbtc16.29 lbtc16.30 lbtc16.31 lbtc16.32 lbtc16.33 lbtc16.34 lbtc16.35 lbtc16.36 lbtc16.37 lbtc16.38 lbtc16.39 lbtc16.40 lbtc16.41 lbtc16.42 lbtc16.43 lbtc16.44 lbtc16.45 lbtc16.46 lbtc16.47 lbtc16.48 lbtc16.49 lbtc16.50 lbtc16.51 lbtc16.52 lbtc16.53 lbtc16.54 lbtc16.55 lbtc16.56 lbtc16.57 lbtc16.58 lbtc16.59 lbtc16.60 lbtc16.61 lbtc16.62 lbtc16.63 lbtc16.64 lbtc16.65 lbtc16.66 lbtc16.67 lbtc16.68 lbtc16.73 lbtc16.74 lbtc16.75 lbtc16.76 lbtc16.77 lbtc16.78 lbtc16.79 lbtc16.80 lbtc16.81 lbtc16.82 lbtc16.83 lbtc16.84 lbtc16.85 lbtc16.86 lbtc16.87

Abby had Student Council on Friday. Matt & I enjoyed the day off. Luke moved the cars out of the driveway so he could play basketball – he’s really getting good at driving. Abby & I went to Hibbett’s to get her more soccer stuff. Abby, Luke & I played a little soccer in the backyard with Bu’s new ball. Later, Luke & Abby went with me to Columbus to watch fireworks at my work. We walked around the IUPUC campus to take in all the sites and check out the band playing across the street from the facility. We played catch out in the front yard for a while as the band played. It was pretty cool, actually. There was an estimated 50K people at the annual Q-Mix Musical Fireworks event. It was as good as ever and we enjoyed watching them from the back of Betty White. Megan came over while we were gone and hung out with Ann & Matt until we got back. She ended up spending the night with Abby.
Abby was up early again on Saturday for Pirateers. Luke & I mowed the yard while Matt trimmed the bushes. Afterwards, the boys & I used Betty White to pull up the Grimace-shaped bush at the corner of the house – it was pretty cool. Then the boys & I went fireworks shopping at the Black Cat tent out by DQ and grabbed takeout and then came home to eat and get cleaned up…it wasn’t long before we were enjoying blowing stuff up! Abby had Megan over again and we went to Marsh to get snacks and a watermelon – Megan & Luke really enjoyed blowing up the watermelon! I think we all enjoy the 4th of July as one of our favorite holidays…but I think the one that enjoyed it more than anyone was Lola. She acted like she was a little puppy again, barking and leaping – she was a nut. Megan stayed the night and Baker came over for a little while as well. We had fun shooting off all the fireworks even though it wasn’t the 4th because of the threat of severe weather and the large amount of rain expected the rest of the weekend.

fojf16.1 fojf16.2 fojf16.3 fojf16.4 fojf16.5 fojf16.6 fojf16.7 fojf16.8 fojf16.9 fojf16.10 fojf16.11 fojf16.12 fojf16.13 fojf16.14 fojf16.15 fojf16.16 fojf16.17 fojf16.18 fojf16.19 fojf16.20 fojf16.21 fojf16.22 fojf16.23 fojf16.24 fojf16.25 fojf16.26 fojf16.27 fojf16.28 fojf16.29 fojf16.30 fojf16.31 fojf16.32 fojf16.33 fojf16.34 fojf16.35 fojf16.36 fojf16.37 fojf16.38 fojf16.39 fojf16.40 fojf16.41 fojf16.42 fojf16.43 fojf16.44 fojf16.45 fojf16.46 fojf16.47 fojf16.48 fojf16.49 fojf16.50 fojf16.51 fojf16.52 fojf16.53 fojf16.54 fojf16.55 fojf16.56 fojf16.57 fojf16.58 fojf16.59 fojf16.60 fojf16.61 fojf16.62 fojf16.63 fojf16.64 fojf16.65 fojf16.66 fojf16.67 fojf16.68 fojf16.69 fojf16.72 fojf16.70 fojf16.71

We enjoyed sleeping in on a rainy Sunday. It would continue to rain on & off all day. We did our weekly household chores. The girls went shopping. The Greensburg fireworks were cancelled until Tuesday. We were invited out to the Messer compound but Ann didn’t feel up to going out. I ended up going out for a couple hours. Abby & Mary (her Pirateer co-captain) stopped by for a little bit while out cruising around. Mary ended up spending the night with Bu. Drew came home with Luke & I and he too stayed the night. We have lots of new social media pictures to share this week: a ton of Abby and her friends on their adventures; the Drakes; Emma & Dick; Nate and family in FLA; the Kosiors; Tom & Cathy; Haley & fam; a bunch more of Bu & friends on yet more adventures; Nate & Steph; Myles in Spain; Kuyhlia photo shoot; Courtney & family; a new documentary about the FC fires was recently released; one of my favorite defensive coaches of all-time passed away this week – Buddy Ryan; more pix of Charlie Hustle’s HOF induction; Calvin & Hobbes panels; Scotty Moore (Elvis’ guitarist) also passed away this week; AJ Hammonds was drafted by the Timberwolves!; a cool new set of Star Wars Hot Wheels was unveiled this week for the NYTF; and Neil Peart of Rush was recently honored in his hometown and Jimmy Page & Robert Plant won their Stairway to Heaven court case.

smp16.07.01 smp16.07.02 smp16.07.03 smp16.07.04 smp16.07.05 smp16.07.06 smp16.07.07 smp16.07.08 smp16.07.09 smp16.07.10 smp16.07.11 smp16.07.12 smp16.07.13 smp16.07.14 smp16.07.15 smp16.07.16 smp16.07.17 smp16.07.18 smp16.07.19 smp16.07.20 smp16.07.21 smp16.07.22 smp16.07.23 smp16.07.24 smp16.07.25 smp16.07.26 smp16.07.27 smp16.07.28 smp16.07.29 smp16.07.30 smp16.07.31 smp16.07.32 smp16.07.33 smp16.07.34 smp16.07.35 smp16.07.36 smp16.07.37 smp16.07.38 smp16.07.39 smp16.07.40 smp16.07.41 smp16.07.42 smp16.07.43 smp16.07.44 smp16.07.45 smp16.07.46 smp16.07.47 smp16.07.48 smp16.07.49 smp16.07.50 smp16.07.51 smp16.07.52 smp16.07.53 smp16.07.54 smp16.07.55 smp16.07.57 smp16.07.58 smp16.07.59 smp16.07.60 smp16.07.61 smp16.07.62 smp16.07.63 smp16.07.64 smp16.07.65 smp16.07.66 smp16.07.67 smp16.07.68 smp16.07.69 smp16.07.70 smp16.07.71 smp16.07.72 smp16.07.73 smp16.07.74 smp16.07.75 smp16.07.76 smp16.07.77 smp16.07.78 smp16.07.80 smp16.07.79

Next up is our Waybac section, which still has a few more pictures of our young family in the late nineties. We lead off this week with Matt’s first Christmas at our townhouse in Columbus in December ’96; then Matt a month later in our first home in January ’97; next is bath time for little Matthew at our second home in July ’97; then to the Indy (?) zoo in July ’97; and then the Fourth of July in ’98 – first at Gma & Gigi’s house and then up to East Aurora to Keith & Rosie’s house.

Waybac.1996.12.mfc131 Waybac.1996.12.mfc132 Waybac.1996.12.mfc133 Waybac.1996.12.mfc134 Waybac.1997.01.mny11 Waybac.1997.01.mny12 Waybac.1997.01.mny13 Waybac.1997.01.mny14 Waybac.1997.01.mny5 Waybac.1997.07.mbt1 Waybac.1997.07.mbt2 Waybac.1997.07.mbt3 Waybac.1997.07.mbt4 Waybac.1997.08.miz6 Waybac.1997.08.miz7 Waybac.1997.08.miz8 Waybac.1997.08.miz9 Waybac.1998.07.fojggh1 Waybac.1998.07.fojggh2 Waybac.1998.07.fojggh3 Waybac.1998.07.fojggh4 Waybac.1998.07.fojkrh1 Waybac.1998.07.fojkrh2 Waybac.1998.07.fojkrh3 Waybac.1998.07.fojkrh4

And lastly we have our video segment. We have two new family movies to share this week plus a few from around the internet.

And that does it for this entry of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply