Of Everything that Stands, The End

It was a hotter week and we saw the return of Mr. Humidity as we said goodbye to June and welcomed July. We had a fast week as we looked forward to a long holiday weekend. Luke wrapped up basketball. Abby had another week of school, work and dance. Matt had another week of school and work. Ann continued to struggle with her knees and headaches. And I battled the bulge, walking 13 miles in the heat as well as doing my semi-annual Hazard Surveillance Rounds for three days at work. Although it made the days go fast, it was equally exhausting for this fat old man. I continue to receive constant updates on Facebook for the big 30th reunion of the Class of 1987 at LPHS. It sounds like many of my classmates will be there. We’re still not sure what we’re doing next weekend so I will likely miss it. This week, I finished up moving all my files, programs and settings over to the new laptop and wiped the old one clean for Luke to now use. This is the 1st blog entry crated entirely on the new laptop. The biggest difference so far is the keyboard, which I am still getting used to. And thankfully the dogs are back to normal as they are eating now that we’ve had to change their food and get away from the Purina brand. Hello again and welcome back to the Scheu Family Blog.
Monday was a gorgeous day as we kept the house open. Matt returned to work. Abby got up for school then later went to Pirateers practice. It was the final day of basketball camp for Luke. He and the Greensburg 8th graders (that still looks weird) headed over to St. Leon at East Central High School to play against the Trojans as well as the Batesville Bulldogs. The boys won both games. Luke started both games and played almost the entire time. Ann took a half day off and made the trek over to EC to support the boys. I returned to work for a long day and then walked two and a half miles afterward. Luke & I went out to the ball diamonds that evening for game 1 of the City Championship Series. It was a close game, but he boys pulled it out again to keep their winning streak alive, topping the Cubs 11-8. Luke played 1st base and centerfield, going 1-2 at the plate with a single and a strikeout. He stole 3 bases and scored 1 run. Ann & Matt came to the game that evening. Even Bu and her friends Mary & Julia came out for a while after Pirateers practice. After the game, Luke & Drew rode in the back of Betty White to Dairy Point for ice cream and then froze in the back on their way out to the Messer’s on a perfect night. We kept the house open overnight as temps dipped it to the 50s.

lbccs17.54 lmmbp17.01 lmmbp17.02 lmmbp17.03 lmmbp17.04 lmmbp17.05 lmmbp17.06 lpbc17.01 lpbc17.02 lpbc17.03 lpbc17.04

Tuesday was another gorgeous day with house open. Matt’s school was cancelled so he had the day off to trim the shrubs…except he somehow forgot! Abby had summer school then worked at BWR. Ann felt better for a change, going headache free all day. I walked 3 miles with Justin, who was back from Disney. Luke & the Marlins played game 2 of the best-of-three City Championship Series. He played first base all game. He was 2-2 at the plate with a pair of singles, was hit by a pitch and also reached safely on a dropped third strike. He stole four more bases and scored another pair of runs. He was thrown out at the plate, trying to steal home on a very close play. This one was never close and the boys won going away, 11-4. During the game, one of our players was caught in a pickle and as he was tagged out, fell to the ground and the fielder also fell on top of him. He stayed down afterwards and couldn’t get back up. The ump ended up calling 911 and the EMTs carted him off in an ambulance. We’ve never had this happen before…just one more occurrence in this weird season. The big win clinched the 2017 City Championship series for the Marlins to go along with them winning the league title by going undefeated on the season, 12-0-1. Who knows if they could’ve gone 17-0, had things been a little different and the league cared enough to make up the 4 games that were cancelled due to rain and the opening game they called due to time. We’d like to think they would’ve but this season was plagued with odd things – piss poor planning, an unmotivated league official and questionable officiating at times. To put the icing on the cake, the league didn’t even have the trophies ready for the post-game ceremony, which made it awkward. It was a strange season that came and went way too fast. I can’t believe it’s over already, to be honest. We were just starting to hit our stride. The coaching staff is very proud of the boys who got better and better as the season went on. Way to go, Marlins! Bryan treated both teams to ice cream at the Parkside Sweet Shoppe instead of getting trophies. So we never really got closure on the season.

lbccs17.01 lbccs17.02 lbccs17.03 lbccs17.04 lbccs17.05 lbccs17.06 lbccs17.07 lbccs17.08 lbccs17.09 lbccs17.10 lbccs17.11 lbccs17.12 lbccs17.13 lbccs17.14 lbccs17.15 lbccs17.16 lbccs17.17 lbccs17.18 lbccs17.19 lbccs17.20 lbccs17.21 lbccs17.22 lbccs17.23 lbccs17.24 lbccs17.25 lbccs17.26 lbccs17.27 lbccs17.28 lbccs17.29 lbccs17.30 lbccs17.31 lbccs17.32 lbccs17.33 lbccs17.34 lbccs17.35 lbccs17.36 lbccs17.37 lbccs17.38 lbccs17.39 lbccs17.40 lbccs17.41 lbccs17.42 lbccs17.43 lbccs17.44 lbccs17.45 lbccs17.46 lbccs17.47 lbccs17.48 lbccs17.49 lbccs17.50 lbccs17.51 lbccs17.52 lbccs17.53 lbccs17.54 lbccs17.55 lbccs17.56

Abby had school then technique class with Mary on Wednesday. Matt went back to work while Luke had the day off. I walked 3 miles with Justin after work. Luke & I handed out trophies at ball diamonds that evening. Unfortunately, it was very….anticlimactic…as only a few boys trickled in to pick up their hardware. Some couldn’t make it so their parents picked up their trophies and others we took home to hand out later. I’m not sure why, but we had like 4 or 5 extra trophies as well. It’s a shame we never got a picture of the boys in their uniform, altogether with their trophies. In fact, we never did get a picture with the entire team all at the same time this year – bummer. After watching the championship game of the lower league (our old Marlin’s team won!), we ran to Walmart for dog food since the pups haven’t eaten all week. Poor Molly is so apathetic that she is starting to scare us. After nearly a decade of eating the same food, the dogs suddenly refused to even touch their Purina Beneful food. They even ate the first half of the bag so we’re not sure what the heck is wrong with the 2nd half of this one. They haven’t eaten since the weekend so we got them some Cesar wet food and some Kibbles & Bits dry food and they absolutely destroyed it. The really pigged out! It was good to see Molly back to her normal self. Ann made popcorn for dinner and we closed up the house as the humidity crept back in to our lives.
Matt went back to summer school in Muncie on Thursday. He ran 5 or 6 miles after he got home before showering and going out with friends till late. Luke hung out with Alex all afternoon then I took them to football practice. He ended up going home with his buddy Oakley and spending the night with him. Abby had summer school then Pirateers practice with the county band at North Decatur with Drew & Hannah. Ann had a Pirateers parents meeting after work then went out with Abby and the girls for dinner and ice cream. I walked 3 miles in a light rain after work and enjoyed some quite time at home, napping with the now-happy dogs. Here are some random pictures from this week’s adventures.

sis17.06.171 sis17.06.172 sis17.06.173 sis17.06.174 sis17.06.175 sis17.06.176 sis17.06.177 sis17.06.178 sis17.06.179 sis17.06.180 sis17.06.181 sis17.06.182 sis17.06.183 sis17.06.184 sis17.06.185 sis17.06.186 sis17.06.187 sis17.06.188 sis17.06.189 sis17.06.190 sis17.06.191 sis17.06.192 sis17.06.193 sis17.06.194 sis17.06.195 sis17.06.196 sis17.06.197 sis17.06.198 sis17.06.199 sis17.06.200 sis17.06.201 sis17.06.202 sis17.06.203 sis17.06.204 sis17.06.205 sis17.06.206 sis17.06.207

Friday was hot, overcast and muggy. Matt got in some volunteer hours at the daycare center in Muncie then came home to trim the shrubs but instead took a four-hour nap. Abby had school then went out with Ann to the junior high to support Baili in her quest to be crowned Ms. Decatur County. She got 3rd place (2nd runner-up) last year, so we were hopeful she would improve upon that score. Instead, she somehow didn’t even place. We think she was robbed! Luke enjoyed a rare back-to-back day off. He had Alex over again and he ended up staying the night with us. I had another long day of rounds at work as I prepped for the long weekend. After being on my feet all day, I only had time enough for a quick mile walk in the heat and I was ready to come home. When I got home, Luke got me a cold beer and we went to the back porch and blew up stuff with some firecrackers. It was pretty fun!
We enjoyed sleeping in on Saturday. Both Matt & Abby had to work. Luke & Alex played until noon, when we finally got motivated to get outside and work in the yard. Luke & I added a little twist to our normal weekend routine. We still mowed and trimmed as well as ate at Taco Bell, went HW hunting and practiced driving in the truck, we also hit all five of the fireworks pop-up stores around town to see what was out there. Meanwhile, Ann went out with Amy for the day, ending up in Franklin. Matt, Luke & I went to El Rep for dinner that night then bought more fireworks. We held off on getting a finale cake until Abby could join us to help pick it out. Matt & Abby went out with friends until late. That night, I watched the season finale of Dr. Who, where they offed just about every main character. Luke had fun shooting off a few fireworks but not as much fun as Lola did! By the time Abby got home, Lola was completely wiped out and didn’t even move when she got home.

smp17.06.251 smp17.06.252 smp17.06.253a smp17.06.254 smp17.06.255 smp17.06.256 smp17.06.257 smp17.06.258 smp17.06.259 smp17.06.260 smp17.06.261 smp17.06.262 smp17.06.263 smp17.06.264 smp17.06.265 smp17.06.266 smp17.06.267 smp17.06.268 smp17.06.269 smp17.06.270 smp17.06.271 smp17.06.272 smp17.06.273 smp17.06.274 smp17.06.275 smp17.06.276 smp17.06.277 smp17.06.278 smp17.06.279 smp17.06.280 smp17.06.281 smp17.06.282 smp17.06.283 smp17.06.284 smp17.06.285 smp17.06.286 smp17.06.287 smp17.06.288 smp17.06.289 smp17.06.290 smp17.06.291 smp17.06.292 smp17.06.293 smp17.06.294 smp17.06.295 smp17.06.296 smp17.06.297 smp17.06.298 smp17.06.299 smp17.06.300 smp17.06.301 smp17.06.302 smp17.06.303 smp17.06.304 smp17.06.305 smp17.06.306 smp17.06.307 smp17.06.308 smp17.06.309 smp17.06.310 smp17.06.311 smp17.06.312 smp17.06.313 smp17.06.314 smp17.06.315 smp17.06.316

We enjoyed sleeping in again on Sunday morning. Matt & Bu both worked again while Ann & I napped. Luke slept till noon…I wonder how late he was up last night? We eventually got up to do our weekly household chores while watching the DVR’ed Daytona night race from last evening. It was likely Dale Jr’s last time at the track. It wasn’t his night, though, as he was involved in a couple wrecks that ended his night early. I thought both the new Batcam and Helmetcam were pretty cool. Ann & Abby went shopping in Greenwood when she got off work. Luke & I got drive-through for lunch and he blew up a few things in the backyard. Lola, of course, loved it while Molly buddied up with me and wouldn’t leave my side. We watched Svengooli which featured This Island Earth – a classic Sci-Fi flick. Matt got his schedule for his 2nd summer school class and he starts tomorrow night! Poor kid… It was a fun way to end the week.
Next is our Waybac section which continues to wind down our collection of pictures of our photo albums #7 – 12 which features our time in the Main St home at the turn of the century. I don’t think we’ll have enough to get through July, so I’ll be heading back to the scanner very, very soon… We lead off this week with the fam at CRH to welcome our little Bu into the world in September 1999; then we see Mom & Dad visiting us on Main St in October 1999; next we cruise up to Lafayette to see the larger Scheu family at John & June’s Lingle home in December 1999; then we come back to the ‘Burg for more Christmas fun in December 1999, including meeting Santa at WTRE with Gigi; next we have Easter lunch on Main St in April 2000; and finally we have some precious photos from the Sand Pebble in Treasure Island in May 2000.

Waybac.1999.09.amtf33 Waybac.1999.09.amtf34 Waybac.1999.09.amtf35 Waybac.1999.09.amtf36 Waybac.1999.10.afh33 Waybac.1999.10.afh34 Waybac.1999.10.afh35 Waybac.1999.10.afh36 Waybac.1999.12.afsc33 Waybac.1999.12.afsc34 Waybac.1999.12.afsc35 Waybac.1999.12.afsc36 Waybac.1999.12.amsc33 Waybac.1999.12.amsc34 Waybac.1999.12.amsc35 Waybac.1999.12.amsc36 Waybac.2000.04.afe33 Waybac.2000.04.afe34 Waybac.2000.04.afe35 Waybac.2000.04.afe36 Waybac.2000.05.afsp33 Waybac.2000.05.afsp34 Waybac.2000.05.afsp35 Waybac.2000.05.afsp36 Waybac.2000.05.afsp37 Waybac.2000.05.afsp38 Waybac.2000.05.afsp39 Waybac.2000.05.afsp40

Next up is our Waybac section which features one new home movie this week as well as several from around the internet.

Well that does it for this week’s episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply