I Nearly Died…I Nearly Died…

Well this week did not go at all how I had planned it. It was much busier than anticipated and we had a couple plot twists as well. Ann & I had the week off from work and the kids were off school. The kids had friends over to spend the night and stayed at others’ houses. Luke played a couple basketball games. Abby did not have a dance performance but did practice and worked a lot. Matt was in a wedding and worked a lot. Ann had surgery…well sort of…and I took the week off from exercising as my waistline expanded. Hello again and welcome back to the Scheu Family Blog.
We started off our stay-cation week with a warm but rainy Monday. Ann & Bu took Randall and met up with Shawna for breakfast. Luke & I returned stuff to Walmart and got started with our weekly household chores. Matt worked at Aspen Place. We ended up opening up the house and turning off the heat as temperatures crept all the way up to the 60s. Luke had basketball practice and afterward we watched a couple bowl games and caught up on our DVR’ed shows. Matt got home just in time to enjoy watching the Cowboys beat whip the Lions on MNF. Abby had Megan, Randall & Shay over to play games with Ann and then went out cruising before coming back to hang out until the wee hours of the morning; Megan spent the night and we were shocked to hear that singer George Michael died. As promised, we have a ton of Christmas photos from last week to share.

jw16.1 ce16.00 ce16.01 ce16.02 ce16.03 ce16.04 ce16.05 ce16.06 ce16.07 ce16.08 ce16.09 ce16.10 ce16.11 ce16.12 ce16.13 ce16.14 ce16.15 ce16.16 ce16.17 ce16.18 ce16.19 ce16.20 ce16.21 ce16.22 ce16.23 ce16.24 ce16.25 ce16.26 ce16.27 ce16.28 ce16.29 ce16.30 ce16.31 ce16.32 ce16.33 ce16.34 ce16.35 ce16.36 ce16.37 ce16.38 ce16.39 ce16.40 ce16.41 ce16.42 ce16.43 ce16.44 ce16.45 ce16.46 ce16.47 ce16.48 ce16.49 ce16.50 ce16.51 ce16.52 ce16.53 ce16.54 ce16.55 ce16.56 ce16.57 ce16.58 ce16.59 ce16.60 ce16.61 cd16.01 cd16.02 cd16.03 cd16.04 cd16.05 cd16.06 cd16.07 cd16.08 cd16.09 cd16.10 cd16.11 cd16.12 cd16.13 cd16.14 cd16.15 cd16.16 cd16.17 cd16.18 cd16.19 cd16.20 cd16.21 cd16.22 cd16.23 cd16.24 cd16.25 cd16.26 cd16.27 cd16.28 cd16.29 cd16.30 cd16.31 cd16.32 cd16.33 cd16.34 cd16.35 cd16.36 cd16.37 cd16.38 cd16.39 cd16.40 cd16.41 cd16.42 cd16.43 cd16.44 cd16.45 cd16.46 cd16.47 cd16.48 cd16.49 cd16.50 cd16.51 cd16.52 cd16.53 cd16.54 cd16.55 cd16.56 cd16.57 cd16.58 cd16.59 cd16.60 cd16.61 cd16.62 cd16.63 cd16.64 cd16.65 cd16.66 cd16.67 cd16.68 cd16.69 cd16.70

We woke up to a cold house on Tuesday morning as the temps had been cut in half and never got above freezing. Abby was up early for Pirateers practice. Matt got up early to work out with Colton at the high school. Meanwhile, Ann & I took Luke to basketball at the junior high school for the annual Greensburg Holiday Tourney. First up, the boys faced Milan and destroyed them, 50-14, putting us in the finals. The starters sat the entire 4th quarter and everyone got a bucket! Luke stats: 2 points on 1-3 shooting. Defensively he had 2 rebounds, a pair of forced turnovers, a steal and a block. Ann & I took the boys to lunch between games (Matt came to watch him play) then came home for a quick nap. Abby went out to lunch with Shelby who was home from college. We got called back early for the championship game later that afternoon. In fact they had to delay the game in order for everyone to get back. This time they faced Brownstown. We were afraid of a slow start due to the layoff, but they came out on fire and never looked back, winning going away – 38-19 to take home the trophy! Luke’s stats: He did not attempt a shot but had 4 rebounds, a block and was in foul trouble most of the game and fouled out as he shut down their huge center. Sadly, we later heard that Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia of the Star Wars movies) passed away. Matt worked at the old folk’s home and then went out with his buddies. Luke stayed the night at the Hellmichs and the girls went out dress shopping in Greenwood…so with everyone out, I enjoyed a quiet night. I worked on the car until after dark. When girls came home, Bu & I cut music for their next dance routine and then she went to bed with a sick headache, missing her beau who stopped by for a few minutes after work. I uploaded the game tapes to Hudl until late and watched a couple bowl games.

lbght16.1 lbght16.2 lbght16.3 lbght16.4 lbght16.5 lbght16.6 lbght16.7 lbght16.8 lbght16.9 lbght16.10 lbght16.11 lbght16.12 lbght16.13 lbght16.14 lbght16.15 lbght16.16 lbght16.17 lbght16.18 lbght16.19 lbght16.20 lbght16.21 lbght16.22 lbght16.23 lbght16.24 lbght16.25 lbght16.26 lbght16.27 lbght16.28 lbght16.29 lbght16.30 lbght16.31 lbght16.32 lbght16.33 lbght16.34 lbght16.35 lbght16.36 lbght16.37 lbght16.38 lbght16.39 lbght16.40 lbght16.41 lbght16.42 lbght16.43 lbght16.44 lbght16.45 lbght16.46 lbght16.47 lbght16.48 lbght16.49 lbght16.50 lbght16.51 lbght16.52 lbght16.53 lbght16.54 lbght16.55 lbght16.56 lbght16.57 lbght16.58 lbght16.59 lbght16.60 lbght16.61 lbght16.62 lbght16.63 lbght16.64 lbght16.65 lbght16.66 lbght16.67 lbght16.68 lbght16.69 lbght16.70 lbght16.71 lbght16.72 lbght16.73 lbght16.74 lbght16.75 lbght16.76 lbght16.77 lbght16.78 lbght16.79 lbght16.80 lbght16.81 lbght16.82 lbght16.83 lbght16.84 lbght16.85 lbght16.86 lbght16.87 lbght16.88 lbght16.89 lbght16.90 lbght16.91 lbght16.92 lbght16.93

Wednesday was cold and icy. Ann & I ran to Columbus to do some work and look at washers & dryers at Lowe’s. They will have to special order the ones she wants (of course!). Abby and Megan went out on an adventure. Matt had the day off to prep for Joel’s wedding. That afternoon, Ann & I worked from home and later we all got dressed up and headed to the small southern Indiana town of Holton for Joel’s wedding in an old church that his parents had converted to their home. It was the same church that his parents and his grandparents had tied the knot. It was actually pretty cool. They live in the rest of the church but kept the sanctuary in-place. It was a nice ceremony. Matt stood up with him as a groomsman and had a great time. The reception was just down the highway at the City Hall. It was a good party with some great food and all the typical stuff. We dragged Bu & Luke along with us so we didn’t stay too late. The wedding party had the use of a church bus, which was great. Matt said he had a fun time and ended up staying the night there at Joel’s house.

jw16.1 jw16.2 jw16.3 jw16.4 jw16.5 jw16.6 jw16.7 jw16.8 jw16.9 jw16.10 jw16.11 jw16.12 jw16.13 jw16.14 jw16.15 jw16.16 jw16.17 jw16.18 jw16.19 jw16.20 jw16.21 jw16.22 jw16.23 jw16.24 jw16.25 jw16.26 jw16.27 jw16.28 jw16.29 jw16.30 jw16.31 jw16.32 jw16.33 jw16.34 jw16.35 jw16.36 jw16.37 jw16.38 jw16.39

I’m glad we didn’t stay too late at the wedding because we were up way early on Thursday for Ann’s surgery at CRH in Columbus. Everything was going great until they administered the anesthesia and antibiotics and instantly the doctors knew something was wrong. Thankfully they had intubated her because she had a reaction that caused anaphylactic shock and nearly died. Hats off to George, Dan and especially the anesthesiologist who was on it…they sprang in to action when her throat closed up and her blood pressure dropped. Mom & Sandy met us there and later Abby & Megan came over as well to come support Ann. Due to the reaction from those meds, her surgery is now postponed indefinitely until she sees an allergist. We need to determine what exactly caused her reaction because she’s had all those meds previously (there was a mix of five meds that were administered about the same time). They kept her for about eight hours for observation and she did fine. She was pretty sore from where they inverted her to keep the blood up at her heart. The girls & I went shopping and ate lunch at Arni’s to let Ann rest. Later, Abby went out to El Rep for dinner with Britney & Cody to celebrate his birthday. Luke stayed home all day and ended up going to the YMCA with Tyler. That evening we had snow squalls that left us with a light dusting overnight. Matt had the day off to recover and spent it with his buddies. Abby and her gang came home and we watched a couple movies on the big screen: Nerve & The Forest, that were both pretty good.
Friday started off as a cold, frozen morning with about a half an inch of snow on the ground from last night’s storm. Poor Ann was really sore from being hung upside down yesterday. She could barely move and made an awful noise when she ventured off her recliner. Matt went back to work while Abby & I got Tonya’s oil and windshield wipers changed before we began watching a mini Star Wars (IV & V) marathon while eating leftover chili and PB sandwiches. Randall came over for a few minutes before they headed in to work. Luke had Alex over to shoot air soft guns in the back yard while I checked in all my new Hot Wheels from Christmas. Later, Keith & Rosie came to town with Megan and we met up with them along with Mom & Sandy and Dee & Jamie for dinner out at BWR so we could give Bu a hard time. We met up back at Gma & Gigi’s house for presents and a night cap. We enjoyed catching up and laughed a lot as we visited. Luke made the paper again for the big basketball tourney win earlier this week.

krc16.1 krc16.2 krc16.3 krc16.4 krc16.5 krc16.6 krc16.7 krc16.8 krc16.9 krc16.10 krc16.11 krc16.12 krc16.13 krc16.14 krc16.15 krc16.16 krc16.17 krc16.18 krc16.19 krc16.20 krc16.21

Saturday was New Year’s Eve. I got up early to watch the UFC fights from last night and was devastated that Rousey looked so overmatched. It would not surprise me to see her go ahead and retire. I don’t want to see it but I know she has a lot of pride and this was a tough way to go out… Ann, Matt & Bu went over to Mom & Sandy’s to see Keith & Rosie and have lunch. Luke & I did some stuff around the house before heading over as well. We mounted their under-the-counter radio and moved out their broken couch to the curb. She made some yummy olive dip (Ann’s recipe) so we spent a few minutes enjoying it and talking before heading home to get cleaned up. The bowl games today were very lopsided as both Alabama and Clemson punched their tickets to the championship game next week, which gave Abby and I time to watch Return of the Jedi before she headed in to work again. Matt had to work as well. Luke came with Ann & I to the Sunken Boat Bar to ring in the new year. Bryan & Angie have really made progress on the basement, where we spent the entire evening. We had a pretty good crowd of about 25, including kids. We had a lot of fun, playing games, listening to Bryan & Rob and enjoying the libations, stogies and friends. Abby & Randall stopped by after work and ended up staying. Matt never did make it over but at least he went to a party where he could walk home. He had a buddy stay the night and Randall ended up here overnight as well. Not sure what was up with the Mariah Carey performance on the Rockin’ New Years Eve, but it was terrible. If I had to guess, she was supposed to lip sync and ended up with a live mic. I loved Jamie’s post on social media that said, “Thanks to Mariah Carey, the Buckeyes didn’t have the worst performance of the night.” :0) We had so much fun and laughed until we cried at times with our friends and family. It was a great way to end such a shitty year…Here are some random pictures from this week’s fun.

sis17.01.01 sis17.01.02 sis17.01.03 sis17.01.04 sis17.01.05 sis17.01.06 sis17.01.07 sis17.01.08 sis17.01.09 sis17.01.10 sis17.01.11 sis17.01.12 sis17.01.13 sis17.01.14 sis17.01.15 sis17.01.16 sis17.01.17 sis17.01.18 sis17.01.19 sis17.01.20 sis17.01.21 sis17.01.22 sis17.01.23 sis17.01.24 sis17.01.25 sis17.01.26 sis17.01.27 sis17.01.28 sis17.01.29 sis17.01.30 sis17.01.31 sis17.01.32 sis17.01.33 sis17.01.34 sis17.01.35 sis17.01.36 sis17.01.37 sis17.01.38 sis17.01.39 sis17.01.40 sis17.01.41 sis17.01.42 sis17.01.43 sis17.01.44 sis17.01.45 sis17.01.46 sis17.01.47 sis17.01.48

We gradually got up and got moving on Sunday morning. It was weird having New Year’s Day fall on a Sunday. Normally this day would be full of college football games but instead they chose to not compete with the final week of the NFL and will move a few games to tomorrow and of course played a couple big games yesterday. Ann & I rode out to the Messer compound with Abs & Randall, where we left his car for the night. It only took him about 10 minutes to get his door open after locking his keys in the car last night. Boy; I think we’ve all been there, haven’t we? Ann & I ran to the store for breakfast supplies and she made bacon, egg & cheese biscuits that really hit the spot. Abby had to go in to work (I feel sorry for her co-workers!) after breakfast. Luke spent the night with Drew and somehow managed to stay out of trouble. We often say that those two lose brain cells when they are together. Matt had the day off and he and Tony enjoyed sleeping in till about noon. We watched the Purdue game on the DVR (Matt Painter’s 250th win!) and then enjoyed a relaxing day of football. Robert Mathis (all-time sack leader for the Colts) played in his final game and had a big strip/sack/recovery as the Colts finally showed some signs of life with a come-from-behind win…but I wonder if it will be enough to save the coaching staff or the GM’s job. Frank Gore reached 1K yards. The Cowboys rested many of their players, though Romo got to play one series and threw a TD pass. Nevertheless, they lost the game and fell short of a team record 14th win. Still; they are the #1 seed and will have home-field advantage throughout the playoffs. Abby & Randall got off work at about the same time and they came back to hang with us for several hours. Ann made our family’s traditional Rebel Dogs and cole slaw for a good luck dinner. I had planned to do weekly household chores but was told it would bring bad luck, so Matt, Ann & I sat on the couches all day and watched the games on the big screen while getting in a couple cat naps. We watched the Boilers lose to drop them to 12-3 on the year. Abby had Mary and Julia over to work on Pirateers dance stuff. Afterwards, everyone went home and Abs went out and picked up Megan & Britney and brought them back home to play games and hang out with Ann. Matt ended up going out with his buddies that night and I turned in early. We have several social media pictures to share this week.

smp17.01.01 smp17.01.02 smp17.01.03 smp17.01.04 smp17.01.05 smp17.01.06 smp17.01.07 smp17.01.08 smp17.01.09 smp17.01.10 smp17.01.11 smp17.01.12 smp17.01.13 smp17.01.14 smp17.01.15 smp17.01.16 smp17.01.17 smp17.01.18 smp17.01.19 smp17.01.20 smp17.01.21 smp17.01.22 smp17.01.23 smp17.01.24 smp17.01.25 smp17.01.26 smp17.01.27 smp17.01.28 smp17.01.29 smp17.01.30 smp17.01.31 smp17.01.32 smp17.01.33 smp17.01.34 smp17.01.35 smp17.01.36 smp17.01.37 smp17.01.38 smp17.01.39 smp17.01.40 smp17.01.41 smp17.01.42 smp17.01.43 smp17.01.44

Next up is our Waybac section, which still features photo albums #7 – 12 from our young family’s lives while we lived in the old Main St home. We start off this time with Matt riding his new Lamborghini in the parking lot across the street when we lived on Main St on Christmas Day in December 1998 – it was cold but no snow…it took Santa until 3 am to put that thing together! Next we fast-forward to March 1999 for Matt’s 3rd birthday party at the Main St home; then we head to WTRE to watch the fair parade in July 1999; Matt in the 4th of July parade in July 1999; then Ann in labor for Abby in September 1999 in Columbus; then we have our annual Easter egg hunt on the grounds of the Main St home in April 2000; then up to Rossville to see Mom & Dad B in April 2000; next we head to Downtown Disney with Keith & Rosie in Orlando, FL in May 2000; back to WTRE to watch the Fair Parade from the back of Betty White again in July 2000; Matt at Holiday World in the summer of 2000; then a visit to Nashville to see the Drews in December 2000; next we head to Lafayette for the Scheu family Christmas party at J&J’s in December 2000; and we finish back at our Main St home in March 2001 for Matt’s 4th birthday party.

Waybac.1998.12.cd.mhwl1 Waybac.1998.12.cd.mhwl2 Waybac.1998.12.cd.mhwl3 Waybac.1998.12.cd.mhwl4 Waybac.1999.03.mbdp16 Waybac.1999.03.mbdp17 Waybac.1999.03.mbdp18 Waybac.1999.03.mbdp19 Waybac.1999.07.fp06 Waybac.1999.07.fp07 Waybac.1999.07.fp08 Waybac.1999.07.fp09 Waybac.1999.07.mfojp23 Waybac.1999.09.aal1 Waybac.1999.09.aal2 Waybac.1999.09.aal3 Waybac.1999.09.aal4 Waybac.2000.04.eehoms1 Waybac.2000.04.eehoms2 Waybac.2000.04.eehoms3 Waybac.2000.04.eehoms4 Waybac.2000.04.rev1 Waybac.2000.04.rev2 Waybac.2000.04.rev3 Waybac.2000.04.rev4 Waybac.2000.05.dtd01 Waybac.2000.05.dtd02 Waybac.2000.05.dtd03 Waybac.2000.07.fp14 Waybac.2000.07.fp15 Waybac.2000.07.fp16 Waybac.2000.07.fp17 Waybac.2000.08.hw24 Waybac.2000.12.rdcp1 Waybac.2000.12.rdcp2 Waybac.2000.12.rdcp3 Waybac.2000.12.rdcp4 Waybac.2000.12.sfcp23 Waybac.2000.12.sfcp24 Waybac.2000.12.sfcp25 Waybac.2000.12.sfcp26 Waybac.2001.03.mbdpoms14 Waybac.2001.03.mbdpoms15 Waybac.2001.03.mbdpoms16 Waybac.2001.03.mbdpoms17 Waybac.2001.03.mbdpoms18 Waybac.2001.03.mbdpoms19 Waybac.2001.03.mbdpoms20 Waybac.2001.03.mbdpoms21

Next up is our video section, which includes six new family movies this week as well as several from around the internet. Congrats to ELO, Journey, Yes, Pearl Jam and Joan Baez on their selection into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2017.

And that does it for this week’s entry of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply