Babe (Ruth) I’m Gonna Leave You

It was a slower week this time out, for the Scheu family. Luke enjoyed Moratorium Week, meaning he had no sports of any type since we last touched base. It was a great break for him that allowed him to do what kids are supposed to do in the summertime: run around with friends outdoors, ride bikes, go swimming, play with guns in the woods, spend the night at friends’ houses and have them spend the night with you. It was also a nice respite for the parents and family as they didn’t have to play the role of taxi driver for a week. Starting next week, it will officially be football season. After talking with Bryan, it is looking more and more like Luke has likely played his final Babe Ruth game. I just don’t think the coaches have the time to put together an all-start team and I doubt that Luke will play league ball next year. Abby worked full time at Wings and spent time with her friends and boyfriend. Matt started summer school, worked full time at Aspen and spent time with his girlfriend. Ann seemed to get around a little better this week and enjoyed life at a slower pace this week. I met my walking goal of 15 miles this week and did better (holidays aside) with my diet as well. We hosted a small party for the first time in a very long time and enjoyed entertaining in the backyard with a handful of close friends. We enjoyed all the annual traditions of another 4th of July, here in the ‘Burg…but it was weird to not have a kid in the parade this year. It made me feel old. We had heat advisories most of the week but thankfully caught some relief this weekend. Hello again and welcome to the latest installment of the Scheu Family Blog.

On Monday, Matt was up early for work – followed by Ann & I shortly afterward. Abby had Mary over last night and the two of them enjoyed sleeping in that morning. Luke also enjoyed sleeping in on another hot, humid day. It was his first day of a much-needed week off from all sports. I had a long day at work then walked a 5K that afternoon. We picked up Luke from the city pool and I ran to Walmart to get food and supplies for the week. Later, I spent the evening scanning a new batch of Waybac photos from 2003 until well into the next morning. Here are pictures from the first game of Luke’s baseball tourney last week.

lp18.07.02 lbtog18.01 lbtog18.02 lbtog18.03 lbtog18.04 lbtog18.05 lbtog18.06 lbtog18.07 lbtog18.08 lbtog18.09 lbtog18.10 lbtog18.11 lbtog18.12 lbtog18.13 lbtog18.14 lbtog18.15 lbtog18.16 lbtog18.17 lbtog18.18 lbtog18.19 lbtog18.20 lbtog18.21 lbtog18.22 lbtog18.23 lbtog18.24 lbtog18.25 lbtog18.26 lbtog18.27 lbtog18.28 lbtog18.29 lbtog18.30 lbtog18.31 lbtog18.32 lbtog18.33 lbtog18.34 lbtog18.35 lbtog18.36 lbtog18.37 lbtog18.38 lbtog18.39 lbtog18.40 lbtog18.41 lbtog18.42 lbtog18.43 lbtog18.44 lbtog18.45 lbtog18.46 lbtog18.47 lbtog18.48 lbtog18.49 lbtog18.50 lbtog18.51 lbtog18.52 lbtog18.53 lbtog18.54 lbtog18.55 lbtog18.56 lbtog18.57 lbtog18.58 lbtog18.59 lbtog18.60 lbtog18.61 lbtog18.62

We enjoyed a quick day on Tuesday. I stormed all around me as I walked three miles that hot, humid afternoon with the heat index well above 100. Between the sweat and the rain, I was completely soaked on our ride home. We came home and prepped for a small fireworks party as Ann invited a few of our close friends over for some porch time. While Ann cooked some goodies in the kitchen, I cleaned up the backyard, set up the gazebo and an industrial fan from work that made a huge difference out there on such a stifling evening. I set up the cornhole set at the back fence and ran to the liquor store for a few last-minute goodies. We had Bryan & Angie, Pat & Shawna, Bob & Pam, Shawn & Adele and Bryan’s cousin & her two cuties over for a fairly tame evening. We played cornhole the entire evening, ate some great food (mini sandwiches, corn dip, lots of chips and pub mix – Luke’s fave, Shawna’s lasagna dip and other goodies I can’t even remember now – I wonder why?) and enjoyed plenty of spirits – oh, that’s probably why! We didn’t have our normal fireworks display this year, enjoying time with our friends and watching the neighbors’ instead – which wasn’t much this year, unfortunately. However we did have a few big boomers (as Luke used to call them) – Rise in the East, Ground Bloom Flower and Aliens – all of them were obnoxiously loud! ???? We had forgotten how much that damn new house out back blocks our view of the fireworks at the fairgrounds. The lower ones and the ground ones were completely blocked but we could still see the bigger ones that went higher. The bad part about that was that the city’s display wasn’t as good as in years past and didn’t last very long – especially the larger, aerial ones. Pat & I were undefeated all night until the last game when Matthew & Angie knocked us off to remain the reigning champs (they won the last time we played too). Their victory was chalked up to a mix of too much indulgence from Pat & I and Angie’s “country??? was showing by that time of the evening! ???? All in all, it was a fun night that we really, really enjoyed. I just wish I had gotten more pictures and videos of the night! Drew ended up spending the night with Luke as Bryan & Angie drove home in their ATV. I’ll have to talk to him about that yard job he did when he left! Here are pictures of Luke & Drew’s championship baseball game last week.

lbcg18.01 lbcg18.02 lbcg18.03 lbcg18.04 lbcg18.05 lbcg18.06 lbcg18.07 lbcg18.08 lbcg18.09 lbcg18.10 lbcg18.11 lbcg18.12 lbcg18.13 lbcg18.14 lbcg18.15 lbcg18.16 lbcg18.17 lbcg18.18 lbcg18.19 lbcg18.20 lbcg18.21 lbcg18.22 lbcg18.23 lbcg18.24 lbcg18.25 lbcg18.26 lbcg18.27 lbcg18.28 lbcg18.29 lbcg18.30 lbcg18.31 lbcg18.32 lbcg18.33 lbcg18.34 lbcg18.35 lbcg18.36 lbcg18.37 lbcg18.38 lbcg18.39 lbcg18.40 lbcg18.41 lbcg18.42 lbcg18.43 lbcg18.44 lbcg18.45 lbcg18.46 lbcg18.47 lbcg18.48 lbcg18.49 lbcg18.50 lbcg18.51 lbcg18.52 lbcg18.53 lbcg18.54 lbcg18.55 lbcg18.56 lbcg18.57 lbcg18.58 lbcg18.59 lbcg18.60 lbcg18.61 lbcg18.62 lbcg18.63 lbcg18.64 lbcg18.65 lbcg18.66 lbcg18.67 lbcg18.68 lbcg18.69 lbcg18.70 lbcg18.71

We were up early for the 4th of July parade uptown on Wednesday morning. Only Luke joined us that morning as Matt & Abby were too tired to get up. We parked at Amy’s house and visited with her & Baili for a little while. They have the cutest puppy named Mabel. We walked over together and sat in our usual spot, though we were a little late to sit in the front row. It was a smaller parade than in years’ past – in fact it seems to get smaller every year. It was weird not having anyone in the parade this year, though we did know most of the girls on the Pirateers float and got to see Drew play in the county marching band. We came home for a little while then went to Mom & Sandy’s for lunch, as usual. Between Mom, Dee, Ann & Amy, it was amazing as always. We had homemade mac & cheese, buffalo chicken dip, corn dip, baked beans, sloppy joe, potato salad, pasta salad, fruit salad, cucumber salad, lunchmeat & cheeses, bacon-wrapped brussels sprouts, chips out the wazoo and some sort of apple snicker dessert…yum! We watched the Nathan’s Famous Hot Dogs eating competition and Joey Chestnut won again, setting the record at 74! Nothing says ‘Merica like eating 74 hot dogs in 10 minutes on Independence Day! Later, we came home and took naps while catching up on DVR’ed shows. Although Matt did not make it the parade, he did join us for lunch then left for Taylor’s house afterward – staying the night with her. Abby eventually got up and worked at Wings & Rings. She came home later and took a nap before going out with Regan and ended up staying the night at her & Trevin’s house. Luke loved Mabel and he held her for most of the parade. Ann thinks we need one just like her. After napping, Ann ran Luke out to Connor’s house to spend the night. That meant Ann & I had a quiet, kid-free, night of staying cool in the living room, watching a couple movies on the big screen and taking it easy. Here are pictures of what is likely Luke’s final Babe Ruth-level baseball game.

lblg18.00 lblg18.0 lblg18.01 lblg18.02 lblg18.03 lblg18.04 lblg18.05 lblg18.06 lblg18.07 lblg18.08 lblg18.09 lblg18.10 lblg18.11 lblg18.12 lblg18.13 lblg18.14 lblg18.15 lblg18.16 lblg18.17 lblg18.18 lblg18.19 lblg18.20 lblg18.21 lblg18.22 lblg18.23 lblg18.24 lblg18.25 lblg18.26 lblg18.27 lblg18.28 lblg18.29 lblg18.30 lblg18.31 lblg18.32 lblg18.33 lblg18.34 lblg18.35 lblg18.36 lblg18.37 lblg18.38 lblg18.39 lblg18.40 lblg18.41 lblg18.42 lblg18.43 lblg18.44 lblg18.45 lblg18.46 lblg18.47 lblg18.48 lblg18.49 lblg18.50 lblg18.51 lblg18.52 lblg18.53 lblg18.54 lblg18.55 lblg18.56 lblg18.57 lblg18.58 lblg18.59 lblg18.60 lblg18.61 lblg18.62 lblg18.63 lblg18.64 lblg18.65 lblg18.66 lblg18.67 lblg18.68 lblg18.69

It was back to work for Ann & I on Thursday morning. It was yet more of the heat and humidity – God bless the man who invented air conditioning! After a good day at work, I walked a 5K in a light shower. Abby worked at BWR. Matt stayed up in Centerville with Ms. Taylor until late, driving home in the middle of the night. Luke came back from Connor’s house to do a few chores then went to spend the night at Skylar’s house. Ann enjoyed a girls’ night out with Kristie at ElRep. Abs went to play putt-putt with Molie and then they took Luke & Skylar to the movies before ending up at the White’s again. That meant that I had the house to myself. I took that opportunity to begin watching season one of the new Star Trek Discovery series in peace with the dogs in the A/C on the big screen with the volume turned up nice and loud…

Everyone headed back to work on Friday morning. It was a little cooler and the humidity was a little lower, but it was still in the upper 80s. Thankfully, there was a great breeze and it allowed me to stay cool as I walked 4.5 miles around the airport property after work. Matt came home late last night then was up early for work at Aspen Place. He came home and took a short nap before going out to ElRep to meet up with Bu. Abs got home sometime early that morning then worked at BWR. She came home only for a moment and was called back to work that evening in the kitchen. She got off early and met up with Matt at ElRep. Luke came home from Skylar’s house and ended up having him come over to play air soft in the woods and ended up staying the night with us. Ann made dinner for us…and it was damn good. She made a deconstructed chicken cordon bleu casserole and some roasted corn and cheesy broccoli. There wasn’t much left afterward. After dinner, the boys spent several hours out in the woods, playing airsoft war games until well into the night. Bryan played at the Sherman House in Batesville with Nothin’ Fancy, but we didn’t make it over to see him. Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis18.07.01 sis18.07.02 sis18.07.03 sis18.07.04 sis18.07.05 sis18.07.06 sis18.07.07 sis18.07.08 sis18.07.09 sis18.07.10 sis18.07.11 sis18.07.12 sis18.07.13 sis18.07.14 sis18.07.15 sis18.07.16 sis18.07.17 sis18.07.18 sis18.07.19 sis18.07.20 sis18.07.21 sis18.07.22 sis18.07.23 sis18.07.24 sis18.07.25 sis18.07.26 sis18.07.27 sis18.07.28 sis18.07.29 sis18.07.30 sis18.07.31 sis18.07.32 sis18.07.33 sis18.07.34 sis18.07.35 sis18.07.36 sis18.07.37 sis18.07.38 sis18.07.39 sis18.07.40 sis18.07.41 sis18.07.42 sis18.07.43 sis18.07.44 sis18.07.45 sis18.07.46 sis18.07.47 sis18.07.48 sis18.07.49 sis18.07.50 sis18.07.51 sis18.07.52 sis18.07.53

We slept in a little on Saturday morning then I got Luke & Skylar up to do some yardwork. We loaded up the yard tools in Betty White and ran a few errands before heading over to Mom & Sandy’s house to mow & trim. We grabbed some snacks at the BP on our way home and then mowed / trimmed at our house. Thanks to the boys for mowing today while I trimmed. It was a beautiful day. The humidity finally subsided and the temps were considerably lower. The boys jumped in the back of the truck and I ran them back to Skyler’s house, where Luke spent the night again. Abby had the morning off. I took Tonya to get its oil changed and give her a bath before Abby worked second shift at Wings & Rings. Matt went in to work at Aspen and then drove straight up to Taylor’s house to spend the night. That left Ann & I with a quiet house yet again. This is becoming more and more regular – something I’m not sure we’re ready for just yet. We finished up watching the 1st season of Star Trek Discovery, which I thought was excellent. I look forward to the 2nd season coming next year! In between naps that afternoon, we watched some mixed martial arts (UFC Ultimate Fighter finale), racing (Firecracker 500 – what a finish – shame on NASCAR for disallowing the 24’s last-second pass for the win), Stargate, Wonder Woman and 1st three episodes of a new show called Take Two.

We enjoyed sleeping in on Sunday morning before getting up to do our weekly household chores. The house was quiet with all the kids out of the house for most of the day. Matt went with Taylor to the Cincinnati water park called The Beach. We haven’t been there since Luke was little. Abby worked a double shift at Buffalo Wings & Rings. Luke eventually came home from Skylar’s house that evening after spending the day shooting guns and swimming in the quarry. Ann & I were mostly lazy, napping on and off all day as we watched our DVR’ed shows – classic sci-fi (Start Trek, Battlestar Galactica), racing (NASCAR race from Daytona last night – what a cool wreck-fest!), MMA (UFC 226 from last night), Ancient Aliens and a new show called Sharp Objects. Ann made chili for dinner. It was very relaxing and a wonderful way to wind down the week and get ready for a busier week starting tomorrow. Football season, here we come! We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp18.07.01 smp18.07.02 smp18.07.03 smp18.07.04 smp18.07.05 smp18.07.06 smp18.07.07 smp18.07.08 smp18.07.09 smp18.07.10 smp18.07.11 smp18.07.12 smp18.07.13 smp18.07.14 smp18.07.15 smp18.07.16 smp18.07.17 smp18.07.18 smp18.07.19 smp18.07.20 smp18.07.21 smp18.07.22 smp18.07.23 smp18.07.24 smp18.07.25 smp18.07.26 smp18.07.27 smp18.07.28 smp18.07.29 smp18.07.30 smp18.07.31 smp18.07.32 smp18.07.33 smp18.07.34 smp18.07.35 smp18.07.36 smp18.07.37 smp18.07.38 smp18.07.39 smp18.07.40 smp18.07.41 smp18.07.42 smp18.07.43 smp18.07.44 smp18.07.45 smp18.07.46 smp18.07.47 smp18.07.48 smp18.07.49

Next up, we have our first batch of our newest round of photo album scans for our Waybac section. These are from book # 16 of 18 – so we’re getting near the end of the film years. It was shortly after this that we started making the leap to digital photography (that should make it MUCH easier to collect new Waybac photos). These are all from 2003: the kids & I at Monster Jam in Indy in January; Matt wrestling at the Fieldhouse in February; Matt’s birthday at our home in March; Luke’s birth in Columbus in June; the Independence Day parade uptown in July; Abby’s birthday party at our home in September; Labor Day weekend – back to school, “camping out??? in the fire truck tent and Ryan’s birthday party in September; and the Scheu Family Christmas at John & June’s house and Dad & Barb’s cabin in Lafayette in December.

Waybac.2003.01.mj01 Waybac.2003.01.mj02 Waybac.2003.01.mj03 Waybac.2003.01.mj04 Waybac.2003.02.mw01 Waybac.2003.02.mw02 Waybac.2003.02.mw03 Waybac.2003.02.mw04 Waybac.2003.03.mbd01 Waybac.2003.03.mbd02 Waybac.2003.03.mbd03 Waybac.2003.03.mbd04 Waybac.2003.06.lb01 Waybac.2003.06.lb02 Waybac.2003.06.lb03 Waybac.2003.06.lb04 Waybac.2003.07.fojp01 Waybac.2003.07.fojp02 Waybac.2003.07.fojp03 Waybac.2003.07.fojp04 Waybac.2003.09.abd01 Waybac.2003.09.abd02 Waybac.2003.09.abd03 Waybac.2003.09.abd04 Waybac.2003.09.bts01 Waybac.2003.09.bts02 Waybac.2003.09.ldw01 Waybac.2003.09.rbd01 Waybac.2003.12.sfc01 Waybac.2003.12.sfc02 Waybac.2003.12.sfc03 Waybac.2003.12.sfc04

We end, as we do every week, with our video segment, which features three new home movies from this week as well as a few from around the internet.

And with that, we wrap up another edition of the Scheu Family Blog. Thank you as always for keeping up with us this week and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Comments are closed.