Then You’d See that it’s been Raining all Along

We had a long, wet week since we last touched base. It rained most of the week and we had some flooding in the area. This week, Matt stayed up at Kate & Jake’s and continued to co-teach in Zionsville. Abby stayed up at school this week – attending her classes, getting to know her classmates and adapting to living on her own. Luke had no JV game this week and only dressed for the varsity football game, meaning he had lots of pent-up aggression this week (and I think he may have been grounded at one point due to all that extra energy). Ann survived another week of ailing knees, dealt with the insurance company and college business office personnel and kept in contact with the kids so they didn’t seem so far away. I worked hard to cram five days into four, which is never easy but it was also the start of the month, which added extra work to my plate. Due to the short week, cruddy weather and worn-out running shoes, I fell short of my exercise goal with only 14 miles, falling just short of 15. Despite the short work week, the days dragged – probably due to the weather. I think I may have seasonal affective disorder! Hello and welcome to the latest installment of the Scheu Family Blog.

The kids had the day off school and Ann & I had Monday off for Labor Day. It was a hot and humid that we enjoyed sleeping in and enjoying the air conditioning. WE eventually got up and did our weekly household chores but otherwise took it easy all day. We watched Ancient Aliens and the Southern 500 in Darlington that we taped last night. Luke had to go in for football practice then went to the woods with his buddies to work on their fort. Ann cooked shish kebabs on the grill that were a-ma-zing! It was the perfect way to wrap up the unofficial last weekend of summer… Here are pictures of Luke’s junior varsity football game last week vs. Connersville.

lp18.09.01 lfjvc18.01 lfjvc18.02 lfjvc18.03 lfjvc18.04 lfjvc18.05 lfjvc18.06 lfjvc18.07 lfjvc18.08 lfjvc18.09 lfjvc18.10 lfjvc18.11 lfjvc18.12 lfjvc18.13 lfjvc18.14 lfjvc18.15 lfjvc18.16 lfjvc18.17 lfjvc18.18 lfjvc18.19 lfjvc18.20 lfjvc18.21 lfjvc18.22 lfjvc18.23 lfjvc18.24 lfjvc18.25 lfjvc18.26 lfjvc18.27 lfjvc18.28 lfjvc18.29 lfjvc18.30 lfjvc18.31a lfjvc18.31b lfjvc18.32 lfjvc18.33 lfjvc18.34 lfjvc18.35 lfjvc18.36 lfjvc18.37 lfjvc18.38 lfjvc18.39 lfjvc18.40 lfjvc18.41 lfjvc18.42 lfjvc18.43 lfjvc18.44 lfjvc18.45 lfjvc18.46 lfjvc18.47 lfjvc18.48 lfjvc18.49 lfjvc18.50 lfjvc18.51 lfjvc18.52 lfjvc18.53 lfjvc18.54 lfjvc18.55 lfjvc18.56 lfjvc18.57 lfjvc18.58 lfjvc18.59 lfjvc18.60 lfjvc18.61 lfjvc18.62 lfjvc18.63 lfjvc18.64 lfjvc18.65 lfjvc18.66 lfjvc18.67 lfjvc18.68 lfjvc18.69 lfjvc18.70 lfjvc18.71 lfjvc18.72 lfjvc18.73 lfjvc18.74 lfjvc18.75 lfjvc18.76 lfjvc18.77 lfjvc18.78

It was back to work and school for everyone on Tuesday morning. Matt got monitored by his supervisor from U Indy and she loved his lesson. She said he should be proud of himself – how cool is that? In between classes, Abby called and got an appointment set up for Tonya to get in to Jerry’s garage next week. Luke had football practice after school then went downtown with Drayden to Story’s for dinner (where his friend Taylor works). Afterward, they went to the varsity volleyball game at the high school. Ann coordinated insurance stuff in between putting out fires at work. That night she cooked…but it was a special meal for Dr. Dan’ birthday tomorrow. I had a fast day then walked four miles at the mall. We ran a couple errands when we got back to town then came home and got out of the heat/ humidity to relax in the A/C. Later that night, we watched the series premier of the new Purge TV show. It looks like a promising series…

Wednesday was another hot one. It rained on the way into work then continued on and off all day. It was a long day for Ann & I at work. It was stormy after work that afternoon, so I walked 3 miles at the mall. Luke had football practice after school then ran around the neighborhood with his pals before they all ended up back at our house for a while. Ann went out to dinner with her scrapbooking friends at the Brau House in Oldenburg that evening and had a great time. Here are pictures of Luke’s varsity football game last week vs. Connersville.

lfvc18.01 lfvc18.02 lfvc18.03 lfvc18.04 lfvc18.05 lfvc18.06 lfvc18.07 lfvc18.08 lfvc18.09 lfvc18.10 lfvc18.11 lfvc18.12 lfvc18.13 lfvc18.14 lfvc18.15 lfvc18.16 lfvc18.17 lfvc18.18 lfvc18.19

Thursday was another hot September day. Luke had a good day at school then attended football practice that evening. It was a short practice so they could have the traditional team dinner. He ended up running around with his neighborhood pals till dark. We noticed that it is getting darker sooner now. Abby wasn’t feeling well at school but toughed it out and went to all her classes. We’re not surprised that she has a touch of something as she has been introduced to all sorts of new bacteria and viruses that her body isn’t accustomed to as she meets all the new people in her life. Matt made a doctor’s appointment to address his lower abdominal pain. We’ll be interested to hear what becomes of it. I had a long day at work then walked a 5K at the mall as it looked like it would storm at any moment that afternoon as the remnants of the big hurricane down shout began moving through the area. Ann had a long day as well then went to dinner with Amy at Chilis.

Friday was another gloomy day but a very fast day at work. Justin & I went out to lunch with my maintenance guys at Camila’s. We really wanted to order margaritas but we were good boys and came back to work. I walked a 5K in the rain, around the airport property after work. Abby still wasn’t feeling well so Ann drove up to see her at FC and ended up taking her out for a little lunch and shopping therapy. Ann got a couple weird calls today about our children – Abby’ school had some issues with paperwork in the business office. As it turned out, there was some sort of computer glitch but they worked it out quickly and all is well. Luke’s Dean of Students called to let us know that there were rumors that included his name, regarding being involved in a fight club. Of course, it was far from the truth and completely blown out of proportion. The boys were simply talking about getting together to do some backyard boxing, complete with headgear and gloves…but it made for an interesting afternoon! Luke met up with Memaw for a little while after classes ended then returned to school to ride the bus to his varsity football game that night. Ann & I met up at home then drove down to Lawrenceburg to watch the Pirates face the Tigers on the turf in the rain! Luke did not get to play (we’re hoping he eventually gets to play on kickoff team) but it was a very exciting game! It went back and forth…but in the end, we won by a mere point – it was a hell of a contest! Here are pictures of Rob & Sharon’s recent excursions in Philly and NYC.

rsp18.01 rsp18.02 rsp18.03 rsp18.04 rsp18.05 rsp18.06 rsp18.07 rsp18.08 rsp18.09 rsp18.10 rsp18.11 rsp18.12 rsp18.13 rsp18.14 rsp18.15 rsp18.16 rsp18.17 rsp18.18 rsp18.19 rsp18.20 rsp18.21 rsp18.22 rsp18.23 rsp18.24 rsp18.25 rsp18.26 rsp18.27 rsp18.28 rsp18.29 rsp18.30 rsp18.31 rsp18.32 rsp18.33 rsp18.34 rsp18.35 rsp18.36 rsp18.37 rsp18.38 rsp18.39 rsp18.40 rsp18.41 rsp18.42 rsp18.43

We ended up sleeping in on a rainy Saturday morning. Unfortunately, we got rained out of mowing due to the remnants of Hurricane Gordon. I had to eventually wake up Luke so that we could go run errands. We changed the oil in Barney then went shoe shopping. Luke’s expertise came in handy as he helped me pick out a couple pairs of new shoes – one for work and everyday use and one for exercising. I stuck with the Fila and Asics combo again this year since it worked so well for me this past year. They both held up well for what I asked of them. From there, Luke drove us to lunch at Taco Bell then drove us downtown to do a little junking but found no new HWs. Next, we did some Wal-Mart shopping then he drove us home. Luke ran around with his buddies and I wrote-out bills for a couple hours – yuck! Meanwhile, Ann started cleaning up Abby’s room, which she left really messy as she left for school. By the time we got home, she was worn-out, eating popcorn and settled in for a good nap. We both talked to Abby today, who is acclimating pretty well to college life, especially with her friend Avery by her side. Later, the three of us went out for dinner and drinks at ElRep in the pouring rain. Luke spent the night at Chance’s house when we got home, which meant Ann & I had another quiet night at home. There’s been a lot more of those this fall… With all the constant moisture, all the activities up at the Brickyard today were cancelled. The inclement weather washed-out all the qualifications and the Xfinity-level race was postponed until Monday morning. I already have the DVR set. I wish they would run the road course instead of the oval – maybe they could alternate between the two configurations? I heard they had a quarter-mile dirt track race down by the Snake Pit on Thursday night, which sounded really cool! Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis18.09.01 sis18.09.02 sis18.09.04 sis18.09.05 sis18.09.06 sis18.09.07 sis18.09.08 sis18.09.09 sis18.09.10 sis18.09.11 sis18.09.12 sis18.09.13 sis18.09.14 sis18.09.15 sis18.09.16 sis18.09.17 sis18.09.18 sis18.09.19 sis18.09.20 sis18.09.21 sis18.09.22 sis18.09.23 sis18.09.24 sis18.09.25 sis18.09.26 sis18.09.27 sis18.09.28 sis18.09.29 sis18.09.30 sis18.09.31 sis18.09.32 sis18.09.33 sis18.09.34 sis18.09.35 sis18.09.36 sis18.09.37 sis18.09.38 sis18.09.39 sis18.09.40 sis18.09.41 sis18.09.42 sis18.09.43 sis18.09.44 sis18.09.45 sis18.09.46 sis18.09.47 sis18.09.48 sis18.09.49 sis18.09.50 sis18.09.51 sis18.09.52 sis18.09.53 sis18.09.54 sis18.09.55 sis18.09.56 sis18.09.57

It rained on and off all day on Sunday again. It was just like yesterday – gloomy and overcast. Ann slept in while I got up with the damn dogs, who had no children to sleep with…and those wet pooches weren’t coming in our room! It was still raining when I got up to watch the new MeTV Sci-Fi Saturday that I taped. Gone is the classic Star Trek series from the late 60s that I enjoyed so much and I wonder if Battlestar Galactica from the late ‘70s will follow-suit? They phased in a couple of other old favorites though – Space: 1999 from the mid-seventies and Buck Rogers in the 25th Century from the end of the seventies. It was a MUCH cooler day that was in the 50s! We obviously shut off the air and opened the house as we did our weekly household chores. The NFL schedule kicked off in full force today. We enjoyed watching the Colts, who had a heart-breaking loss and then about half of the Cowboys game as well as a little RedZone. I love watching RedZone at the end of the early games – with all the close games ending at the same time…it’s the most exciting half hour of football! I am struggling with the new helmet contact rules and how they are calling them. It is the most significant change in the rules since they took out clothesline hits. I’m not sure if I like that they threw the Bengal player out of the Colts game for targeting Andrew Luck. Granted, it helped the Colts and it is definitely a cheap hit and there should be consequences… but it’s a slippery slope. I don’t think officials should affect the outcome of a ball game and that’s what you open yourself up to with this rule. I wonder if we should go back to larger shoulder pads that make it more difficult to use the helmet? I do think you can clean-up the league but some leniency needs to be in there because incidental contact is still going to happen and I think intention has a lot to do with the spirit of the rule. And as a former defensive player, this new roughing the passer rule is something that I just can’t get onboard with…it is football, right? The Cowboys looked terrible on offense. The defense kept them in the game, but the offense is boring and predicable. Not sure who is calling the plays, but it’s the same ol’, same ol’. But what can you expect from an offense that traded away the face of the franchise and arguably it’s best player? Man, they really needed Dez today…especially on the final play of the game. He was the reason the running game worked as well as it did and the reason the other receives were effective – because defenses had to double team him. He made the players around him better because of the attention he received. In fact, they got rid of two excellent receivers, all their tight ends (OK, one retired), a great running back, a dominant lineman and then released one of the best kickers in the game…hmmm…I wonder why they struggled to score points? It’s going to be another long year, I’m afraid. I like Jason, but if he can’t turn it around, he probably needs to take another position in the organization and we need to get some fresh blood in there. In the late afternoon, Luke & I loaded up Betty White and headed over to Dee & Jamie’s to help them clean-up their back lot. We hauled out two truckloads of brush and it looks a hundred percent better back there now! It was also the 25th anniversary of the Brickyard 400 race today but it was also postponed to tomorrow due to the unusual weather. Normally it is unbearably hot for this race, but tomorrow it should be quite nice. That evening we watched the Bears and Packers. The Bears’ D-line looked outstanding in the first half and even knocked Rodgers out of the game! Mack was just traded by the Raiders last week and he had a dream half for Chicago – he recorded a sack, an interception, a touchdown, forced a fumble and recovered a fumble! Wow! We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp18.09.01 smp18.09.02 smp18.09.03 smp18.09.04 smp18.09.05 smp18.09.06 smp18.09.07 smp18.09.08 smp18.09.09 smp18.09.10 smp18.09.11 smp18.09.12 smp18.09.13 smp18.09.14 smp18.09.15 smp18.09.16 smp18.09.17 smp18.09.18 smp18.09.19 smp18.09.20 smp18.09.21 smp18.09.22

Next up is our Waybac section which continues to feature photo album #16 from late 2002 through 2003. We lead off this time in the second half of 2002: with a silly picture of Gigi & Grace in July; Matt with his Halloween costume at school in October; Megan’s 9 month picture in December; and Matt’s YMCA basketball picture in 2002 (I coached that little team). Then we move on 2003: Matt at wrestling practice at the Fieldhouse in February; Luke’s first few days – w/ Dr. George in Columbus and meeting Granny in Lafayette – both in June; the kids waiting to meet Luke at home and Matt’s baseball game on diamond 2, also in June; Abby’s birthday party at our home in September; decorating the Christmas tree in November; and then Donuts with Santa in Columbus and Christmas morning in Greensburg, both in December.

Waybac.2002.07.ggst2 Waybac.2002.10.mshc2 Waybac.2002.12.mpnmp2 Waybac.2002.12.mybp2 Waybac.2003.02.mw34 Waybac.2003.02.mw35 Waybac.2003.02.mw36 Waybac.2003.02.mw37 Waybac.2003.06.lada1 Waybac.2003.06.lb33 Waybac.2003.06.lb34 Waybac.2003.06.lb35 Waybac.2003.06.maal01 Waybac.2003.06.maal02 Waybac.2003.06.mbg01 Waybac.2003.06.mbg02 Waybac.2003.09.abd34 Waybac.2003.09.abd35 Waybac.2003.09.abd36 Waybac.2003.09.abd37 Waybac.2003.11.puxt03 Waybac.2003.12.cws05 Waybac.2003.12.cws06 Waybac.2003.12.cws07 Waybac.2003.12.sfcd01 Waybac.2003.12.sfcd02 Waybac.2003.12.sfcd03 Waybac.2003.12.sfcd04

We wrap up this week’s entry with our video segment which has four new home movies this week as well as several from around the internet.

And that does it for this week’s episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Comments are closed.