Graduation is what You Deserve

What a week, what a week. It was one of the fastest weeks we’ve experienced in a while. I could get used to being off three days, working two and then being off six! Matt worked and spent time with Taylor. Abby worked, spent time with Trevin, attended her high school graduation and enjoyed her grad party. She’s officially out of high school! As Ann put it…two down and one to go!! Luke had football day and night, played baseball and prepped for basketball. He also spent a lot of time with his friends and helped around the house. Ann’s knees continued to let her down daily, but she managed to deal with them somehow while coordinating all the events of this long weekend. Meanwhile, I felt like I was in a daze. This week has been surreal. I know it’s a big milestone, so I’ve tried to take it all in and savor the moments. I only got in 11 miles of walking, falling short of my goal and my diet was put on hold for the weekend. Diet and exercise aside, it has been one of the best weeks – one we’ll remember for a long, long time. Dad & Lynn also came to visit us this week, which made it even more special. It’s been quite the week. Welcome back to the Scheu Family Blog.

We enjoyed sleeping in on Monday, which was Memorial Day. We slowly got up to do our weekly household chores. We all had the day off except Abby, who worked at BWR then went swimming then hung out with friends until late. Ann made burgers and dogs on the grill. It was a typical last day of the week for us – chilling, watching classic Sci-Fi, racing, MMA and even caught a movie (we finally saw Black Panther). It was a nice way to start off our week… Here are pictures from Abby’s Awards Day last week.

lp18.06.01 aad18.01 aad18.02 aad18.03 aad18.04 aad18.05 aad18.06 aad18.07 aad18.08 aad18.09 aad18.10 aad18.11 aad18.12 aad18.13 aad18.14 aad18.15 aad18.16 aad18.17 aad18.18 aad18.19 aad18.20 aad18.21 aad18.22 aad18.23 aad18.24 aad18.25 aad18.26 aad18.27 aad18.28 aad18.29 aad18.30 aad18.31 aad18.32 aad18.33 aad18.34 aad18.35 aad18.36 aad18.37 aad18.38

I got up early to awaken Luke & run him to football practice bright and early at the Fieldhouse on Tuesday morning. Big thanks to Gma for bringing him home. Ann & I went in early to work and both had fast days. I walked about 3 miles then we left early to swing home and get Luke & Jonny for baseball and drive over to Brookville. There, we met up with Bryan, Angie & Drew as the Marlins played the Franklin County Zimmer team. We matched up well with them but Luke & Drew both had an off night – likely worn-out from lifting early this morning. In fact, the whole top of our order had a bad day, going 1-15. We’re not gonna win many games like that…and when our defense lost their minds for an inning and a half, we gave up too many runs to overcome and we lost again, 3-7. We should’ve won that game, but instead, we fell to 0-6 on the year. Luke played catcher the whole game and didn’t make any errors but did have trouble knocking down the wild pitches that night. At the plate, he was 0-3 with a pair of pop ups and a sacrifice grounder to move one of our three runs to 3rd base and the next hitter got him in on a fielder’s choice. We stopped at the new Skyline in Brookville for dinner with the Messers before heading home. I-74 is still torn up and it took us about 15 minutes longer both ways. Meanwhile, Matt worked at Aspen Place. Abby worked at Wings & Rings then had dance class as she & Kirsten continued prepping for Nationals next month. Later she began cleaning her room before Dad & Lynn come this weekend. Here are pictures from both tonight’s game against the FC Zimmer team as well as last week’s game vs. the Cubs.

lbbfcz18.01 lbbfcz18.02 lbbfcz18.03 lbbfcz18.04 lbbfcz18.05 lbbfcz18.06 lbbfcz18.07 lbbfcz18.08 lbbfcz18.09 lbbfcz18.10 lbbfcz18.11 lbbfcz18.12 lbbfcz18.13 lbbfcz18.14 lbbfcz18.15 lbbfcz18.16 lbbfcz18.17 lbbfcz18.18 lbbfcz18.19 lbbfcz18.20 lbbfcz18.21 lbbfcz18.22 lbbfcz18.23 lbbfcz18.24 lbbfcz18.25 lbbfcz18.26 lbca18.01 lbca18.02 lbca18.03 lbca18.04 lbca18.05 lbca18.06

The kids got to sleep in on Wednesday while Ann & I went to work. It was a long, stormy day (remnants from the tropical storm that was down in the Gulf this past weekend). I walked 3 miles just as the rain was ending that day. Matt worked 2nd shift at the old folks’ home. Abby worked early at BWR then cleaned her bedroom! Luke had Corbin & Tyler over. The boys rode bikes to a friend’s house and then went to the movies until dark. They rode their bikes home and then played Fortnight until late into the night. Here are pictures from graduation parties last weekend.

gp18.01 gp18.02 gp18.03 gp18.04 gp18.05 gp18.06 gp18.07 gp18.08 gp18.09 gp18.10 gp18.11 gp18.12

I was up before the dawn to take Tyler home and run Luke & Corbin to football practice on Thursday morning. I stayed and walked 4 miles on the track at the high school. Abby worked at Wings & Rings then ran to Columbus to get her nails done for this weekend. Matt had the day off. Ann & I took the day off to work around the house in preparation of visitors this weekend. A big storm rolled through and although it didn’t rain much, we had strong winds and many areas lost power, including the baseball complex. Because of the weather, Luke’s game was cancelled that night. That allowed him to attend football practice, which lasted for 3 ½ hours on what turned out to be a gorgeous evening. Despite LeBron’s 51 (5th highest in a finals game), the Cavs lost game 1 in OT to the Warriors in game 1 of the NBA Finals. They had a chance to win it at the end of regulation but a boneheaded play at the end of the game forced a 5th quarter and it was never close after regulation. Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis18.05.195 sis18.05.196 sis18.05.197 sis18.05.198 sis18.05.199 sis18.05.200 sis18.05.201 sis18.05.202 sis18.05.203 sis18.05.204 sis18.05.205 sis18.05.206 sis18.05.207 sis18.05.208 sis18.05.209 sis18.05.210 sis18.05.211 sis18.05.212 sis18.05.213 sis18.05.214 sis18.05.215 sis18.05.216 sis18.05.217 sis18.05.218 sis18.05.219 sis18.05.220 sis18.05.221 sis18.05.222 sis18.05.223 sis18.05.224 sis18.05.225 sis18.05.226 sis18.05.227 sis18.05.228 sis18.05.229 sis18.05.230 sis18.05.231 sis18.05.232 sis18.05.233 sis18.05.234 sis18.05.235 sis18.05.236 sis18.05.237 sis18.05.238 sis18.05.239 sis18.05.240 sis18.05.241 sis18.05.242 sis18.05.243 sis18.05.244 sis18.05.245 sis18.05.246 sis18.05.247 sis18.05.248 sis18.05.249 sis18.05.250 sis18.05.251 sis18.05.252 sis18.05.253 sis18.05.254 sis18.05.255 sis18.05.256 sis18.05.257 sis18.05.258

Matt up early to work at Aspen Place on Friday morning. Abby finished her speech that she has to give at graduation. Luke & I mowed/trimmed the yard. Ann cleaned the house and went grocery shopping with Bu. Dad & Lynn brought Aunt Sharon with them. This time, they decided to stay at a hotel instead of the house with us. Dad surprised Bu with a very special necklace made of Mom’s wedding ring – there were lots of tears. It was a very sweet and is really pretty…and you could tell it meant so much to Bu. Dad & I ran over to Bryan’s house to pickup his cooler on wheels and a stereo system to use at Abby’s graduation party. We ended up visiting the Sunken Boat Bar and waited for it to stop raining…but it didn’t stop for several hours and we ended up drinking a few cocktails until the girls eventually came over and joined us! The kids were pissed because they wanted to go eat early and we didn’t go until much later that night. We ended up out at ElRep – thanks to Ann & Sharon for driving! We enjoyed a pitcher of margaritas (like we needed more drinks!) with dinner; thanks to Bryan for a great time!!

We got up early on Saturday for Abby’s graduation commencement. Ann & I met Matt & Luke, Dad, Lynn & Sharon, Mom & Sandy, and Jamie in the newly air-conditioned gymnasium. Abby had an integral role in the ceremony, including leading the graduating class into the gym, giving a speech as class president. She received her diploma first and then also got to give the command to turn the tassels at the end. Afterward, we took tons of pictures outside with friends and family. Next, our group met up with Trevin’s family for a big lunch at Tarouya. We came back and picked up the truck so Matt & I could run to the liquor store and picked up the keg of Coors Light and various bottles of beer for tomorrow. I did a test set up of the audio equipment from Bryan and ran a couple errands. We sat around and visited with Dad, Lynn & Sharon and I think everyone nodded off at one point or another. Ann & Sharon ran to the store to get food to cookout on the grill on a gorgeous day in the upper 80s. Abby & Trevin ran around to grad parties all day. Later, Matt & Luke went out to BWR where they met up with Miss Taylor and Abby and they had a wing-eating competition – Taylor won! 😊 They came back to the house afterward and Taylor spent the night with us. We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp18.05.168 smp18.05.169 smp18.05.170 smp18.05.171 smp18.05.172 smp18.05.173 smp18.05.174 smp18.05.175 smp18.05.176 smp18.05.177 smp18.05.178 smp18.05.179 smp18.05.180 smp18.05.181 smp18.05.182 smp18.05.183 smp18.05.184 smp18.05.185 smp18.05.186 smp18.05.187 smp18.05.188 smp18.05.189 smp18.05.190 smp18.05.191 smp18.05.192 smp18.05.193 smp18.05.194 smp18.05.195 smp18.05.196 smp18.05.197 smp18.05.198 smp18.05.199 smp18.05.200 smp18.05.201 smp18.05.202 smp18.05.203 smp18.05.204 smp18.05.205 smp18.05.206 smp18.05.207 smp18.05.208 smp18.05.209 smp18.05.210 smp18.05.211 smp18.05.212 smp18.05.213 smp18.05.214 smp18.05.215 smp18.05.216 smp18.05.217 smp18.05.218 smp18.05.219 smp18.05.220 smp18.05.221 smp18.05.222 smp18.05.223 smp18.05.224 smp18.05.225 smp18.05.226 smp18.05.227 smp18.05.228 smp18.05.229 smp18.05.230 smp18.05.231 smp18.05.232 smp18.05.233 smp18.05.234 smp18.05.235 smp18.05.236 smp18.05.237

It stormed overnight, keeping everyone awake in the wee hours of the morning. It settled down eventually and we got to sleep in a little on Sunday morning before getting up to prepare for the day we’ve been anticipating for a long time – Abby’s graduation party. It was dark and a little humid when we first got up and got going, but the clouds quickly parted and turned out to be amazing. We held it at High Point Orchard, on the outside of town near the Honda plant. Ann & I loaded up the Betty’s (Black & White) with our stuff and headed over a couple hours early to set up. I brought Luke with me to help me set up the outside while Ann took care of the inside. Abby followed in the Crossfire and Matt & Taylor eventually made it there much later in the afternoon (you know those twenty-somethings…they run on their own time). It was a beautiful location and a picture-perfect day. We heard several compliments and we’d highly recommend the site as well. The owner was very easy to work with and she took good care of us. We had a nice turnout of about 150 – 200 friends and family throughout the 4-hour celebration of everything Abigail. We kept the food simple – some sandwiches, pasta salad, veggies & dip, fruit salad and Mary’s homemade cupcakes! Ann mainly manned the inside for most of the time while I spent the most of my time outside on the back deck where we had a keg, a cooler and some tunes set up. Thanks to Bryan & Angie for loaning the sound system and the monster rolling cooler. The time absolutely flew and before we knew it, we were packing up and heading back home. It was quite the whirlwind and we were so pleased to see the family and friends that turned out to see our little Bu – Dad & Lynn, Sharon, Katie & Reece; Mom & Sandy, Dee, Jamie & Grace; Dad & Barb, Chuck & Cindy, Kimmy, Vicki, Brayden & Gavin; Bryan, Angie & Drew, Shawn, Ali, Ky & Adele, Pat, Shawna & Chance, Ted, Shawna & the girls, Mike, Natalie & Brody, Stacey & Devin, Amy & Baili and many, many others as well as numerous friends of Abby’s and even a couple teachers! Afterward, we came home and Abby opened cards and presents then we met Dad, Lynn & Aunt Sharon at ElRep again for dinner and drinks. Abby invited Trevin, but he had other plans. Matt and Taylor joined us for dinner. That big group was a lot of fun! It has been so nice to spend time with everyone. By the time we got home, we were all pretty tired. Matt & Taylor took a nap. I fell asleep on the couch. Dad & the girls went back to the hotel. Ann could barely move because her knees were so swollen. The day took so much out of us that we decided to just call it a night and work on finishing that keg tomorrow. Luke went out playing with his friends in the neighborhood and ended up staying the night at Tyler’s house. Abby & Trevin played cornhole out in the backyard until Matt & Taylor got up. I have no idea how late those four stayed up as Ann & I fell into bed and were instantly asleep. What a week it was and what a day to remember. The lady at High Point Orchard summed it up nicely, saying, “One day when (Abby) is older, she’ll realize that she had a ‘Norman Rockwell’ upbringing.” We thought that was so sweet and quite fitting for all that Abby has accomplished in the first part of her life…

Next up is our Waybac section, which continues to feature the last several pictures of our last batch of photo albums. We lead off with a few more pictures of our Florida vacation in May 2002 – first poolside at the Sand Pebble in Treasure Island and then at Walt Disney World in Orlando. Next, we head to December 2002 – Ann & I on Christmas morning; Matt at Cookies with Santa in Columbus and Matt playing basketball at the Y; and finally we have a few pictures of Dad & Rob (and Tuffy) during our visit up to Rossville in January 2003.

Waybac.2002.05.fvspp21 Waybac.2002.05.fvspp22 Waybac.2002.05.fvspp23 Waybac.2002.05.fvspp24 Waybac.2002.05.fvwdw97 Waybac.2002.05.fvwdw98 Waybac.2002.05.fvwdw99 Waybac.2002.05.fvwdw100 Waybac.2002.12.cd48 Waybac.2002.12.cd49 Waybac.2002.12.cd50 Waybac.2002.12.cd51 Waybac.2002.12.cws07 Waybac.2002.12.cws08 Waybac.2002.12.myba04 Waybac.2002.12.myba05 Waybac.2003.01.vtmad11 Waybac.2003.01.vtmad12 Waybac.2003.01.vtmad13 Waybac.2003.01.vtmad14

Next up is our video segment, which features five new family home movies this week as well as several from around the internet.

Well, that does it for this episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We missed you so much this week, Momma…
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply