Sick as a Dog, You’ll be Sorry…

We’ve had another interesting week, here at the Scheu abode. Matt had another up and down week as he continued to teach and coach wrestling in Zionsville. We were thrilled to see him for a while this week. Abby had a stressful week at school as she went through the interview process to become an RA and said she had a few tests as well. We were sure happy to see her for a little while this week as well. Luke was again a two-sport athlete this week, attending football and baseball practices – both before and after school – this week. We didn’t see much of him because of that as well as him spending a lot of time with friends. Ann had a health scare this week, getting very sick and required hospitalization. We are so thankful that as I write this tonight, she is doing so much better and is nearly all the way back on her way to a complete recovery. Because of all the stuff going on this week, I came nowhere close to my exercise goal and my diet wasn’t too hot either as I chose more comfort food than healthy food to keep my mind right. The dogs did much better at getting along this week. In fact, they seem to have turned a corner. Not only is Delilah forming a special bond with Molly as they play and hangout outside all the time. But now, we’ve seen Lola playing with Delilah – both inside and out. Although she’s still grumpy, Lola is at least starting to recognize Delilah has the right to exist in the house now. And ‘Lilah is starting to learn her place in our canine hierarchy, which helps to keep the peace. The weather was all over the place this week, with rain, snow, ice and temps in the teens to wind, clouds, sun and temps in the 60s. If you don’t like the Indiana weather, just wait a day – that’s what mom always used to say. Either way, it was beautiful today. And although we aren’t sure how long it will last, we’ll take it whenever we can get it! Hello again and welcome to the latest entry of the Scheu Family Blog.

We had a wet start to our week on Monday morning as we drove through the rain during our morning commute back to Columbus. Luke had a long day. He had classes, including Advanced PE, where he lifted. After school, he went to football workouts where lifted and then went on to baseball practice that evening. Ann & I went into work. We both had long days. Justin & I did a ton of our annual regulatory requirements and even did some stuff on my laptop over lunch at China Buff. Ann wasn’t feeling well and toughed it out as long as she could, but we ended up leaving a couple hours early so she could come home and lay down. That meant I did not get a chance to walk that night. Annie was running a fever again and was out like a lightbulb when her head hit the pillow that afternoon. That left me alone with the dogs on a cold, wet evening. However, it did allow me to watch some shows Ms. Ann doesn’t particularly like, such as the return of the 10th season of Walking Dead, the John Oliver show as well as the penultimate episode of this year’s Doctor Who season. Later, Luke received a call from Oakley who reminded him that they had a big Chemistry project due tomorrow…so Luke wound up out there at his house, where they studied till late…and then he just ended up staying the night out there. Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

lp20.03.01 sis20.03.01 sis20.03.02 sis20.03.03 sis20.03.04 sis20.03.05 sis20.03.06 sis20.03.07 sis20.03.08 sis20.03.09 sis20.03.10 sis20.03.11 sis20.03.12 sis20.03.13 sis20.03.14 sis20.03.15 sis20.03.16 sis20.03.17 sis20.03.18 sis20.03.19 sis20.03.20 sis20.03.21 sis20.03.22 sis20.03.23 sis20.03.24 sis20.03.25 sis20.03.26 sis20.03.27 sis20.03.28 sis20.03.29 sis20.03.30 sis20.03.31 sis20.03.32 sis20.03.33 sis20.03.34 sis20.03.35 sis20.03.36 sis20.03.37 sis20.03.38 sis20.03.39 sis20.03.40 sis20.03.41 sis20.03.42 sis20.03.43 sis20.03.44 sis20.03.45 sis20.03.46 sis20.03.47 sis20.03.48 sis20.03.49

I was up early with the dogs as Ann stayed in bed on Fat Tuesday. She was still feeling awful so she stayed home and stayed in bed the entire day. I had a long day of EOC rounds then walked a 5K outside in the cold, damp weather. Luke had a good day at school then went to football practice afterward. He picked up Molly’s meds for me after practice then went out running around with his buddies for a few hours. I came home and Ann was still asleep in bed. She slept all night and didn’t get up. Matt had an up and down day. He took his final licensure test again but had the same result as previous attempts, unfortunately. We encouraged him to stick with it and not get down, but he’s had a heck of a time with that Social Studies exam. Thankfully, he had wrestling to take his mind off things that evening; and the boys didn’t disappoint, winning again. That brings their record up to 11-5 on the year. The dogs were wild that evening, going in and out every few minutes. It rained all day again, so I had to clean/dry them each time they came in – which got old pretty fast as you might expect. I ended up falling asleep early on the couch (big shocker) and Luke turned-in early as well, in preparation of ISTEP testing tomorrow.

The dogs did not do well overnight and had me up twice in the early morning. I just stayed up and got ready the second time – after cleaning up pee and poop in the kitchen. At least it was mostly on piddle pads! Luke got up early as well on Ash Wednesday. He went into Leadership Academy before school. This is a football thing, but I’m not exactly sure what they do there. He was a little stressed over his ISTEP testing that day. Ann was still sick in bed. She had slept all night and did not go into work again that day. She didn’t want to hear my input. I finally texted George and called her mother to see if they could give me some direction on what to do for her or at least try to talk some sense into my strong-willed wife. I went in to work, but Mom O came over a couple times to check on Annie and even brought her some noodles and tadies (Matt would be jealous!). I had another long day of EOC Rounds. It helped that Justin, Vic & I went to Sirloin Stockade for lunch, to get my mind off things for a short moment. Luke said his Leadership Academy went well and he felt really good about how he did on the ISTEP test (English). I left work immediately after I finished my EOC rounds and did not workout, obviously concerned about Ann’s rapidly declining health. It was just as well as it was snowing pretty hard and had been snowing for most of the day (after it finally stopped raining). I ran a couple errands for Ann then relieved Luke at home, who had stayed home that afternoon to be there for Annie, in case she needed anything – per Grandma’s directive! He went out running around with his friends but came home early after the weather turned bad and the roads started to get freeze and become slick. Ann actually got up for a couple hours but promptly fell asleep in her chair. After she puked a little stomach bile, she went on back on to bed. She continued to run a temperature and so we finally got her to agree to see a doctor tomorrow. Here are pictures of some recent additions to my Hot Wheels collection.

hwc20.03.01 hwc20.03.02 hwc20.03.03 hwc20.03.04 hwc20.03.05 hwc20.03.06 hwc20.03.07 hwc20.03.08 hwc20.03.09

I was up early with the damn dogs again Thursday morning. Molly is having issues again, despite taking her meds. When the vet gave us her diagnosis of bladder cancer last year, this was about the time when he estimated she may start nearing the end of her life due to the progression of the disease. Outside of the frequent trips outside and the bloody accidents that are becoming more regular inside, you’d never know she was having issues as she is as happy, loving and energetic as she has ever been. She is still smart as a whip as well. I came back to bed to go back to sleep and fell asleep for about ten minutes and she wanted out again. She had Delilah barking this time so I let them all out and just hopped in the shower to begin my day. I stayed with Ann that day, worried that she was letting this go too long. I worked from home and got lots of stuff done as she continued to stay in bed and sleep all day again. Luke got up and went in to school on a cold, icy morning in the twenties. I salted the walkway and he made it safely to school, where he had day two of ISTEP. Today, he was taking on the math portion of the test. He said it was pretty hard. Meanwhile, I called and spoke with both George (who finally received the results of Ann’s UA from Monday – her second such test after her first one was thrown out and not tested) and Dr. Mungcal’s office, who were able to squeeze her in that afternoon. It stopped snowing late that morning and the sun came out, giving the appearance that it was actually warm outside…but what shock it was when we left to go to the doctor – brrr! We saw their Nurse Practitioner, who was as concerned with Ann’s health as Maryann, George & I were. She was very cool and we liked her. Ann showered but was still disheveled and obviously off her game. The NP was quick to send us straight to the emergency room and even called ahead to expedite things for us. While in the ER, they did some tests and confirmed what we had suspected – that she had a nasty UTI that had become a kidney infection and was dangerously close to becoming sepsis. They hooked her up to an IV and started giving her fluids for dehydration and a super antibiotic (George called it Gorilla-cillin) for the infection. Due to the fact that she is allergic to so many families of meds, she is truly limited to what she can take for an issue such as this one. To that end, there really wasn’t a pill she could take that would combat this form of infection…so they admitted her due to needing the IV antibiotics for a few days. After a long day of ISTEP testing, Luke & Oakley didn’t have practice due to a death in the school administrator’s wife. In lieu of practice, the baseball team all went to the viewing together, which I thought was really classy. Afterward, they came up to see us in room 313 and we visited while they got Ann all settled in for her Spa Day. Once she was all set, we said goodnight to Ann and I took the boys (who were starving at that point!) to eat at El Reparo. I dropped off Black Betty at Jerry’s shop for an oil change tomorrow after turning 328K miles this week and Lukey drove me home. That allowed Ann to get some rest and me to let the dogs out and watch the Purdue / IU game, taking place at a loud Mackey Arena. Luke ended up staying the night at Oakley’s house again after studying for Chemistry that evening…but how do you study with a PS4?? 😊 The dogs were rowdy while I was trying to watch the ballgame. The Roomba ran for the first time since the Code Brown last month. I had pulled the kitchen chairs up and turned them upside down off the edge of the table to let “Randy” clean underneath the table that day. The little dogs don’t have issue with it, but big / clumsy Delilah (the moose) knocked one off that evening and I think it must’ve landed on her, because she was totally freaked-out by it and came running into the living room…where she promptly peed and then jumped up on the leather couch. I took her outside and cleaned everything up – but when I tried to let them back in, she wouldn’t leave the family room. So, she went back into her pin for the night as the Boilers pulled off the upset in a truly ugly game. I fell asleep with the dogs on the couch and woke up at some point and made my way back to the bed…

Luke & Oakley were up early and came back into town for baseball practice before school on Friday morning. The dogs did better overnight. Delilah was still tentative about going to get food & water that morning before I left the house. I gathered a few things for Ms. Ann and came back to the hospital where she was enjoying her Spa Day – lol. Because the snow all melted by the time I got home last night, I was surprised to see we had received another dusting overnight as I headed back in to DCMH. Mom O came to visit Annie that morning. We had a student come in and did some sort of total-body eval that lasted like three hours! Sandy worked just down the street, holding a fundraiser with WTRE for Big Brothers / Big Sisters. She was dressed as a hippo out on Lincoln St. What I wouldn’t have given to have seen that live – but at least she sent us a phone and video! She said she was going to come up to see Ann but they wouldn’t let her in dressed in the hippo suit. I’m not sure if that’s the truth or not…LOL! Abby came home to see her momma after her classes at FC. Matt took a half day off from teaching at Z-West and came down with Taylor to surprise Mom. Later, Lukey came over to her after classes let out at GCHS. We spoke with the doctor who was obviously concerned with her allergy status, regarding the antibiotics. After talking with her, he decided to try an allergy challenge with her. He selected a med that she reacted to when she was younger. The way he explained it was that the body will sometimes “reset” itself after a decade. He said that if she could tolerate it, then they would send her home instead of keeping her all weekend, which was exciting news, though not without risk, of course! As it turned out, she did great and later that afternoon, they released her just under 24 hours after she was admitted. We picked up her meds and came home, where all the kids had gathered. We got Ann settled in and showered. And when she took a nap, I took the kids out to eat at ElRep again. We picked up Black Betty afterward and grabbed Ann some takeout before heading home. It was snowing pretty good that evening and we had about a half inch of accumulation of the fluffy flakes by the time we went to bed. Luke & Abby went on to the high school basketball game, where it was Senior Night for the Pirateers. Abby, Mary & Molie were there to support Julia. Dave Calabro from WTHR – channel 13 (the Indy NBC affiliate) made a stop at the game for Operation Basketball and we were featured on the news that night. Luke & Drew were in the cheer block and although Drew made it onto TV, Luke did not. He went out afterward with friends until late. Abby came home and hung out with us for about an hour before she headed back to campus on an icy night. Meanwhile, Matt, Taylor & I hung out with Ann and we watched Doctor Sleep for like two and a half hours. We had no idea how long it would be. I think all of us nodded off at one point during that movie. But it was a cool show – especially on the big screen. Matt & Taylor decided to stay the night with us. The dogs were awesome that evening with all the kids home. We need to have everyone over more often because the dogs just sopped up all that attention… We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp20.03.01 smp20.03.02 smp20.03.03 smp20.03.04 smp20.03.05 smp20.03.06 smp20.03.07 smp20.03.09 smp20.03.10 smp20.03.22 smp20.03.23 smp20.03.24 smp20.03.11 smp20.03.12 smp20.03.13 smp20.03.14 smp20.03.15 smp20.03.16 smp20.03.17 smp20.03.18 smp20.03.19 smp20.03.20 smp20.03.21 smp20.03.08 smp20.03.25 smp20.03.26 smp20.03.27

We got to sleep in a little bit on Leap Day. It was a cold start in the teens when Ms. Taylor drove back to her apartment to get ready for work. We visited with Matt for a while before he got cleaned-up and went over to eat breakfast and spend time with Grandma. Luke & I were going to check fluids in the cars that morning but it was too freaking cold outside. Instead, we ran a couple errands and grabbed breakfast at Taco Bell. That afternoon, Matt headed back up to Indy while Ann, Luke & I took it easy after enduring a long couple of days. Matt had an interview for a part time job at a bar up in Indy where Taylor works that evening. He thinks he’s pretty sure he got the job. Ann & I got caught up on our DVR’d shows that afternoon while I wrote out html code for this week’s blog. Luke ended up going out with his friends all day. He returned with Oakley later and ran to Koch’s for us to grab our carryout dinner. They played some Fortnight then went out for the evening. When they came back, Oak spent the night with Luke. I fell asleep while watching Grace & Frankie with Ann and wound up going to bed early.

After sleeping for about ten hours, I got up with the sunrise and the dogs on Sunday morning. Ann slept better than she has in quite some time – which in turn meant that I, too, slept well. I slowly got around to doing our weekly household chores while Ann recuperated in her chair. Oakley got up and went to work while Luke slept in. However, when he left, he woke up the Grump-meister, who showered and then shared his grumpiness with us. We were thankful when he went out to run around with friends again all day. It was gorgeous outside, getting up above the 60° mark by the time I got out and checked fluids in the vehicles. The dogs stayed out much of the day, enjoying the unseasonable weather but were all muddy when they came in. Ann was feeling pretty good that day and made an odd discovery, claiming that her poo had no odor. She attributed it to all the antibiotics she’s taken. As much as I love her, I chose not to verify her claim at first. However, I later did confirm her claim and told her that she could say it again – much to her pleasure – that her, “shit didn’t stink.” I was glad to see her appetite returned as well. She hadn’t eaten anything for the first four days this week and was back to eating normal by the time it ended. Luke came home that evening and resumed his position in front of his PS4, playing GTA while Ann and I wound down the day by watching several nature shows while waiting for The Walking Dead to come on. It was a relaxing way to wind down a week that was more exciting than we would’ve liked…

Next up is our Waybac section, which continues to feature a few random photo albums from our bedroom closet. We lead off this week with a couple more pictures from Ann’s photography class at FC, circa 1990; then we move on to more photos of our wedding reception and honeymoon in September 1995 – including a couple great ones of Mom; and then wrap up with a card Abby made during our Daddy / Daughter Day at the Y in February 2005.

Waybac.1990.apc29 Waybac.1990.apc30 Waybac.1995.09.tawr157 Waybac.1995.09.tawr158 Waybac.1995.09.tawr159 Waybac.1995.09.tawr160 Waybac.1995.09.tawr161 Waybac.1995.09.tawr162 Waybac.1995.09.tawr163 Waybac.1995.09.tawr164 Waybac.1995.09.tah71 Waybac.1995.09.tah72 Waybac.1995.09.tah73 Waybac.1995.09.tah74 Waybac.1995.09.tah75 Waybac.1995.09.tah76 Waybac.2005.02.ddd4

Next up is our video section which features one small group of clips to create a one short home movie this week as well as several from around the internet.

And that does it for this week’s episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply