It’s a County Fair Picture

We made it through a fast week with lots of sun and heat. There was no mistaking it this week – it is definitely summer! Luke returned to sports, focusing on football this week. He also knocked-out his driving hours and is ready for his official exam. He enjoyed spending most of his leisure time out at the fair with his buddies. Abby worked her tail off, got to spend time with boyfriend and found time to got to another concert. Matt still hasn’t got his work to transfer his job. He spent most of the week with his girlfriend, studied for his teacher’s exam and visited us this weekend. Ann continues to keep chugging with her knees, pushing herself during the day and icing them in her recliner in the evenings. I fell just a mile short on my walking goal and really bombed on my diet, gaining back a few of the precious pounds I worked to get off last week. Why is it so hard to lose but so darn easy to gain?? My brother and his wife came to see us this weekend and had a blast! The fair returned this week, which meant seeing all sorts of weird people in-town that we only see at this time of year. Hello again and welcome to the latest edition of the Scheu Family Blog.

It was back to work on Monday morning for Ann & I on a hot, humid day. Abby worked at Wings & Rings. Luke returned to football practice that evening. We had a fast day at work, thankfully. I ran Ann to a meeting that morning as she is still not driving yet. Justin, Vic & I went to China Buffet for lunch. Justin joined me on a 5K walk on a nasty-hot afternoon. We were dripping with sweat when we finished. When Ann & I got home, I put in the air conditioner in the family room and wow did it make a difference. Afterward, I cleaned-out the Roomba and when I was done, it was like-new. That evening, I watched the homerun derby while Ann napped. It was a great one with Vlad Guerrero Jr hitting 91 homers but finishing 2nd to Pete Alonso… The second round really stole the show when Guerrero faced Joc Pederson. The round ended in a tie, which meant they had to go to a tiebreaker. Each player got an additional minute and after that it was still tied. That led to an unprecedented “swing-off” where both players got 3 swings. At the end of the first swing-off, it was tied again and then after the 2nd one, Vlad won by a single dinger to move on to the finals. His 91 homers far and away set the overall record for most homers and although Alonso won the $1 million-dollar prize, Vlad won the night. Here are pictures from Abby & Megan’s adventures a couple weekends ago.

lp19.07.02 amt19.01 amt19.02 amt19.03 amt19.04 amt19.05 amt19.06 amt19.07 amt19.08 amt19.09 amt19.10 amt19.11 amt19.12 amt19.13 amt19.14 amt19.15 amt19.16 amt19.17 amt19.18 amt19.19 amt19.20 amt19.21 amt19.22 amt19.23 amt19.24 amt19.25 amt19.26 amt19.27 amt19.28 amt19.29 amt19.30 amt19.31 amt19.32 amt19.33 amt19.34

Tuesday brought us a cooler morning but got even hotter that afternoon, reaching into the nineties. We saw lots of activity out at the fairgrounds – it’s cool how fast they get all that stuff set up out there – especially on the midway. We finally heard from the league about our baseball tourney – turns out they aren’t going to do anything now until after fair week, so we’re not sure if Luke will even be able to play due to his football schedule. Abby had the day off and she spent it with Megan. They went dorm shopping as Megan will head to college this fall (scary thought!). Luke had another hot, four-hour football practice that evening. The girls made dinner that evening. The pasta and bread were amazing. Here are pictures from the 4th of July weekend last week.

foj19.01 foj19.02 foj19.03 foj19.04 foj19.05 foj19.06 foj19.07 foj19.08 foj19.09 foj19.10 foj19.11 foj19.12 foj19.13 foj19.14 foj19.15 foj19.16 foj19.17 foj19.18 foj19.19 foj19.20 foj19.21 foj19.22 foj19.23 foj19.24 foj19.25 foj19.26 foj19.27 foj19.28 foj19.29 foj19.30 foj19.31 foj19.32 foj19.33 foj19.34 foj19.35 foj19.36 foj19.37 foj19.38 foj19.39 foj19.40 foj19.41 foj19.42 foj19.43 foj19.44 foj19.45 foj19.46 foj19.47 foj19.48 foj19.49 foj19.50 foj19.51 foj19.52 foj19.53 foj19.54 foj19.55 foj19.56 foj19.57 foj19.58 foj19.59 foj19.60 foj19.61 foj19.62 foj19.63 foj19.64 foj19.65 foj19.66 foj19.67 foj19.68 foj19.69 foj19.70 foj19.71 foj19.72 foj19.73 foj19.74 foj19.75 foj19.76 foj19.77 foj19.78 foj19.79 foj19.80 foj19.81 foj19.82 foj19.83 foj19.84 foj19.85 foj19.86 foj19.87 foj19.88 foj19.89 foj19.90 foj19.91 foj19.92 foj19.93 foj19.94 foj19.95 foj19.96 foj19.97 foj19.98 foj19.99 foj19.100 foj19.101 foj19.102 foj19.103 foj19.104 foj19.105 foj19.106 foj19.107 foj19.108 foj19.109 foj19.110 foj19.111 foj19.112 foj19.113 foj19.114 foj19.115 foj19.116 foj19.117 foj19.118 foj19.119 foj19.120 foj19.121 foj19.122 foj19.123

Wednesday dealt us another hot, 90-degree day. I again ran Ann to a meeting, mid-day. The day flew by as we held a staff luau at work, so it was an easy one! Justin & I walked three miles in the blistering heat before we left town a little early. Ann met up with Shawna at home and they enjoyed a girls’ night out with their scrapbooking friends at Stones in Millhousen. Meanwhile, Abby worked a double shift at BWR. Luke had a two-hour driver’s ed driving session. I napped on the couch when I got home, enjoying the air conditioning. Luke talked me into going out to Wings & Rings for dinner, where Bu got off early and joined us. We came home and Ann & the kids went to bed. I tried to watch a show but fell asleep on the couch myself. The overnight storm woke me up and I came on to bed myself. I felt bad for all the kids out at the fairgrounds with their animals having to ride the storm out, out in that heat. Here are pictures of the newest additions to my Hot Wheels collection.

hwc19.07.23 hwc19.07.24 hwc19.07.25 hwc19.07.26 hwc19.07.27 hwc19.07.28 hwc19.07.29 hwc19.07.30 hwc19.07.31 hwc19.07.32 hwc19.07.33 hwc19.07.34 hwc19.07.35 hwc19.07.36 hwc19.07.37 hwc19.07.38 hwc19.07.39 hwc19.07.40 hwc19.07.41 hwc19.07.42

Thursday was a cooler, less humid day. Justin, Vic & I met up with Dennis for lunch at Five Guys then Justin & I walked a 5K around the airport property after work. I picked up Annie and we swung past the house to change, grab the cameras and hop in Barney to head out to the high school. Luke and the Pirates had their next scrimmage game that evening. They faced Centerville, a 3A school from up by Richmond – where Taylor went to high school. Luke got in a few varsity snaps at middle linebacker! He also got in all the JV reps at middle linebacker and most of the JV fullback snaps (I guess that’s what they call that position in this new offense?). He even scored a pair of touchdowns! The Pirate defense looked dominant as they did not surrender a single score the entire night (not varsity or JV). We sat with the Wests and other parents we knew on a perfect evening for football. Luke went out with his buddies to McD’s after the game and Abby worked at BWR until late again. Here are pictures of Luke’s last baseball game vs. Franklin County Dairy Cottage. I assume he’ll play again soon, but we haven’t heard anything for sure at this point.

lbdc19.02 lbdc19.03 lbdc19.04 lbdc19.05 lbdc19.06 lbdc19.07 lbdc19.08 lbdc19.09 lbdc19.10 lbdc19.11 lbdc19.12 lbdc19.13 lbdc19.14 lbdc19.15 lbdc19.16 lbdc19.17 lbdc19.18 lbdc19.19 lbdc19.20 lbdc19.21 lbdc19.22 lbdc19.23 lbdc19.24 lbdc19.25 lbdc19.26 lbdc19.27 lbdc19.28 lbdc19.29 lbdc19.30 lbdc19.31 lbdc19.32 lbdc19.33 lbdc19.34 lbdc19.35 lbdc19.36 lbdc19.37 lbdc19.38 lbdc19.39 lbdc19.40 lbdc19.41 lbdc19.42 lbdc19.43 lbdc19.44 lbdc19.45 lbdc19.46 lbdc19.47 lbdc19.48 lbdc19.49 lbdc19.50 lbdc19.51 lbdc19.52 lbdc19.53 lbdc19.54 lbdc19.55 lbdc19.56 lbdc19.57 lbdc19.58 lbdc19.59

Ann & I had a fast day at work on Friday. Justin, Vic & I went to lunch at China Buf again. We left town when Ann got off work. Abby worked 2nd shift at BWR that evening. When I got home, Luke & I loaded up Betty White and he drove us to Mom & Sandy’s house to mow/trim. We went to the store to get supplies for the weekend afterwards and then met Rob & Sharon back at the house. They drove down from Lafayette, where they are staying while Rob works in Delphi for a few weeks. Luke went to the fair with Addison and friends until late. The four of us went to BWR to eat and give Bu a hard time. We had a tube of Bud Light and a ton of wings, celery and blue cheese! Afterward, we came back to the house and enjoyed some patio time and a couple Moscow Mules. Garrett came to stay the weekend with Abs. He met her at the restaurant and when they got home, Ann iced her knees in the recliner while Bu & I faced Rob & Sharon in a couple games of euchre. They were close and we were winning both but they came from behind to win both of them. We were all tired from our long night and called it an early evening. We got Rob & Sharon set up out in the family room on the new self-inflating air mattress that Annie bought. It was actually nice and they said they slept well. Matt & Taylor will be thrilled that they won’t have to sleep on the floor anymore! 😊 Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis19.07.37 sis19.07.38 sis19.07.39 sis19.07.40 sis19.07.41 sis19.07.42 sis19.07.43 sis19.07.44 sis19.07.45 sis19.07.46 sis19.07.47 sis19.07.48 sis19.07.49 sis19.07.50 sis19.07.51 sis91.07.52 sis19.07.53 sis19.07.54 sis19.07.55 sis19.07.56 sis19.07.57 sis19.07.58 sis19.07.59 sis19.07.60 sis19.07.61 sis19.07.62 sis19.07.63 sis19.07.64 sis19.07.65 sis19.07.66 sis19.07.67 sis19.07.68 sis91.07.69 sis19.07.70 sis19.07.71 sis19.07.72 sis19.07.73 sis19.07.74 sis19.07.75 sis19.07.76 sis19.07.77 sis19.07.78 sis19.07.79 sis19.07.80 sis19.07.81 sis19.07.82 sis19.07.83

We all enjoyed sleeping-in on a sunny Saturday morning. Rob joined me out in the driveway to check fluids in the vehicles. We found Abby’s wiper fluid line had split and was shooting all over her engine compartment. So, we went to Topps and got supplies to repair it as well as new hardware for the cornhole boards. We successfully repaired Bu’s car and then I wrote out bills while the kids ran to the store to get supplies for the day. Ann made a big batch of biscuits and gravy and the adults enjoyed cocktails – mimosas for the ladies and Bloody Marys for the gents. Rob made a couple different ones for us. One was made with a yummy mix from Green B.E.A.N. company. Then he made us a strong, spicy one with homemade jalapeno vodka that Ann made last year. Poor Luke thought he had sold his airsoft gun, but it turned-out to be a scam. I got on the computer and we filed a claim with eBay and PayPal, so we’ll see how it resolves itself. Matt & Taylor came over in the mid-afternoon, just before Abs and Garrett went up to Deer Creek to see the Chris Young concert. The crowd was the largest one the band had ever played in front of. It was about that time that we went out back and set up the cornhole boards and proceeded to play for the next several hours. Rob grilled out burgers and dogs on the grill and Ann made a vat of homemade mac & cheese that was amazing. Luke went to the fair and then spent the night at Oakley’s house. We enjoyed the sun, music, cocktails and cornhole all evening and when the sun went down and the security light kicked-in, we continued to play until about 2 am! I’m sure the neighbors loved us, but we pretty much kept things on the down-low. We had a great time. We even had a couple neighbors drop by on a golf cart at about the time that we were wrapping up. They wanted to play, but we were done by that point and retreated to the porch to wind down the evening. We got everything cleaned-up and put away outside and called it a night. We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp19.07.34 smp19.07.35 smp19.07.36 smp19.07.37 smp19.07.38 smp19.07.39 smp19.07.40 smp19.07.41 smp19.07.42 smp19.07.43 smp19.07.44 smp19.07.45 smp19.07.46 smp19.07.47 smp19.07.48 smp19.07.49 smp19.07.50 smp19.07.51 smp19.07.52 smp19.07.53 smp19.07.54 smp19.07.55 smp19.07.56 smp19.07.57 smp19.07.58 smp19.07.59 smp19.07.60 smp19.07.61 smp19.07.62 smp19.07.63 smp19.07.64 smp19.07.65 smp19.07.66 smp19.07.67 smp19.07.68 smp19.07.69 smp19.07.70 smp19.07.71 smp19.07.72 smp19.07.73 smp19.07.74 smp19.07.75 smp19.07.76 smp19.07.77 smp19.07.78 smp19.07.79 smp19.07.80 smp19.07.81 smp19.07.82 smp19.07.83 smp19.07.84 smp19.07.85

Everyone enjoyed sleeping in on a noticeably warmer Sunday. I intended to get up and cook breakfast, but by the time I got motivated it was already lunchtime. Instead, we went for lunch at El Reparo. Sharon wasn’t feeling particularly well so she and Rob decided to head on back up to Lafayette. When Luke got home, we took all the kids out to eat. We had a good meal and talked and laughed before we said good-bye to Matt & Taylor. Ann went out with her scrapbooking friends when we got home while I did our weekly household chores and set up Betty White over at WTRE for the fair parade, later that day. I relaxed in the A/C all afternoon, watching the NASCAR races from Kentucky Speedway. Gigi offered us a pair of tickets for the Cup race. Although it would’ve been a blast, we were happy to spend the weekend with Rob, Sharon and the kids and just hang out at the house. The kids took naps before we walked over to the station and sat in the back of the pickup, under the gazebo in the front lawn of the station – as has become tradition. It was still the best seat in the parade route again this year. Ann got back from making a new picture and decided to nap and ice her knees instead of joining us at the fair parade this year. It was a hot one, but the gazebo kept us cool, thankfully. We again banked an entire Walmart bag of candy this year as well as popsicles, t-shirts, cookies and Jimmy Johns sandwiches – thanks to Bryan, Angie, Rick, Lynn and Rich. We came home and Luke went out to the fair while Abby & Garrett took another nap. Ann & I watched some DVR’d shows and chilled-out, enjoying the air conditioning, culminating with Fear the Walking Dead and Big Little Lies. Garrett drove home and when Luke got back from the fair, he had quite a story to tell. Apparently, there was some drama with some of his girlfriends (friends that are girls, that is) when another fair patron grabbed one of the girls and tried to make a move. Luke and friends confronted the boy and got the law involved. We were proud that he did the right thing. He showered and played Fortnight while Ann & I called it a week – worn-out from our long week.

Next up is our Waybac section which continues to feature our #19 and final family photo album. We lead off this week with an old picture of Grandpaw Brown, circa early sixties; then we move on to 2002 to see professional pix of Megan, Austin & Leila as well as another of Megan, this time in 2003. Then, we move on to 2004: Ann & girls on their staff retreat in FLA in May, Luke with Gma & Gigi at the little circus that came to town, out at the fairgrounds in June; another picture from Walt Disney World in June; Grace’s birthday party in Westport in July; Brooke Drake in September; Abby seeing Santa in December and an old add for the Parkside Deli in December as well.

Waybac.1963.gpbpp01 Waybac.2002.12.mocp Waybac.2002.12.tak01 Waybac.2002.12.tak02 Waybac.2003.12.mocp Waybac.2004.05.awr09 Waybac.2004.05.awr10 Waybac.2004.05.awr11 Waybac.2004.05.awr12 Waybac.2004.06.gc02 Waybac.2004.06.gc03 Waybac.2004.06.gc04 Waybac.2004.06.gc05 Waybac.2004.06.kach10 Waybac.2004.06.kach11 Waybac.2004.06.hach12 Waybac.2004.06.wdw567 Waybac.2004.06.wdw568 Waybac.2004.06.wdw569 Waybac.2004.06.wdw570 Waybac.2004.07.gbdp05 Waybac.2004.07.gbdp06 Waybac.2004.07.gbdp07 Waybac.2004.07.gbdp08 Waybac.2004.09.bdsp Waybac.2004.12.aosl01 Waybac.2004.12.tpsda01 Waybac.2004.12.tpsda02 Waybac.2004.12.tpsda03

We wrap up with our video section which includes two new home movies this week as well as several from around the internet.

And that does it for this week’s episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply