It’s a Game to take Your Breath Away

What a week, what a week! The older kids finished up their first semesters and came home for Christmas Break. They both took advantage of the down time to work and make some spending money. While we wait to see their report cards and results from finals week, Luke continued a full week of classes and played two sports, including a thrilling basketball game that was easily his best of the year so far. Ann had a busy week at work with lots of meetings and finalized her plans for surgery. I fell well short of my exercise goal this week, only getting in a little over ten miles of walking. However, I enjoyed two more Christmas parties and a couple great times out with my friends this week. We got one car back from Jerry only to lose another – we can’t win for losing! The weather was generally cold and wet with a lot of rain and temps ranging from the teens to the upper 40s. It was a fast week and now there’s only 7 more shopping days to get your favorite blogger that perfect gift! Hello again and welcome to the latest installment of the Scheu Family Blog.

We had a cold start to the week on Monday morning with temps only in the teens. Matt began his final week of 1st semester – although he didn’t have any finals, he did a few projects due. Abby kicked off her first Finals Week with a big exam. She also got all her stuff moved into her new room in Elsey. Luke had school and then went to basketball practice. Afterwards, he went to the YMCA with Shiv & Tyler to work out and shoot free throws. Meanwhile, Ann & I went back to work. I walked about a 5K at the mall. On the way home, we picked up the boys and ran them all home. That evening, I scanned photo album #17 (of 18), which held about 600 of our Walt Disney World vacation pictures in 2004, when we stayed at the Contemporary. Ann enjoyed a quiet night, basking in the aura of the Christmas tree and promptly fell asleep by 8 while I worked out at the desk in the family room – which drove the dogs nutty. Luke got his room cleaned up and ready for Matt to come home for break then played some Fortnight until late. Here are pictures from Ann’s Christmas party last weekend.

lp18.12.03 axp18.01 axp18.02 axp18.03 axp18.04 axp18.05 axp18.06 axp18.07 axp18.08 axp18.09 axp18.10 axp18.11 axp18.12 axp18.13 axp18.14 axp18.15 axp18.16 axp18.17 axp18.18 axp18.19 axp18.20 axp18.21 axp18.22 axp18.23 axp18.24 axp18.25 axp18.26 axp18.27 axp18.28 axp18.29 axp18.30 axp18.31 axp18.32 axp18.33 axp18.34

The start of Tuesday was very much a repeat of Monday with frost on the vehicle windows. Luke had a dental appointment before school, causing him to miss football practice again. I spoke to Jerry, who was still working on Black Betty’s electrical system for us. Luke had basketball practice after school then he stayed late to watch the girls’ basketball game. Ann had a long day at work whereas mine went fast then I walked a 5K outside on the airport property for the first time in a few weeks. It was good to get outside again. Ann made a quick dinner of chicken salad, which really hit the spot that night.

We had a warmer start on Wednesday. Luke had school and basketball practice again. Abby had a big chemistry final and then began working out some drama at school with a professor. I talked to Matt to see if he wanted to come down early and join me with the guys tomorrow night, but he decided to spend his extra day with Ms. Taylor (who can blame him??). Ann & I had fast days at work then I walked about a 5K on a surprisingly warm afternoon. During my walk, I spoke to Jerry who has our Pacifica about ready to go and we hope to have it by the weekend. We stopped by the store to get stuff for Ann, who was kind enough to cook food for me to take to work tomorrow and to Bryan’s house tomorrow night. I talked to Dad B that evening, who was gearing up to fly from Jersey to Missouri for a few days. Next, he is headed down to Florida before embarking on a cross-country trek with Ms. Lynn! Here are behind-the-scenes pictures of our family picture day last weekend. You may have seen a couple previews on Facebook this week. We hope to get all the photos from Farren very soon…

fp18.01 fp18.02 fp18.03 fp18.04 fp18.05 fp18.06 fp18.07 fp18.08 fp18.09 fp18.10 fp18.11 fp18.12 fp18.13 fp18.14 fp18.15 fp18.16 fp18.17 fp18.18 fp18.19 fp18.20 fp18.21 fp18.22 fp18.23 fp18.24 fp18.25

It rained off and on throughout the day on Thursday. Luke had a good day at school. Abby worked in Indy then came home that evening for Christmas Break. Matt had his last day of classes at U Indy then stayed the night with Taylor. Ann had a full day of meetings, including a doctor appointment with Guse to finalize her knee replacement surgery date. I had a fast day at work with our annual Christmas party in the afternoon. We left Columbus early – before I had a chance to walk – to drive to Aurora to watch Luke and the freshman boys’ basketball team face the South Dearborn Knights. Luke started at power forward and got much more playing time – and it paid off as he probably played his best game since his 7th grade season! It was a close contest and it all came down to the last few moments of the game when Grayson hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer to send the game into overtime! The boys quickly took the lead in the extra period and held on to win by one point! Luke’s stats: offensively he had 8 points on 3-5 shooting from the floor and 2-3 from the charity stripe. He also had an assist to go with three turnovers. Defensively, he had 8 rebounds & a pair of tip-outs. He forced 3 turnovers, had 3 steals and a block to go with three fouls. Great game, Lucas – welcome back, buddy! Afterward, we came home so I could start prepping the game film and Luke caught a ride home with Tyler and his family. I headed over to the Sunken Boat Bar for our weekly Poker Night with my friends. We had another nice spread of food, the final Thursday Night football game of the year and a ton of laughs and spirits. For once, I was the big winner that night! I came home afterward and uploaded & shared tonight’s game film for the freshman players and parents. Here are pictures from the WTRE Christmas parade last weekend.

xp18.01 xp18.02 xp18.03 xp18.04 xp18.05 xp18.06 xp18.07 xp18.08 xp18.09 xp18.10 xp18.11 xp18.12 xp18.13 xp18.14 xp18.15 xp18.16 xp18.17 xp18.18 xp18.19 xp18.20 xp18.21 xp18.22 xp18.23 xp18.24 xp18.25 xp18.26 xp18.27 xp18.28 xp18.29 xp18.30 xp18.31 xp18.32 xp18.33 xp18.34 xp18.35 xp18.36 xp18.37 xp18.38 xp18.39 xp18.40 xp18.41 xp18.42 xp18.43 xp18.44 xp18.45 xp18.46 xp18.47 xp18.48 xp18.49 xp18.50 xp18.51 xp18.52 xp18.53 xp18.54 xp18.55 xp18.56 xp18.57 xp18.58 xp18.59 xp18.60 xp18.61 xp18.62 xp18.63 xp18.64 xp18.65 xp18.66 xp18.67 xp18.68 xp18.69 xp18.70 xp18.71 xp18.72 xp18.73 xp18.74 xp18.75 xp18.76 xp18.77 xp18.78 xp18.79 xp18.80 xp18.81 xp18.82 xp18.83

Luke was up early and out the door on Friday morning for football practice before school. After a long day of classes, he had basketball practice that afternoon. He stayed late to attend the girls’ basketball game. Ann & I had fast days at work. I attended the annual DLI Christmas party then Ann & I came home early to pick up Black Betty. I had planned to walk at home that evening, but time quickly got away from me and I lost my opportunity. Although it wasn’t the birth of Jesus, Jerry did perform a Christmas miracle and finally figured out the electrical issue! Now she works like new again… Can’t say enough good things about J & A Auto. Abby worked up in Southport again then came home and played Fortnight on Luke’s rig. Matt came home from school and we played a quick game of euchre and caught up with the kids. But after one game (which the girls one 10-9), Matt headed out to his work Christmas party at ElRep. Abby watched Christmas movies with Ann & I and we all promptly fell asleep. Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis18.12.107 sis18.12.108 sis18.12.109 sis18.12.110 sis18.12.111 sis18.12.112 sis18.12.113 sis18.12.114 sis18.12.115 sis18.12.116 sis18.12.117 sis18.12.118 sis18.12.119 sis18.12.120 sis18.12.121 sis18.12.122 sis18.12.123 sis18.12.124 sis18.12.125 sis18.12.126 sis18.12.127 sis18.12.128 sis18.12.129 sis18.12.130 sis18.12.131 sis18.12.132 sis18.12.133 sis18.12.134 sis18.12.135 sis18.12.136 sis18.12.137 sis18.12.138

Abby & Ann were up early and out the door on a very rainy Saturday morning. Ann finished Christmas shopping. Abby went to Indy to babysit again. Amidst heavy amounts of water on the road which flooded their path and made driving difficult, both the girls’ cars act up. Black Betty came out of it but Tonya died and Abs had to pull to the side of the road in Indy and call for roadside assistance. She called me, obviously upset but there was little I could do for her. Ann picked her up and we had the car towed back to Greensburg for Jerry to take a look at for us. Luke & I ran some errands and he practiced driving in the rain. Later, I did my weekly household chores and caught up on DVR’d shows (MMA, Purdue bball games vs. TX & ND – they lost both, Ancient Aliens, Oak Island, season finale of Dr Who and more – basically all the stuff that Ann hates to watch!). I worked on editing pictures and videos for the blog. Luke went to the boys’ basketball game that evening to watch his buddies play JV ball. He then stuck around for the varsity game as well. Afterward, he had Grayson over to spend the night.

Sunday came early. Matt was the first one up and out the door to go to work at Aspen Place. I was a couple hours behind him as I joined Shawn & Rick at Bryan’s house and we headed up to Indy to tailgate at the Colts / Cowboys game. This was my final birthday present and possibly the best. Shawn did a great job of safely getting us up and back. Rick did a great job of cooking jalapeno cheddar burgers and jalapeno cheddar brats from Neal’s Chop Shop. We enjoyed a few Bloody Marys and brews while we ate, talked and listened to music (we forgot the cornhole boards). The time went way to fast and before we knew it, it was game time! Our parking lot was right across the street and it only took us a couple minutes to get into the stadium and quickly find our seats. We enjoyed three or four more rounds of libations and enjoyed the game with those around us. Too bad the Cowboys forgot to show-up for the game. The Colts dominated them and earned a shutout, 23-0. We stopped at B-Dubs on the way home and I had what I swear was the hottest batch of wings I’ve ever had in my life! I couldn’t even eat all of them! We had a couple beverages and watched some football before finally calling it a day and heading home. Ann and the kids had a quiet day. They got several presents wrapped and under the tree. As I got home, pizza was being delivered from Papa Johns for their dinner. I was stuffed and no sooner had I got back home than I went to bed and slept all the way through till morning – worn-out from my big day… What a great way to end a whirlwind of a week! We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp18.12.92 smp18.12.93 smp18.12.94 smp18.12.95 smp18.12.96 smp18.12.97 smp18.12.98 smp18.12.99 smp18.12.100 smp18.12.101 smp18.12.102 smp18.12.103 smp18.12.104 smp18.12.105 smp18.12.106 smp18.12.107 smp18.12.108 smp18.12.109 smp18.12.110 smp18.12.111 smp18.12.112 smp18.12.113 smp18.12.114 smp18.12.115 smp18.12.116 smp18.12.117 smp18.12.118 smp18.12.119 smp18.12.120 smp18.12.121 smp18.12.122 smp18.12.123 smp18.12.124 smp18.12.125 smp18.12.126 smp18.12.127 smp18.12.128 smp18.12.129 smp18.12.130 smp18.12.131

Next up, we have our first batch of the newest scans from our photo albums. This is album #17 of 18. All of the pictures in this album are from our vacation to Walt Disney World in May 2004. This week we have us: flying down in the jet; visiting Epcot; eating a character meal in a spinning restaurant (very cool); in Magic Kingdom with Keith, Rosie & Megan; and our safari in Animal Kingdom.

Waybac.2004.05.wdw01 Waybac.2004.05.wdw02 Waybac.2004.05.wdw03 Waybac.2004.05.wdw04 Waybac.2004.05.wdw05 Waybac.2004.05.wdw06 Waybac.2004.05.wdw07 Waybac.2004.05.wdw08 Waybac.2004.05.wdw09 Waybac.2004.05.wdw10 Waybac.2004.05.wdw11 Waybac.2004.05.wdw12 Waybac.2004.05.wdw13 Waybac.2004.05.wdw14 Waybac.2004.05.wdw15 Waybac.2004.05.wdw16 Waybac.2004.05.wdw17 Waybac.2004.05.wdw18 Waybac.2004.05.wdw19 Waybac.2004.05.wdw20

And finally, we have our video segment which includes two new home movies this week as well as several from around the internet.

And that does it for this week’s episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss you, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply