Tell Me can You Feel It…The Heat is….On

We managed to make it through another week since we last touched base…despite it being so darn hot. We probably could’ve predicted this would happen, to be honest. We dealt with the threat of rain every day and severe heat warnings because, you know, it’s fair week! Is there any other way to spend fair week? Despite the heat index averaging over 100°, we managed just fine and didn’t allow it to slow us down. Matt continued to study for his teacher’s license exams and is ready. He hopes to get them done very soon. He met with his team in Zionsville to discuss the coming school year and is ready to get started with his career. Abby worked the first half of the week then went out of the state with Garrett and his family for a long weekend getaway. Luke tried to be a two-sport athlete, but ended up focusing on football, including scrimmaging against two teams. Ann dealt with some stress and tons of meetings at work as her company moves to a new computer system but continued to make progress with her knees – she looks a little better every week. I managed to drop the ten pounds I gained over the last couple weeks as I met my workout goal of fifteen miles for the first time in few weeks. The county fair has come and gone and we began to turn our attention to the coming school year. Hello again and welcome to the latest installment of the Scheu Family Blog.

We started off the week much like we ended last week – hot, muggy and in the nineties. It was back to work for Ann & I as well as Abby. Luke got to sleep in with the dogs then had football practice that afternoon. He ended having to call Gma for a ride when Blane was a no-show to pick him up and he was late to practice. I had a long day of reports, but with Justin gone this week I only left the office once for a meeting and got a ton of my work done. I also returned to complying with my diet, fasting most of the day and eating a keto-compliant dinner. I walked just shy of a 5K after work and although it was hot and humid, at least it was overcast and there was a breeze, which made it bearable. I picked up Luke & Sam from football practice that evening while Ann rested her knees and napped. We stopped and the boys grabbed Chester’s Chicken for a fast dinner before taking them home. I logged-in my latest Hot Wheels finds while Ann slept, watching some DVR’d shows on the big screen and enjoying a relaxing evening in the air conditioning. Here are pictures from Luke’s football scrimmage last week vs. Centerville.

lp19.07.03 lfsc19.01 lfsc19.02 lfsc19.03 lfsc19.04 lfsc19.05 lfsc19.06 lfsc19.07 lfsc19.08 lfsc19.09 lfsc19.10 lfsc19.11 lfsc19.12 lfsc19.13 lfsc19.14 lfsc19.15 lfsc19.16 lfsc19.17 lfsc19.18 lfsc19.19 lfsc19.20 lfsc19.21 lfsc19.22 lfsc19.23 lfsc19.24 lfsc19.25 lfsc19.26 lfsc19.27 lfsc19.28 lfsc19.29 lfsc19.30 lfsc19.31 lfsc19.32 lfsc19.33 lfsc19.34

Although Tuesday was more of the same, weather-wise, it was overcast all day and it eventually stormed pretty hard but didn’t last long. I ran Ann to a meeting across town, which broke-up the monotony of the day then walked a 5K at the mall while it rained outside. It was the first time back in the mall since the weather broke earlier this year. It had a couple more store closures – in fact, only ten places were open for business – and four of those were restaurants and one was a kiosk. Abby had a good dentist appointment then worked late at Wings & Rings. Luke returned to football practice and was a sweaty mess when he got home after getting McDonald’s for dinner with his buddies. He was all happy that evening – he got in his new spirit gear for football and Ms. Ann got his driver’s ed exam all set-up for tomorrow. I got Matt and Abby’s good student discounts extended for their car insurance with our agent that evening. On our way home, Ann & I stopped by the fairgrounds. I just pulled off on Park Road and ran in to get Lett’s fish and tenderloin as well as a Smyrna pork burger for our dinner – they were outstanding as always…and I completely avoided the midway! That evening, we relaxed with the dogs in the air and began watching the first several episodes of SVU season 20… Here are pictures from last weekend’s Fair Parade down Park Road.

fp19.01 fp19.02 fp19.03 fp19.04 fp19.05 fp19.06 fp19.07 fp19.08 fp19.09 fp19.10 fp19.11 fp19.12 fp19.13 fp19.14 fp19.15 fp19.16 fp19.17 fp19.18 fp19.19 fp19.20 fp19.21 fp19.22 fp19.23 fp19.24 fp19.25 fp19.26 fp19.27 fp19.28 fp19.29 fp19.30 fp19.31 fp19.32 fp19.33 fp19.34 fp19.35 fp19.36 fp19.37 fp19.38 fp19.39 fp19.40 fp19.41 fp19.42 fp19.43 fp19.44 fp19.45 fp19.46 fp19.47 fp19.48 fp19.49 fp19.50

Wednesday was a fast day at work for Ann & I. Abby came to Columbus to have her hair done with Jami then dropped by to see her momma for a while. She called me and came over to pick me up and take me to lunch. She wanted Steak n Shake so she could get chicken, fries AND a shake. 😊 She dropped me off then came home to get changed and go to work at BWR that evening. After she dropped me off, I walked three miles around the airport property to work off that burger. I picked up Annie and headed back to town early. We went to the elementary school and registered Luke for 10th grade – WOW… Ya know, we do this every year and still can’t understand why we have to leave work early instead of doing this online. I mean, surely 90% or more of the parents have to a computer or a smart phone with internet access – right? Meanwhile, Luke had his final exam – his driving test – for his driver’s ed class. Just as we knew he would, he passed with flying colors!! Way to go, little buddy!! He wound up scoring a 99 out of 100 – wow! He cleaned up his room and the family room then I ran him out to the fair for the evening. Ann & I relaxed with the dogs, watching more SVU on the big screen. Luke came home with his buddies early because it started pouring again. It was the last night for the fair, which can only mean one thing – school starts in just a couple weeks. Here are the latest additions to my Hot Wheels collection.

hwc19.07.43 hwc19.07.44 hwc19.07.45 hwc19.07.46 hwc19.07.47 hwc19.07.48 hwc19.07.49 hwc19.07.50 hwc19.07.51 hwc19.07.52 hwc19.07.53 hwc19.07.54 hwc19.07.55

I was up early on Thursday to take Ann to work. Although I had the day off, I stuck around work to meet with a contractor before heading back home. I ran errands then Abby and I went out to Walmart for supplies before I started in on my weekend honey-do list. I got the bathroom sink un-clogged and zip-tied up the new TVs cords that Rumba manages to dig out each morning. Luke helped me trim the bushes out front. We were absolutely soaked when we got back inside due to the Excessive Heat Warning that began at noon and was expected to stay through Sunday. I came in to get a drink and cool down before I headed back over to Columbus to get Annie. I went early so I could walk on the people trail down by the river that runs right by the hospital, where Ann had a meeting that afternoon. However, when I got there she ended up finishing early so we just came home and I walked out at the park and fairgrounds. There were very few signs of the fair still out there, as they moved-out overnight. There was the portable amphitheater still out there, a few barricades in the livestock barn and some workers – that was about it. After sweating out three-plus miles on another severe heat warning day, I woke up Ann and we went out to the high school. Meanwhile, Luke had got cleaned-up and left with Blane for football practice. Abby rested up, did laundry and then drove to Garrett’s house for the weekend. She was excited because they had plans to go with his family to Kentucky to go through the caves, go canoeing and stay in a cabin down there! Luke was fired up to play some football on a scorching evening. He played in a three-way invitational with Connersville and Greenfield. They put varsity on one end and we drove around to watch the JV on the far end of the practice field. We ended up setting up the gazebo to give us some shade. It wasn’t too uncomfortable – we chased the shade as the sun set and enjoyed a steady breeze out there as always. Luke started at fullback on the offensive side and middle linebacker on the defense, recording several tackles. We left when the JV ended and came home to shower. Luke went out with Blane and their friends to eat before coming home. Annie & I watched some DVR’d shows and of course some more of SVU season 20. I love the new feature on our DVR on certain channels – Smart Resume – I push fast-forward and it stops after the commercial break automatically! Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

sis19.07.84 sis19.07.85 sis19.07.86 sis19.07.87 sis19.07.88 sis19.07.89 sis19.07.90 sis19.07.91 sis19.07.92 sis19.07.93 sis19.07.94 sis19.07.95 sis19.07.96 sis19.07.97 sis19.07.98 sis19.07.99 sis19.07.100 sis19.07.101 sis19.07.102 sis19.07.103 sis19.07.104 sis19.07.105 sis19.07.106 sis19.07.107 sis19.07.108 sis19.07.109 sis19.07.110 sis19.07.111 sis19.07.112 sis19.07.113 sis19.07.114 sis19.07.115 sis19.07.116 sis19.07.117 sis19.07.118 sis19.07.119 sis19.07.120 sis19.07.121 sis19.07.122 sis19.07.123 sis19.07.124 sis19.07.125 sis19.07.126 sis19.07.127 sis19.07.128 sis19.07.129 sis19.07.130 sis19.07.131 sis19.07.132 sis19.07.133 sis19.07.134 sis19.07.135 sis19.07.136 sis19.07.137 sis19.07.138 sis19.07.139 sis19.07.140 sis19.07.141 sis19.07.142 sis19.07.143 sis19.07.144 sis19.07.145 sis19.07.146 sis19.07.147 sis19.07.148 sis19.07.149 sis19.07.150

Friday had an unusually hot/humid start around 80 degrees. Ann’s glasses instantly fogged up when she walked outside for work due to the muggy conditions on another severe heat warning day. Although I was off work again, I ran Ann over to Columbus before coming back to trim and mow our yard before it got too crazy hot. I got in a sweaty mile and a half workout before coming in to shower and cool down. I logged in the rest of my new Hot Wheels and chilled with the dogs on the couch while Luke continued to sleep in after staying up late last night. Later, I drove back to Columbus to pick up Ann from work and we went out for lunch at Arni’s. When we got home, we found time for a quick nap in the A/C. Luke’s baseball game got cancelled as the Reds had to forfeit, so that raises the Cubs’ record to 9-3 on the year now. Luke’s next game is scheduled for Wednesday, so as to not interfere with football – which I thought was really cool of Josh (the league president). With no baseball, that opened up our evening. Once it cooled down a little, Luke drove he & I in Betty White out to get his hair cut then on to Mom & Sandy’s house to mow. He worked out in the yard while I went inside and visited with the girls. Afterward, he drove us to Taco Bell for dinner and then we did some Walmart-ing before coming home to cool down and spend a quiet night at home. Ann got Abby all set up to return to the Franklin campus this fall and continued looking up her stuff, Luke played Fortnight and screamed at his monitor while I binge-watched Jessica Jones’ season 3 until late. We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp19.07.86 smp19.07.87 smp19.07.88 smp19.07.89 smp19.07.90 smp19.07.91 smp19.07.92 smp19.07.93 smp19.07.94 smp19.07.95 smp19.07.96 smp19.07.97 smp19.07.98 smp19.07.99 smp19.07.100 smp19.07.101 smp19.07.102 smp19.07.103 smp19.07.104 smp19.07.105 smp19.07.106 smp19.07.107 smp19.07.108 smp19.07.109 smp19.07.110 smp19.07.111 smp19.07.112 smp19.07.113 smp19.07.114 smp19.07.115 smp19.07.116 smp19.07.117 smp19.07.118 smp19.07.119 smp19.07.120 smp19.07.121 smp19.07.122 smp19.07.123 smp19.07.124 smp19.07.125 smp19.07.126

We all enjoyed sleeping in on Saturday morning. Luke was actually out of bed before me! I checked fluids in the vehicles then ran Ann out to Walmart to get supplies for her party later that day. Luke & I pressure-washed the back porch and the west side of the house during another severe heat warning. Although it felt like “the armpit of America” – as Ann put it – we kept cool since we were working with water all day. The Gilliland-Howe funeral home bought tickets to the city pool and allowed the first one hundred people to swim for free on the scorching day – how cool is that?! I took Ann out to Mallory’s bridal shower that afternoon. After finishing out back, putting away all our stuff and picking Annie up at Hampton Inn, we got cleaned-up and relaxed in the A/C, snuggling up with the dogs and watching DVR’d shows on the big screen for a couple hours and may have gotten in a small siesta. Ann cooked Chile-lime salmon, roasted potatoes and roasted cheesy broccoli. It really hit the spot! It was the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing. We thought there would be more specials on the TV, but there really wasn’t much. Instead, we watched a couple hours of Ancient Aliens. 😊 As the sun was setting on that gorgeous summer day, Luke drove Betty White over to Dairy Point where he and I got ice cream for the three of us. Ann & I finally had a chance to watch the Mary Poppins Returns movie while Luke played Fortnight until late. It was the perfect way to wrap up our Saturday as we took it easy on another quiet evening. We heard from Abby, who had fun going kayaking today. She had a pretty good sunburn from the looks of things but said she had a blast.

We all enjoyed sleeping in on Sunday morning. I watched the taped UFC event from last night before eventually getting to our weekly household chores. Luke slept until about one before resuming his spot at his desk in the family room. Ann resumed her spot, sleeping in the recliner. And I resumed my spot on the couch with the dogs, binge-watching more of the latest season of Jessica Jones. Later that afternoon, Luke drove Ann to the store in Black Betty while I finished laundry and watched the NASCAR race from New Hampshire. When they came home, they made a big batch of jalapeno popper dip and taco salad for dinner. It began raining during dinner and continued raining until bedtime, which is hopefully going to bring us some relief from the heat this coming week. We wrapped up the evening watching Fear the Walking Dead then Luke & I celebrated National Ice Cream Day with some Graeter’s while watching Captain America on the big screen. It was a relaxing way to wrap up the week before we start it all over again tomorrow…

Next up is our Waybac section, which continues to feature pictures from our photo album #18. We lead off with a classic photo of Ann’s relatives, circa 1960s; then we move to a great picture of Matt at Kevin’s studio, downtown in September 1997; Abby at the YMCA in May 2000; a twelve year-old Dena Marie in 7th grade from September 2001; Kayla (7) and Kaylie (3) Burdine in December 2001; Abby’s last day of pre-school, out in the city park in June 2004; Luke’s first haircut at Joann’s salon in June 2004; Luke playing in the backyard with his big bouncy ball in June 2004; Matt playing baseball at the city park for the Devilrays in June 2004; my Father’s Day card in June 2004; Abby & Grace and Luke & Sandy at Gma & Gigi’s house, prepping for the 4th of July parade in July 2004; another picture of Dena Marie – this time age 15 in tenth grade in September 2004; Abby’s soccer team (Matt & I coached it) at the YMCA in October 2004; Hunter & Haley Gross in 2004; Bev & Doc Linville in the Lafayette Journal & Courier, celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary in November 2011; Abby & Luke at ‘Cookies with Santa’ in Columbus in December 2004; and finally Abby amidst a sea of presents and wrapping paper in our living room in December 2004.

Waybac.1960s.afp Waybac.1997.09.mopob01 Waybac.2000.05.awwgma01 Waybac.2001.09.dm7g12yo Waybac.2001.12.k7ak3b01 Waybac.2004.06.aldos01 Waybac.2004.06.aldos02 Waybac.2004.06.lfhc05 Waybac.2004.06.lwgb01 Waybac.2004.06.lwgb02 Waybac.2004.06.mbdrp01 Waybac.2004.06.tfdc01 Waybac.2004.07.foj10 Waybac.2004.07.foj11 Waybac.2004.07.foj12 Waybac.2004.07.foj13 Waybac.2004.07.foj14 Waybac.2004.09.dmb15.10gp Waybac.2004.10.asp01 Waybac.2004.10.asp02 Waybac.2004.10.asp03 Waybac.2004.10.asp04 Waybac.2004.10.hahg01 Waybac.2004.11.badlwa01 Waybac.2004.11.badlwa02 Waybac.2004.12.alsl01 Waybac.2004.12.alsl02 Waybac.2004.12.alsl03 Waybac.2004.12.sfc01 Waybac.2004.12.sfc02

We wrap up with our video segment which includes one long home movie from this week along with a slew of others from around the internet.

And that does it for this episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply