Your Day’s been Numbered…And I’ve Read your Last Page

We opened up the house to enjoy the cooler temps during the first full week of autumn. It was another shower week for us. Luke wrapped up his football season. Abby was allowed to do a little more as she continued to comply with her concussion protocol. Matt felt the pressures of life as he struggled to find balance with his studies, adjusting to living in an apartment with three roommates and finding time to work to keep a steady income. Ann’s knees continued to give her fits and had to ice them nightly. And I walked as often as I could but may have actually gained weight – this next week I plan to really cut down on my intake. Hello again and welcome back to the Scheu Family Blog.
Abby was still off on Monday due to her concussion symptoms. Luke went to football practice after school. I had a good dental checkup before work and then walked 2.5 miles afterward. Ann made garlic chicken for dinner. It was a quiet night, allowing us to get caught up on our DVR shows then watched the debate (along with 85 million other Americans) and then Monday Night Football. We were saddened to hear that golf legend Arnold Palmer passed away yesterday. Abby got her soccer pictures back and Luke got his football pictures back.

lfb16.19 agps16.1 agps16.2 agps16.3 agps16.4 lgpf16.1 lgpf16.2 lgpf16.3 lgpf16.4 lgpf16.5 lgpf16.6

It was a cool start to Tuesday, in the 50’s. Bu returned to school for a half day. She was pretty worn out and her headache worsened that evening. I walked another 2.5 miles after work before leaving for Luke’s final football game vs. their rival, Batesville. Shriver Field was pretty loud that night with a decent crowd for a junior high game. The Pirates came right out and took it to the Bulldogs, going up early and never looking back. Luke represented the team as a tri-captain again, winning the coin toss and deferring to the 2nd half. Luke kicked back-to-back successful onside kicks. The offense was unstoppable (didn’t punt or turn the ball over on downs), the defense was amazing (only gave up a TD when the 2nd stringers were put in), and special teams was dominant. All of this added up to a lopsided victory, 32-6 to end with a winning record on the year, 5-4. Luke’s stats: offense- 5 rushes for 48 yards and 1 TD (6 total points) and a sweet downfield pancake, playing fullback, halfback, flanker, wide receiver and even center! On the defensive side of the ball he had 3 tackles & 1 hurry from his outside linebacker position. On special teams he played up-back on the return teams and kicker on the kickoff team. His kicks: 14 (onside- recovered), 20 (pooch- recovered), 30, 24 (pooch), 35 and 15 (pooch). Abby left her soccer game (spectator only) to come to the game with her friend and joined Ann & Maryann in the stands. Phyllis & Dick stayed at the soccer game, but Ann received a cool text after Luke scored his touchdown that said simply, “Way to go, Luke!” They could hear the announcer all the way over at the soccer field. :0) The girls left after the game while I stayed to tape the 8th graders, who also blew out the Bulldogs. Luke & Drew walked back from the junior high school and then we met up with the girls at ElRep for a celebratory dinner and of course a margarita.

lfb16.1 lfb16.2 lfb16.3 lfb16.4 lfb16.5 lfb16.6 lfb16.7 lfb16.8 lfb16.9 lfb16.10 lfb16.11 lfb16.12 lfb16.13 lfb16.14 lfb16.15 lfb16.16 lfb16.17 lfb16.18 lfb16.19 lfb16.20 lfb16.21 lfb16.22 lfb16.23 lfb16.24 lfb16.25 lfb16.26 lfb16.27 lfb16.28 lfb16.29 lfb16.30 lfb16.31 lfb16.32 lfb16.33 lfb16.34 lfb16.35 lfb16.36 lfb16.37 lfb16.38 lfb16.39 lfb16.40 lfb16.41 lfb16.42 lfb16.43 lfb16.44 lfb16.45 lfb16.46 lfb16.47 lfb16.48 lfb16.49 lfb16.50 lfb16.51 lfb16.52 lfb16.53 lfb16.54 lfb16.55 lfb16.56 lfb16.57 lfb16.58 lfb16.59 lfb16.60 lfb16.61 lfb16.62 lfb16.63 lfb16.64 lfb16.65 lfb16.66 lfb16.67 lfb16.68 lfb16.69 lfb16.70 lfb16.71 lfb16.72 lfb16.73 lfb16.74 lfb16.75 lfb16.76 lfb16.77 lfb16.78 lfb16.79 lfb16.80 lfb16.81 lfb16.82 lfb16.83 lfb16.84 lfb16.85 lfb16.86 lfb16.87 lfb16.88

Wednesday morning was actually a little cold. I broke out my sweatshirt for work as we started the car in the 40’s and ran the defroster. Luke went to his final 7th grade football practice and turned in all his gear. Ann rode over to Columbus with Abby, who had a doctor’s appointment for her concussion. It was decent news – although not released for sports, she is allowed to return to school for half days, as she can tolerate. She is to communicate with the school administration as to her schedule, basically allowing her to return on her own time. We are hopeful that the upcoming Fall Break will be the necessary rest from things that she needs. It stormed most of day and rained out my walk after work. Abby worked briefly at Dixon (though admittedly, she didn’t do much) and then Ann joined her for jazz class but she just watched and didn’t participate.
Thursday was a beautiful day with only a few sprinkles. Abby did a half day of school then hung out at soccer practice but couldn’t participate. Later, she and Ann went to tap class at Dixon to just watch and catch up with the girls and dance moms. Meanwhile, I walked 3 miles after work then grabbed Luke from home and went to the Jr Hi for the annual chili pitch-in dinner for 6th, 7th & 8th grade football. This was not the awards banquet, which will come later. Instead, Bryan & I sat with Coach Harris and talked football, laughed a lot and sampled several different flavors of chili while we watched the highlight reel from the year. Both Luke & Drew made it a couple times. The parents and coaches chipped in and got me a gift certificate to ElRep for taping this season, which was very nice. Afterwards, Luke & I went out to Bryan & Angie’s house to watch Thursday Night Football and have a couple beverages. Here are some various pictures from this week, including some views from my walks, Bu at the homecoming game and scenes during our commute to work.

sis16.10.01 sis16.10.02 sis16.10.03 sis16.10.04 sis16.10.05 sis16.10.06 sis16.10.07 sis16.10.08 sis16.10.09 sis16.10.10 sis16.10.11 sis16.10.12 sis16.10.13 sis16.10.17 sis16.10.18 sis16.10.19 sis16.10.20 sis16.10.21

Friday was another cool day with a few pop-up storms. The sun made a few appearances as did a couple rainbows. I had a routine doctor’s appointment before work that went well, though I was shocked to see the number on the scales. I tried to walk after work but the rain wouldn’t let up so I ran a few errands and then ended up walking at the 5K track at the high school, back in G’burg. Luke went home with Drew after school and then went motorcycle riding in Attica with Drew & Bryan. They took the RV and pulled a trailer with the bikes and other off-road vehicles. Abby had another half-day of school then went out to dinner with Mary at ElRep. It was her last day before Fall Break. She and Luke both get two weeks off this year. Later, she met up with friends to go to a haunted house. That didn’t work out so well, as her headache worsened due to screaming and loud noises, so she wasn’t able to stay out long. Matt stayed up at school which meant we had a nice, quiet evening at home. :0)
We enjoyed sleeping in on Saturday morning. It was a mostly overcast day. Luke spent the day with Bryan & Drew, riding motorcycles and 4-wheelers in Attica. Abby was not feeling real well after screaming too much last night but felt better after taking an extended nap. Matt came home for a few hours to visit and eat a quick lunch with us (Ann made potato soup) before heading in to work. I did the weekly PM to the vehicles and mowed the lawn without my little buddy. Abby eventually went out with Kama for a while and then her Dad drove them up to Lucas Oil Stadium in Indy to watch the Greensburg / Batesville varsity football game. The Pirates won easily to make it a sweep of Batesville this week! This again allowed Ann & I to have a quiet afternoon filled with naps, football and many DVR’ed shows (season finales of Mr. Robot & Queen of the South as well as season premiers of Family Guy, Simpsons, Rebels, Black List and Blind Spot). Matt came home after work to shower, get his stuff and then headed back up to school again. We have new social media pictures to share this week: Bu at homecoming game with Pirateers; Gracie; Bu with soccer friends; cousin fun; the Drakes; more cousin fun; Lola waiting for Abby; Arnold Palmer passed away; more cousin pix; P&D; the Bewleys; a classic pic of my old Oakland elementary school; Molly; animated Ann; throwbacks of Matt with Darby & Brayton; Bu and friends; more cousins; various stuff and Lindsay’s baby shower.

smp16.10.01 smp16.10.02 smp16.10.03 smp16.10.04 smp16.10.05 smp16.10.06 smp16.10.07 smp16.10.08 smp16.10.09 smp16.10.10 smp16.10.11 smp16.10.12 smp16.10.13 smp16.10.14 smp16.10.15 smp16.10.16 smp16.10.17 smp16.10.18 smp16.10.19 smp16.10.20 smp16.10.21 smp16.10.22 smp16.10.23 smp16.10.24 smp16.10.25 smp16.10.26 smp16.10.27 smp16.10.28 smp16.10.29 smp16.10.30 smp16.10.31 smp16.10.32 smp16.10.33 smp16.10.34 smp16.10.35 smp16.10.36 smp16.10.37 smp16.10.38 smp16.10.39 smp16.10.40 smp16.10.41 smp16.10.42 smp16.10.43 smp16.10.44 smp16.10.45 smp16.10.46 smp16.10.47 smp16.10.48 smp16.10.49 smp16.10.50 smp16.10.51 smp16.10.52 smp16.10.53 smp16.10.54 smp16.10.55 smp16.10.56 smp16.10.57 smp16.10.58 smp16.10.59 smp16.10.60 smp16.10.61 smp16.10.62

We enjoyed sleeping in again on Sunday morning. It was yucky-looking all day. I don’t know if it ever rained but it was overcast and humid, though the temps stayed down. We slowly got up and did our weekly household chores. Abby got up and went out to the ball diamonds to support (but not play) her BFF Megan at their family’s annually-sponsored softball tourney in honor of her late father, Larry. She came home around noon with Brittney to get Molly and take her out to the ball diamonds with her as well. Luke enjoyed another day of riding up in Attica with the Messer boys and came back late from his trip. Bryan said Luke spent a lot of time on the ground as they rode in deep sand dunes all weekend. No one had any major injuries, thankfully…until they got home and started to unload the bikes from the trailer when Bryan fell off the trailer. Thankfully I caught the bike so it didn’t fall on top of him, but he carved up his leg pretty good. Abby had to miss work today due to not being released until at least after Fall Break. I enjoyed the NFL quadruple-header, starting with the Colts at 930 in the morning over in the UK. Then we got to watch the Bears and afterwards the Cowboys were on. I couldn’t ask for anything better than to watch my three favorite teams in the same day! It was a nice, quiet day with the kids out. Megan came home with Bu for a little while in the early evening before they went out for dinner at ElRep. Luke ended up missing basketball. He came home exhausted, jumped in the shower and went to bed…and he was out. And broadcast legend Vin Scully called his final Dodgers game today, retiring after 67 years.
Next up is our Waybac segment which continues to feature our second 6 photo albums of our young family. We lead off this week with Matt riding his new Hot Wheels car on Christmas Day, over in the alley across the street from our first Greensburg home in December 1998; then Matt with a surprise meet & greet with the Easter Bunny in Greensburg in April 1999; then the first time our family of four on the front porch, carving pumpkins in October 1999; then over to Gma & Gigi’s house on Christmas Eve in December, 1999; next Easter Egg hunting at our Main St. home in April, 2000; then our FLA vacation at the Sand Pebble in Treasure Island in May, 2000 – including a stop at Downtown Disney with Keith & Rosie; Matt’s camera in August, 2000 on Main St in G’burg; next Christmas Eve at church and Gma & Gigi’s house in December, 2000; Mom & Dad B’s tree in Rossville in December, 2000; Scheu family Christmas in Lafayette at John & June’s Lingle Ave home in December, 2000; Matt’s birthday party in March, 2001; the front cover of a Splash Mountain picture “frame” in May, 2004; and our Christmas party at work in December, 2006.

Waybac.1998.12.mhwc1 Waybac.1998.12.mhwc2 Waybac.1998.12.mhwc3 Waybac.1998.12.mhwc4 Waybac.1999.04.meb1 Waybac.1999.04.meb2 Waybac.1999.04.meb3 Waybac.1999.04.meb4 Waybac.1999.10.cp1 Waybac.1999.10.cp2 Waybac.1999.10.cp3 Waybac.1999.10.cp4 Waybac.1999.12.ce1 Waybac.1999.12.ce2 Waybac.1999.12.ce3 Waybac.1999.12.ce4 Waybac.2000.04.eeh1 Waybac.2000.04.eeh2 Waybac.2000.04.eeh3 Waybac.2000.05.spv1 Waybac.2000.05.spv2 Waybac.2000.05.spv3 Waybac.2000.05.spv4 Waybac.2000.05.spv5 Waybac.2000.05.spv6 Waybac.2000.05.spv7 Waybac.2000.05.spv8 Waybac.2000.05.wdw1 Waybac.2000.08.vmp1 Waybac.2000.08.vmp2 Waybac.2000.08.vmp3 Waybac.2000.08.vmp4 Waybac.2000.12.ce1 Waybac.2000.12.ce2 Waybac.2000.12.ce3 Waybac.2000.12.ce4 Waybac.2000.12.mdct1 Waybac.2000.12.sfc1 Waybac.2000.12.sfc2 Waybac.2000.12.sfc3 Waybac.2000.12.sfc4 Waybac.2000.12.sfc5 Waybac.2001.03.mbdp1 Waybac.2001.03.mbdp2 Waybac.2001.03.mbdp3 Waybac.2004.05.sm1 Waybac.2006.12.cbccp1

We finish with our video section which includes two new home movies this week as well as several from around the internet.

Well that puts the kibosh on this entry into the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply