I Know when to Go Out…and Know When to Stay In…Get Things Done

Spring has sprung everywhere! It’s that special time of year when our landscape is changing again and everything is returning to life. All the trees are budding and the flowers are blossoming. The grass is turning green and growing again. The farmers are slowly returning to their fields. The birds are singing loudly – but that one outside our bedroom window needs to find a new home! Although it is lovely, our sinuses and eyes are suffering. The whole family has seasonal allergies from all the pollen in the air. Matt had the week off for Spring Break. He stayed put all week, practicing social distancing. He had plans to go to Tennessee, but I’m pretty sure those plans fell through due to the whole country shutting down. The Coronavirus pandemic continues to ravage the world and Decatur County continues to lead the state in cases per capita. Abby continued to stay here at home with us, which I won’t lie…was pretty cool. But I feel bad for her missing out on her campus life. She had the week off from e-learning for her Spring Break this week as well. Luke shared his quarantine with Abby, hanging out at the house this week as his school is still closed. He will finally start classes next week, I think. He will do e-learning along with Abby, Matt and the rest of the state through the remainder of the year. …Which in turn means baseball season is officially over before it even began. How utterly sad for Luke and his teammates – especially the seniors. He really needed this year of JV ball to build for a shot at a varsity position next year – now all of that is up in the air… Ann worked all week and got around better on those new knees of hers. She said it was due to the steroids she was taking, but I see her getting stronger each week. Hopefully, we can go for walks around the neighborhood soon! I worked a full week as well. My diet and exercise helped me lose another three pounds this week as I logged nearly nineteen miles of exercise. Even though this COVID-19 is absolutely horrible; if there is a positive that has come from all of this – it is that our family bond is stronger than ever. Instead of running here and there, we’ve been forced to stay home. That means Ann is cooking more, we are eating dinner at the table together, we’ve been playing board games and even hanging out on the back porch – all of which, I have to admit, I have thoroughly enjoyed. We are enjoying the warmer weather, getting outside more and looking forward to more of that in the weeks to come. Hello again and welcome back to the Scheu Family Blog.

It was back to work for Ann & I on a cool morning. While Abby enjoyed her first day of Spring Break, Luke’s break also continued as they slept-in on a gorgeous day. Luke worked on cleaning out his closet until the kids took Barney uptown to get the tires pumped up in a couple of our mountain bikes. They rode around the neighborhoods for about an hour to get some energy out. I had a fast day at work, doing my first day of EOC rounds and then walked three miles, logging about 14K steps! Ann said she had a typically long Monday. That night, we had another family night. Ann made a jalapeno chicken dish that was delicious and we sat and ate at the table like a normal family. Afterward, we cleaned-up the kitchen, ran the dishwasher and played a game of Clue. Ms. Abby was the super sleuth that evening. Instead of a movie that night, we watched the shows we taped last night – The Walking Dead and American Idol – up on the big screen. You-know-who fell asleep and was asked to go to bed and wear his c-pap… While we were watching TV, Ann read the amended announcement for our county – that the travel ban had been upped to only work and back because of how bad it was hitting Decatur right now. Seems some of us aren’t doing our part to flatten the curve! Here are random pictures from our recent adventures.

lp20.04.01 sis20.04.01 sis20.04.02 sis20.04.03 sis20.04.04 sis20.04.05 sis20.04.06 sis20.04.07 sis20.04.08 sis20.04.09 sis20.04.10 sis20.04.11 sis20.04.12 sis20.04.13 sis20.04.14 sis20.04.15 sis20.04.16 sis20.04.17 sis20.04.18 sis20.04.19 sis20.04.20 sis20.04.21 sis20.04.22 sis20.04.23 sis20.04.24 sis20.04.25 sis20.04.26 sis20.04.27 sis20.04.28 sis20.04.29 sis20.04.30 sis20.04.31 sis20.04.32 sis20.04.33 sis20.04.34 sis20.04.35 sis20.04.36 sis20.04.37 sis20.04.38 sis20.04.39 sis20.04.40 sis20.04.41 sis20.04.42 sis20.04.43 sis20.04.44 sis20.04.45 sis20.04.46 sis20.04.47 sis20.04.48 sis20.04.49 sis20.04.50 sis20.04.51 sis20.04.52 sis20.04.53 sis20.04.54 sis20.04.55 sis20.04.56 sis20.04.57 sis20.04.58 sis20.04.59 sis20.04.60 sis20.04.61 sis20.04.62

We had a cold drive into work on Tuesday morning. In fact, I was cold all day. Not sure if I’m coming down with something or what is up with my old body. I would assume it’s seasonal allergies, since absolutely everything is in bloom right now. I had another fast but tiring day of EOC rounds – again collecting about 14K steps. I walked a brisk three miles after work. It would’ve been ideal to walk at the mall, but I assume it’s still closed due to the Coronavirus pandemic. We ran to Walmart for dog food and milk and ended up walking out with two shopping carts’ worth of goods. We still haven’t seen any toilet paper and now the trash bags were short of supply. Thankfully the eggs and milk are fully stocked again, so some things are coming back to normal stocks. That evening, Abby began work on making a paddle for her sorority sister. Back in the day, we just bought them and had them engraved. This is more personal for sure, but I doubt many would’ve been done if we had to do as much work as she is putting into it. We had a clean-out-the-fridge night and then began work on a puzzle. Ann & I both fell asleep in the living room that evening, worn-out from our days. The kids were a little restless that night due to being cooped-up all day with it being barely in the 40s that day. We did get the message that evening that the city is closing all the restaurants tomorrow night. Wings & Rings went ahead and closed that night and we missed-out on getting any of their bleu cheese – now I’m sad… And I feel bad for El Reparo. They just re-opened yesterday, after being closed for a couple weeks and now they have to close again. It’s a scary time right now… But on a positive note, it was Dad B’s birthday. We all texted him through the day and then tried to call him that night, but instead we just sang Happy Birthday to his voicemail. 😊

What happened to spring?? It was cold as hell on April Fools’ Day morning- brrr! Ann and I had fast, busy days. I dropped her off at the office and worked for a couple hours before I picked her up and went to have our fingerprints taken as the next step of our quest to get our carry permits. Unfortunately, with the COVID-19 bull crap, the sheriff’s office is closed to the public, so after work we stopped to get money orders so we can send in the final payment and get our licenses. After getting our fingerprints taken, we stopped by Arni’s to get takeout for lunch. I, of course, had to have the Senior salad with their house bleu cheese dressing. After a fast afternoon, I walked three and a half miles around an eerily empty campus and airport property. We came home and ran a couple errands and picked up El Rep for dinner before they are forced to close tonight, along with the rest of the restaurants in town. We had a nice, sit-down dinner with the kids and enjoyed our favorite Mexican food for one final time before the quarantine tightens in the morning. We cracked open the 450 N growler of Honey Kolsch, which we ended up polishing off. We played a game of Sorry with Abby getting bragging rights for the night again. We played a quick game of Yahtzee as well and she creamed me in that too! We moved to the living room and watched a couple FBI shows before calling it a night. Here are pictures of recent additions to my Hot Wheels collection.

hwc20.04.01 hwc20.04.02 hwc20.04.03 hwc20.04.04 hwc20.04.05 hwc02.04.06 hwc20.04.07 hwc20.04.08 hwc20.04.09

We had a really cold start below freezing on Thursday morning. Ann & I had fast days at work. My morning was really busy as I worked on a couple of computers to help our company adjust to the COVID crisis. Justin & Vic bought me Five Guys for lunch, which was awesome! The afternoon flew by as I got all my in-house tasks done so I can work from home tomorrow. By the time I got outside, it was in the mid-sixties and made for a lovely day for a walk. I got in a quick 5K before picking up Annie and heading home. We took the long way home and stopped by to do a welfare check on Mom & Sandy. They were doing great and it was nice to talk with them. We kept a six-foot barrier to make sure we didn’t get them sick accidentally. Luke & Abby had come over to see them earlier that day, riding their bikes across town and getting in about an hour of biking exercise. When we got home, the girls made dinner while Luke & I went out to throw a baseball in the front yard. It was bittersweet because earlier that day, the governor had announced that all schools have been cancelled through the rest of the year. Of course, that means that baseball season is officially cancelled. ☹ Now we are just hoping that this shit will be finished by football season! Ann’s cheesy chicken broccoli and cauliflower rice was outstanding! It really hit the spot. Abby helped me with dishes and then she and Ann worked on the puzzle for a couple hours. Luke & I watched Oak Island and a new show called Skinwalker Ranch. Later, we all settled in and watched the new episode of SVU before calling it a night.

We pushed snooze a few times on Friday morning. We slowly got up and went to work. I dropped Ann off uptown and came back to work from home. I actually got a ton done and have myself in a good position for next week. Abby got up and fixed herself breakfast and hung out with the dogs. She enjoyed waking Luke up with Delilah and then they rode bikes over to see Gma & Gigi again. They got about halfway home when a random dog started following them. It followed them for about a mile. Rather than just coming on home and leaving the dog to fend for itself, they turned around and went back to the area where they first saw the dog and found someone who knew it. I was proud of them doing the right thing. I finished up work and wrote-out the bills for this pay period. I was ready to get out and enjoy the gorgeous, 70-degree weather. Bu and I rode bikes out to the park. It was empty because technically it is closed to the public, I think. We got in about three and a half miles then chilled-out for a while until Ann woke up from her long nap. That evening, we fired up the grill for the first time this year. Ann made pork chops, corn on the cob, homemade French fries and salad with her homemade Shallo’s ranch dressing – yum! Afterwards, Ann & Luke each enjoyed some private time while Abby & I had porch time. We watched the sunset, hung out with the dogs and played poker for a couple hours. We finally came in when the neighbors started having a loud disagreement that even made the dogs blush. We have lots of social media pictures to share this week.

smp20.04.01 smp20.04.02 smp20.04.03 smp20.04.04 smp20.04.05 smp20.04.06 smp20.04.07 smp20.04.08 smp20.04.09 smp20.04.10 smp20.04.11 smp20.04.12 smp20.04.13 smp20.04.14 smp20.04.15 smp20.04.16 smp20.04.17 smp20.04.18 smp20.04.19 smp20.04.20 smp20.04.21 smp20.04.22 smp20.04.23 smp20.04.24 smp20.04.25 smp20.04.26 smp20.04.27 smp20.04.28 smp20.04.29 smp20.04.30 smp20.04.38 smp20.04.31 smp20.04.32 smp20.04.33 smp20.04.34 smp20.04.35 smp20.04.36 smp20.04.37 smp20.04.39 smp20.04.40 smp20.04.41 smp20.04.42 smp20.04.43 smp20.04.44 smp20.04.45 smp20.04.46 smp20.04.47 smp20.04.48 smp20.04.49

We slept in a little on Saturday morning before getting up and doing our annual spring tasks around the house. I slowly got moving and while Lola went to bed with Abby; Molly & Delilah came outside with me. Ann got her scrapbooking stuff out and did a Zoom video chat with Shawna and her other friends and they scrapbooked together while social distancing…how cool is that!? I got the Husqy mower up and running. It took me a little while but I eventually got it going and mowed the lawn with it. I did the same with the trimmer and weeded the lawn after I finally got it running. Luke eventually got up and joined me outdoors as I was trying to get the blower running. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get it to stay fired long enough to even use it. I spoke to Vic and he said he would work on it next week. We grabbed the Husqy and loaded it in the van and headed over to Mom & Sandy’s house next. We mowed their lawn but since the blower wasn’t running, we didn’t trim. Hopefully, we’ll have everything working next weekend so we can do it right. We finished up there and offered to run to Walmart for them since we were headed there ourselves. As it turns out, they are getting parking lot delivery from the Shelbyville Walmart. Luke & I got some groceries as well as supplies from lawn & garden as well as automotive so we could do our work today then ran past Rural King for a few other items. When we got back, we checked fluids in the vehicles and let them run for a while, since they’re not exactly getting much use. We even got the truck de-winterized and got it running. I got a bottle of transmission stop leak in it, but I think it might need another one, since most of it leaked-out onto the driveway over the winter. Next, we filled in holes in the backyard with the topsoil we bought today. Wouldn’t you know it, our littler furry friends dug it out and were actually eating it! I’m not sure what the attraction was for Molly & Delilah, but they went around and dug up every damn hold we filled. We were going to plant grass seed, but there was no need since the dogs won’t leave the lawn alone. We put in a new air filter and got Luke’s old Craftsman mower up and running. In fact, it ran smoother than it did all of last year. Luke helped me get the crawl space opened-up and ready for the warmer weather that’s finally upon us. After that, the kids and I assembled our new fire pit on the patio. We came in and got cleaned-up and I took an ibuprofen because I knew my body would be hurting! I think I got a little sunburn for my trouble today. The girls made dinner – Ann’s delicious enchiladas and Mexican street corn. That evening, we broke in the new fire pit with our first fire. It was only semi-successful but my first try at building one in several years. We did get the fire going, but it was too cold and windy to enjoy it for long. We stayed out for about an hour or so – long enough for a cocktail and a couple smores. We came in and the kids went their separate way while Ann & I watched a couple DVR’d shows – including the series finale of Hawaii Five-O.

Molly had me up early but not soon enough on Sunday morning, as she had an accident before I could get her outside. I went ahead and got an early start to our weekly household chores. The rest of the house slept in, which left me with a quiet morning with the dogs. Annie got up and did some virtual scrapbooking with Shawna and friends again, from the kitchen table. I checked in my new Hot Wheels and wrote out the html code for the blog while binge-watching season 2 of Westworld. I think we all napped for a little bit on an overcast afternoon. Ann made pork fried cauliflower rice. Mom & Sandy did a drive-by cookie drop-off and Delilah went flying out the door when went to go get the goodies off the porch. Her Easter sugar cookies were the perfect dessert after Ann’s yummy dinner. We chilled out that night and watched a couple things on the DVR, including The Walking Dead. It was a nice way to put a cap on our night and wind down another fast week.

Next up is our Waybac section which continues to feature those random photo albums we found stashed in the back of our bedroom closet. We lead off with a ton from Ann’s photography class at FC, circa 1990; then we have some great pictures of Ann, Keith, Dee & Stacey at our wedding in Greensburg in September 1995 and then our wedding reception later that night in Columbus.

Waybac.1990.apc58 Waybac.1990.apc59 Waybac.1990.apc60 Waybac.1990.apc61 Waybac.1990.apc62 Waybac.1990.apc63 Waybac.1990.apc64 Waybac.1990.apc65 Waybac.1990.apc66 Waybac.1990.apc67 Waybac.1990.apc68 Waybac.1990.apc69 Waybac.1990.apc70 Waybac.1990.apc71 Waybac.1990.apc72 Waybac.1990.apc73 Waybac.1990.apc74 Waybac.1990.apc75 Waybac.1995.09.taw99 Waybac.1995.09.taw100 Waybac.1995.09.taw101 Waybac.1995.09.taw102 Waybac.1995.09.taw103 Waybac.1995.09.tawr189 Waybac.1995.09.tawr190 Waybac.1995.09.tawr191 Waybac.1995.09.tawr192 Waybac.1995.09.tawr193 Waybac.1995.09.tawr194 Waybac.1995.09.tawr195 Waybac.1995.09.tawr196

Next up is our video section which features one short video clip this week as well as several from around the internet.

And that does it for this week’s episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. Stay safe out there. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply