…You are Number Six

We had a long week, here at the Scheu abode. Matt had a full week of student-teaching up in Zionsville, spent time with Ms. Taylor at U Indy and made a visit home this weekend. Abby had her first full week of college classes at FC, spent most of her time with “her Stacey” (as Ann so aptly put it), had an issue with Tonya and tailgated at her first college football game. Luke saw action in his second varsity football game, played great in his JV football game against older boys, had another date and spent a lot of time with his buddies. Ann continued to struggle with her knees, coordinate car repairs with the insurance company and adapt to life with a house full of boys. I stayed even with my weight this week on my keto diet as I had a couple cheat days but managed to exceed my exercise goal by logging 16 miles this week. It was a hot one this week but still had lots of rain, meaning the grass grew faster than ever. We got to spend some time with our friends, which was great for the soul. We are in full football mode and loving every minute of it right now. Life is good. But on a more somber note, this week also saw the sixth anniversary of Mom’s passing, which brought out numerous wonderful memories and stories, keeping her alive and well in our hearts. Hello again and welcome to the latest installment of the Scheu Family Blog.

Dad & Lynn hit the road again on Monday morning, heading out to Missouri. I saw them off before I headed in to work for a fast day. No sooner did I get in and get to work then it was time for lunch. Justin & I went to lunch at Arni’s for a fundraiser. By the time we got back and got going again, it was time to leave and walk a 5K in 100° weather. I sweat my butt off that day! Luke rode in to school with Mary and her crew. He had a good day at school then had a long, sweaty practice as the coach made the boys run a lot after Friday night’s losing effort. He later ran around the neighborhood with his buddies after Memaw brought him home that evening. Ann enjoyed the day off and got things going with the insurance company to address the issues with Black Betty & Bébé after last weekend’s hail storm. Matt returned to co-teaching in Zionsville, staying with Katie and Jake. Abby attended her first day of school then called Ann that evening on Facetime. Ann made a big tossed salad for dinner and we watched TV (Fear the Walking Dead, Elementary, the season finale of Preacher and the series finale of Sharp Objects) until we fell asleep, enjoying the comfort of the A/C on a sweltering night. In Abby’s absence, the dogs are at a loss with what to do with themselves at bedtime. Although Molly has found a new home with Ann & I, Lola is still searching for her nighttime safe place. We are leaving Luke’s door ajar in hope’s she’ll find her way there eventually. Here are pictures from Abby’s move-in day last week.

lp18.08.05 amid18.01 amid18.02 amid18.03 amid18.04 amid18.05 amid18.06 amid18.07 amid18.08 amid18.09 amid18.10 amid18.11 amid18.12 amid18.13 amid18.14 amid18.15 amid18.16 amid18.17 amid18.18 amid18.19 amid18.20 amid18.21 amid18.22 amid18.26 amid18.27 amid18.28 amid18.29 amid18.30 amid18.31 amid18.32 amid18.33 amid18.34 amid18.35 amid18.24 amid18.25 amid18.23

The dogs didn’t know how to react on their “first day of school” – it was their first full day alone since the spring, I think. Ann headed back to work for the first day in nearly a week. She had a fast day but was ready to go before quitting time. I got my hair cut with Jami and walked a 5K after work on another hot, sweaty afternoon. When I got done, I noticed that I’d rubbed blisters on my feet where I’ve worn out my walking shoes and I need to replace them this week. Both have holes right on the balls of my feet and have rubbed a hole in my new socks. Luke rode to school with Mary and family again then had a long day of school before attending football practice. I guess coach challenged the upperclassmen to either increase the effort or he will start putting in younger, hungrier players to get the job done – which really encouraged Luke to keep working hard this week. We were pleased to learn that Abby attended Rush parties at the sororities. She is leaning towards Pi Phis, which doesn’t surprise us. Matt had another good day at teaching, but says he is worn-out by the time he is done each day. Welcome to my world, buddy! Working with the youth is very rewarding but also exhausting…

We headed in to work early on Wednesday due to a water heater leak at my facility. I couldn’t believe Ann was able to get going so quickly! I could get used to this… We got it all cleaned up and replaced by the early afternoon – but set the tone for a very long day. I went to the mall after work to get a new pair of walking shoes, but the shoe store was closed so I walked 2 ½ miles in the mall while the storm clouds gathered outside. It didn’t rain until after I picked up Ann and we got back into Decatur County, then it really let loose! Luke had a “boring” day at school then endured another hot football practice. He ran around the neighborhood with his buddies for a while after he got back home. Meanwhile, Ann and I took naps on the couch when we got home and watched a few TV shows that pretty much emptied our DVR…that means that our favorite fall shows are just around the bend! Here are pictures from Luke’s JV football game vs. Shelbyville last week.

lfsjv18.01 lfsjv18.02 lfsjv18.03 lfsjv18.04 lfsjv18.05 lfsjv18.06 lfsjv18.07 lfsjv18.08 lfsjv18.09 lfsjv18.10 lfsjv18.11 lfsjv18.12 lfsjv18.13 lfsjv18.14 lfsjv18.15 lfsjv18.16 lfsjv18.17 lfsjv18.18 lfsjv18.19 lfsjv18.20 lfsjv18.21 lfsjv18.22 lfsjv18.23 lfsjv18.24 lfsjv18.25 lfsjv18.26 lfsjv18.27 lfsjv18.28 lfsjv18.29 lfsjv18.30 lfsjv18.31 lfsjv18.32 lfsjv18.33 lfsjv18.34 lfsjv18.35 lfsjv18.36 lfsjv18.37 lfsjv18.38 lfsjv18.39 lfsjv18.40 lfsjv18.41 lfsjv18.42 lfsjv18.43 lfsjv18.44 lfsjv18.45 lfsjv18.46 lfsjv18.47 lfsjv18.48 lfsjv18.49 lfsjv18.50 lfjsv18.51 lfsjv18.52 lfsjv18.53 lfsjv18.54 lfsjv18.55 lfsjv18.56 lfsjv18.57 lfsjv18.58 lfsjv18.59 lfsjv18.60 lfsjv18.61 lfsjv18.62 lfsjv18.63 lfsjv18.64 lfsjv18.65 lfsjv18.66 lfsjv18.67 lfsjv18.68 lfsjv18.69 lfsjv18.70 lfsjv18.71 lfsjv18.72 lfsjv18.73 lfsjv18.74 lfsjv18.75 lfsjv18.76 lfsjv18.77 lfsjv18.78 lfsjv18.79 lfsjv18.80 lfsjv18.81 lfsjv18.82 lfsjv18.83 lfsjv18.84 lfsjv18.85 lfsjv18.86 lfsjv18.87 lfsjv18.88 lfsjv18.89 lfsjv18.90 lfsjv18.91 lfsjv18.92 lfsjv18.93 lfsjv18.94 lfsjv18.95 lfsjv18.96 lfsjv18.97 lfsjv18.98 lfsjv18.99 lfsjv18.100 lsfjv18.101 lfsjv18.102 lfsjv18.103 lfsjv18.104 lfsjv18.105 lfsjv18.106 lfsjv18.107 lfsjv18.108 lsfjv18.109 lfsjv18.110

Thursday was another long, hot day at work as I began my monthly EOC rounds. Ann’s knees were worse and she can’t get in to see her doc soon enough to get another round of shots. She will talk with him about putting together a plan for replacement surgery, which is both exciting and scary. I went to the mall for a new pair of shoes but had no luck. I stuck around to be a mall walker again for 2 ½ miles. I noticed that walking inside is much easier on my feet and worn out shoes so I may continue walking inside (much cooler, too!) until I get new kicks. Luke had a fast day at school then a short football practice so they could attend team dinner. That evening, he went running around the neighborhood with his buddies again until dark. Ann & I ran to the store after work to get stuff to make a big salad for dinner again. I had a strange dream that night where we were visited by Mom. I haven’t had dreams with her in them for a long time. I normally don’t remember my dreams and although I don’t recall all that happened, I do remember that she told me I needed to grow my hair longer – LOL!

Friday was yet another hot day this week. Mercifully, it went fast for both Ann & I. I had a good dental checkup before work, went to lunch with Justin & Victor at Culvers then did my final monthly EOC rounds before being a mall walker again and getting in about 3 ½ miles before I had to head home for Friday night lights. Matt & Abby both got new tats at college that evening. Originally, they were going to get matching ones but Abs ended up getting a manuscript one which spells out Love in Memaw’s handwriting. Matt’s has interconnected triangles, standing for the three siblings. It was Matt’s first but Bu’s second. Luke had a good day at school then dressed for the varsity football game vs. Connersville that night. Ann & I sat with all our friends – the Messers, the Nobbes, the Lowes…even the Burkerts & the Welages…it was just like old times! The Pirates looked good vs. the Spartans and jumped out to a nice lead of three TDs by halftime. The halftime show didn’t have the Pirateers but instead had the county marching band that performed their award-winning performance they did at the state fair, earlier this summer. Drew plays the snare drum in the band. By the time the 4th quarter rolled around, they were up by 4 TDs and the coaches started putting in a few younger boys little by little. Luke got to play middle linebacker for two or three series and made one tackle! That gives him 4 tackles on the year! Way to go, buddy!! The Pirates won 34-12 to bring their record to 2-1 on the year. Luke went out with his teammates to Pizza King after the game then stayed the night with Drayden. Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

lftcv18.01 lftcv18.02 lftcv18.03 lftcv18.04 lftcv18.05 sis18.08.208 sis18.08.209 sis18.08.210 sis18.08.211 sis18.08.212 sis18.08.213 sis18.08.214 sis18.08.215 sis18.08.216 sis18.08.217 sis18.08.218 sis18.08.219 sis18.08.220 sis18.08.221 sis18.08.222 sis18.08.223 sis18.08.224 sis18.08.225 sis18.08.226 sis18.08.227 sis18.08.228 sis18.08.229 sis18.08.230 sis18.08.231 sis18.08.232 sis18.08.233 sis18.08.234 sis18.08.235 sis18.08.236 sis18.08.237 sis18.08.238 sis18.08.239 sis18.08.240 sis18.08.241 sis18.08.242 sis18.08.243 sis18.08.244 sis18.08.245 sis18.08.246 sis18.08.247 sis18.08.248 sis18.08.249 sis18.08.250 sis18.08.251 sis18.08.252 sis18.08.253 sis18.08.254 sis18.08.255 sis18.08.256 sis18.08.257 sis18.08.258 sis18.08.259 sis18.08.260 sis18.08.261 sis18.08.262 sis18.08.263 sis18.08.264 sis18.08.265 sis18.08.266 sis18.08.267 sis18.08.268 sis18.08.269 sis18.08.270 sis18.08.271 sis18.08.272 sis18.08.273 sis18.08.274

Ann & I were up fairly early on Saturday morning to travel to Connersville for the junior varsity football game. We were surprised when we got there to find no one was there yet…not even the maintenance guys were there to open the gates. After a brief freak-out period, thinking we had a home game; Ann figured out we had the wrong time and were an hour early. So we went to breakfast to kill time and ended up at a Wendy’s, down in the ‘hood. It was interesting, especially when approached by a strange man in the parking lot. We survived and when we returned, we were pleased to see a full parking lot and the team bus! There was a good crowd on-hand for the visiting Pirates – about double that of the hometown fans. Luke started on defense, playing middle linebacker and calling the defensive plays the entire game. He was in on 15 tackles, recording 4 solos and assisting on 11 others. He also had 2 tackles for loss. He played about a quarter of the game on offense as the fullback, carrying the ball four times for 8 yards (0), (3), (2 – PAT), (3 – PAT) and even scored his first points of the year with a 2-point conversion! His first attempt was ruled no-good, even though replay showed that he reached the ball over the goal line while on top of another player. We were one official down that game and he would’ve helped in that situation to get it right… Luke also got to play on special teams. On the kickoff team he was the kicker for most of the 1st half (3 kicks for 130 yards – 40, 45 & 40) and a bonsai for the rest of the kicks (Drayden kicked in his absence). He played a lineman on the kickoff return team twice. The Pirates looked great. The offense was throwing the ball well, which opened up the running game and the defense even had a nice goal line stand! Greensburg was up 28-0 at the half and coasted to an easy win on a hot/humid day, 36-12 to increase their record to 2-1 on the year. We picked up Luke from school and came home to mow but instead it rained really hard so we all took naps instead. It rained on and off for several hours. Dray came over later to spend the night and the boys ordered Papa John’s pizza. Dray & his girlfriend and Luke & his friend Taylor were supposed to go to the movies on a double date. Unfortunately, it didn’t work out so they just stayed at our house. Meanwhile, Ann & I got together with our friends for a fun night at the Sunken Boat Bar. Ann made bacon-wrapped roasted carrots and cheesy broccoli rice. It was the same four couples from the night before plus the Bainbridges and Bewleys. Shawn smoked a couple huge meatloaves and everyone else brought tons of side dishes. I ate way too much and enjoyed a few cocktails with the boys around the bar, watching college football games on the big screen. Later, we moved outside to sit around the new bonfire pit, down by the pond and had a bourbon and a cigar until Ann said it was time to leave.

We enjoyed sleeping in on Sunday. It was the sixth anniversary of Mom’s death. We certainly do miss her. Dad, Rob & I touched base and all had the same feeling. Matt & Taylor came to visit us that morning after they took Bébé to get inspected by the insurance adjuster. They set up a special tent after declaring last week’s hail storm a catastrophe, due to all the damage it caused. Later, Ann had an appointment for Black Betty out there too; and as we predicted, they were both a total loss. With such high mileage on the cars, we’re not surprised. We keep them both well-maintained but 300K miles are 300K miles, so we’ll have to discuss our next steps with our agent. Luke & I mowed & trimmed at Mom & Sandy’s house then did the same back here at the house on an incredibly hot day. Matt & Taylor visited with Memaw at her house for a while then stopped to see Gigi at the radio station and ended up recording an ad as well as a couple station ID promos for WTRE! Sandy is getting me the audio so that I can put together some sort of video of their adventure. After Luke & I got cleaned-up, we all went out for a big lunch at ElRep then came home to nap. Matt & Taylor returned to the U Indy campus later that afternoon. Luke ran around the neighborhood with his friends until late, when they all came back here to hang out until midnight. Ann & I were couch potatoes, watching races and several classic TV shows on METV (Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Wonder Woman, Charlie’s Angels). Next week, they are getting Buck Rogers in the 25th Century and I can’t wait! Later that evening, Abby called us with a car issue. Apparently, Tonya is having some sort of electrical issue at startup where it runs really rough and all her dials and dash lights go wild. Eventually it calms down and runs fine but we’re worried she’ll end up getting stuck somewhere so we encouraged her to park it and not drive it until she comes home for her birthday and we can get a chance to look it over. We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp18.08.180 smp18.08.181 smp18.08.182 smp18.08.183 smp18.08.184 smp18.08.185 smp18.08.186 smp18.08.187 smp18.08.188 smp18.08.189 smp18.08.190 smp18.08.191 smp18.08.192 smp18.08.193 smp18.08.194 smp18.08.195 smp18.08.196 smp18.08.197 smp18.08.198 smp18.08.199 smp18.08.200 smp18.08.201 smp18.08.202 smp18.08.203 smp18.08.204 smp18.08.205 smp18.08.206 smp18.08.207 smp18.08.208 smp18.08.209 smp18.08.210 smp18.08.211 smp18.08.212 smp18.08.213 smp18.08.214 smp18.08.215 smp18.08.216 smp18.08.217 smp18.08.218 smp18.08.219

Next up is our Waybac section which continues to feature photo album #16. We lead off with Ann and I at her annual office Christmas party in Columbus, Ann & Mom in our living room on Christmas morning and Matt with his schoolmates at the old folks’ home, singing carols for the residents in December 2002; then more of Matt at wrestling practice in February 2003; Luke’s first few days – this time visiting Granny in Lafayette with Dad & Barb in June 2003; Matt at Washington Fields for a soccer game in June 2003; Abby & friends at her birthday party at our house in September 2003; Mom’s birthday party at our home in November 2003; and Christmas morning in Ryle Addition in December 2003.

Waybac.2002.12.awc01 Waybac.2002.12.awc02 Waybac.2002.12.cd77 Waybac.2002.12.mssaofh01 Waybac.2003.02.mw30 Waybac.2003.02.mw31 Waybac.2003.02.mw32 Waybac.2003.02.mw33 Waybac.2003.06.lb29 Waybac.2003.06.lb30 Waybac.2003.06.lb31 Waybac.2003.06.lb32 Waybac.2003.06.msg02 Waybac.2003.06.msg03 Waybac.2003.06.msg04 Waybac.2003.06.msg05 Waybac.2003.09.abd30 Waybac.2003.09.abd31 Waybac.2003.09.abd32 Waybac.2003.09.abd33 Waybac.2003.11.mobd01 Waybac.2003.11.mobd02 Waybac.2003.11.mobd03 Waybac.2003.11.mobd04 Waybac.2003.12.ofce17 Waybac.2003.12.ofce18 Waybac.2003.12.ofce19 Waybac.2003.12.ofce20

Next up is our video section which features two new home movies as well as several from around the internet.

And that does it for this week’s entry in the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply