Sick as a Dog, ’cause You Really ain’t that Young…

We endured a long week since we last touched base. Matt continued student teaching in Zionsville and had to deal with flat tire on Bebe. Abby had a long week of classes, had her first shift at her new job and spent the weekend with her boyfriend. Luke was a two-sport athlete this week, attending both football and baseball practices. He spent the weekend with friends, leaving Ann & I with an empty nest. Ann continued to make leaps and bounds, as she recovers from her bi-lateral knee surgery. She was even cleared to partially return to work when she can tolerate it. The doctor said she is ahead of most of his patients who only have one kneed done…but we already knew that she was tough! Unfortunately, she didn’t sleep well all week as she grows more and more restless with being off work. I (and several of my co-workers) came down with a nasty virus (those who had it checked, had Influenza A). I was sick as a dog for a good 24-hours. It left me feeling as bad as I have in a couple decades. Due to my health, I fell well short of my dietary and exercise weekly goals, only logging about 5 miles of walking. The weather didn’t help much either, as we continued to endure cold, wet days this week – yuck! We’re all dreaming of hot, sunny beaches this week… Hello again and welcome to the newest installment of the Scheu Family Blog.

We had a cold, wet & foggy start to the week on Monday. In fact, it rained all day long. Matt texted me early that morning, telling me Bebe had a flat tire when he tried to go to work that morning. Thankfully, he was able to borrow Taylor’s car so he could get to Zionsville for student-teaching for the day. Luke said he had a long day at school then went to football practice. Due to what he called miscommunication, he missed baseball practice that night. He instead came home and played on his PS4 most of the evening. Ann slept in then rested her knees, watching the daily Friends marathon with the dogs. I had a very long day. The dogs had me up early then I had a slow, stressful ride into work through the heavy fog. After a long day of putting out Monday fires at work, I drove up to Franklin to take some papers to Abby for her job at Buffalo Wild Wings. I skipped walking in Columbus so Abby & I could walk Dame Mall through campus. But when I got into town, it was raining there as well (I should’ve known, since it ALWAYS rains in Franklin). Instead, I went to her new room in Elsey and got to meet her new roomie. We went to the new Spurlock Center and walked about a mile and a half before calling it quits since there were so many teams practicing in the same area. We went to Walmart to get her a few supplies then picked-up Garrett and went to eat dinner at Big Woods at the country club. I enjoyed a couple of my favorite beers (Six Foot Strawberry Blonde) and their wonderful mahi-mahi tacos…yum! We had to make it quick, unfortunately, because Abs had a meeting that night. So, I dropped Abby off at her suite and Garrett and I took her stuff back to her room and then headed home on the dark, rainy night. My crazy GPS took me some backwoods way. Now that I’m old, I have a lot of trouble driving those country roads at night. The rain didn’t help matters so I back-tracked when I got to Hwy 9 and found my usual route back to the house. When I got home, I was so worn out from the long day that I went straight to bed and slept like a log. Here are some professional pictures we’ve received in the last week – Abby’s ΠΒΦ composite and the last batch of Luke’s freshman basketball pictures. These were ordered from Abrell’s Photo Works website.

lp19.02.02 acp19.01 acp19.02 acp19.03 lbpp19.01 lbpp19.02 lbpp19.03 lbpp19.04 lbpp19.05 lbpp19.06 lbpp19.07 lbpp19.08 lbpp19.09 lbpp19.10 lbpp19.11 lbpp19.12 lbpp19.13 lbpp19.14 lbpp19.15 lbpp19.16 lbpp19.17 lbpp19.18 lbpp19.19 lbpp19.20 lbpp19.21 lbpp19.22 lbpp19.23 lbpp19.24 lbpp19.25 lbpp19.26 lbpp19.27 lbpp19.28 lbpp19.29 lbpp19.30 lbpp19.31

On Tuesday, I was up early again on another wet, foggy morning. It rained most of the day again. It was super foggy on the ride into work. After student-teaching in Zionsville, Matt returned to the U Indy campus and contacted roadside assistance to get his tire changed. He said he didn’t have a jack (I guess we know one thing he’s getting for his birthday!). They got him all fixed up and he took his tire to a 24-hour place and had it patched and re-mounted. He laughed, saying he always had trouble with flats at this time of year. I told him, “Welcome to driving Indiana roads in the winter….pot-hole heaven!” I had another very busy day at work then walked three miles at the mall on a noticeably colder day. I pushed my body too hard during exercising, trying to stay ahead of an older couple (no way they were passing me!). That was a mistake…although I shaved a minute off my average time from yesterday, my back ached, my shins burned and my feet hurt. Luke had school then stayed late for football practice again, where he set a new max for his squat (good job, bud!). He’s really starting to get strong. Abby worked her first shift at BWW after her classes at FC. She called Ann afterward and they chatted for quite a while. Ann had a busy day – her friend Dinah took her to Columbus where she had physical therapy and then had a doctor’s appointment with Guse. She had most of her steri-strips removed, but a few were put back on as well. Doc was very happy with her progress – he said she was farther along than anticipated and doing great! We got Tonya back from the shop again that evening. Jerry got her all fixed up and so Luke went with me and drove the car back to the house for his 4th solo drive. He did great, like he always does. I hope he drives like this all his life. That evening, we watched a couple DVR’d shows and listened to the wind howl all night.

We had a cold start to the day on Humpday. It never got above freezing and the wind was nasty. Luke said he had a good day at school then enjoyed the night off from sports. Ann had a good day but she had worked pretty hard yesterday at PT and was quite sore. I went to work and spent the day with my team, welcoming our Regional VP to town and toured the facility with him. I felt awful but stayed until my duties were finished. As soon as I could leave, I came home early. I took some meds and went to bed, sleeping for about eight hours. I did get up for a little while and was a couch potato but I still wasn’t feeling right and went back to bed, sleeping straight through till morning. Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis19.02.39 sis19.02.40 sis19.02.41 sis19.02.42 sis19.02.43 sis19.02.44 sis19.02.45 sis19.02.46 sis19.02.47 sis19.02.48 sis19.02.49 sis19.02.50 sis19.02.51 sis19.02.52 sis19.02.53 sis19.02.54 sis19.02.55 sis19.02.56 sis19.02.57 sis19.02.58 sis19.02.59 sis19.02.60 sis19.02.61 sis19.02.62 sis19.02.63 sis19.02.64 sis19.02.65 sis19.02.66 sis19.02.67 sis19.02.68 sis19.02.69 sis19.02.70 sis19.02.71 sis19.02.72 sis19.02.73 sis19.02.74 sis19.02.75 sis19.02.76 sis19.02.77 sis19.02.78 sis19.02.79 sis19.02.80 sis19.02.81 sis19.02.82 sis19.02.83 sis19.02.85 sis19.02.86 sis19.02.87 sis19.02.88 sis19.02.89 sis19.02.90 sis19.02.91 sis19.02.92

Thursday was Valentine’s Day, but I wasn’t feeling very romantic. I stayed home sick after sleeping ten hours overnight and about sixteen hours overall since I left work yesterday. It really did a number on me. Although I received both a flu shot and a pneumonia shot this season, I had some of the classic flu symptoms. Luke had a long day… He had a good day at school, including lifting during Advanced PE. Then he lifted and ran with a medicine ball at football practice. Then he had baseball practice that night. By the time he got home, he was worn-out and whiney. Ann was still hurting from PT but was definitely feeling better. Her body is recovering quicker each time from her workouts. I stayed home sick, sleeping in until after ten. I finally got up and moved to the couch, disrupting Ann and the dogs’ daily routine. Annie & I napped on and off all day as we watched the daily Friends marathon and relived memories of when we watched these shows each week when we were young, twenty-somethings! Mom O brought Luke home and came in to visit for a bit, baring gifts for Ann & I – I got some fluids with instructions to stay hydrated while Ms. Ann got a piece of sugar crème pie. I finally started feeling a little better later that night. Ann ordered Papa John’s pizza for dinner. I finally felt like eating a little bit as we watched the Daytona Twin 125s. By the time I hit the bed, my fever had returned. Thankfully, it finally broke for good overnight and I was able to sleep sounder than last night when I had difficulty breathing through my darn c-pap.

Luke had a fast day at school on Friday. He had the night off from sports again. He drove us out to Oakley’s house shortly after he got home from school and spent the night out there. Ann went to physical therapy with her friend Jane. I got up and shit/showered/shaved and worked from home, feeling much better. I still coughed and blew my nose regularly, but definitely felt better with my ibuprofen and Mucinex. I worked a full day out at the family room desk then ran a few errands and picked up dinner that Ann called in at Tarouya. We watched a few shows on the big screen and took it easy on a quiet night with the dogs. The bunnies either have babies under the shed or we have a new squatter under there because the dogs – especially Lola – have gone crazy out back all day – barking at the shed, digging and getting muddy. I had to clean Lola every time she came in today. We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp19.02.54 smp19.02.55 smp19.02.56 smp19.02.57 smp19.02.58 smp19.02.59 smp19.02.60 smp19.02.61 smp19.02.62 smp19.02.63 smp19.02.64 smp19.02.65 smp19.02.66 smp19.02.67 smp19.02.68 smp19.02.69 smp19.02.70 smp19.02.71 smp19.02.72 smp19.02.73 smp19.02.74 smp19.02.75 smp19.02.76 smp19.02.77 smp19.02.78 smp19.02.79 smp19.02.80 smp19.02.81 smp19.02.82 smp19.02.83 smp19.02.84 smp19.02.85 smp19.02.86 smp19.02.95 smp19.02.87 smp19.02.88 smp19.02.89 smp19.02.90 smp19.02.91 smp19.02.92 smp19.02.93 smp19.02.94

The dogs had me up early on Saturday morning, so I did a few things around the house and made breakfast while Ann slept in. Later, I got the oil changed in Barney and did some Hot Wheels hunting at the junk store on the square. Ann was able to rest all day and I joined her as we watched an SVU marathon that afternoon. That evening we got Chili’s takeout for dinner, watched a couple DVR’d shows on the big screen and then screamed at the TV during the first half of the Purdue game as they hosted the Nittany Lions. I was much calmer in the second half as the #12 Boilers pulled-out another win to stay in the hunt for the Big 10 championship. Luke went from Oakley’s house to Cameron’s house (he said he just walked down the creek), where he stayed the night. Once Ann went to bed, I stayed-up and watched the Daytona truck race and the Bellator event that was anti-climatic when then main event was stopped after twenty seconds due to a kick to the groin.

With no kids in the house and the dogs not allowed to sleep with Ann due to her ailing knees, the girls had me up early again on a chilly Sunday morning. I still spent the day hacking and blowing my nose. I’ve had to use Ann’s inhaler a couple times when I couldn’t catch my breath. I hope this crap breaks up soon. There was a dusting of snow on the ground when I got up and watched some classic sci-fi before getting to our weekly household chores. Natalie came to visit Ms. Ann around noon. Luke was excited to go shoot guns with the Porters that afternoon but it rained instead and so they just drove farm equipment and watched the birth of a calf. After Nat left and Ann was asleep, I put on the Xfinity race from yesterday and then we watched the Daytona 500 – the official start to the NASCAR season. It was an especially long race this year that didn’t end until nearly 8 pm. We brought Luke home in the late afternoon and he spent some time tinkering in the back of the house. He ended up fashioning a new base onto his monitor. Ann made cheesy Fireworks popcorn for dinner and we settled in to watch some SVU and then wound down the week in typical fashion, watching the Walking Dead / Talking Dead. As we went to bed, we were expecting more snow and possibly freezing rain, which could make tomorrow’s commute interesting. We were glad to put a cap on this tough week. Hopefully, next week will be a little gentler on us…

Next up is our Waybac segment which continues to feature pictures from our family photo album #17 that chronicles our vacation at Walt Disney World in June 2004. We lead off with more views of us having fun in the Magic Kingdom; then we have a character dinner at the Garden Grill restaurant; then back to the Magic Kingdom at night for the Main Street Electrical Parade but it had been reformatted into Spectromagic!; next we go to Animal Kingdom to meet Pooh and Friends then watch the parade at MGM called Disney’s Start and Motor Cars; then we take in the sights at Epcot; and finally we wind up in Animal Kingdom with the Ewings to watch the Mickey’s Jammin’ Jungle Parade.

Waybac.2004.06.wdw192 Waybac.2004.06.wdw193 Waybac.2004.06.wdw194 Waybac.2004.06.wdw195 Waybac.2004.06.wdw196 Waybac.2004.06.wdw197 Waybac.2004.06.wdw198 Waybac.2004.06.wdw199 Waybac.2004.06.wdw200 Waybac.2004.06.wdw201 Waybac.2004.06.wdw202 Waybac.2004.06.wdw203 Waybac.2004.06.wdw204 Waybac.2004.06.wdw205 Waybac.2004.06.wdw206 Waybac.2004.06.wdw207 Waybac.2004.06.wdw208 Waybac.2004.06.wdw209 Waybac.2004.06.wdw210 Waybac.2004.06.wdw211 Waybac.2004.06.wdw212 Waybac.2004.06.wdw213 Waybac.2004.06.wdw214 Waybac.2004.06.wdw215 Waybac.2004.06.wdw216 Waybac.2004.06.wdw217 Waybac.2004.06.wdw218 Waybac.2004.06.wdw219

We wrap up as always with our video segment. This week we have only one short home movie and a slew of others from around the internet.

And that does it for this week’s episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with yous again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply