The Heat from Below can Burn your Eyes Out

It was blazing hot this week with the temps and humidity pushing the heat index over 100° every day. The second week of the fair came and went. Matt continued with school in two cities as well as working in two cities. Abby enjoyed being off school for another week, running around with friends, dancing and working. Luke continued to build towards the start of the football season as he had a couple more practices and got his pads late in the week. Ann treated us to home-cooked meals as she continued to battle her knees. I fell just short of my goal with a little over 14 ½ miles of walking in these impossible conditions. As the summer hits the apex, it really hasn’t stopped the rain as we had several storms move through the area this week. The cicadas have returned, which always takes me back to the late summers in Lafayette as a child. They moved the Brickyard 400 up to this weekend, but we didn’t go anywhere near the track due to the temps…and by the looks of the stands on the TV, it kept a lot of people away from the track. We had fun celebrating the big six-oh with Gigi this weekend and praised the name of the man who invented air conditioning. Hello again and welcome back to the Scheu Family Blog.
Matt was up and into work early on Monday morning and then drove back to school for class at U Indy. He stayed in his apartment that night and ended up staying there all week. Abby had Pirateers practice in the early morning then attended soccer practice later that evening and went out with friends that night. Luke returned to the fair with his buddy Luke (Phyllis & Dick’s grandson) then stayed the night at his house. I only had time to walk two miles in the nasty heat & humidity after it stormed for most of the day. Ann and I had a quiet night alone so she made cheesy popcorn for dinner and we fell asleep early. As promised last week, here are pictures from last weekend’s Fair Parade down Park Rd. from our vantage point in the back of Betty White.

sis17.07.84 fp17.01 fp17.02 fp17.03 fp17.04 fp17.05 fp17.06 fp17.07 fp17.08 fp17.09 fp17.10 fp17.11 fp17.12 fp17.13 fp17.14 fp17.15 fp17.16 fp17.17 fp17.18 fp17.19 fp17.20 fp17.21 fp17.22 fp17.23 fp17.24 fp17.25 fp17.26 fp17.27 fp17.28 fp17.29 fp17.30 fp17.31 fp17.32 fp17.33 fp17.34 fp17.35 fp17.36 fp17.37 fp17.38 fp17.39 fp17.40 fp17.41 fp17.42 fp17.43 fp17.44 fp17.45 fp17.46 fp17.47 fp17.48 fp17.49 fp17.50 fp17.51 fp17.52 fp17.53 fp17.54 fp17.55 fp17.56 fp17.57 fp17.58 fp17.59 fp17.60 fp17.61 fp17.62 fp17.63 fp17.64 fp17.65 fp17.66 fp17.67 fp17.68 fp16.69 fp17.70 fp17.71 fp17.72

Matt drove to Muncie for school on Tuesday, staying up at UI again. Abby had a soccer scrimmage game in Danville that evening. Unfortunately, Ann & I couldn’t make it due to work. The girls held their own but came up short, 0-2. Abby played on the offensive side of the ball a lot, getting 3 shots on goal and even made her PK afterwards! Luke got back from the Hellmich’s then went on to football practice after working out with his weight set. Ann had a long day of more EMR meetings and ended up getting home much later than normal. I managed to walk 3 miles with Justin after work on another hot/humid day in the mid-90s then met up with Bryan at the annual football parents meeting. I spent all night on the phone with tech support – first for Comcast (home internet) then with VZW (no 4G on my phone). We watched another cool episode of Preacher that night.
Matt had night school at U Indy on Wednesday. Abby worked at Wings & Rings that day. Luke went back to the fair one more time with his namesake (Luke H) then had him over to spend the night. I sweated my ass off walking a short 5K after work. Whew! Man, it was so hot that night. Ann cooked cheesy jalapeno chicken and corn for a quiet dinner with just the two of us…I guess this is what we have to look forward to here in a few years with an empty nest?? Not sure if I like it or not yet.
Matt returned to school in Muncie on Thursday and got a good score on his history test (that a boy, Matt!). Abby had Pirateers in the early morning then worked at BWR before going out with friends until late. Luke & Luke hung out at the house and later that evening he returned to football practice. After work, Ann baked some sweet treats and enjoyed a girls’ night out at the Sunken Boat Bar until late. I sweated my butt off again as I walked 3 miles with Justin in the intense heat & humidity – that was rough, I won’t lie… Here are this week’s random pictures from this week’s adventures.

sis17.07.01 sis17.07.02 sis17.07.03 sis17.07.04 sis17.07.05 sis17.07.06 sis17.07.07 sis17.07.08 sis17.07.09 sis17.07.10 sis17.07.11 sis17.07.12 sis17.07.13 sis17.07.14 sis17.07.15 sis17.07.16 sis17.07.17 sis17.07.18 sis17.07.19 sis17.07.20 sis17.07.21 sis17.07.22 sis17.07.23 sis17.07.24 sis17.07.25 sis17.07.26

Matt volunteered at the Y in Muncie for school on Friday. I think that may be the final time for his requirements for school. He ended up staying up at his UI apartment that night. Abby worked at Buffalo Wings and Rings again then consoled Mary, who had a rough day. Luke took advantage of his day off by working out with his new weight set. Lifting this past month has already made a noticeable difference. He is much stronger going in to football season than last year. I couldn’t believe how fracking hot it was after work that day. I managed to sweat for over three miles after work. It was so hot that I got light headed at one point and had to slow down a little. The city recently resurfaced the roads on the airport property (where I work and walk) and that has really made the route so much hotter. My eyes were stinging and beet-red by the end of my workout due to the sweat rolling into them. I have no eyebrows anymore for some weird genetic reason. For good measure, I drove home in the sauna that is called Barney – I had to shower the minute I got home because it looked like I just got out of the swimming pool in my work clothes! Ann ordered Papa John’s pizza and we watched a couple movies in the A/C.
Matt came home real quick on Saturday morning to drop off his stuff then ran off to work at Aspen Place. Abby hung out at home (it was nice to finally spend some time with her) then went off to work. Luke & I mowed the yard on a miserably humid morning. It was a little hard to breathe. We made a run for border for a quick bite to eat then ran to the store for some HW hunting and practiced driving the truck around the neighborhood until Dennis & Lenny pulled in to the housing addition. Dennis & Lenny came over for a late lunch of burgers & brats on the grill, homemade mac & cheese, veggies w/ homemade dip, chips and a couple pies – yum! Afterward we did a little home improvement – big thanks to Dennis for installing our new light and fixing our sink! We wish they had more time to stick around and have a few margaritas like we planned but they had to rush off afterward…maybe next time. Luke went to Tyler’s house to swim that afternoon. It was so hot and humid that I was dripping with sweat instantly while doing nothing but being outside to turn off the water in the front yard. After we said goodbye to our friends, we spent the evening inside in the A/C with Matt, watching movies and eating leftovers till late. As usual, we have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp17.07.92 smp17.07.93 smp17.07.94 smp17.07.95 smp17.07.96 smp17.07.97 smp17.07.98 smp17.07.99 smp17.07.100 smp17.07.101 smp17.07.102 smp17.07.103 smp17.07.104 smp17.07.105 smp17.07.106 smp17.07.107 smp17.07.108 smp17.07.109 smp17.07.110 smp17.07.111 smp17.07.112 smp17.07.113 smp17.07.114 smp17.07.115 smp17.07.116 smp17.07.117 smp17.07.118 smp17.07.119 smp17.07.120 smp17.07.121 smp17.07.122 smp17.07.123 smp17.07.124 smp17.07.125 smp17.07.126 smp17.07.127 smp17.07.128 smp17.07.129 smp17.07.130 smp17.07.131 smp17.07.132 smp17.07.133 smp17.07.134 smp17.07.135 smp17.07.136 smp17.07.137 smp17.07.138 smp17.07.139 smp17.07.140 smp17.07.141 smp17.07.142 smp17.07.143 smp17.07.144 smp17.07.145 smp17.07.146 smp17.07.147 smp17.07.148 smp17.07.149 smp17.07.150 smp17.07.151 smp17.07.152 smp17.07.153

We enjoyed sleeping in later than normal on Sunday morning. I can’t remember the last time we slept that late. Matt was the first up and off to work at Aspen. Ann made a yummy quiche for brunch. We did our weekly household chores. That afternoon we went over to Mom & Sandy’s for Gigi’s 60th birthday party. We came home to nap and watch the Brickyard 400. Due to the nasty weather and the pending storms, the attendance was quite sparse. It was an entertaining race that lasted about 7 hours and had a little bit of everything – Jeff Gordon drove the pace car, it was Dale Jr’s final Indy race, it had 14 cautions, 3 red flags, a couple wild wrecks, several lead changes, a two-hour rain delay and a pair of overtimes. Darkness played a role as well since it was almost 9 by the time they finished (under questionable circumstances as there was a wreck that looked like the caution should’ve come out before they hit the OT line on the 2nd overtime restart). As the sun set on the day, it was almost dark as they celebrated in Victory Lane. In the end, it was Kasey Kahne that got to kiss the bricks tonight. Abby had to go into work about mid-afternoon then went to pick up Trevin with his mom at the Indy airport late that night. Matt came home and worked on homework while Ann made popcorn and we watched Shark Week – her favorite TV-viewing week of the year. It was a nice, relaxing way to wind down another busy week.
Next up is our Waybac section which features our final round of pictures from this batch, including three great photos of Mom. These are from the second six volumes of photo albums of our young family during our time in the Main St home around the turn of the century. This coming week, I’ll be working on scanning the next batch of pictures. For now, we lead off with Abby’s birth in Columbus in September 1999; then Abby hanging out at the Main St home in October 1999; next Abby’s first trip to Lafayette – Buck Creek to be more precise as we visited Dad & Barb’s cabin in November 1999; then back to the Main St home for Matt & Abby hanging out in November 1999; then Gma & Gigi visit us at the Main St home in December 1999; Abby’s first Scheu family Christmas party in Lafayette in December 1999 and finally me playing Santa in the little house on the square in December 1999.

Waybac.1999.09.ash70 Waybac.1999.09.ash71 Waybac.1999.09.ash72 Waybac.1999.09.ash73 Waybac.1999.09.ash74 Waybac.1999.09.ash75 Waybac.1999.09.ash76 Waybac.1999.09.ash77 Waybac.1999.09.ash78 Waybac.1999.09.ash79 Waybac.1999.09.ash80 Waybac.1999.09.ash81 Waybac.1999.10.ash82 Waybac.1999.10.ash83 Waybac.1999.10.ash84 Waybac.1999.10.ash85 Waybac.1999.11.afttl70 Waybac.1999.11.afttl71 Waybac.1999.11.afttl72 Waybac.1999.11.afttl73 Waybac.1999.11.afttl74 Waybac.1999.11.gmbdf1 Waybac.1999.11.gmbdf2 Waybac.1999.11.gmbdf3 Waybac.1999.11.mla70 Waybac.1999.11.mla71 Waybac.1999.11.mla72 Waybac.1999.11.mla74 Waybac.1999.11.mla75 Waybac.1999.11.mla76 Waybac.1999.11.mla77 Waybac.1999.12.cagf01 Waybac.1999.12.cagf02 Waybac.1999.12.cagf03 Waybac.1999.12.cagf04 Waybac.1999.12.cagf05 Waybac.1999.12.jjafsfc70 Waybac.1999.12.jjqafsfc71 Waybac.1999.12.jjafsfc72 Waybac.1999.12.tps01 Waybac.1999.12.tps02 Waybac.1999.12.tps03 Waybac.1999.12.tps04 Waybac.1999.12.tps05

Next up is our video section which includes two new home movies as well as several vids from around the internet.

Well that does it for this week’s entry into the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya Mom…
Later, Scheu

Comments are closed.