And Here I am…I’m Back on my Feet Again

It’s been a long week since we last touched base. Ann finally took the plunge and had both of her knees surgically repaired this week. She spent two days recovering in the hospital and then we got to bring her home and take care of her here. Luke had two basketball games to wrap up the regular season of his freshman basketball schedule but his season-ending tourney game was postponed due to the winter storm that moved into the state this weekend. Matt had a full week of student teaching, up in Zionsville and Abby had an easy week of J-Term in Franklin. We finally made a decision, regarding her automobile. After weeks of deliberating and look at alternate vehicles, we have decided to repair Tonya. My diet and exercise routine was mostly put on hold this week as the weather turned foul and I took off work to stay with Annie. It’s been a hard week on Ms. Ann but she has fought hard and is making great progress despite enduring constant, agonizing pain. Last week, Luke passed on his first chance to go sledding in three years…with all the snow we received last night, he will have another chance this coming week if he so chooses. The only issue is that the temps are well below zero for the next few days…winter is finally here! Hello again and welcome to the latest edition of the Scheu Family Blog.

Luke got to sleep in on Monday morning as his school was on a two-hour delay. After his shortened school day and running around town with Gma and his teammates, Luke & the boys travelled to Lawrenceburg for their basketball game that night. Matt returned to the elementary school, teaching in a special-needs classroom in Zionsville. Abby started her week of only one class for Winter (“J”) Term with Garrett. Ann & I drove in late for knee class at CRH that morning. We both crammed a weeks’ worth of work into one day, making the day go incredibly fast. I got my hair cut at Jami’s new salon across town – it’s really nice. I was able to walk about two miles in the mall after work before we had to take off early for the ball game that evening. Scott got me a refill on my hot pepper flakes – this batch includes all the old peppers from the last few mixes but also added a couple new peppers called Dragon’s Breath. We had a myriad of issues at work – fire panel offline, leaking pipes in a utility room, no hot water on one unit, coffee maker leaking water in the kitchen, a van leaking coolant, the nursing station computer died – and of course I was only there for a few hours…but somehow our team managed to get them all handled. I’m very thankful to have a team that is as talented as it is! Ann & I drove Black Betty down to Lawrenceburg on a cold night. Luckily the streets were all clear, so it was an easy trek down to that part of the state. The Tigers were a talented group that gave the young Pirates a challenge. In the first half, we came out a little timid and got down a few points. We managed to hang with them but then Coach started substituting out the starters and we quickly fell behind by nearly twenty points by halftime. We started off the second half much better, closing the gap to 8 points before we started substituting again…and that spelled the end of our chances for a win as we got further and further behind from that point on. Luke played well but did not play most of the 4th quarter for whatever reason – instead he sat on the bench as our chances slipped away. In the end we lost by ten points, 28-38. Their record now stands at 3-6 on the year. Luke started at power forward tonight. His stats: five points and an assist on 1-4 shooting from the field and 3-4 from the line. His defensive numbers: 5 rebounds, a steal, a block and a pair of forced turnovers. The temps had really taken a nose dive by the time we left for home. It was foggy and in the low teens. Luke rode the bus home and caught a ride home with Tyler’s family. Here are pictures of Luke’s basketball game at Batesville last week.

lp19.01.04 lbbb19.01 lbbb19.02 lbbb19.03 lbbb19.04 lbbb19.05 lbbb19.06 lbbb19.07 lbbb19.08 lbbb19.09 lbbb19.10 lbbb19.11 lbbb19.12 lbbb19.13 lbbb19.14 lbbb19.15 lbbb19.16 lbbb19.17 lbbb19.18 lbbb19.19 lbbb19.20 lbbb19.21 lbbb19.22 lbbb19.23

Ann & I were up super early for her knee replacement surgery at CRH on Tuesday morning. There was a lot of anxiety and some tears leading up to the big moment. Her anesthesiologist was very reassuring and the doctor was confident that things would go by the book – and that helped to squelch the apprehension we were all feeling that day. Obviously, we didn’t want a repeat of the last time she went under the knife. Mom & Sandy joined me as we camped out in the waiting room across the hall. Justin came to check on me and brought me breakfast and glasses from work (thanks bud!). Thankfully, everything went as predicted and before we knew it she was up in 5 Tower, sleepy and grumpy – it was then that we knew she was fine! 😊 Gma & Gigi went home soon afterward and Ann took a well-deserved nap. That evening, Matt, Abby & Garrett came by to visit Ms. Ann and hang out with us for several hours. I took the kids down to the cafeteria for dinner while Ann ate and then napped again. They got Ann up after dinner and she walked to the bathroom and sat in the chair, accomplishing all of the goals she & her team had set for her today! Dr. Guse came by to see her that evening and Judy from her work stopped in for a little while to check on her as well. The kids left after dark and I followed suit shortly afterward to allow Annie a chance to relax and get some rest as she was completely wiped-out from her big day. With all of today’s action, we unfortunately missed Uncle Timmy’s funeral. ☹ We really wanted to be there to support the girls and their families but they understood. We will miss Uncle Timmy… Here are pictures of Luke on the night of his first Winter Formal.

lwf19.01 lwf19.02 lwf19.03 lwf19.04 lwf19.05 lwf19.06 lwf19.07 lwf19.08 lwf19.09 lwf19.10 lwf19.11 lwf19.12 lwf19.13 lwf19.14 lwf19.15 lwf19.16 lwf19.17 lwf19.18 lwf19.19 lwf19.20 lwf19.21 lwf19.22 lwf19.23 lwf19.24 lwf19.25 lwf19.26 lwf19.27 lwf19.28 lwf19.29 lwf19.30 lwf19.31 lwf19.32 lwf19.33 lwf19.34 lwf19.35 lwf19.36 lwf19.37

I drove back to the hospital to be with Ms. Ann, early on Wednesday morning. She had a good night and was ready for another big day ahead of her. She was able to dress herself as well as take three laps around the entire ward! Her neighbor is the former mayor’s wife and they got to eat lunch and do physical therapy group together. They were both very nice. Ann did very well and her entire team has told her so several times. Luke had school then went to basketball practice. I left Annie that night sore and worn-out again. Luke and I ran errands when I got back to town and when we sat down to watch the Boilers beat Rutgers, I fell asleep before the half. Here are pictures from Luke’s basketball game vs. Jennings County last week..

lbjc19.00 lbjc19.01 lbjc19.02 lbjc19.03 lbjc19.04 lbjc19.05 lbjc19.06 lbjc19.07 lbjc19.08 lbjc19.09 lbjc19.10 lbjc19.11 lbjc19.12 lbjc19.13 lbjc19.14 lbjc19.15 lbjc19.16 lbjc19.17 lbjc19.18 lbjc19.19 lbjc19.20 lbjc19.21 lbjc19.22 lbjc19.23 lbjc19.24 lbjc19.25 lbjc19.26 lbjc19.27 lbjc19.28 lbjc19.29 lbjc19.30 lbjc19.31 lbjc19.32 lbjc19.33 lbjc19.34 lbjc19.35 lbjc19.36 lbjc19.37 lbjc19.38 lbjc19.39 lbjc19.40 lbjc19.41 lbjc19.42 lbjc19.43 lbjc19.44 lbjc19.45 lbjc19.46 lbjc19.47 lbjc19.48 lbjc19.49 lbjc19.50

Thursday was Mom Scheu’s birthday. It rained all day and melted much of our snow, creating a lot of fog. Ann had a good night, keeping a handle on her pain. But she had her biggest challenge ahead of her yet that day. I ran a couple errands that morning in preparation of her coming home and also ran into work for a few minutes to put out a fire. Ms. Ann passed physical therapy today but it wasn’t easy! The practice stairs tried to kick her butt, but she refused to give up and made it to the top and back – pushing through the pain. She made another lap around the ward and was able to get in and out of the car simulator as well. After lunch, pain meds and a nap, we loaded Ann into the van and headed home. She got in and out of Barney very well. The house was a little more challenging but she figured it out. The bathroom is an issue; it’ll take a little getting used to as it is a tight fit with all that equipment in there. She was sore and tired when she finally made it to her recliner and settled in for a long nap. I ran a few errands and finalized all her stuff. We have all her medical supplies, meds and exercise materials for recovery so we’re all set! Luke had a fast day at school then had a basketball game that evening. Amy came over to relieve me that evening so I could go to the game where the Pirates played in their final home game and final regular season game of the year on a wet, foggy night. They faced Hauser in what was quite possibly the worst officiating in the history of high school basketball. The freshman boys’ basketball team persevered that night and closed the regular season on a positive note. The Pirates defeated the Jets 50-31 in a game that saw nearly 50 fouls called! It seemed the referees thought they were calling a 2nd grade YMCA-level game more so than a high school ball game – it was ridiculous. Still, all the boys on the team saw significant playing time while raising their record on the year to 4-6. The victory helps the team gain some much-needed momentum as they head into their season-ending EIAC tourney in Rushville this weekend. Luke was not immune to the foul issues and was quickly relegated to the bench, picking up 3 penalties before halftime and his 4th came within the first minute of the 2nd half – unbelievable! He finally began defending with his hands behind his back just to stay in the game! LOL! Luke’s stats: Offensively, he again had five points, going 1-1 from the field and 3-4 from the stripe. He also had a turnover. Defensively, he had a pair rebounds to go with his four fouls. Trevor loaned us his commode grab bars that attach to the toilet directly and it really helped Ann out. Ann had fun with Amy who brought over a ton of food. Between her and all the food Kristie brought over a few days ago, we’re all set for the big winter storm now! Luke & I worked on his math homework and studied for his test tomorrow. Ann decided to forego her exercises that night as she was wiped-out from her long day. She can’t find a chair that is easy to get in and out of, so we may look at renting a lift chair or something next week. She was able to get in and out of bed easily, which was nice; but due to her pain, she didn’t sleep well. Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis19.01.72 sis19.01.73 sis19.01.74 sis19.01.75 sis19.01.76 sis19.01.77 sis19.01.78 sis19.01.79 sis19.01.80 sis19.01.81 sis19.01.82 sis19.01.83 sis19.01.84 sis19.01.85 sis19.01.86 sis19.01.87 sis19.01.88 sis19.01.89 sis19.01.90 sis19.01.91 sis19.01.92 sis19.01.93 sis19.01.94 sis19.01.95 sis19.01.96 sis19.01.97 sis19.01.98 sis19.01.99 sis19.01.100 sis19.01.101 sis19.01.102 sis19.01.103 sis19.01.104 sis19.01.105 sis19.01.106 sis19.01.107 sis19.01.108 sis19.01.109 sis19.01.110 sis19.01.111 sis19.01.112 sis19.01.113 sis19.01.114 sis19.01.115 sis19.01.116 sis19.01.117 sis19.01.118 sis19.01.119 sis19.01.120 sis19.01.121 sis19.01.122 sis19.01.123 sis19.01.124 sis19.01.125 sis19.01.126 sis19.01.127

Luke & I were up early to get to football practice before school. I ran a few errands and did some stuff around the house while Ann slept in. She eventually got up and we went to Columbus for physical therapy on another foggy day. We got in to town way early and so we went for lunch at Chick Fil-A and ate it in the car like old times. She did great at PT then we came home and she took a long nap while I edited pictures and videos and may have caught 40 winks myself! Mom O came over for a few minutes while dropping off Luke after practice. He attended basketball after school then went to baseball practice. Unfortunately, he couldn’t find anyone, so not sure what’s up with that but he had his glove and was ready to go. Later, Phyllis & Michael came over, baring gifts – she had made Ann and Luke one of her delicious coffee cakes! Ann did her exercises and spent some time in her recliner that evening. That evening, Luke learned that his basketball tourney in Rushville that was scheduled for tomorrow morning had been postponed until Monday evening. So, we enjoyed a quiet evening of watching DVR’d shows and fell asleep under blankets with the dogs while Luke played on his PS4 in the family room. Damn, we’re old…

Ann was up and down a couple times overnight and we ended up getting up before dawn and just staying up, thanks to the dogs. Ann is doing great at getting up and down from the bed although her legs feel like lead balloons. We aren’t sure if that’s normal or not at this point. With Luke’s tourney postponed due to the impending storm, I ran to the store to get some supplies for the weekend before the weather turned. It rained all morning and all afternoon. I watched the weather and when it finally stopped and the temps dipped, I pre-salted the walks and drive and pulled up the wipers on the cars before the snow hit us. Gigi came over for a while to visit and brought Ann a gift from Mom O – a homemade “Cecil the monkey” pillowcase that she loved! 😊 We watched Purdue defeat #25 IU at Mackey Arena then turned on a movie and watched a few DVR’d shows while it nastiness rolled into town. Ann tried to lie down in bed but just couldn’t get comfortable. She did find relief in her recliner, but the only problem is that she can’t get up and down from it like she can from the bed. Later that evening, the snow really came down and the whipped up with gusts around 40 mph. It continued snowing overnight as the temps continued to plummet and the wind howled all night… Thank God all three of us had bed warmers that night! We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp19.01.103 smp19.01.104 smp19.01.105 smp19.01.106 smp19.01.107 smp19.01.108 smp19.01.109 smp19.01.110 smp19.01.111 smp19.01.112 smp19.01.113 smp19.01.114 smp19.01.115 smp19.01.116 smp19.01.116a smp19.01.117 smp19.01.118 smp19.01.119 smp19.01.120 smp19.01.121 smp19.01.122 smp19.01.123 smp19.01.124 smp19.01.125 smp19.01.126 smp19.01.127 smp19.01.128 smp19.01.129 smp19.01.130 smp19.01.131

Ann again had trouble sleeping that night and we ended up getting up around 4 AM on Sunday morning. I tried to go back to sleep, but didn’t have much luck and neither did Ann. I ended up getting up and doing weekly household chores while Ms. Ann tried to rest. It was still snowing when the sun came up but stopped shortly afterward. I would estimate we got between five and six inches. It was hard to tell because the drifting was so bad. Luke went out and cleared the walk and drive in the frigid air. I don’t think it got much above single digits all day and they forecast for us to have an overnight low of 6! That afternoon, Luke & I watched the NFC championship game while Ann napped. The Saints jumped out to a quick lead on the Rams but LA fought back to keep the game close. At the end of the game, there was a horrible call (or lack thereof) when a Rams defender obviously ran straight into a New Orleans receiver…well it was obvious to everyone except the officials. Perhaps Luke is right, maybe the NFL is rigged?? If they make the call, Brees runs the clock down to 3 seconds and the kicker ends the game on what would essentially be an extra point. Instead, they have to kick the field goal with two minutes left and LA comes down and ties the game to send it to OT. Drew gets hit during a throw on the opening drive and the Rams pick it off and move the ball a few yards and kick the game-winner. What a shame… It’s probably the worst call in the playoffs since Dez Bryant’s catch/no-catch call a few years back. Luke missed all the drama at the end of the game because he organized a practice for he and his teammates, “So we don’t look like crap tomorrow.” We had just left to pick up Grayson when Ann called saying she had fallen in our bedroom. So, we turned around and got her up off the floor and into bed. She was fine – the only thing that was hurt was her pride and maybe a little bit of her confidence. I ran the boys out to the Fieldhouse so the kids could at least get moving and stay in some sort of playing shape. It’s a shame that the kids had to put this together and not the coaches. Later, I watched the AFC championship game and tried to keep warm with dogs and blankets on the couch as wind chill dipped to -15 outside! The damn Patriots came out strong and lead by 2 TDs by the half. The Chiefs fought back and tied it to send it to OT. But old Brady won the game and will return to the Super Bowl. Luke and I watched the end of that game and then wrapped up the week by watching Deadpool 2 on the big screen. It was a relaxing way to wind down another busy week.

Next up is our Waybac segment which continues to feature Photo Album #17 of our young family’s memoirs. All of these pictures are from our Walt Disney World vacation in May of 2004. We lead off with the kids in the Indy and Atlanta (we had to switch planes) airports. Next, I think we are on a ride in Epcot, but I can’t figure out where we are or what we’re on. Then we have a Magic Kingdom character meal – breakfast with the princesses in Cinderella’s castle. Then we have fireworks in Magic Kingdom – I think we were on Main St for this viewing. And finally, we head to Animal Kingdom to meet Pooh and friends and go on safari to see the Tree of Life.

Waybac.2004.05.wdw101 Waybac.2004.05.wdw102 Waybac.2004.05.wdw103 Waybac.2004.05.wdw104 Waybac.2004.05.wdw105 Waybac.2004.05.wdw106 Waybac.2004.05.wdw107 Waybac.2004.05.wdw108 Waybac.2004.05.wdw109 Waybac.2004.05.wdw110 Waybac.2004.05.wdw111 Waybac.2004.05.wdw112 Waybac.2004.05.wdw113 Waybac.2004.05.wdw114 Waybac.2004.05.wdw115 Waybac.2004.05.wdw116 Waybac.2004.05.wdw117 Waybac.2004.05.wdw118 Waybac.2004.05.wdw119 Waybac.2004.05.wdw120

We wrap up this week with our video segment which features three new home movies this week as well as several from around the internet.

And that does for this week’s edition of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply